GPL files for Google Play edition devices

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jun 26, 2013, 1:29:47 PM6/26/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Google is hosting a mirror of the GPL files for the initial factory state of the Google Play edition devices, at the following URIs:

https://dl.google.com/dl/android/gpl/galaxy-s4-google-gpl-4.2.2-20130625.zip

Checksums:

65f897e5ea505ebe1d5e9cb65ba5386c  galaxy-s4-google-gpl-4.2.2-20130625.zip
c46ff789d05ce9b10442e369016a9510  htc-one-google-gpl-4.2.2-20130625.zip

4a3991710a67097dacaa009fc324bb0468645a4d  galaxy-s4-google-gpl-4.2.2-20130625.zip
da743c46fc130604bff3a822b9544a3b5b3ee477  htc-one-google-gpl-4.2.2-20130625.zip

Those files will be linked from a proper web page at the first opportunity, and the URIs will remain the same.

JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

Questions sent directly to me that have no reason for being private will likely get ignored or forwarded to a public forum with no further warning.

Artem Russakovskii

Jun 26, 2013, 1:34:51 PM6/26/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, JBQ.

Are all the proprietary binaries going to be available as well?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jun 26, 2013, 1:41:56 PM6/26/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Not through Google. I don't know whether HTC and Samsung have any plans in that direction.

JBQ

---

Coen van Deelen

Jun 26, 2013, 4:36:14 PM6/26/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hello my friend, Where can I get the entire firmware for I9505G?

Thx.

Jonathan Berry

Jun 26, 2013, 5:12:57 PM6/26/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
JBQ: Are there plans to release binary images, like those at https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images ?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jun 26, 2013, 6:13:37 PM6/26/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
There are no such plans. If anything happens in that domain, that'll be handled directly by HTC and Samsung.

JBQ

---

Jake Weinstein

Jun 26, 2013, 10:49:25 PM6/26/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Any chance of device sources being made available in AOSP?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jun 27, 2013, 10:28:41 AM6/27/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
The source files for those devices won't be directly available through AOSP, unlike what I do for Nexus devices.

However, AOSP is set up such that it's possible for HTC and Samsung to provide such files independently, without my direct involvement.

JBQ

---

Jake Weinstein

Jun 27, 2013, 2:26:17 PM6/27/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
True, but no reason for us to expect that to happen, right? Neither company has recent history of providing much development help, such as kernels with git histories, binaries, or device sources, for non-Nexus devices, unlike Sony.  Also, it appears that the OEMs will be the ones handling the updates, as opposed to Google.  How quickly can we expect updates compared to the Nexus series?  Is there any incentive to update these devices quicker than their skinned, more popular flagship series?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jun 27, 2013, 4:35:14 PM6/27/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Those are valid questions.

However, they're not technical questions, so they're beyond my authority to answer and they're beyond the topic of this forum. They're also not related to Google, and I certainly can't speak on HTC's or Samsung's behalf. Finally, I don't have all the facts in hand so any answer from me would have to be speculation.

As a result, I can't come anywhere close to actually answering your questions, sorry.

I'll happily discuss the mechanisms that make it possible to plug in support for other devices, though we should start a separate thread for that.

JBQ

Kevin Kim

Jun 27, 2013, 7:10:16 PM6/27/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Just do pointing out however that HTC does release kernel source code, albeit not via AOSP.

Petr Havlena

Jun 28, 2013, 5:10:15 AM6/28/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
nice, but like always no HAL source code(I know that it isn't your fault), except kernel, thanks god for his license :-). I don't understand, why almost every vendor locks his "know-how" into proprietary sh.., which is so hard to port it for next OS versions and debug errors. I thought that situation with this will be better and better, but opposite is true.

Adwin Putteeraj

Jun 28, 2013, 6:27:14 AM6/28/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks JBQ for posting the GPL files.
However, I couldn't find the device build trees in the archive. Would it be possible for you to share them? Albeit without binaries ofc.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jun 28, 2013, 8:44:09 AM6/28/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Like I explained earlier, AOSP support for those devices is up to HTC and Samsung, I have no involvement myself.

JBQ

---