Android 4.3 landing in AOSP

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 24, 2013, 12:50:56 PM7/24/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Google Airlines welcomes you on the ground in Android International Open Source Airport Project. The local time is exactly 4:30 pm. We will be taxiing for a few minutes to our gate JSS15J while ground support guides us to the public git server.

We hope that you had a pleasant flight and we welcome you to Jelly Bean, or that you have a conflict-free rebase while connecting to your final version.

Your source files will be delivered down the https://android.googlesource.com stairs, in hall jb-mr2-dev, on carousel android-4.3_r2.1. Oversize kernel source files will follow a few minutes later at the counter.

Customs forms are available at https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/drivers and need to be filled before starting a device build, even if this is not your first trip to Jelly Bean.

If you forgot to pack something in your luggage, pre-packed luggage is available at https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images that contains everything you might need.

Should you have any questions, our agents are standing by at the android-building Google Group. Complaints and suggestions can be filed at http://b.android.com. Volunteers can head to the android-contrib Google Group, and job applicants to http://google.com/jobs

Even if you've visited Jelly Bean before, you will notice that our graphics public transportation is now smoother and more energy-efficient. The city is also safer for everyone, with an entire block dedicated to children. Location Hill was renovated, and the repaving of Bluetooth Avenue continued all the way to BTLE Street and AVRCP 1.3 Park. Our filesystem garbage collection service can now handle active households that generate a lot of trash.

On behalf of all of Google Airlines and of our Android ground crew, captain Conley and cabin chief JBQ wish you a pleasant experience with Android 4.3 and we hope to see you again soon.

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

Questions sent directly to me that have no reason for being private will likely get ignored or forwarded to a public forum with no further warning.

Manuel Naranjo

Jul 24, 2013, 12:55:15 PM7/24/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations finally BTLE! Can't wait to update my N7 and test!
> --
> --
>
> ---
> Groups "Android Building" group.
> an email to android-buildi...@googlegroups.com.

rascarlo

Jul 24, 2013, 1:01:36 PM7/24/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
eheh fasten your seatbelts
thanks jbq and the team

Karim Yaghmour

Jul 24, 2013, 1:09:10 PM7/24/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com, Jean-Baptiste Queru

Very cool. Thanks!

--
Karim Yaghmour
CEO - Opersys inc. / www.opersys.com

Roger Chen

Jul 24, 2013, 1:18:44 PM7/24/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Really really exciting and I can't wait OTA now! I am flashing the images.

Preston Mueller

Jul 24, 2013, 1:21:40 PM7/24/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
This is FANTASTIC, thanks team! :)

Steve Kondik

Jul 24, 2013, 1:22:19 PM7/24/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Tray tables and seat backs locked for takeoff, what was I supposed to do with my portable electronic devices again? :)

Kyler Jeffrey

Jul 24, 2013, 1:23:45 PM7/24/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
IM SO EXCITED.

Al Sutton

Jul 24, 2013, 1:27:11 PM7/24/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Nice work JBQ (and team). Now hopefully you guys will get a decent amount of sleep ;).

Christian Gaetano

Jul 24, 2013, 1:56:43 PM7/24/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
So far one of the smoothest AOSP rollouts I've seen. Awesome job Google, and thanks JBQ!

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 24, 2013, 2:04:02 PM7/24/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
All the files have been replicated to the git servers.

If something's not working at this point, it's a bug.

JBQ

Michael Evans

Jul 24, 2013, 2:16:50 PM7/24/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Awesome work! Hopefully they let you get some sleep now JBQ!

PS: That was the best announcement ever.

Teguh Sobirin

Jul 24, 2013, 2:56:47 PM7/24/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Boarding now...

Thanks JBQ ;-)

Taylor Hunt

Jul 24, 2013, 3:20:09 PM7/24/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much. I can't wait to see how high this flight will go.

Al Sutton

Jul 24, 2013, 3:54:43 PM7/24/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Here's a change log of Android 4.2.2_r1 (JDQ39) to Android 4.3_r1 (JWR66V) - http://aosp.changelog.to/JDQ39/JWR66V/

Enjoy,

Al.

Marcio Del Bianco

Jul 24, 2013, 4:12:18 PM7/24/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much JBQ!

Can you tell us why the released factory images for Nexus devices are based on 4.3_r1 and not 4.3_r2.1?

Thank you man, you're the best!

David Batty

Jul 24, 2013, 4:28:24 PM7/24/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Was this a typo JSS15J 4.3r_2.1 or will this still be uploaded

David Batty

Jul 24, 2013, 4:08:28 PM7/24/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
In the init email you mentioned JSS15J as 4.3_r2.1. Is that also being pushed or was it a typo?

Manuel Naranjo

Jul 24, 2013, 3:48:05 PM7/24/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
JBQ doesn't the original Nexus 7 support BTLE? I'm trying to run the
BTLE example on mine and the following line returns False:

if
(!getPackageManager().hasSystemFeature(PackageManager.FEATURE_BLUETOOTH_LE))
{
Toast.makeText(this, R.string.ble_not_supported,
Toast.LENGTH_SHORT).show();
finish();
}

The toast gets displayed, and the app finishes. This happens with nakasi
4.3 JWR66V available from android site.

-Manuel

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 24, 2013, 4:40:30 PM7/24/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Here are the details, with the builds that matter most:

JWR66L is 4.3_r0.9
JWR66N is 4.3_r0.9.1
JWR66V is 4.3_r1 - that's the one that goes on existing devices.
JSR78D is 4.3_r2
JSS15J is 4.3_r2.1 - that's the latest one, on the new Nexus 7.

The JW builds were split early, to shield existing devices from the risk of destabilizations introduced by last-minute changes for the new devices.

JBQ

Ron M

Jul 24, 2013, 6:10:19 PM7/24/13
to Android Building

Thank you for the superspeed update!

-Ron Munitz

SG Kenny

Jul 25, 2013, 1:39:26 AM7/25/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
^_^ , thanks !

Al Sutton

Jul 25, 2013, 3:04:39 AM7/25/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
From looking over the git history it would seem the best way to handle the changelogs is as follows;

JDQ39 (4.2.2_r1) -> JWR64 (untagged common ancestor) = http://aosp.changelog.to/JDQ39/JWR64/
JWR64 (untagged common ancestor) -> JWR66V (4.3_r1, factory images) = http://aosp.changelog.to/JWR64/JWR66V/
JWR64 (untagged common ancestor) -> JSR78D (4.3_r2) = http://aosp.changelog.to/JWR64/JSR78D/
JSR78D (4.3_r2) -> JSS15J (4.3_r2.1, new N7 release) = http://aosp.changelog.to/JSR78D/JSS15J/

If anyone sees any problems with this representation, and has a better solution, I'm all ears.

Anthony Lai

Jul 25, 2013, 3:36:11 AM7/25/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks JBQ!  Nice flight, great features.

Quick question.  Do we get a new set of binary hardware support for the new Nexus 7?  The hardware looks quite different to the older version.

Thanks.
Sincerely,
Anthony

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 25, 2013, 8:41:29 AM7/25/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Al, this seems to be the correct breakdown.

JBQ

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 25, 2013, 8:44:15 AM7/25/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
We are planning to have binaries available for flo and deb (the new Nexus 7) by the time the devices get in the hands of users.

JBQ

---

chrone

Jul 25, 2013, 9:43:30 AM7/25/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Aye aye, captain! I promise I'll be a good boy. :-)

Much appreciated for the magic you and your team have done with this amazing build.

Kamaron Rianda

Jul 25, 2013, 11:46:55 AM7/25/13

On Thursday, July 25, 2013 5:44:15 AM UTC-7, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
We are planning to have binaries available for flo and deb (the new Nexus 7) by the time the devices get in the hands of users.

Finding Nemo naming references?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 25, 2013, 11:52:16 AM7/25/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Oh, that's where those names come from :)

JBQ

---

Temmy

Luca Santarelli

Jul 25, 2013, 2:05:11 PM7/25/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the new release. It appears, however, that the bug you closed one month ago asserting  it was fixed in the new release is still affecting 4.3_r2.1 . Could you please give a look at it (and, at the very least, reopen it)?

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2960

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 25, 2013, 2:33:22 PM7/25/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
If there's a bug in there, I'm pretty sure it's not the original report, as I've been unable to reproduce it on a Nexus S running 4.1. Plus, obviously, without any supported device having an SD card, this is not going to be easily reproducible in AOSP.

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Luca Santarelli <luca.sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for the new release. It appears, however, that the bug you closed one month ago asserting  it was fixed in the new release is still affecting 4.3_r2.1 . Could you please give a look at it (and, at the very least, reopen it)?

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2960

---

Marcio Del Bianco

Jul 25, 2013, 11:26:18 PM7/25/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
JBQ
quick question regarding Nexus 4...

Newly cooked custom kernels from the recently fixed 4.3_r2.1 branch (JSS15J) won't work on stock JWR66V factory images avaiable?
Are you planning on releasing updated images from the new branch?

Thank you!

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 25, 2013, 11:33:21 PM7/25/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
There's (now) one Nexus 4 kernel for each release branch, to match the user-space code for that specific GPU, which is slightly different between the branches. You should use the kernel that's in JWR66V to run JWR66V, and the kernel that's in JSS15J to run JSS15J.

The factory images match the retail builds, and I don't expect that the retail builds will "jump" between branches for any device, that's just a lot of testing work to reach (at best) the conclusion that they indeed seem identical.

JBQ

Paul Beeler

Jul 26, 2013, 4:12:57 PM7/26/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Hi JBQ.  Is the kernel source out for the nexus 4 for the android-4.3_r2.1_ tag?  Or is that on the msm kernel mr2 branch.

https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/msm/+/android-msm-mako-3.4-jb-mr2

Paul Beeler

Jul 26, 2013, 4:16:46 PM7/26/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com

This change indicates that the kernel has been updated in some way.  Thank you!

https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest/+/android-4.3_r2.1_%5E%21/#F0

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 26, 2013, 4:33:16 PM7/26/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the source tree for the updated kernel is available.

Old tree: f43c3d9
New tree: 55bf2b1

JBQ

Vishveshwar

Jul 27, 2013, 8:49:01 AM7/27/13
On Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:20:56 PM UTC+5:30, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
[...]

Thanks,

Fairly painless base port on BeagleBone from 4.2.2 to  4.3 for me. Now onto enabling GFX and other advanced features.

-Vishveshwar

vishalm

Jul 29, 2013, 5:45:14 PM7/29/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi JBQ,

What is the difference between these three branches of mr2?

1) jb-mr2-dev
2) jb-mr2-release
3) jb-mr2.0-release

- Vishal

On Wednesday, July 24, 2013 11:50:56 AM UTC-5, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
[...]

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 29, 2013, 5:49:11 PM7/29/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
jb-mr2-dev is where the development happened, i.e. what engineers had on their workstations.

jb-mr2-release is where the JW* builds were cut.

jb-mr2.0-release is where the JS* builds were cut. It stayed in sync with jb-mr2-dev longer than jb-mr2-release.

JBQ

---

barun...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2013, 5:47:51 AM7/31/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi JBQ,

I want to download the MR2 source code for Panda board,please let me know how to download that.

Thanks,
Arun