Ethernet patch for the 4.0.4 ics-x86 variants (applicable to Android-X86 4.0-RC2 as well)

Ron M

Jul 16, 2012, 9:50:54 AM7/16/12
to Android-x86
Hi guys,

For those of you who wanted to integrate an Ethernet patch to their
recent build,
this is a slightly modified version of my previous patch set derived
from the work of Henry, Robill, Yi and others (@see
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-x86/MPoj2Bzd-rE)

Change set:
1. Applies on 4.0.4 variants
2. If an interface called "eth*" exists - it will select the lowest
eth number as the eth device, so that it can connect automatically to
the ethernet device, rather than choose automatically
sit or ipv6 tunneling devices.
3. Removed the misleading "No internet connection" when internet is connected.

I tested it on a couple of IMM76I and IMM76L targets.
There is still more work to be done, but that should get you going
without much trouble.

BTW: I have another patch set which has the ethernet configuration be
toggled by a switch as with the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth case in the
Settings application, but it was too quick, and too dirty so I am not
posting it yet. If anyone would like to have that feature, or even
better work on it (Just need to change the Setting and SystemUI
(Tablet) apps, but it's quite multi-layered so they need to know what
they're doing)

##### How to apply the patch: #####

# Copy the attached tarball to your AX86 build top directory and do
the following steps:

tar -xzvf EthernetPatch_IMM76I_L.tar.gz
cd build/
git apply 0001-Adding-Ethernet-patch-for-android-x86-4.0-RC1-AOSP-4.patch
cd ..
cd frameworks/base/
git apply 0001-Ethernet-support-Patch-for-ICS4.0.4-IMM76I.patch
cd ../../
cd packages/providers/DownloadProvider/
git apply 0001-Adding-Ethernet-patch-Cr-android-x86-4.0-RC1-AOSP-4..patch
cd ../../../
cd packages/apps/Settings/
git apply 0001-Ethernet-support-Patch-for-ICS4.0.4-IMM76I.patch

Some kernel configuration for the interested reader:

##### Kernel Config snippet #####
< CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
< CONFIG_NET_PCI=y
< CONFIG_E1000E=y
< ## XEN
< CONFIG_8139CP=y
< CONFIG_8139TOO=y
<
< ## VirtualBox
< CONFIG_PCNET32=y

Have fun, drive safe.

-Ron
EthernetPatch_IMM76I_L.tar.gz
Message has been deleted

Bruno Cardoso

Jul 16, 2012, 11:48:03 AM7/16/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
To insert the ETH0 have to compile yourself, or have some scheme to install
it without needing to compile, is that I'm no Linux here at home = /

Atenciosamente,

Jul 17, 2012, 4:24:12 AM7/17/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
You can't do it in an ISO image, because the changes are both in
Android platform, and in the kernel.
I put this post for builders, not for users.

I do have an iso with some apps I put the other time, I didn't really
invest time on this one - but X86-sceners published something with
nice apps so you
can rip 'em off his build.

What is your target hardware? If it's XEN/VirtualBox or something that
would run the Asus_laptop config well - I will send you an .iso.

-Ron

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 6:44 PM, frendcarlo <frend...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Can I do this in an ISO image? sorry for this question.. no idea..
> --
> "Android-x86" group.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/android-x86/-/noDnYe1HE00J.

frendcarlo

Jul 17, 2012, 5:01:34 AM7/17/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ron,

Thanks for your reply.  I tried both the official build from android-x86-4.0-RC2-asus_laptop.iso and android-x86-4.0-asus_laptop-20120714.iso from tabletsx86.org and this both works fine on my HP pc but what I'm missing is the ethernet support. The build from tabletsx86.org release has ethernet but it is ipv6 which I don't have in my network.  i look unto the option and i don't see any eth0 and none of the other option in the list works on my network.  I run netcfg to see if there is eth0 and none found.  Do you have an iso for asus that has eth0 support?  Thanks in advance.  >>> Carlo

Ron M

Jul 17, 2012, 6:11:28 AM7/17/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Let's do the following.

I have posted in this group a couple of months ago a link to an .iso
with ethernet support for at least some of the targets.
If that one works for you - I will later upload another iso (for RC2).

Otherwise - you don't have "eth0" enabled simply because it is not
built with your kernel, so we need to identify your NIC.
For that, come up with a live linux CD if you can, let me know what
the output for lspci -k says and I will try to support you on this
one.

How about that?
> --
> "Android-x86" group.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/android-x86/-/QHx-Spx-ZPAJ.

frendcarlo

Jul 17, 2012, 7:15:40 AM7/17/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ron,

The iso version that works with my pc is from the asus_pc/table version of 4.0_RC2 by androidx-86.org site and the one from tabletsx86.org

With regards to the lspci -k, below are the output:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lspci -k
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ/P/PL Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 2a53
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ/P/PL PCI Express Root Port (rev 02)
    Kernel driver in use: pcieport
    Kernel modules: shpchp
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 2a53
    Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
    Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 2a53
    Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 2a53
    Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd
00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 2a53
    Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd
00:1d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 2a53
    Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 2a53
    Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GH (ICH7DH) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 2a53
    Kernel modules: leds-ss4200, iTCO_wdt
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 2a53
    Kernel driver in use: ahci
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 2a53
    Kernel modules: i2c-i801
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV610 video device [Radeon HD 2400 PRO]
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 1041
    Kernel driver in use: radeon
    Kernel modules: radeon
02:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): LSI Corporation FW322/323 (rev 70)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 2a53
    Kernel driver in use: firewire_ohci
    Kernel modules: firewire-ohci
02:04.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7131/SAA7133/SAA7135 Video Broadcast Decoder (rev d1)
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 4871
    Kernel driver in use: saa7134
    Kernel modules: saa7134
02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family LAN Controller (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 2a53
    Kernel driver in use: e100
    Kernel modules: e100

btw, this is the pc I am trying to make work.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01168304&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3561058#N575

Many thanks. >> Carlo

Ron M

Jul 17, 2012, 8:08:05 AM7/17/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I did the search for you... Please try
http://www.sendspace.com/file/l2gebz .
I think E1000/E also contains the drivers for the E100 .

I am now building you another version with CONFIG_E100, and if it
builds OK I will upload it somewhere but it will take some time - and
will be untested (cf. to the previous link which has been thoroughly
tested on a couple of targets).

Please let me know if that iso worked for you, and if it didn't you
can expect a new one (again, untested!) in a couple of hours.

-Ron
> --
> "Android-x86" group.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/android-x86/-/ir2qeV8Nt8AJ.

frendcarlo

Jul 17, 2012, 8:43:14 AM7/17/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ron,

This is great. I will test this and will let you know. many thanks! -->> Carlo

On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:08:05 PM UTC+2, Ron M wrote:
I did the search for you...  Please try
http://www.sendspace.com/file/l2gebz  .
I think E1000/E also contains the drivers for the E100 .

I am now building you another version with  CONFIG_E100, and if it
builds OK I will upload it somewhere but it will take some time - and
will be untested (cf. to the previous link which has been thoroughly
tested on a couple of targets).

Please let me know if that iso worked for you, and if it didn't you
can expect a new one (again, untested!) in a couple of hours.

-Ron

> Hi Ron,
> android-x86+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Ron M

Jul 17, 2012, 8:50:59 AM7/17/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Carlo.
BTW I just uploaded the new build anyway. It should work for your NIC:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/t5a3aj
>> > android-x86...@googlegroups.com.
>> > For more options, visit this group at
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/android-x86?hl=en.

frendcarlo

Jul 17, 2012, 9:40:59 AM7/17/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ron,

I made a test with the old link you gave to me, the screen layout and the speed is great but I still don't have internet using ethernet. I saw an option in the enternet ip6tn but that won't work, also the other option won't. In this build, is there eth0 ? because I think with that it will work.

Thanks again. --->>>
>> > android-x86+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
>> > For more options, visit this group at
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/android-x86?hl=en.

frendcarlo

Jul 17, 2012, 9:43:56 AM7/17/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rod,

Added to this, I don't have ipv6 dhcp. just for info. ---->> carlo

frendcarlo

Jul 17, 2012, 10:13:18 AM7/17/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ron,

Sorry for the wrong name, it's type error :) due to exitement.. :)

Anyway, I test the last build. It work's now with my network using eth0. ^_^ .  I just wonder why there is a red border flashing when I click some icons and during booting.  But it's not a big issue.  I will test further and will let you know.

One more thing,  I have a 4 years old HP Pavillon Entertainment Laptop.  I tried all the iso but none work.   here is the link  http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3474&review=tx1000  it is very slow with windows so i want to put android on it.

Again, Many thanks and More Power!

Device Target -> HP Pavilion s3230nl  --->> Carlo is *dancing*

Ron M

Jul 17, 2012, 10:49:56 AM7/17/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Carlo,
You are more than welcome.

As per the Red-Border: It's because it is a debug build. I won't do a
release build soon, sorry in advance.
You can disable it in Settings->Developer Options->Disable strict mode
(or something like that...)

As per HP Pavilion - lspci -k.
What's working (or not working)? Is only the ethernet not working? Or
other stuff too? Ethernet (should be) relatively easy to fix. Other
stuff may require more efforts...

-Ron

Alshammari

Jul 18, 2012, 3:23:45 AM7/18/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hallo!
I have applied the patches and it works fine, is there a way to set a static IP address?
Thank you!

Ron M

Jul 18, 2012, 6:43:23 AM7/18/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
You should be able to do that form the Settings --> Ethernet menu.
Check the non-DHCP radio button and put your static settings.

If that does not work - go to the console, and configure it with
"ifconfig" as if you were on any linux distribution.
Verify your settings with "netcfg".

Anyway - settings/static IP should work.
> --
> "Android-x86" group.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/android-x86/-/TsS0L4py59AJ.

Alshammari

Jul 18, 2012, 6:56:48 AM7/18/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ron and thanks for your reply!
I know that i can do it from setting or shell commands but i meant if it could be done internally by modifying maybe source code.

On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 12:43:23 PM UTC+2, Ron M wrote:
You should be able to do that form the Settings --> Ethernet menu.
Check the non-DHCP radio button and put your static settings.

If that does not work - go to the console, and configure it with
"ifconfig" as if you were on any linux distribution.
Verify your settings with "netcfg".

Anyway - settings/static IP should work.

>> Hallo!
>> I have applied the patches and it works fine, is there a way to set a
>> static IP address?
>> Thank you!

Ron M

Jul 18, 2012, 7:13:40 AM7/18/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Of course you can. You have the sources :-)

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Alshammari <moalsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ron and thanks for your reply!
> I know that i can do it from setting or shell commands but i meant if it
> could be done internally by modifying maybe source code.
>

> On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 12:43:23 PM UTC+2, Ron M wrote:
>>
>> You should be able to do that form the Settings --> Ethernet menu.
>> Check the non-DHCP radio button and put your static settings.
>>
>> If that does not work - go to the console, and configure it with
>> "ifconfig" as if you were on any linux distribution.
>> Verify your settings with "netcfg".
>>
>> Anyway - settings/static IP should work.

>> > --
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/android-x86?hl=en.

Alshammari

Jul 18, 2012, 7:49:49 AM7/18/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
but do you know which class/file responsible for that? because i couldn't know :)

On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 1:13:40 PM UTC+2, Ron M wrote:
Of course you can. You have the sources :-)

> Hi Ron and thanks for your reply!
> I know that i can do it from setting or shell commands but i meant if it
> could be done internally by modifying maybe source code.
>

> On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 12:43:23 PM UTC+2, Ron M wrote:
>>
>> You should be able to do that form the Settings --> Ethernet menu.
>> Check the non-DHCP radio button and put your static settings.
>>
>> If that does not work - go to the console, and configure it with
>> "ifconfig" as if you were on any linux distribution.
>> Verify your settings with "netcfg".
>>
>> Anyway - settings/static IP should work.

>> > --
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/android-x86?hl=en.

Ron M

Jul 18, 2012, 8:45:16 AM7/18/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Follow the function updateDevInfo() at class EthernetManager. You'll
find whatever you need there.
You'll see the usage in the patch of packages/apps/Settings .

-Ron

>> > --
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/android-x86?hl=en.

Chih-Wei Huang

Aug 13, 2012, 12:24:11 AM8/13/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
2012/8/12 Bruce Q <qua...@gmail.com>:
> I see this patch for RC1 and have no idea how I can apply this to your
> build. Can you help me with this?
> http://code.google.com/p/android-samsung700t/source/browse/islate/android-amaxtouch.patch

This patch has already been added to 4.0-RC2

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Bruce Q

Aug 13, 2012, 5:13:10 AM8/13/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi  Chih-Wei,

How do I get the touchscreen to work with RC2? I tried nearly all the ISO and the only one that seem to have the touchscreen working on my s7s is android-x86-4.0-RC2-s103t.iso.
This image keep giving the error of SystemUI has stopped working though. I tried typing modprobe wacom in debug mode as someone suggested on the forums and this doesn't seem to work either.

Ron M

Aug 13, 2012, 7:30:23 AM8/13/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Bruce - as per SystemUI stopped working - I suggest you disable GPU acceleration (HWACCEL=0 on kernel boot)

Bruce Q

Aug 13, 2012, 9:40:25 AM8/13/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ron. I just tried it and it seems to a bit better but I still get that error Unfortunately System Ui has stopped.
The s103t image doesn't seem to have wireless and sound support on the Samsung Slate.

For now I think I will use your iso with the mouse and keyboard until I find out how to enable the amaxtouch driver.
Message has been deleted

dscm

Aug 13, 2012, 8:16:33 PM8/13/12
to Android-x86
have you tried the builds from:

http://wwww.tabletsx86.org/android-x86-builds.htm

ethernet builds available there...gen_x86 and older generic_x86(no
hwaccel) and there isn't a lot of differences from RC1 to RC2..(imo)

On Aug 12, 10:23 am, Bruce Q <quac...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ron,
>
> Thank you for your build. I have tried all the builds on my Samsung Series
> 7 Slate and yours seems to have nearly everything working except for the
> touchscreen and it doesn't seem to be able to wake up from sleep.
>
> I see this patch for RC1 and have no idea how I can apply this to your
> build. Can you help me with this?http://code.google.com/p/android-samsung700t/source/browse/islate/and...
>

> On Wednesday, 18 July 2012 22:45:16 UTC+10, Ron M wrote:
>
> > Follow the function updateDevInfo()  at class EthernetManager. You'll
> > find whatever you need there.
> > You'll see the usage in the patch of packages/apps/Settings .
>
> > -Ron
>
> > On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Alshammari <moalsh...@gmail.com<javascript:>>

> > > --

> > > android-x86...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.

Bruce Q

Aug 14, 2012, 7:00:21 AM8/14/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
For RC1 the standard files for the asus laptop with the updated files from  http://code.google.com/p/android-samsung700t/  works fine for touch screen and display. However I lose the arm translator and wireless card.
Message has been deleted

Bruce Q

Aug 14, 2012, 9:49:42 AM8/14/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I tried putting this file into /system/usr/idc from the working ISO with the touchscreen. It still doesn't load the touch screen device.
Vendor_03eb_Product_211c_Version_0111.idc

Do I have to load this mk file somehow as well?

fierte

Aug 17, 2012, 4:12:59 AM8/17/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ron,

Awesome job!

Would it be possible to provide steps you took to generate this build?

As I mentioned in my post here: https://groups.google.com/d/topic/android-x86/ouzzu1Pluo4/discussion, your desktop_generic.iso build works for me!

I would like to reproduce it, so that I can add modifications to it.

Thanks,
fierte

Ron M

Aug 28, 2012, 8:44:03 AM8/28/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thank you.

I pretty much explained it before with the kernel config etc.
I would be glad to share my device tree with you but the most of the important stuff is pretty much explained here before, with the listing of the kernel config.
Other than that I added a couple of firmware (ucode) files to /lib/firmware, and did what we all do
I am not sure whether it is legitimate to add the arm-libs and the google apps into a git-hub repository, as they should be proprietary.
Can anyone advice on uploading this stuff (arm-libs, gapps) to github, or some other public repository?
It's pretty simple to find what comes where, but if I share my device tree partially you won't be able to use it as is without the arm stuff.

-Ron

frendcarlo

Aug 28, 2012, 8:58:25 AM8/28/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ron,

Greeting!

I am playing with the android source code by building my own build and I want to apply your patch, but I stop in the portion where you said kernel config as where to find that?

Also, when I make a git patch command, I see warnings, like

"warning: core/pathmap.mk has type 100755, expected 100644"

Btw, I just get the sourcecode the other day so i think i will have the latest one.

With Kind Regards, Carlo

[...]

dscm

Aug 29, 2012, 8:20:27 PM8/29/12
to Android-x86
to all who are having issues with Ron's patch, I applied his patch to
RC2 about a month ago and
it all worked fine....follow his instructions he references in these
threads....will revisit the work in the next week or so
if time permits........

On Aug 29, 4:14 am, Bartek Schmelter <bartek.schmelt...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> How to install Ethernet because I do not understand. View video instructions

frend carlo

Aug 30, 2012, 4:11:57 AM8/30/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bartek,

You just need to follow the instructions from Ron's message. It should work as what dscm says.  I am currently making a build now and I think it will finish by the end of the day.. hehehe!.. I only have Pentium D with 2gb of memory and compiling takes a whole day for me in ubuntu 12.04.

Is there any kind of documentation on where to find the folders for the drivers that I need for my device?  I see some files that has options with "yes" and "no" but I couldn't figure out which of those drivers are for my drivers.. hehehe.. some are initials.  I can google the initials thou but maybe there is a nice tutorial or documentation for this, and is very much appreciated.

Anyway, great work for androidx86 community!.. -- carlo

dscm

Sep 3, 2012, 9:22:04 PM9/3/12
to Android-x86
Ron's patch implemented on RC2 builds:

http://www.tabletsx86.org

select Android-x86 Test Builds

On Aug 29, 8:20 pm, dscm <rbg.hptou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> to all who are having issues withRon'spatch, I applied his patch to
> RC2 about a month ago and
> it all worked fine....follow his instructions he references in these
> threads....will revisit the work in the next week or so
> if time permits........
>
> On Aug 29, 4:14 am, Bartek Schmelter <bartek.schmelt...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > W dniu wtorek, 28 sierpnia 2012 14:58:25 UTC+2 użytkownik frendcarlo napisał:
>
> > > HiRon,
>
> > > Greeting!
>
> > > I am playing with the android source code by building my own build and I want to apply your patch, but I stop in the portion where you said kernel config as where to find that?
>
> > > Also, when I make a git patch command, I see warnings, like
>
> > > "warning: core/pathmap.mk has type 100755, expected 100644"
>
> > > Btw, I just get the sourcecode the other day so i think i will have the latest one.
>
> > > With Kind Regards, Carlo
>
> > > On Monday, July 16, 2012 3:50:54 PM UTC+2,RonMwrote:Hi guys,
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Nate Holcomb

Nov 2, 2012, 9:28:12 AM11/2/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I am a user that can follow directions pretty decently....could someone please breakdown for me how to apply to patch to 4.0 rc2?

Maksim Lin

Nov 4, 2012, 6:47:24 PM11/4/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Nate, I pretty much just followed Ron's instructions (that you quoted below) after following the instructions on how to get the code from here:
http://www.android-x86.org/getsourcecode

and it worked for me, barring the small change I made that I commented on in my previous post.

sundar rajan

Nov 5, 2012, 1:23:55 AM11/5/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

   Ethernet patch is working fine. But At a time, I  can use either wifi or ethernet.
Is it possible to make android to work on wifi and ethernet at the same time as similar to Ubuntu ?

Regards,
Sundararajan

frendcarlo

Nov 6, 2012, 7:26:47 AM11/6/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi WebDrawg,

If the eeepc works for you then try to download the eeepc version in this link www.tabletsx86.org.  Those builds have ethernet patches.  Good luck!

On Monday, November 5, 2012 2:20:07 PM UTC+1, WebDawg wrote:
I installed android-x86-4.0-RC2-eeepc.iso in xen successfully.  It works great except for ethernet/vif support.  I configure it with a vif interface and the OS does not list an eth0 or any eth interface.

I am reading but I would like to ask for direction.  Should I apply the patch below?  Download a build with support already integrated?

I have not ever compiled android but would like to.  Someone mentioned somewhere that the below patch would work if the interface is already there.  Else I would need to compile a module for support.  Are they wrong?

Thanks,

Web..

WebDawg

Dec 3, 2012, 10:49:35 PM12/3/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Anyone have a copy of android-x86-4.0.4-eth0-eeepc-20120911.iso or
know what patches I should put in to make it?

It was on tabletsx86.org but has been deleted.
> --
> "Android-x86" group.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/android-x86/-/Dn0JaeNb9ogJ.

F van Beek

Dec 26, 2012, 4:59:32 AM12/26/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Ron's patch is for the Android source code. It should be run on the system that compiles Android, not within Android itself like you are trying to do.

I've never tried compiling Android myself, so I can't comment on how easy or hard that is to do. You can read more about it on this page:

On 23 December 2012 13:23, Jeya J <jey...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Ron,
I'm new to this field. I gone through your post here and tried to apply the patch. I used both terminal emulator and in debug mode, both returned me 'git' function is not available. what can I do now? I need to apply the eth0 patch. Please help! how and where to exactly apply the patch.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/android-x86/-/spcF275Pq-MJ.

Maksim Lin

Jan 13, 2013, 10:14:39 PM1/13/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
the ipv6 device gets selected by default but you can just change that to use eth0 in the ethernet settings section of android "Settings" .

On Friday, 11 January 2013 02:17:29 UTC+11, Romain Sertelon wrote:
Hi Ron,

I've applied your patch without problems, however, the ethernet service ends up trying to use an IPv6 tunneling interface.

I cannot see the code filtering the interface names to get only eth*, did I missed something?

Cheers,

Romain Sertelon

Jan 14, 2013, 4:38:21 AM1/14/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
@Maksim (sorry hit the wrong button)

I understood that I can select the required interface via the Settings UI, but we don't use it.

We've added support for Ethernet via this patch to benefit from the better implementation of the connection life cycle.

As Ron's stated in his second point, this patch should auto select ethX (with X the smallest possible) when it detects interfaces so we don't have to change it by hand. And this is where I got stuck, because I cannot find where this is supposed to be done (seems missing).

I've modified android_net_ethernet.cpp#netlink_init_interfaces_list to keep only ethX interfaces, but this isn't generic anymore...

Thus, my question :)

Cheers,

Romain

Maksim Lin

Jan 15, 2013, 1:02:53 AM1/15/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Oops I replied directly to you to. Here it is for everyone else:

Hi Romain,

Apologies, I should not have assumed you were asking from the viewpoint of a user instead of a developer.

You're completely correct, eth0 should be selected by default but isn't as you point out and I see the same thing here using Ron's patch.

I think that android_net_ethernet.cpp#netlink_init_interfaces_list should still iterate interfaces other than eth* so I agree its better to add a sort at the end of the function to put eth* at the start of the list.
If you are not planning to write that I might have a go at it in the next few days.

Maks.

Romain Sertelon

Jan 15, 2013, 2:18:35 AM1/15/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi ;)

No problem ! I'm not very fluent in C/C++, so I'd prefer not to code it, to avoid bad practices :p

However, I can try to do it and show you to see if it's okay.

JPT

Jan 16, 2013, 11:58:51 AM1/16/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

which is the most up to date ethernet patch?
I found one at the bottom of the download page of android-x86 and one in the oldest post in this thread.
they look similar but its too much to decide which one is "better" by viewing the contents.

Maksim Lin

Jan 16, 2013, 8:23:14 PM1/16/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Its been a long time since I've done any C/C++ myself, so I'm happy for you too have a go if you have the time and inclination.

If you do do it, feel free to post the patch, I'll be happy to test it out and give any other help or feedback I can.

Romain Sertelon

Jan 17, 2013, 5:53:35 AM1/17/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Based on the publishing dates, Ron's patch (in this thread) seems to be the most up to date patch ;)

Romain Sertelon

Jan 17, 2013, 5:54:48 AM1/17/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I'll see what I can do and keep you posted ^^ (but I cannot promess anything ;))
Message has been deleted