Stagefright info needed please

HV

Jan 17, 2011, 2:17:28 AM1/17/11
to android-porting
Hi Folks,

I tried looking for some doc that would explain (at least in brief)
what Stagefright [SF] is capable of and how it compares against
OpenCORE [OC], but looks like it's not made public yet. Could Google
folks let us know at least where in the source code we can start
browsing to unearth some details?

AFAIK, SF sits above OMX just like OC. If you have an OMX-IL
implementation that works with OC through Gallery, how difficult/easy
would it be to move this to SF? Also, does SF use a different player?

Thanks in advance
HV

Deva R

Jan 17, 2011, 1:14:10 PM1/17/11
to harishv...@gmail.com, android-porting
regarding stagefright docs, i havent seen anything public yet., for
now, source is the documentation ;)
though minimal, whatever said a year back here -> still holds true
even for gingerbread
http://freepine.blogspot.com/2010/01/overview-of-stagefrighter-player.html

> SF sits above OMX just like OC. If you have an OMX-IL
> implementation that works with OC through Gallery, how difficult/easy
> would it be to move this to SF?

Most of the changes made in Opencore OMX IL (in
opecnore/nodes/*node.cpp) will apply to stagefright OMX IL too (mostly
in OMXCodec.cpp).

> SF sits above OMX just like OC. If you have an OMX-IL
> implementation that works with OC through Gallery, how difficult/easy
> would it be to move this to SF?

true, stagefright and opencore are peers.
as said above, we need SF OMX IL changes, OMX Core integration needs to be done.

basic steps are:

integrate omx core
in opencore -> we publish omx core .so in /etc/pvplayer.cfg files
in stagefright -> we publish our OMX library in libstagefrighthw.so library

add components against MIME type in OMXCodec.cpp->kDecoderInfo[] table

once your compoennt is picked up for your the media, put OMX IL fixes
as required.

> Also, does SF use a different player?

SF uses its own "Player Driver" ( implemented in
StagefirghtPlayer.cpp/AwesomePlayer.cpp)
any media-framework in android should implement android player driver
with start/stop/setdatasource/pause/resume/seekto/etc interfaces, to
take calls from libmedia,libmediaplayerservice.

as we discussed above, gallery or any media application wont be aware
of stagefright or opencore framework, it just uses android media
library calls (ofcourse native apps can directly talk to sf/oc).
internally Android media library picks a player type, as in
media/libmediaplayerservice/MediaPlayerService.cpp=>getPlayerType()
[1], and then process with start/stop/setdatasource/pause/resume/seek
calls

[1] http://git.omapzoom.org/?p=platform/frameworks/base.git;a=blob;f=media/libmediaplayerservice/MediaPlayerService.cpp;h=63b1e034c27fd523ac987d2b45b4bea193ed1ca5;hb=6c81cb09f4e5786d8c8f191c7a5ad6dd85086b22#l749

> --

Regards,
Deva
www.bittoggler.com