Ubuntu 12.04

Johan Ramm-Ericson

Apr 4, 2012, 12:04:20 AM4/4/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm just curious to know if there is any information on if and when
the Android team at Google will be moving to Ubuntu 12.04 as base
environment?

Thanks and Best Regards,
Johan

Akash Ramani

Apr 4, 2012, 11:22:45 AM4/4/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
There is no official info, but 12.04 is going to be LTS right?

I would definitely think that they would make the jump

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Apr 4, 2012, 11:33:10 AM4/4/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I'm guessing that the timeframe would be measured in months after the
Ubuntu release, though it's hard to tell as it depends on many
factors.

I'm guessing that there's a possibility that the next Android release
(the J release) will have been developed primarily under 10.04 but
will be buildable under 12.04. That way, we won't have to switch our
workstations in the middle of development, but we'll be able to switch
as soon as the bulk of the J work is done and keep the ability to work
on that release for maintenance.

We're aware that Ubuntu only supports overlapping desktop LTS releases
for 1 year at a time, which is actually quite short now that the
Android release schedule has been slowing down, and that's why we're
keeping a close eye on things.

JBQ

> --

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

Conley Owens

Apr 4, 2012, 12:19:54 PM4/4/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
12.04 is planned to be a super-LTS, lasting longer than the usual LTS
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

That being said, I can't really speculate on when or how long we will
support building on it.

~cco3

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Apr 4, 2012, 12:22:00 PM4/4/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Well, cool, I didn't know that. That'll be very useful the next time
around, we won't be quite as constrained by time.

JBQ

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 3, 2012, 4:49:14 PM10/3/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
The next major release will support building on a 12.04 host.

Right now, the AOSP master builds fine on 12.04, and we already have
instructions on setting up a machine for that (it's a bit more complex
than on 10.04, but not much more).

JBQ

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Peter Thomas <happ...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 4, 2012 12:22:00 PM UTC-4, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
>>
>> around, we won't be quite as constrained by time.
>>
>> JBQ
>
> I imagine that most people building Android are using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
> Desktop. Canonical used to support the Desktop LTS version for 3 years;
> luckily they are extending support for Desktop and Server for 12.04 LTS for
> five years.
>
> Regardless, 10.04 LTS Desktop support ends in March, 2013...which is truly
> not that far away!
>
> I'd be happy to know that there was a plan to transition to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
> as a fully supported AOSP build platform versus an "experimental" one.
>
> Warmly,
>
> --Pete
>
> --

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

Ernst Sjöstrand

Oct 5, 2012, 3:00:42 AM10/5/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Interesting!
I assume 10.04 will still be supported. But both should be considered well tested and supported then?

Is that with Sun JDK still or does it include OpenJDK as well?

Regards
//Ernst Sjöstrand
Sony Mobile

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 5, 2012, 11:11:32 AM10/5/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I expect that 10.04 will remain the preferred option (it's the one
we're still mostly using internally, because older versions of Android
don't build on 12.04), but I expect that doing a full development
cycle on 12.04 wouldn't be an issue.

Sun JDK 6 will definitely be the only supported JDK.

JBQ

Matthias Brugger

Oct 8, 2012, 4:05:00 AM10/8/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
We set up a build for ICS under Ubuntu 12.04 for our rowboat based
custom board.
Maybe it will help someone setting up his environment:
http://labs.isee.biz/index.php/How_to_get_the_Android_4.0_%28Ice_Cream_Sandwich%29_distribution

Regards,
Matthias Brugger

On 10/05/2012 05:11 PM, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
> I expect that 10.04 will remain the preferred option (it's the one
> we're still mostly using internally, because older versions of Android
> don't build on 12.04), but I expect that doing a full development
> cycle on 12.04 wouldn't be an issue.
>
> Sun JDK 6 will definitely be the only supported JDK.
>
> JBQ
>
> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM, Ernst Sj�strand <ern...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Interesting!
>> I assume 10.04 will still be supported. But both should be considered well
>> tested and supported then?
>>
>> Is that with Sun JDK still or does it include OpenJDK as well?
>>
>> Regards
>> //Ernst Sj�strand

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Apr 10, 2013, 3:20:45 PM4/10/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Woah, take a deep breath before attacking people on old data.

Jelly Bean (all variants) has been developed on a mix of 10.04 and 12.04, and there should be no difficulties building any of its variants on 12.04. Google's official builds come from 10.04 servers, but the LTS support cycle for servers is much longer so you have a few more years ahead. Since Jelly Bean also carries its own host gcc, differences between 10.04 and 12.04 should be minimal anyway, and I don't expect much trouble building official Jelly Bean binaries on a 12.04 host.

The latest development branches of older versions all the way back to Froyo are also expected to be buildable on 12.04. I think I'd know, I've done the fixes and backports myself.

JBQ

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Peter Thomas <peter....@readi-systems.com> wrote:
Dear Jean-Baptiste, et al.,

I know this thread is old, but it's not really resolved yet.  In this day and age, it is irresponsible to operate on and "end-of-life" platform.

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Desktop is no longer supported by Canonical after May 9, 2013:  https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2013-March/000169.html .

This may put people that care about running a supportable OS in uncomfortable positions such as having to "wrap" a supportable 10.04 LTS build environment as a "sand-boxed" Virtual Machine within a supported host OS. What a nightmare!

Please tell me that AOSP at least has a plan to move beyond Ubuntu 10.04 LTS being the only supported build environment!

Sincerely,

--Pete

---

Al Sutton

Apr 10, 2013, 3:17:50 PM4/10/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
There was a similar situation with OS X a while ago which was resolved with patches from the community. The rule seems to be to upgrade when there's a technical reason rather than an administrative non-technical one.

Peter Thomas

Apr 10, 2013, 4:12:21 PM4/10/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com

That's good news! The documentation web pages and this thread seemed to be a little heavy on the "use 10.04 at your own risk."

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Apr 10, 2013, 4:27:00 PM4/10/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Yup. Technically, that's accurate of any release. If you're building JB, the extra risk is probably tiny, potentially negligible in the noise. For older releases, it's most probably larger.

JBQ

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Peter Thomas <peter....@readi-systems.com> wrote:

That's good news! The documentation web pages and this thread seemed to be a little heavy on the "use 10.04 at your own risk."

---

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Apr 15, 2013, 11:02:19 AM4/15/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
For gingerbread, I think that all you need is commit 9b19b93a5b0018414784cfdc070b462ea65451d8 in frameworks/base

JBQ

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 9:26 AM, Yury Zhauniarovich <y.zhaln...@gmail.com> wrote:
JBQ,

Thanks for your work. I would like to ask if you could explain what should be done to build older releases on Ubuntu 12.04 (or point in the code where to find these changes). The reason I ask about this is that we have a fork of Android Gingerbread and I want to get it compiled on Ubuntu 12.04.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Apr 15, 2013, 11:31:55 AM4/15/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Actually, you also need d93b236e4e3e6a8edb912507b9d66e5fad46f07f in build

JBQ

Happy

Apr 15, 2013, 2:31:23 PM4/15/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Is there a similar back-port commit for ICS 4.0.3 or 4.0.4 on 12.04?

-----
Pete 'Happy' Thomas (happ...@gmail.com)
Web Site: http://www.painless-computing.com/peteandpam
Blog: http://happypete.livejournal.com
PGP Public Key available from global directory.
-----

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Android Building" group.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Apr 15, 2013, 3:57:22 PM4/15/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, there are such backports for froyo and for ics-mr1.

Off-hand:
froyo:
build bcdfe1b5d4616df4f1070deed6c478dca674121f
frameworks/base 3ac65f86d78ab61b6cfbf8eff763b0aae20e0c63
frameworks/base 01f1fc27ba13275f9a638b811f641a405f8d121c

ics-mr1:
build 7dbd43015db42a28eeebab6f967a9a9ccee86d6a
frameworks/compile/linkloader d20c2fc7d3cf7eda8f53ed4282410983eb92bd68
external/oprofile 64a2e1d887fd2ccbde5f6222be821d34831c1bf2
external/mesa3d 2b2943c1f144ecccaeb13c0a3d51fead3f55f6db
external/gtest b174263f23ee9b419b9499d291af8015d70b957b

JBQ