Build android master branch on ubuntu 12.04

mike s

May 31, 2012, 4:24:42 PM5/31/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am trying to build android mast branch on ubuntu 12.04. I have setup build environment base on androi web pages.

From http://source.android.com/source/initializing.html
$ sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential \
  zip curl libc6-dev libncurses5-dev:i386 x11proto-core-dev \
  libx11-dev:i386 libreadline6-dev:i386 libgl1-mesa-dev:i386 \
  g++-multilib mingw32 openjdk-6-jdk tofrodos python-markdown \
  libxml2-utils xsltproc zlib1g-dev:i386

But it fails in building lib64EGL_translator
host SharedLib: libGLES_CM_translator (out/host/linux-x86/obj/lib/libGLES_CM_translator.so)
true
host SharedLib: libEGL_translator (out/host/linux-x86/obj/lib/libEGL_translator.so)
true
host SharedLib: libGLES_V2_translator (out/host/linux-x86/obj/lib/libGLES_V2_translator.so)
true
host SharedLib: lib64EGL_translator (out/host/linux-x86/obj/lib/lib64EGL_translator.so)
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGL

My question is the build works for libEGL_translator but fails for lib64EGL_translator,
when I only install libgl1-mesa-dev:i386 , shouldn't it just build libEGL_translator and skip lib64EGL_translator?

Thank you.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

May 31, 2012, 4:26:32 PM5/31/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
It's possible that we now need both, which means that we might be
missing some packages in the setup instructions.

JBQ
> --

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

mike s

May 31, 2012, 5:20:07 PM5/31/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks JBQ.

But ubuntu 12.04 won't let me install both. When I install ' libgl1-mesa-dev', it will remove " libdrm-dev:i386 libgl1-mesa-dev:i386 libxext-dev:i386 mesa-common-dev:i386"

$ sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dev

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
  libkms1:i386
  libdrm-dev libxext-dev mesa-common-dev
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libdrm-dev:i386 libgl1-mesa-dev:i386 libxext-dev:i386 mesa-common-dev:i386
  libdrm-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libxext-dev mesa-common-dev
0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 4 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/590 kB of archives.
After this operation, 101 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

On Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:26:32 PM UTC-7, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
It's possible that we now need both, which means that we might be
missing some packages in the setup instructions.

JBQ

> android-building+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

Jean-Baptiste Queru

May 31, 2012, 6:36:42 PM5/31/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm, bummer. I'm not an expert in installing Ubuntu packages, but
that seems to suggest that it will be hard to build both 32-bit and
64-bit GL applications on the same setup.

Hopefully someone with more Ubuntu experience can chime in.

JBQ
>> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 1:24 PM, mike s <michael.j....@gmail.com>
>> > android-buildi...@googlegroups.com
>> > For more options, visit this group at
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/android-building?hl=en
>>

>> --
>> Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
>> Software Engineer, Android Open-Source Project, Google.
>>
>> Questions sent directly to me that have no reason for being private
>> will likely get ignored or forwarded to a public forum with no further
>> warning.

mark gross

Jun 1, 2012, 2:40:26 PM6/1/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I haven't built master on my 12.04 64 bit system since april (when it worked fine after setting up the sym links. check my posting yesterday it had a link to that)

I'll try it again when I get home and post something.

--mark
create interesting things.

Conley Owens

Jun 1, 2012, 5:54:16 PM6/1/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
FYI, I've reproduced the issue. Looking into it.

Conley Owens

Jun 1, 2012, 7:22:30 PM6/1/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
There's a bug in the way the packages are set up:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mesa/+bug/949606

I've updated the initialization docs appropriately:
https://android-review.googlesource.com/#/c/37393/1/src/source/initializing.md

$ sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential \
zip curl libc6-dev libncurses5-dev:i386 x11proto-core-dev \
libx11-dev:i386 libreadline6-dev:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 \
libgl1-mesa-dev g++-multilib mingw32 openjdk-6-jdk tofrodos \
python-markdown libxml2-utils xsltproc zlib1g-dev:i386 \
libxext-dev:i386
$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so

~cco3

mark gross

Jun 3, 2012, 12:33:45 PM6/3/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I found that I needed to make a slightly different symbolic link to get master to build for me on 12.04

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/libGL.so

Just doing the steps in the initialisation docs you linked too wouldn't link.

I don't think screwing up my build host too much by having libGL.so point to a 32 bit module but as I don't do much host linux GL I wouldn't know.

--mark

Conley Owens

Jun 4, 2012, 2:08:18 PM6/4/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Mark:
hmm....I did I clean make and I also ran into errors (not sure why it
built correctly before). I'm looking into potential fixes. I feel
uncomfortable with throwing the symlink directly into lib/ though.

Mike:
I have them both installed without doing anything special. I've seen
Ubuntu be finicky about dependencies before. Perhaps try installing
the dependencies individually (sudo apt-get install libxext-dev) and
then run your command again.

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 9:28 AM, mike s <michael.j....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, I find out that it won't let me install both libgl1-mesa-glx:i386
> and libgl1-mesa-dev.
>

> $ sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential
> zip curl libc6-dev libncurses5-dev:i386 x11proto-core-dev    libx11-dev:i386
> libreadline6-dev:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386    libgl1-mesa-dev g++-multilib
> mingw32 tofrodos    python-markdown libxml2-utils xsltproc zlib1g-dev:i386
> libxext-dev:i386
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> bison is already the newest version.
> build-essential is already the newest version.
> curl is already the newest version.
> flex is already the newest version.
> g++-multilib is already the newest version.
> git-core is already the newest version.
> gnupg is already the newest version.
> gperf is already the newest version.
> libc6-dev is already the newest version.
> tofrodos is already the newest version.
> x11proto-core-dev is already the newest version.
> xsltproc is already the newest version.
> zip is already the newest version.
> mingw32 is already the newest version.
> python-markdown is already the newest version.
> libncurses5-dev:i386 is already the newest version.
> libreadline6-dev:i386 is already the newest version.
> libx11-dev:i386 is already the newest version.
> libxext-dev:i386 is already the newest version.
> zlib1g-dev:i386 is already the newest version.
> libxml2-utils is already the newest version.
> libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 is already the newest version.
> libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 set to manually installed.
> or been moved out of Incoming.
> The following information may help resolve the situation:

>  libgl1-mesa-dev : Depends: libxext-dev but it is not going to be installed

Conley Owens

Jun 4, 2012, 2:16:58 PM6/4/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Ok, the following seems to work for me:
$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so

That mirrors the setup for the files in /usr/lib/x86_64. Doing a
clean build now just to make sure.

Conley Owens

Jun 4, 2012, 2:35:31 PM6/4/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Are the unmet dependencies different this time? Does it mention a
package other than libxext-dev?

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 11:26 AM, mike s <michael.j....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks. I have done what you suggested. But it still complains the same
> thing (unmet dependencies):
> I install libxext-dev first and than installed all the libraries in your
> earlier message in this thread.
>
> $ sudo apt-get install libxext-dev
>
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> libxext-dev is already the newest version.
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 50 not upgraded.
> ~/Programs $ sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf

Conley Owens

Jun 4, 2012, 4:14:19 PM6/4/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
My clean build completed fine

Mike:
Ok, I created a fresh 12.04 install and managed to reproduce the
problem. Simply remove libxext-dev:i386 and see if you run into
further problems.

mark gross

Jun 4, 2012, 4:06:10 PM6/4/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
FWIW I also got the libxext-dev complaints.  I think I just installed libxext-dev through synapitc and maybe had synaptic fix any broken packages.  (memory is fuzzy on what I did and that box is away from me right now so I can't check)  at some point the complaints stopped.

--mark

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Conley Owens <cc...@android.com> wrote:

--
create interesting things.

Conley Owens

Jun 8, 2012, 10:52:59 AM6/8/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the confusion. The current steps listed on
http://source.android.com/source/initializing.html
should be correct.

If you notice, the apt-get install line doesn't contain libxext-dev,
so it shouldn't complain about holding broken packages. Let me know
if it does.

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 11:56 PM, ys <yogi....@gmail.com> wrote:
> This discussion is very confusing.
> Can any one conclude the final step
>
> 1)I first install  run this command
> sudo apt-get install libxext-dev
> 2) I install following packages
> sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential    zip
> curl libc6-dev libncurses5-dev:i386 x11proto-core-dev    libx11-dev:i386
> libreadline6-dev:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386    libgl1-mesa-dev g++-multilib
> mingw32 tofrodos    python-markdown libxml2-utils xsltproc zlib1g-dev:i386
>  libxext-dev:i386
>
> Still I am getting the error as

>  libgl1-mesa-dev : Depends: libxext-dev but it is not going to be installed
>
> Please someone correct me if i am missing anything.
> Ubuntu version: 12.04(upgraded from 10.04)
> android version: 4.0.4
>

> On Tuesday, June 5, 2012 2:19:55 AM UTC+5:30, mike s wrote:
>>
>> Thanks. That works for me too. And I don't need to create any symbolic
>> links and it still works.

Chandra Gopalaiah

Jul 2, 2012, 2:36:19 PM7/2/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Jack.

On Jul 1, 2012 9:55 PM, "Jack Ren" <jack....@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry for late response.
(1) That step is only required to build emulator. If you don't build emulator, you can skip it.
(2) can you please install those i386 package manually to see if you have any problem in installing them?

--
Best regards,
Jack Ren

On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:29:04 PM UTC-7, Chandra wrote:
Hi Rec,
Thanks for that info.
I encountered the same issue while building on ubuntu 12.04.
But still the script you gave didn't work to fix the issue.
Here is the output after executing the script.
Package `libdrm-dev:i386' is not installed.
Package `libgl1-mesa-dev:i386' is not installed.
Package `libxext-dev:i386' is not installed.
Package `mesa-common-dev:i386' is not installed.
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
tar: Cowardly refusing to create an empty archive
Try `tar --help' or `tar --usage' for more information.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libgl1-mesa-dev is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 252 not upgraded.
tar (child): /tmp/GL_i386.tgz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2

Highly appreciate if you can help me to fix the issue.

Thanks,
Chandra

On Monday, June 11, 2012 7:24:29 AM UTC-7, Jack Ren wrote:
I figured out a way to build Android AOSP master branch on ubuntu 12.04 for a while.

I am doing like this:

========================
Build android device
========================
Install the packages required to build Android: (http://source.android.com/source/initializing.html)
$ sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential \
  zip curl libc6-dev libncurses5-dev:i386 x11proto-core-dev \
  libx11-dev:i386 libreadline6-dev:i386 libgl1-mesa-dev:i386 \
  g++-multilib mingw32 openjdk-6-jdk tofrodos python-markdown \
  libxml2-utils xsltproc zlib1g-dev:i386

The default gcc is 4.6, which can't build android. Use gcc-4.4 instead:
$ sudo apt-get install gcc-4.4 g++-4.4 g++-4.4-multilib gcc-4.4-multilib
$ mkdir ~/gcc_fix
$ cd ~/gcc_fix
$ ln -s /usr/bin/cpp-4.4 cpp
$ ln -s /usr/bin/g++-4.4 g++
$ ln -s /usr/bin/gcc-4.4 gcc
$ ln -s /usr/bin/gcov-4.4 gcov
$ ln -s gcc cc
$ export PATH=~/gcc_fix:$PATH

The default JDK is OpenJDK 1.6, which can't build android.
To fix it, please download jdk-6u32-linux-x64.bin from http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/
then:
$ cd /usr/lib/jvm
$ sudo /path/to/jdk-6u32-linux-x64.bin
$ sudo ln -s jdk1.6.0_32 java-6-sun
$ export PATH=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin:$PATH
$ export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun
Then build as usual

=============================
How to build Android emulator
=============================
If you are trying to build android emulator (from google AOSP tree) on ubuntu
12.04, you could meet the following issue:
"
prebuilt/linux-x86/ccache/ccache g++
-Wl,-rpath-link=out/host/linux-x86/obj/lib -Wl,-rpath,\$ORIGIN/../lib -shared
-Wl,-soname,lib64GLES_V2_translator.so -Wl,-Bsymbolic   -Wl,--no-undefined
-Lout/host/linux-x86/obj/lib   -m32
out/host/linux-x86/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/lib64GLES_V2_translator_intermediates/GLESv2Imp.o
out/host/linux-x86/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/lib64GLES_V2_translator_intermediates/GLESv2Context.o
out/host/linux-x86/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/lib64GLES_V2_translator_intermediates/GLESv2Validate.o
out/host/linux-x86/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/lib64GLES_V2_translator_intermediates/ShaderParser.o
out/host/linux-x86/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/lib64GLES_V2_translator_intermediates/ProgramData.o
-Wl,--whole-archive   -Wl,--no-whole-archive
out/host/linux-x86/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/lib64GLcommon_intermediates/lib64GLcommon.a
out/host/linux-x86/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/lib64cutils_intermediates/lib64cutils.a
out/host/linux-x86/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/lib64utils_intermediates/lib64utils.a
out/host/linux-x86/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/lib64log_intermediates/lib64log.a
out/host/linux-x86/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/lib64OpenglOsUtils_intermediates/lib64OpenglOsUtils.a
-o out/host/linux-x86/obj/lib/lib64GLES_V2_translator.so -lGL -ldl -ldl
-lpthread -lrt  -m64
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGL
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
"

Reason:
Android sdk is trying to build the emulator64 and emulator at same time, so it
needs to link to both x64 and i386 GL libaries. However, ubuntu 12.04
doesn't allow to install libgl1-mesa-dev:i386 and libgl1-mesa-dev at same
time (unlike ubuntu 10.04).

Fix:
Run following scripts:
"
#!/bin/bash
#
install_files=`dpkg -L libdrm-dev:i386 libgl1-mesa-dev:i386 libxext-dev:i386 mesa-common-dev:i386`;
for file in $install_files;do
        if [ ! -d $file ];then
                echo $file >> /tmp/GL_i386.log
        fi
done
cd /
cat /tmp/GL_i386.log|xargs tar czf /tmp/GL_i386.tgz
sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dev
sudo tar zxf /tmp/GL_i386.tgz
"

Then build the Android as usual:
$ source ./build/envsetup.sh
$ lunch full_x86-eng
$ make droid -jN

> --

mark gross

Jul 3, 2012, 10:03:41 AM7/3/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
did you forget to set up the symbolic link?

Installing required packages (Ubuntu 12.04)

Building on Ubuntu 12.04 is currently only experimentally supported and is not guaranteed to work on branches other than master.

$ sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential \
  zip curl libc6-dev libncurses5-dev:i386 x11proto-core-dev \
  libx11-dev:i386 libreadline6-dev:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 \
  libgl1-mesa-dev g++-multilib mingw32 openjdk-6-jdk tofrodos \
  python-markdown libxml2-utils xsltproc zlib1g-dev:i386
$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so

--mark

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 9:06 PM, Sonny Gulanes <sonny....@wideout.com> wrote:
Can we use this to build a specific branch? I have problems with 4.0.4_r2.1 using 12.04 LTS. I have compile errors with su and superuser which I didn't have before in 10.04 LTS.

create interesting things.

Conley Owens

Jul 25, 2012, 11:01:02 AM7/25/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
That doesn't seem right. Those packages should definitely be available.

Can you show us the results of `uname -a` and `apt-cache show zip`?

~cco3

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 12:15 AM, Palmtree <remla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having issues with the following:
>
> sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential \
> zip curl libc6-dev libncurses5-dev:i386 x11proto-core-dev \
> libx11-dev:i386 libreadline6-dev:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 \
> libgl1-mesa-dev g++-multilib mingw32 openjdk-6-jdk tofrodos \
> python-markdown libxml2-utils xsltproc zlib1g-dev:i386
>

> I'm on Ubuntu 12.04 and get the following for output:
>
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Unable to locate package zip
> E: Unable to locate package libx11-dev:i386
> E: Unable to locate package libg11-mesa-dev
> E: Unable to locate package python-markdown

Conley Owens

Jul 25, 2012, 4:32:19 PM7/25/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
You should be able to install "zip" and the other packages it was
complaining about.

sudo apt-get install zip

If that works fine, try running the whole command again.