Pundit tool for collaborative semantic indexing of web resources

Lee, Edmund

Apr 16, 2014, 4:41:31 AM4/16/14
to anti...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

This time last year Pundit  got a mention in a post about a DM2E project event at the BM.  I wonder if any Antiquistas have had a chance to experiment with this open source tool?

https://thepund.it/

It strikes me that with the launch of the UK terminology standards as linked data last Summer at http://www.heritagedata.org/blog/ plus the ever increasing amount of digitised cultural heritage available online this is very much an ‘idea whose time has come’… but I don’t have the expertise myself or the IT infrastructure to experiment with it!

How cool would it be if every time you came across something interesting on the web you could just call up an option in your browser and instead of ‘bookmarking’ it index it with the power of a thesaurus based tool, and thus link it to all the other resources indexed with the same terms. And share those indexing links with others. And search on all the marked-up resources that had been found by others working in the sector…

All good wishes, and hoping to hear that someone out there is doing this already!

Ed

Edmund Lee

Knowledge Transfer Manager

Capacity Building Team

English Heritage, The Engine House, Fire Fly Avenue, Swindon. SN2 2EH

01793 414719

www.english-heritage.org.uk/professional

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of English Heritage unless specifically stated. If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately. Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it. Any information sent to English Heritage may become publicly available.

Portico: your gateway to information on sites in the National Heritage Collection; have a look and tell us what you think.
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/professional/archives-and-collections/portico/

Ed

Apr 16, 2014, 10:10:49 AM4/16/14
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Just as a follow up, a useful Slideshare from information designer Mark Barratt on approaches to annotation online led me to the W3C developing standard for Open Annotation, which looks like an initiative we should be doing something with (with major respoct to those who already are... :-))
Ed

Leif Isaksen

Apr 28, 2014, 3:54:16 PM4/28/14
to Antiquist
Hi Ed

sorry for slow follow up. I haven't seen Pund.it since a workshop
earlier last year but this is pretty much exactly what Pelagios (and
similar initiatives like SNAP) are doing too. We've found that
ontologies like Open Annotation make it comparatively easy to build
open, decentralised and scalable graphs across the Web that link
together different kinds of resources. This isn't an alternative
approach to more 'heavyweight' ontologies like the CIDOC CRM, but a
complement to them. In fact several different parts of an ecosystem
are starting to emerge:

1. taxonomies and concept schemes (especially those defined in SKOS)
provide the shared conceptual terms, including places, people,
canonical references and classificatory schemes

2. 'lightweight' annotation ontologies such as Open Annotation
provide aggregation by facilitating the interlinking of resources with
the concepts they contain, as well as alignment between concept
schemes

3. 'heavyweight' ontologies can provide the opportunity for
inferencing once 1 & 2 are established

4. of course all of the above is just 'infrastructure'. there is also
a need for people to actually produce annotations/data compliant with
these models, which needs tools, APIs and human interfaces for both
production and consumption of the data.

There's a lot going on in this space right now (and pund.it is a great
example), but also huge amount of potential for people to contribute.
The conversation is a bit dispersed at the moment but I'd recommend
people joining either the CAA Semantic SIG and ADHO LOD SIG if they
want to get involved. The USP of Linked open Data is that can link us
all together so the time has come for much more collaboration and
interlinkage between projects.

All the best

Leif

Kai-Christian Bruhn

Apr 28, 2014, 5:23:06 PM4/28/14
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Ed,

not too much to add, except for few experiences we have with pund.it in
a joint research project, the partner in which is using it (1).
From what I understood, the annotated passage of the webpage is stored
depending on its "setting" within the html-element structure. So any
change, e.g. cms-adaptions, would break the linking of the data. You'd
need highly stable webpages or versioned content to link to.

Best
Kai

(1)
http://www.spatialhumanities.de/en/ibr/technology/software-architecture.html