Re: [android-kernel] Flashing Android Kernel -- do I need to compile the entire source tree?

Jeremy Morales

Aug 25, 2012, 7:42:47 AM8/25/12
to android...@googlegroups.com

If you are just creating a new boot.img you can run "make boot image"

On Aug 24, 2012 5:14 PM, "akk" <genera...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi guys,

I have a toroplus (sprint galaxy nexus). I want to add a couple lines to my kernel config file --> compile my kernel, and load that on my device.

I've gotten to the stage where I can make a zImage. The AOSP guide tells me to copy that to /device/samsung/tuna/kernel and then to make the entire project.

Do I have to make the entire project if I just want the updated kernel? I also don't have the proprietary binaries -- since its sprint.

Help would be much appreciated.

Jeremy Morales

Aug 25, 2012, 7:43:20 AM8/25/12
to android...@googlegroups.com

Correction:
make bootimage

giangiammy

Aug 26, 2012, 4:05:35 AM8/26/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It is not necessary to build the all tree, but, from my experience, I did not found a standard
procedure to update a kernel in an Android system: I think this is a real pity!

Each device has some "features" which require to google for them and understand.

As example, if it can be useful, I flashed a new kernel on Acer Iconia A500:
http://www.giammy.com/files/bci.html
http://www.giammy.com/files/bci.pdf

See the section "Acer Iconia A500 kernel recompile"

bye
giammy

Ken Chen

Sep 6, 2012, 2:07:30 AM9/6/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
No, you don't. Simply building zImage from your kernel, and then
repack it along with ramdisk.img. Make sure using right physical
offset of RAM, it is varied device by device.

-Ken
--

-- Ken Chen