4.1.2 in AOSP

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 9, 2012, 12:43:21 PM10/9/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
We're releasing Android 4.1.2 to AOSP today, which is a minor update
on top of 4.1.1.

As a note to maintainers of community builds running on Nexus 7:
please update to 4.1.2 at the first opportunity. Future variants of
the grouper hardware will have a minor change in one of the components
(the power management chip) that will not be compatible with 4.1.1.

The build number is JZO54K, and the tag is android-4.1.2_r1.

Enjoy,
Conley and JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.

Jeremy Schulte

Oct 9, 2012, 12:48:05 PM10/9/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Does this mean we will see a new factory image for Grouper soon?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 9, 2012, 1:12:59 PM10/9/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Availability of factory images will match the timing of the OTA to
retail devices, as usual.

JBQ

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 9, 2012, 1:15:45 PM10/9/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
This release contains the full git logs, as usual.

JBQ

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Arvid Gerstmann
<arvid.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Awesome! Any changelogs?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 9, 2012, 1:17:12 PM10/9/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I can't talk about future releases, sorry.

JBQ

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Jeff Felismino
<jeff.fel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Will 4.1.2. be available for Galaxy Nexus?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 9, 2012, 1:17:51 PM10/9/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure someone will gather a full changelog from git once all the
replication completes.

JBQ

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Artem Russakovskii <arch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey JBQ,
>
> Awesome news. Can you share some changes in 4.1.2 please?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 9, 2012, 1:19:32 PM10/9/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
The new chip is functionally identical to the old one, but requires
some bootloader and driver tweaks. You don't gain anything from it (if
anything, you lose the ability to run 4.1.1).

JBQ

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 10:17 AM, JF Dionne <jeanfra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the update!
>
> But does that mean I bought my nexus 7 tablet too soon ?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 9, 2012, 1:30:01 PM10/9/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
No, there's no specific time frame for future releases.

JBQ

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Jeff Felismino
<jeff.fel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> is there a specific time when the OTA for 4.1.2 will be released for all
> nexus devices?
>

> On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:43:44 AM UTC+8, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 9, 2012, 1:30:51 PM10/9/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I haven't been able to follow the exact change-by-change log of what
went into this release.

JBQ

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 10:24 AM, rob0t <dzied...@gmail.com> wrote:
> any changes to address this problem?
>
> "Nexus 7 slow when less than 3GB free "
> http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/mobile/loqbCbKVMWE/veH_7NAk-YgJ

Al Sutton

Oct 9, 2012, 1:31:16 PM10/9/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
That is not, and has never been, something that the people on this list can provide an answer to.

Al.
--
Al Sutton - Funky Android Ltd.

T: @alsutton

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and not necessarily those of Funky Android Limited, it's associates, or it's subsidiaries.

On 9 Oct 2012, at 18:19, Jeff Felismino <jeff.fel...@gmail.com> wrote:

is there a specific time when the OTA for 4.1.2 will be released for all nexus devices?

Kush Shrivastava

Oct 9, 2012, 1:25:45 PM10/9/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
error: revision android-4.1.2_r1 in manifests not found.

How long before we could try to sync?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 9, 2012, 1:32:32 PM10/9/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Soon. Typically, the end-to-end process for a push takes a bit more
than 1 hour, more if that's a complex release.

JBQ

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 9, 2012, 1:33:41 PM10/9/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Kernel questions should really go to android-kernel, as that's where
the kernel experts live.

JBQ

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Paul Reioux <rei...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Will kernel source follow soon? (have been hitting F5 on the git :D )

Al Sutton

Oct 9, 2012, 1:33:33 PM10/9/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I'll put up a change log once I've got a sync on my servers. Hopefully it should be in the next couple of hours, if not it may be tomorrow morning european time.

Al.
--
Al Sutton - Funky Android Ltd.
(www.funkyandroid.com)

T: @alsutton
G+: http://goo.gl/ymi9b

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and not necessarily those of Funky Android Limited, it's associates, or it's subsidiaries.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 9, 2012, 1:35:07 PM10/9/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
There's a new revision coming indeed with a different power management
chip. It's functionally identical to the existing one, but requires a
new driver and bootloader that weren't part of 4.1.1.

JBQ

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Mark Smith <plasma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sry in advance im a newbie here.
>
> You said new chip. Does that mean, that we'll see a new revision of Nexus 7
> tablets with other chips?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 9, 2012, 1:41:01 PM10/9/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
-As was mentioned several times in this thread already, I'm not
allowed to answer that question.

-Even if I was allowed to answer it, it's not precise enough anyway as
there are many versions of Galaxy Nexus.

JBQ

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Nikolay N. <niki...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When will the update be rolled out to the Galaxy Nexus, International
> version?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 9, 2012, 2:13:14 PM10/9/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
The replication to all the git servers has completed, feel free to
sync android-4.1.2_r1

JBQ

Al Sutton

Oct 9, 2012, 3:01:08 PM10/9/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
git log for Android 4.1.1_r6 (JRO03R) to Android 4.1.2_r1 (JZO54K) : http://www.funkyandroid.com/aosp-JRO03R-JZO54K.html
--
Al Sutton - Funky Android Ltd.
(www.funkyandroid.com)

T: @alsutton
G+: http://goo.gl/ymi9b

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and not necessarily those of Funky Android Limited, it's associates, or it's subsidiaries.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 10, 2012, 10:24:35 AM10/10/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
-The -release branches are implementation details, you should never be
using them directly. That's why there's no manifest for them.

-I'll update jb-release if there's a new release coming from it.

JBQ

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Vishveshwar <vishves...@aim.com> wrote:
> I noticed that the jb-release branch is not updated and a new branch
> jb-mr0-release is created for JB 4.1.2.
>
> Any plans on updating the jb-release branch?
>
> -Vishveshwar

Al Sutton

Oct 10, 2012, 10:35:00 AM10/10/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
At no point did I say that the change log I produced was for a specific device. The two revisions of the AOSP that it relates to are clearly shown.

As I've streamlined the process I have for generating change logs, and because you asked so nicely, here's one for JRO03D to JZO54K with hyperlinks to the projects and commits;

--
Al Sutton - Funky Android Ltd.

T: @alsutton

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and not necessarily those of Funky Android Limited, it's associates, or it's subsidiaries.

On 10 Oct 2012, at 04:33, Paulo Giron <prg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Al Sutton !

I want to comment that this changelog isn't complete because it show differences between

JRO03R and JZO54K builds, but stock ROM for Nexus 7 is based on build JRO03D.

A good example of missing data is the commit responsible for enabling landscape on Nexus 7. You can see that the config "allow_rotation" is been setted to true on this commit: https://android.googlesource.com/platform/packages/apps/Launcher2/+/d7d37b134b7a3b12858ff099069eba369a6b5373%5E%21/#F0

Follows a more complete changelog:

To generate this changelog I used the command:
repo forall -pc git log --oneline --no-merges android-4.1.1_r1.1..android-4.1.2_r1
Message has been deleted