Is it possible to configure Eclipse for AOSP native development?

zyrikby

Sep 27, 2012, 2:09:39 PM9/27/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all.

It is not difficult to configure Eclipse for developing java part of Android (the instructions can be found here). But what about native part? Is it possible to configure Eclipse for developing (and reviewing) native part of Android? Are there any instructions about this? If no, what are the tools that are used for native development in Android team?

Kristopher Micinski

Sep 27, 2012, 3:59:27 PM9/27/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
FYI ..., I use emacs.

For the java part too...

kris

biAji

Sep 27, 2012, 7:58:07 PM9/27/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Kris,

How do you switch between defferent source tree? Do you use cedet for c code?

Kristopher Micinski

Sep 27, 2012, 8:13:51 PM9/27/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I usually only work on one branch of the source tree.. honestly..

YMMV, but for native development, I've used emacs for most things
outside of Java (and honestly, it's so slow for me, that I do so for
Java too)...

kris

Lucas Palma

Sep 27, 2012, 8:07:19 PM9/27/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Well... on the NDK section, the examples are using Eclipse.
So... I don't think that it is difficult to use the Eclipse IDE for native development too.

Also, for a better experience, I think that the Eclipse Mobile version is the best choice :)

blake

Sep 28, 2012, 12:03:54 AM9/28/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Eclipse has the CDT (http://www.eclipse.org/cdt/downloads.php).  It definitely does provide some kind of Eclipse integrated tools for examining the glue layer seamlessly with the Java layer.  I'll bet you a beer that the guys the wrote the C layer didn't use Eclipse to do it, though, FWIW.

Eclipse likes to be in charge.  I've had some luck switching source repos underneath it but it isn't pretty.  First of all, you'll have to change the .classpath file if you'd prefer to avoid errors.  Also a make, refresh and rebuild.  All in all, probably better to keep separate copies for separate versions, if you can afford the space.

G. Blake Meike
Marakana

The second edition of Programming Android is now on-line:

Yang

Sep 29, 2012, 3:41:12 AM9/29/12
to android-platform
Or MDK or RVDS Pro or DS-5 Pro.

Martin Wallgren

Oct 9, 2012, 3:57:32 AM10/9/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I have created a plugin for Eclipse that will set the project up for you. Although there is still no c/c++ support. But it is great if you switch between different repos and don't want to hassle with the .classpath file.

http://blog.wallgren.it/2012/09/android-platform-in-eclipse.html