Console OS with Android Inside - Live on Kickstarter

Christopher Price

Jun 12, 2014, 7:47:51 PM6/12/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
All,

I'd like to introduce what we've been engineering (behind-the-scenes) over the past 18 months and how it will help the Android-x86.org community.

Console OS with Android Inside takes a different approach to Android on PC. We're using an Intel-licensed branch of Android to deliver custom-taylored, easy-to-install Android for the PC. We've remastered the user experience, and packed in things like OpenGL ES 3 and Miracast, as well as side-by-side apps and Pro features like windowed app mode.

Also, we're the only bare-metal dual-boot solution that is Windows 8 UEFI signed, with the ability to toggle in less than 10 seconds between Windows 8/8.1 and Android via Console OS. No emulation or virtualization at all.

I'm posting here to note that we today we have announced that we will share all AOSP code contributions that we'll be making, both with Google for inclusion to AOSP, and to other projects like Android-x86.org, should Google not accept the commits upstream. We hope to start that process by year's end.

Clearly, we're taking a different route to get Android to PC, but we hope to see some of the DNA from Console OS rub off on Android-x86 as AOSP gets continuously improved. Cheers!

P.S. Check out the Kickstarter campaign, linked below too, if you get a chance. Many late nights were put into it by everyone on my team.

Christopher Price

Ramana Kumar

Jun 12, 2014, 7:58:14 PM6/12/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Chris
Love the concept.  Contributed to the kickstarter campaign.  Can't wait for dev builds to try it out on my Asus T100...
Good Luck
Ramana

dscm

Jun 12, 2014, 9:27:54 PM6/12/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Christopher Price

Jun 12, 2014, 9:29:48 PM6/12/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Different implementation completely, and not as powerful. Plus Console OS starts at free. DuOS is not after 30 days. We only charge for Pro features, not for getting Android to boot on your PC. And none of our Console OS Pro features are even in DuOS.

But, DuOS is a great solution for machines that can’t run Console OS.

Christopher Price

Message has been deleted

Christopher Price

Jun 12, 2014, 9:58:45 PM6/12/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
You're mistaken. Console OS Pro is different from Console OS Standard. Console OS Standard is free to download and use. You don't have to back the Kickstarter to get Console OS Standard for free when it ships.

We do encourage people who just want the free version of Console OS to back the Kickstarter, as we will ask our Kickstarter backers to vote for what devices and hardware we support next.

Console OS Pro is the only thing that will cost money at retail. You can install Console OS for free on any supported PC. Any time once we ship. We're just rewarding our backers with a more premium version, and free upgrades to it for life.

Christopher Price
ConsoleOS.com

On Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:53:45 PM UTC-7, tabletsx86 wrote:
people should read the documentation themselves.....

"Typically $20/year, we’re going to make Console OS Pro free for life for select Kickstarter backers! That’s right, back us now, get free upgrades for life to Console OS Pro."

are you one of the "select Kickstarter backers" who will get it free...!!!???

DuOS is 9.99 for life after 30 days......

Mauro Rossi

Jun 13, 2014, 8:01:37 AM6/13/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Do you nave a working graphic drivers stack for nVidia chipsets?
Is it based on nouveau or nVidia proprietary drivers?
If it's based on nouveau and you have some early or finalized implementation of gralloc nouveau, would you agree to share to AOSP or provide part of ConsoleOS code to extend Android(x86) support of nvidia GPUs?

Just asking to know the state of the art and your plans

Mauro

Vaidotas

Jun 13, 2014, 1:29:05 PM6/13/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
What about x86 tablet support? Currently Android-x86 still doesn't work on some of recent tablets like Dell Venue 8 and Asus T100. Will you be working on including most recent kernel to Android, or will it be just bootloader solution?

Christopher Price

Jun 13, 2014, 2:02:42 PM6/13/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hardware Voting, part of the Kickstarter campaign process, will tell us how much demand is there for NVIDIA and AMD GPUs. We do have a technical plan there, but how much money we raise is also a factor. This is why we have not said we will support AMD or NVIDIA GPUs just yet.

We are hoping that there is enough momentum to license NVIDIA's Android GPU and implement x86 support. The Android/ARM NVIDIA driver is based around a GeForce ULP core - getting OpenGL ES 3 support on traditional NVIDIA GPUs is do-able with the codebase today.

One of the things the GPU manufacturers have told us, is that there needs to be an OEM-quality version of Android in the marketplace for PCs, before they can start to bring discreet GPU support to Android on PCs. The success of Console OS will be a major factor in getting AMD and NVIDIA onboard with that effort.

Christopher Price

Christopher Price

Jun 13, 2014, 2:04:47 PM6/13/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
x86 tablet support is a major reason why Console OS is so important. Yes, we'll be building support for the Venue 8 Pro, Miix 2, and T100, as well as Intel Core tablets and 2-in-1's.

Our bootloader, and kernel, are not pulled from Android-x86.org. We are using a UEFI Secure Boot-compatible bootloader. It will be code-signed (after the developer releases) so that Windows 8.1 users do not have to disable secure boot, in order to dual-boot with Console OS.

Christopher Price

mike r

Jun 13, 2014, 3:17:10 PM6/13/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I think your just looking for a place to SELL an Open Source OS......Sounds like the old Red Hat Days...

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/android-x86/GrPdnpa6XBM

Mike

Christopher Price

Jun 13, 2014, 3:21:32 PM6/13/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Console OS Standard is free. We’ll fight to keep it free. We only charge for the Pro features that we’re building in-house.

We can’t open-source Console OS because of drivers and other code licensed from industry partners.

Again, we’ll fight to keep Console OS Standard free to download.

No need for animosity.

Christopher Price
ChristopherPrice.net

dscm

Jun 14, 2014, 11:33:44 AM6/14/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
you stated on kickstarter that "Android on the PC. Android taking on the desktop. Lots of people have talked about it -we’re delivering."

but couldn't find the free version to download and try...where is it??

thanks

Christopher Price

Jun 14, 2014, 11:43:38 AM6/14/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
As we noted later on the page, DR1 will ship about 30 days after the Kickstarter concludes. We’re going to complete our Hardware Voting for backers first to add some last-minute systems that we can reach out and support strategically.

Devices like the ASUS TX300 have already popped up and we’re analyzing them. We’re also listening on Surface Pro. There is an allure to downloading an app, and ten minutes later with no complex configuration, getting Surface Pro to run a desktop-friendly version of Android.

To be clear, we haven’t committed to Surface Pro, but we’re delivering Console OS-exclusive ES 3 performance in the technology demos, and we’ll be shipping around 30 days after the Kickstarter campaign ends.

Christopher Price

steve c

Jun 17, 2014, 10:45:33 AM6/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Christopher, will the new OS have a way to install USB drivers for supporting different devices?  One of the big problems I have with Android now and Linux too is no support for hardly any USB devices besides just mice, keyboards and memory sticks.  Most devices you get these days use USB interfaces but Linux and Android have no way to install drivers for any of those devices like Windows does. Windows even installs a lot of drivers automatically unlike Linux or Android. I've been trying to use Linux Mint on my desktop but it doesn't support my printer or even a Logitech USB headset and there's no hope of ever getting my USB microscope or SDR radio to work!  I finally had to switch back to Windows because Linux was just to limiting.  I also have an Android Mini PC that has 2 USB ports but doesn't support USB Ethernet adapters, USB headsets or most other devices besides memory sticks. If your new Console OS can overcome these problems I'd certainly give it a try.

steve c

Jun 17, 2014, 11:25:05 AM6/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Christopher, second question: Do you think most Android apps will install and actually run using Console OS?  When I got my first Android Mini PC (which is basically just the computer part of a smartphone in a little memory stick size case) it was a cheap one using just a single core processor with WiFi and not much else.  When I tried to install Android apps most of them either said they were not compatible or wouldn't run if they did install. The problem seemed to be the lack of all the sensors a phone has such as ones for temp, light, magnetism, acceleration, proximity, etc. as well as a GPS.  When I got a better Android Mini PC with dual core processor called the MK-809 II it either had most of the sensors built in or emulated the ones it didn't have so all the apps will work now.  How do you plan to get around this problem on a PC that doesn't have any of the required sensors?

steve c

Jun 17, 2014, 3:19:32 PM6/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
3rd question, Christopher you claim to support devices like the Lenovo: Miix 2 8-inch and Miix 2 10-inch tablets but I'd like to know how you plan to do that since it's a much different process than installing the OS on a laptop or PC?  Won't the tablet have to be Rooted first then a ROM version of the OS installed on it like you would do if you were installing Cyanogenmod on an Android phone?  That might be very hard to do since there are such a small number of tablets sold compared with phones that no hackers have yet found the time to come up with a way to Root the tablets. Do you intend to release a version of your OS in ROM format that can also Root the tablet when it is being installed?  What if something goes wrong and it bricks the tablet as often happens with phones?

jdw6

Jun 17, 2014, 3:47:53 PM6/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
agree.......

DOA - Google and Microsoft are out to stop dual-boot Windows/Android devices
---

Intel sees dual-boot Android/Windows devices as an avenue toward restoring flagging PC sales...not going to
happen in a 21st century where the mobile environment is taking over.

The objections from Microsoft and Google are a big blow for Intel, whose x86 architecture is the only chip that can run Android next to the full version of Windows 8. The report states that Intel's plan around this is to help OEMs ship PCs and tablets to distribution channels with no OS pre-installed. The device could then be loaded with the desired OS when a customer orders a system.

Christopher Price

Jun 17, 2014, 5:52:40 PM6/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Console OS has done everything by the book and complies with Android/AOSP device and community guidelines, as well as the requirements for mandatory code signing under the Windows Secure Boot program, approved by US and EU regulators.

We welcome talking with Google and Microsoft on how to make Console OS a force for good in both ecosystems. With Microsoft launching more and more Android services, and Google continuing to expand the Android ecosystem... we think there's room for both to enjoy the potential of Console OS.

Christopher Price

Christopher Price

Jun 17, 2014, 6:01:14 PM6/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Answering all three separate posts here.

USB drivers are an evolving topic - in our limited discussions with Google we have made advisements there, and will support a bevy of USB devices under KitKat. It's one of the things we hope to put a lot of elbow grease into. I don't have a full list, but it will include all the stuff you would want typically - from game controllers to mass storage, and even printers too. USB Ethernet works now, and we're working on USB Wi-Fi too. We control the kernel build, we can add that stuff there until a proper Android driver framework system is added - and we have made technical suggestions to Google on that front.

One of the nice things about dual-boot is, we're making it fast so you can switch back to Windows and use that niche accessory when you need to. Apple did this on Mac (with Boot Camp) to great market success, and today OS X gets drivers for most accessories as a result.

In our testing, over 90% of Android apps work unmodified, even on non-touch devices on Console OS. The remaining ten percent typically just need UX modifications for non-touch devices. This includes ARM NDK app compatibility, we're using the latest code there.

On devices with Console OS baked in, all the sensors will work. On community-supported devices (devices that didn't ship with Console OS), we'll support as many as possible. Typically the niche sensors that may have issues are heartbeat and other boutique sensors if there isn't a Linux driver available to hook into.

Console OS installs like a traditional OS on your PC. We wire up Fastboot as a software stack, so OTA updates run via a UEFI app. It's all wired to be using standard Android calls.

You won't have to root the tablet, as PC tablets use UEFI and do not require rooting. UEFI is the PC industry's standard, and it is very much multi-OS friendly. For Developer Releases only, you'll have to disable UEFI Secure Boot, a process that takes about five minutes. This won't be required in the final versions, as we'll submit Console OS v1.0 to Microsoft for mandatory Windows Secure Boot code signing. That will allow you to leave Secure Boot enabled on a Windows PC tablet and toggle over to Console OS.

Christopher Price

steve c

Jun 17, 2014, 9:14:43 PM6/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
>In our testing, over 90% of Android apps work unmodified...
Wow, that's a pretty big claim!  Do you have data to back that up?  I guess it's possible but nowhere near the kind of success I get using Android_86 where only about half the apps run on my laptop.  Some won't install then a lot of them that do won't run and just close right away.

Christopher Price

Jun 17, 2014, 9:25:20 PM6/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
We can’t share internal data, but those are the results. Much of the difference in result stems from that we went through all the paces to license drivers and system enablers that ensure the Android system talks to hardware properly, then made adaptations to expand its support to existing hardware.

Most Android apps that don’t perform well on Console OS (that 10%) typically are not NDK or Dalvik code issues (we’re Android API-compliant there), but rather stem from not adapting game or app dynamics to work in non-touch environments. We’ll be reaching out to developers on that front to embrace the non-touch APIs that are already in Android.

Christopher Price

jdw6

Jun 17, 2014, 9:33:18 PM6/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
pure vaporware....

Christopher Price

Jun 17, 2014, 9:35:54 PM6/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
You can watch videos on our Kickstarter page and in the FAQ, see for yourself.

It’s not productive to just call something vaporware - but I’ve invested 18 months of my life into licensing everything and building a team to make Android on x86 into something that can be licensed - calling it vaporware is something I will respond to each and every time.

Christopher Price

steve c

Jun 17, 2014, 10:09:31 PM6/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I don't think it's vaporware, you have probably created something but the video just shows you talking.  When are you going to have a Beta version for us to try out to prove that it exists?

Christopher Price

Jun 17, 2014, 10:13:29 PM6/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
If you watch the launch video completely, you’ll see we demo later in the video live OpenGL ES 3 demos running at 60 fps on native Android using Console OS. We’re the first drop-in Android solution to pull that off.

As I’ve said a few times, Developer Release 1 will be available 30 days after the Kickstarter campaign concludes.

Christopher Price

steve c

Jun 17, 2014, 10:33:13 PM6/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
But shouldn't you have a demo to show before the Kickstarter?

Christopher Price

Jun 17, 2014, 10:44:04 PM6/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
If we shipped what we had, we would not be able to properly support the Kickstarter campaign, because we’d be handling all the early adopter issues - many of which will be resolved during development, especially with the funds raised via Kickstarter helping that process.

We don’t have the resources to properly handle all the attention from the Kickstarter, and ship a pre-beta version of our product jointly. The vary nature of Console OS means we’re working round the clock as it is. There’s not one, but two beds in our office for when people wind up working too long.

Typically, things on Kickstarter are still being actively developed. That’s why most Kickstarter campaigns demo via launch videos, as we have done. We’re already demoing things in our video that no other Android solution can do today.

Christopher Price

Chih-Wei Huang

Jun 17, 2014, 11:38:27 PM6/17/14
to Android-x86
> If we shipped what we had, we would not be able to properly support the
> Kickstarter campaign, because we’d be handling all the early adopter issues
> - many of which will be resolved during development, especially with the
> funds raised via Kickstarter helping that process.
>
> We don’t have the resources to properly handle all the attention from the
> Kickstarter, and ship a pre-beta version of our product jointly. The vary
> nature of Console OS means we’re working round the clock as it is. There’s
> not one, but two beds in our office for when people wind up working too
> long.
>
> Typically, things on Kickstarter are still being actively developed. That’s
> why most Kickstarter campaigns demo via launch videos, as we have done.
> We’re already demoing things in our video that no other Android solution can
> do today.

I really hope to stop this thread since it's totally off-topic.
But I'm still curious to ask, what did you try to demonstrate exactly?
The only thing we can see is a notebook in the background
running a demo video while your talked.
There is no clear evidence to show it's
YOUR OS, nor it's a GL ES3 demo.
Everyone who knows how to run android-x86 or android-ia
can make such a demo.
Even it's GL ES3, it's still nothing but what Intel provides in its BSP.
All Intel's partners can get it.

What you should demonstrate in youtube is the unique features
you claim to implement in the announcement.

Can we see such a demo soon?

Besides, I remind ASUS has already demonstrated such a product
about half a year ago in CES2014:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/01/hands-on-asus-transformer-book-duet-and-the-clunky-dual-os-feature/

You can still find many demo videos on the youtube, say
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olC24sunOOE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQCrMLKlYq0
(see what you should demo now?)

But finally ASUS is unable to ship this product
because both Microsoft and Google say STOP!

So unless you can change the mind of Microsoft and Google
(it's very unlikely since even ASUS can't)
I'm afraid you will find finally you cannot ship your product
even you finish it.

Good luck, anyway...

steve c

Jun 17, 2014, 11:40:24 PM6/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
So we have to wait 2 more months to find out if it's real? Now it is
starting to sound like vaporware. Anyone can come up with an idea but
I wouldn't invest in it unless you can show that it actually works.
Also, since Linux can already be installed on those same PC's you
claim to support I don't know if there is even a need for this
product. Maybe I'm missing the whole point of the project but there
aren't any practical uses for Android_86 so how will Console OS be any
different? After all a laptop running smartphone apps is just a
curiosity that's fun to play with.

dscm

Jun 18, 2014, 12:15:37 AM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
"If you watch the launch video completely, you’ll see we demo later in the video live OpenGL ES 3 demos..."

nowhere is consoleOS mentioned or demonstrated...it's from

IDC-2014(Intel Developer Conference) march time frame

...published in april for iconsole.tv their previous project
that has now morphed into consoleOS.....

   Published on Apr 3, 2014

jean-michel voicechat_fan

Jun 18, 2014, 12:36:40 AM6/18/14
to android-x86
why use the android-x86 list is declared when ConsoleOS competitor android X86

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/android-x86.

web

jdw6

Jun 18, 2014, 12:48:06 AM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
android-x86 is real....ConsoleOS appears that it's vaporware.....

non-existant....no beta....no downloads...NOTHING BUT TALK...just an idea that other companies have already demonstrated...and they cannot...

Christopher Price

Jun 18, 2014, 12:51:46 AM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
We have what we need to go to market - I'm not sure what your concern is. If there's a technical one, I'm happy to work with it offline.

Console OS is a fork of Android. We are sharing the same AOSP code base that Intel and Android-x86.org could use. We are making augmentations to it that make it non-touch friendly - but at the same time, licensing components that make our fork of Android work better than homebrew versions can legally do.

The notion if Console OS being "your OS" is not one I necessarily accept. No different than CyanogenMod is "their OS" - we're all making innovations using Android, and branding them distinctively.

Additional demos will be unveiled during the Kickstarter, thanks for asking that question in another way. But, getting OpenGL ES 3 to work, using industry-licensed drivers, and doing the demos shown in the video, was not easy on its own right - something Chih-Wei Huang seems to be speaking to from his own experience.

Finally, I will note that we're creating an Android innovation company here. We have pledged to contribute upstream to AOSP as we start releases later this year. As we enhance AOSP, Android-x86.org will benefit from too.

Christopher Price

rbg

Jun 18, 2014, 12:53:02 AM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
IMO

this got old fast....just like the other thread months ago....

could we PLEASE close this thread and take it offline, let's get back to making android-x86 better and let others do whatever...

Christopher Price

Jun 18, 2014, 12:53:15 AM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Even if you aren't content with the amount of videos we've released, including the new launch video on Kickstarter - I will note again that we're raising funds to improve AOSP for x86. That is a core competency of our startup.

I might understand the concern more if we hadn't already obligated to share AOSP code commits upstream -> What we're doing will have an impact and improve Android-x86.org.

Christopher Price

Christopher Price

Jun 18, 2014, 12:54:31 AM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Nobody has demonstrated a drop-in solution optimized and licensed for Intel before. We're raising money to create dedicated employee positions that improve Android on x86 for AOSP, which will in kind track to Android-x86.org. Sorry if you find that to be so concerning.

Christopher Price

Christopher Price

Jun 18, 2014, 12:55:27 AM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Because when Console OS improves AOSP code, Android-x86.org will benefit.

Android-x86.org is targeting many parts of the Android ecosystem that Console OS won't - especially in the homebrew community. But we still aim to give Android-x86.org a leg up.

Christopher Price

Christopher Price

Jun 18, 2014, 12:56:37 AM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
To be clear, iConsole hardware will still be available. We're doing both, and new hardware will be announced during the Kickstarter campaign.

Our goal is to keep iConsole hardware open, and even rocking Android-x86.org as an alternative, open-sourced solution... one that will benefit from the upstream AOSP code improvements made by Console OS to Android on x86.

Christopher Price

Christopher Price

Jun 18, 2014, 12:58:47 AM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Sorry you are offended. I only posted here to note how Console OS will improve Android-x86.org… something that I hope was made clear in my other replies.

Console OS and Android-x86.org have some overlap, no doubt. But, we also target vastly different markets, and benefit from each other’s work.

We’re all sharing the same AOSP code base, and having paid employees engineering dedicated to that outside Google, would be something I should hope any Android-x86.org fan would be behind.

Christopher Price

rbg

Jun 18, 2014, 1:13:29 AM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
save the bull for others...there is no overlap from closed code to open source code....

and for the "we contribute everything back to AOSP" so do many others and we all benefit....

let's just close the thread and move on...

Christopher Price

Jun 18, 2014, 1:16:05 AM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
That would be true if we hadn't agreed to share all AOSP-derived code upstream. But, you just read from me say several times, to several different people that we are agreeing, formally, to doing just that. We wouldn't feel ethical raising money for this from the community otherwise.

Christopher Price

jdw6

Jun 18, 2014, 1:38:34 AM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
the more things change...........LOL

Christopher Price

Jun 18, 2014, 1:46:58 AM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
To be clear, we have nothing to do with that Google Code project. Console OS as a name stems from our iConsole hardware.

Over the past 18 months we met with hundreds of developers, and the majority said they would be willing to scale their games up to Intel Core processors, Iris graphics, and the like… but we had to provide an OEM solution that could get system builders onboard.

We’re trying to help scale Android up to be a mainstream PC OS for system builders, and at the same time, give the homebrew community a fiercely independent startup that is focused on enhancing AOSP code for x86. And that’s how iConsole led to Console OS… and that’s the story behind where the name came from.

Christopher Price

mike r

Jun 18, 2014, 1:05:04 PM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
What Bothers me Is your statement about Google Play and It's other APPS not being LEGAL, Your here to F-THINGS UP, GOOGLE HASNT CARED ABOUT US!!!! And Your envolvement (For MONEY) Is going to change that......

My X86 ON MY INTEL!!!!!!!!!! Run's about 97% PERFECT!!!! I'm Using it more then Windows 7 or Ubuntu 12.04!!!!!!!! And It's Getting better everyday....

And Advice to the rest of you, Don't go to the SITE alls he Needs is to show Someone 1 Million HITS to gain interest, Don't Give him the AMMO, There's Nothing that His crap can do that ours can't do now, Or wont be doing in the near future....Lotta good it's gonna do ANYONE to Share what your doing when we can't get on the F'ING PLAY STORE!!!!! And Ya go ahead "Well GOOGLE HAS A CONTRACT THAT SAYS" Shove it....

Mike

mike r

Jun 18, 2014, 1:32:29 PM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
CW You have way more CLASS Then me, Yes Please shut it down, If for no other reason then to stop the Ads for this, and get it off the top of the Thread list....

Mike

mike r

Jun 18, 2014, 2:04:30 PM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thats Funny nevwer clicked that link till now, ya, looks like he's all for us.......

LOL
Mike

mike r

Jun 18, 2014, 2:16:43 PM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Christopher Price

Jun 18, 2014, 2:35:12 PM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I'll defer to my last post on that subject, this was old news and I merely pointed the poster who asked about it to the previous discussions rather than repeat that dialogue.

I have been participating in Android-x86.org for years. You are misrepresenting my active participation in the community. Posting inflammatory links to other people with the same name as me, does not help anyone.

In this thread I'm here to tackle questions on Console OS and how Console OS's announcement of AOSP code sharing will help empower Android-x86.org to be better.

If you don't want this thread to continue, the best way is to stop trolling and bumping it endlessly - People that have genuine questions can ask them, and I'll be happy to answer them. Then like all threads it will just go down in ranking. Thanks!

Christopher Price

mike r

Jun 18, 2014, 3:18:48 PM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
True that was rather immature, BUT at the time I thought was funny as hell, Anyway you are correct, My main thing is you really don't need to be having your Q&A Here do you?? Can you not create your Own Blog or Bulletian or whatever you need to be "ANSWERING QUESTIONS?", AS I see it YOUR USING THE POPULARITY OF X86.ORG, To Promote your project\product... Take it somewhere else, And get it out there with out riding on the shirt-tails of the developers who have done all the work on this......You might have done alot of work but as C.W. Said this is TOTALLY OFF TOPIC!! And You Started it.....

Mike

mike r

Jun 18, 2014, 3:22:17 PM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
And I Will Say this, You Did get reading ALOT on this Windows 8\Android Duel Boot OS, ETC, ETC..

Mike

Christopher Price

Jun 18, 2014, 3:37:56 PM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I was here to tackle questions related to how Console OS will help contribute code to AOSP and thus Android-x86.org. I started this thread to make clear we would not merely be forking Android-x86 and keeping the code improvements to ourselves. If anyone else has additional questions, I’m more than happy to tackle them related to those topics.

We do have our own blog, FAQ, etc for questions outside what people want to ask related to that stuff.

Again, if you want the thread to die, stop replying. Others will ask their questions, and it will be over.

Christopher Price
ConsoleOS.com

On Jun 18, 2014, at 12:18 PM, mike r <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:

> True that was rather immature, BUT at the time I thought was funny as hell, Anyway you are correct, My main thing is you really don't need to be having your Q&A Here do you?? Can you not create your Own Blog or Bulletian or whatever you need to be "ANSWERING QUESTIONS?", AS I see it YOUR USING THE POPULARITY OF X86.ORG, To Promote your project\product... Take it somewhere else, And get it out there with out riding on the shirt-tails of the developers who have done all the work on this......You might have done alot of work but as C.W. Said this is TOTALLY OFF TOPIC!! And You Started it.....
>
> Mike

mike r

Jun 18, 2014, 3:56:45 PM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Ahhh Just One More thing, does this look familiar??? Since Apparently ypou went back and deleted your Reply?? I'll Post the Screen shot next post.

"Use of Libhoudini requires a license from Intel. The person who hosted that has pulled those links as they were unlicensed to distribute.

Word to the wise, to others hosting libhoudini without a license from Intel, I suggest doing the same."

On Monday, June 9, 2014 6:45:33 PM UTC-7, Manote Weerachanchai wrote:
Get ARM translator to work in Android-X86 4.0.4 RC2

To get the Intel ARM translator working in the latest Android-x86 4.0.4 RC2, you need to download 3 libraries from Buildroid and copy them into the system folder (so make sure you select to install the /system directory as read-write while installing Android-X86!):

Download libhoudini.so and copy it to /system/lib/
Download libdvm_houdini.so and copy it to /system/lib/
Download the arm libs, extract the downloaded archive and copy the files to/system/lib/arm/

mike r

Jun 18, 2014, 3:58:41 PM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I was gonna link this but as I said you went back and deleted the reply above.   So Here's the Screen shot.....

Mike

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 2:56:45 PM UTC-5, mike r wrote:
[...]

tmp_6903-Screenshot_2014-06-18-14-50-08-1721471052.png

Christopher Price

Jun 18, 2014, 4:01:57 PM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Please discuss other topics in those threads - I’m happy to continue the conversation there. Thanks.

Christopher Price

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Android-x86" group.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/android-x86.
<tmp_6903-Screenshot_2014-06-18-14-50-08-1721471052.png>

mike r

Jun 18, 2014, 4:05:47 PM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
No That's ok, I'm Done, If I haven't conviced anyone else, I've Convinced Myself..... I Hope Others Are Paying attention, But as you said, I'm done boosting this thread....

Mike

mike r

Jun 18, 2014, 5:16:11 PM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Ramana Kumar

Jun 18, 2014, 11:16:42 PM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
steve c
I, as a potential user can *definitely* say that there is a need for this product. While there may be a working port for Linux, I have no use for it.  For me, having already invested into the Android ecosystem, specifically for all the games my 10 year old plays, it makes sense to have a dual boot solution on my Asus T100.
I have contributed to the kickstarter campaign in the hopes that we will have a working Android solution for the Asus T100.  IMO, it is a very small investment that I hope we all can benefit.  While Chris may have trouble convincing OEMs to install ConsoleOS as an alternate OS or even ship in Dual boot mode, I don't see why it would prevent us from installing it on our own.  Kind of like aftermarket upgrade:-)
Thanks
Ramana

> Christopher Price
> ConsoleOS.com
>

> On Jun 17, 2014, at 7:33 PM, steve c <steve...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> But shouldn't you have a demo to show before the Kickstarter?
>
> On Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:13:29 PM UTC-7, Christopher Price wrote:
>>
>> If you watch the launch video completely, you'll see we demo later in the
>> video live OpenGL ES 3 demos running at 60 fps on native Android using
>> Console OS. We're the first drop-in Android solution to pull that off.
>>
>> As I've said a few times, Developer Release 1 will be available 30 days
>> after the Kickstarter campaign concludes.
>>
>> Christopher Price
>> ConsoleOS.com
>>

>> On Jun 17, 2014, at 7:09 PM, steve c <steve...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't think it's vaporware, you have probably created something but the
>> video just shows you talking.  When are you going to have a Beta version for
>> us to try out to prove that it exists?
>>
>> On Tuesday, June 17, 2014 6:35:54 PM UTC-7, Christopher Price wrote:
>>>
>>> You can watch videos on our Kickstarter page and in the FAQ, see for
>>> yourself.
>>>
>>> It's not productive to just call something vaporware - but I've invested
>>> 18 months of my life into licensing everything and building a team to make
>>> Android on x86 into something that can be licensed - calling it vaporware is
>>> something I will respond to each and every time.
>>>
>>> Christopher Price
>>> ConsoleOS.com

Ramana Kumar

Jun 18, 2014, 11:16:49 PM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Mike R
Sigh... Is this necessary?  why such venom? You may not like the business model that MMV is embarking on.  This is fine.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  We, in civilized society, can have a differing opinion and not resort ad hominem  attacks.  Just because someone has a different viewpoint, it does not automatically make them a devil incarnate.

Yes, MMV is having a closed source solution.  BTW, it same as Amazon/Cygenmod fork of Android.  MMV has indicated that they will contribute back to AOSP.  Having folks work full-time on making  Andorid work on X86 is going to help us all.

The question that CW has the ultimate say on is...  can we have (civilized) discussion of ConsoleOS in the android-x86 forum....

Wishing for a more productive discussions in the future.
Thanks
Ramana
This conversation is locked