Creating games using droidscript

Rogue Jedi

Aug 23, 2016, 6:03:51 PM8/23/16
to DroidScript
Im looking to build a game using droidscript but i want it to be a good quality game in terms of graphics an sound ect.. so can anyone tell explain the limits of droidscript and what kind of games i can build with in those limits i would really appreciate it.

JustAnotherDude

Aug 23, 2016, 10:30:02 PM8/23/16
to DroidScript
if you know how Javascript works then you can make a good game... and in Droidscript are OpenGL supportet :)

but its hard in only javascript

but you can forgot to use ultra hd textures and a big map if it possible xD

in fast: yes you can create games if you have the know how but you cant make Crysis 4 ;)

JustAnotherDude

Aug 23, 2016, 10:32:48 PM8/23/16
to DroidScript
if you want to create a game like a online shotter then you can try it.. but you will fail because you have only javascript and OpenGL and all knows: javascript was originaly created for browsers ;)

(if i have understand anything wrong say it pls)

Steve Garman

Aug 24, 2016, 12:13:01 AM8/24/16
to DroidScript
@JustAnotherDude,
You are completely wrong about that.

Games like the online shooter games are among the easiest to create and you are by no means limited to OpenGL.

There are lots of JavaScript game engines available which can be either included in your project or linked to online.

Most of the demo code in this group shows projects that are created with the type "JavaScript" but if you want to make something more like an online game, you have the option of starting by creating an "HTML" app instead.

@Rogue Jedi,
You can make games of good quality and reasonable complexity using DroidScript.
Search in this group for "spaceshooter" or "three.js"

But to build a polished game in any environment you will need to put in quite a lot of effort.

The best way to approach this has to be to become familiar with DroidScript first.

Start by examining the samples that come with DroidScript and build your own simple projects to begin with and get more complex as you learn more.

We can help you with your journey of discovery if you post problems you find along the way and later, when you have the skills, we can help you with problems you find while developing your game.

But we cannot help you with both at the same time. A grasp of the basics is essential to understand what is needed for a complex game.

Symbroson Development

Aug 24, 2016, 12:15:18 AM8/24/16
to DroidScript
You can have a look at my games I made for now.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fofetlsuihrq1za/AAANeN66TzcWad35AX-P4gZXa
I think my best project is Tetris and after that TicTacTo. You can include sound very easily using player=app.CreateMediaPlayer; player.SetFile and player.SeekTo(0) but in my projects I hvnt implemented sounds yet.
But images are not the best solution, GLView is the best (app.CreateGlView(1,1,"Fast2D")
But I hvnt used it for now (but I will do)
regards,
Symbroson
~Alex~

Steve Garman

Aug 24, 2016, 12:20:50 AM8/24/16
to DroidScript
I should also point out that DroidScript is probably the easiest and quickest way of learning to create apps in the first place.

That, combined with its ability to offer complex interaction with the device makes it ideal for a beginner to become an expert in a relatively short time without having to move to other environments.

Dave Smart

Aug 24, 2016, 4:13:15 AM8/24/16
to DroidScript
It may be that JustAnotherDude was talking about online multiplayer 3D FPS games.... in which case, yes you would indeed struggle to make a game like that in DroidScript and would be better off using Unity or something like that.

But for 2d, or even basic 3d games you can still use DroidScript to create good games and you can take advantage of the many JavaScript game libraries written for web browsers that make use of WebGL, Canvas, CSS3d and Box2d Physics.

Once you have mastered the basics of DroidScript and played around with the GLView samples that come with DroidScript, then you can start to think about what functionality your game requires and then select the appropriate libraries/techniques for that game.  If you have an Android tablet or Chrome book, then check out "Funny Dinosaurs", which was made using DroidScript https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shinyapps.funnydinosaurs  If you skip through the story then two in-app games are revealed, the first one is a GLView (openGL) based Flappy Bird clone and the second one is a touch and drag cooking game.  Looking at these will give you an idea for what is possible with DroidScript.

You should also check out the downloadable Phaser game samples in the 'Home/Demos' section of the WiFi editor.  This game engine is well documented and includes Physics and collision detection and various types of game choices.  Its actually far easier to use in DroidScript than on a PC because you don't need to install a local web server :)

Let us know what type of game you want to write and we can probably suggest the best approach for you.

Regards
David

Manuel Lopes

Aug 24, 2016, 7:52:04 AM8/24/16
to DroidScript
dave your dinaussar game not compatible with my phone :( is possible make compatible? lgd290 android 4.4.2;thanks

Hanna

Mar 28, 2017, 4:49:17 AM3/28/17
to DroidScript
Hey i wanna make games too but i'm just a beginner. i'm planning to make an adventure game, any suggestions/advice?

Symbroson Development

Mar 28, 2017, 10:29:57 AM3/28/17
to DroidScript
Do you ever had worked with graphics in other programming languages?
case not I suggest to start with easy games like pong. I'll post two samples soon ;)
Best regards
Alex

Symbroson Development

Mar 28, 2017, 10:40:31 AM3/28/17
to DroidScript
I have a DropBox folder since a year I think where I have stored some of my projects. I think it is worth to look at them - I hope you find some helpful examples of what you can do with DS. Especially the 'Games' foldet may interest you ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0i6c7w50elnu1s6/AABo5e4n_EMkmadcg-NAL5S5a?dl=0

Maurice Bellemare

Jun 7, 2018, 4:43:15 PM6/7/18
to DroidScript
Hi

is there a Javascript which can be used with GLView or maybe the image control, like a canvas, rather than having to go to HTNL mode?

thanks