Problem when leraning progress comes to an end

Clemens M. Hürten

Mar 16, 2012, 11:13:13 AM3/16/12
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi!
 I have created a deck with more than 700 items because I am preparing me for an examination which will be March 21. 10 days ago, Ankidroid told me, that there were no further cards to learn and showed up 0 cards for the next day. I think that this is a bug in the calculation of leraning progresses, because even in this status there will be some cards, which are not so well remembered than others.
In order to do further leraning and not forgetting something, I selected "more to learn" and then AnkiDroid presented me all the 721 cards in my deck one after another. OK, no problem, if it will go on to push well learned cards in the last order of the deck. I leraned about 100 cards. Next day, when I started AnkiDroid it showed again, that there are 0 cards to leran and so I started with the same  "more to learn". But now AnkiDroid showed me the same cards, I had already learned yesterday successfully!

So what kind of nonsense is this? The only thing which I could do was, to transfer the deck to my desktop computer and reset all the cards to the status "new cards" so to start learning completely new. My impression is, that there should be a modus in AnkiDroid, which will become active, when you have learned all cards and so it will present you further cards in order to keep your knowledge on that learning level.

Did I make a mistake in using AnkiDroid or is this a bug? How can one proceed to keep the learned stuff on a goog level?

Kind regards
Clemens

Nicolas Raoul

Mar 16, 2012, 11:17:41 AM3/16/12
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Clemens,

You should not use "Learn more", under normal circumstances.

Before an exam, you can use the cram mode.

Cheers!
Nicolas Raoul

overtu...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2012, 1:18:11 PM3/16/12
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, March 16, 2012 11:17:41 AM UTC-4, Nicolas Raoul wrote:
Hi Clemens,

You should not use "Learn more", under normal circumstances.

Before an exam, you can use the cram mode.

To clarify, the problem is a mistake in the OP's understanding of SRS and memory, not a defect of Anki(Droid). You aren't supposed to review early because not only does it wreck havoc on Anki's intervals but also because it can weaken your memory.  Remember that memories are replaced on recall and reforged with appropriate strength, one strong factor of which is the time since last recall.

For more info see the various Supermemo articles (eg, http://www.supermemo.com/articles/myths.htm)

Clemens M. Hürten

Mar 26, 2012, 5:37:05 AM3/26/12
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Nicolas!

I have seen the cram mode, but in this mode, Anki askes me, which of the categories should be learned. I would have to check all the boxes in order to learn all of the stuff.

My idea of using "learn more" was, that Anki would still use the ranking of cards, which was achieved before using this learning mode. In cram mode, this ranking is not used and so all the cards are shown with the same ranking of importance. I could not know, that Anki's ranking will be disturbed, when using this modus, as I did.

Sincerely yours
Clemens