lib vs. library

Jens Rantil

Dec 9, 2013, 7:32:18 AM12/9/13
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ansiblers,

I've been using Ansible for the last couple of months. It's great! I'm already up to speed with contributions/pull requests and I there has been times when I've had to read the source code to make sure I understand what an Ansible module has been doing.

That said, I'd say I'm through the beginner's stage as of now and I thought I should report on a big annoyance that hits me every time I visit the Ansible source code; There is one 'lib' folder and another 'library'. (Yes, 'lib' is an abbreviation for 'library' for those who don't know it.) Every time I revisit the source code  and I don't know which one I should go into. I can't be the only mixing them up.

I know I am dropping a bomb here but I suggest that at least one of them should be renamed. However, both of them has their own annoyances, so if you'd ask (naive) me I'd probably
  • move '/lib/ansible' to '/ansible' since '/lib' doesn't contain anything else than...ansible; and
  • rename '/library' to '/modules' because that's what the folder actually contains. This change would would probably also lead to searching for './modules' relative to playbooks, possibly phasing out  ./library.
Comments on this? Has it been discussed before? Would you be willing to accept pull requests for anything of this kind?

Cheers from Sweden,
Jens

Michael DeHaan

Dec 9, 2013, 9:34:53 AM12/9/13
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
We're not going to move anything at this time.

I think you can get used to it.

Michael DeHaan <mic...@ansibleworks.com>
CTO, AnsibleWorks, Inc.
http://www.ansibleworks.com/

Jens Rantil

Dec 10, 2013, 5:33:31 AM12/10/13

Den måndagen den 9:e december 2013 kl. 15:34:53 UTC+1 skrev Michael DeHaan:
We're not going to move anything at this time.

Aight. It's your call.

I think you can get used to it.

Sure, and the next thousand users can too. ;-) I'm not thinking of me, but more them.

Cheers,
Jens

Michael DeHaan

Dec 10, 2013, 9:45:48 AM12/10/13