ndk-r8c causing complete rebuilds without source changes

Futumsh

Nov 14, 2012, 12:44:43 PM11/14/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
With r8c, doing an ndk-build without having changed any sources seems to often cause a complete rebuild.  We didn't have this problem with r8b.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  I'm wondering if it's somethiing peculiar to our build setup.

NoraBora

Nov 14, 2012, 11:29:51 PM11/14/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you are not the only one. I'm having same issue. (not in r8b)

2012년 11월 15일 목요일 오전 2시 44분 43초 UTC+9, Futumsh 님의 말:
Message has been deleted

David Turner

Nov 16, 2012, 5:44:18 AM11/16/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Reproduced, and tracked at http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39810

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 8:57 AM, mango <marko.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
Same here.

On Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:44:43 PM UTC+2, Futumsh wrote:
With r8c, doing an ndk-build without having changed any sources seems to often cause a complete rebuild.  We didn't have this problem with r8b.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  I'm wondering if it's somethiing peculiar to our build setup.

Alex Cohn

Nov 18, 2012, 2:58:40 AM11/18/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I believe that the fix is easy: use order-only prerequisite, (cf. http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Prerequisite-Types.html).

The patch is to change a single line 289 in build/core/definitions.mk from

$1: $$(__ndk_file_dir)

$1: | $$(__ndk_file_dir)

Enjoy,
Alex Cohn

Jan Djärv

Nov 19, 2012, 1:58:26 AM11/19/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hello.

18 nov 2012 kl. 08:58 skrev Alex Cohn <sasha...@gmail.com>:

I believe that the fix is easy: use order-only prerequisite, (cf. http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Prerequisite-Types.html).

The patch is to change a single line 289 in build/core/definitions.mk from

$1: $$(__ndk_file_dir)

$1: | $$(__ndk_file_dir)

Great!  Works perfectly, thanks.

Jan D.

pps

Nov 20, 2012, 8:03:35 PM11/20/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
WTF, how something like that could have ever been released?
Can anybody at google confirm that they actually use their own tools and test them occasionally??

pps

Dec 10, 2012, 3:10:37 PM12/10/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Alex, maybe you could communicate that fix to google devs? They still didn't fix that bug in their ndk download. Millions of developers will have that issue because google devs simply decided not to test it. Everytime I need to setup android build machine I google "alex r8c rebuild patch" :) Works well.
Can you give more info what was the problem and how that pipe fixes it? Seems that previous NDKs didn't have similar code in them, it probably took some time to figure out that fix?

Romain Tisserand

Dec 31, 2012, 12:00:59 PM12/31/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Works for me.

Le 31 déc. 2012 17:05, "ttylikl" <tty...@gmail.com> a écrit :
It's work for me.

在 2012年11月18日星期日UTC+8下午3时58分40秒,Alex Cohn写道:
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/android-ndk/-/BnkavNAerI0J.