AnsibleWorks is now just Ansible!

Michael DeHaan

Jan 28, 2014, 9:08:17 PM1/28/14
to ansible...@googlegroups.com, ansible-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

As you know we like to keep things simple around here.

When we started the company, Ansible wasn't quite available, so we named the company AnsibleWorks.  We've finally arranged things so it was possible to change that, and have done so,and we're pretty excited about being able to make things simpler by dropping five letters and an extra syllable.

Recently you've seen us flip twitter over to @ansible, the doc site has moved over to docs.ansible.com quite recently, and releases too -- releases.ansible.com, and finally, now, the main page has too.  You can check our new web site out at http://ansible.com/

If you've been around the doc site, you've already seen the new logo.

Company and project wise, absolutely nothing has changed, it may take a while before some of us switch over to using the new email address, but mic...@ansible.com works too, should you not be sure.  No worries about updating address books or emails bouncing.

I should also note we're also relabelling our UI to "Tower", since AWX was kind of confusing.  This will take effect in the pending release, ETA very very soon!   Tower because it's a communications platform, more or less.

James Cammarata will provide some details in a bit later about OAuth updates to Galaxy, since that domain name change may require some reconfirmation of some authentication bits.

Thanks all!

--
Michael DeHaan <mic...@ansibleworks.com>
CTO, AnsibleWorks, Inc.

James Cammarata

Jan 28, 2014, 10:07:47 PM1/28/14
to Michael DeHaan, ansible...@googlegroups.com, ansible-...@googlegroups.com
Hey all, as Michael noted we're moving all of the domains to ansible.com, which now includes Galaxy too - https://galaxy.ansible.com. If you use the old URL, you should be redirected.

As part of this move, we consolidated/reorganized some of the various Oauth accounts we were using, which required us to generate new Oauth information. As a result, for Twitter and Github you may see it ask again to verify that Galaxy can authenticate against your accounts. Google did not require a change.

If you have any problems with either of the above, please let us know here or in #ansible.

Thanks!

James Cammarata <jcamm...@ansibleworks.com>
Sr. Software Engineer, AnsibleWorks, Inc.
http://www.ansibleworks.com/

C. Morgan Hamill

Jan 29, 2014, 9:21:48 AM1/29/14
to ansible-project
Excerpts from Michael DeHaan's message of 2014-01-28 21:08:17 -0500:
> When we started the company, Ansible wasn't quite available, so we named
> the company AnsibleWorks. We've finally arranged things so it was possible
> to change that, and have done so,and we're pretty excited about being able
> to make things simpler by dropping five letters and an extra syllable.

Out of sheer curiosity, did you have to get permission from Orson Scott
Card or something?
--
Morgan Hamill

Michael DeHaan

Jan 29, 2014, 9:48:25 AM1/29/14
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Ah, no :)  We just had to get the domain and twitter handle and get some graphic design and site things to happen.

Technically, Ursula LeGuinn used it first -- though I still haven't read that particular book from her just yet.

I am quite a fan of Ender's game though, and that's what I named Ansible for.  Not so much the "long-distance part", but the part about controlling all the ships at once, at the end.

Michael DeHaan <mic...@ansibleworks.com>
CTO, AnsibleWorks, Inc.

C. Morgan Hamill

Jan 29, 2014, 11:57:50 AM1/29/14
to ansible-project
Excerpts from Michael DeHaan's message of 2014-01-29 09:48:25 -0500:
> Technically, Ursula LeGuinn used it first -- though I still haven't read
> that particular book from her just yet.

Ahh, right, I forgot that she got to it first.

> I am quite a fan of Ender's game though, and that's what I named Ansible
> for. Not so much the "long-distance part", but the part about controlling
> all the ships at once, at the end.

It's a very good name for the particular piece of software. :)

I'm all about Speaker for the Dead, myself.
--
Morgan Hamill