4.2 and AOSP

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 13, 2012, 12:29:15 PM11/13/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Good news everyone!

-The source code for 4.2 is being pushed to AOSP right now. Look for
it under the name "android-4.2_r1" once the replication completes. The
matching development branch (for CTS contributions) is jb-mr1-dev, and
all the changes are merged into the master branch where platform
contributions are accepted.

-Nexus 10 is now the best choice for AOSP work on 4.2. Everything
except the GPU code is Open Source, and the only proprietary binaries
besides the GPU libraries are firmware files that get loaded into the
various peripheral chips. No flagship device so far has been so open,
and no flagship device so far has had that level of AOSP support at
launch.

-Nexus 7 3G isn't supported. We haven't been able to license the GSM
stack for AOSP yet, and without the GSM stack this device doesn't do
more than a plain Nexus 7.

-If AOSP starts pointing toward Nexus 4, you are having a bad problem,
and you will not go to space today (i.e.: there is nothing in AOSP
related to Nexus 4).

-Factory images for the "takju" Galaxy Nexus as well as Nexus 7 (both
variants), Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 are available at
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

-Proprietary binaries to run AOSP on Galaxy Nexus (maguro, toro and
toroplus), Nexus 7 (grouper) and Nexus 10 (manta) are available at
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/drivers

-There is no support for 4.2 on Nexus S and Xoom. Those devices should
continue using 4.1.2.

JBQ

PS: don't reply to this thread if you have specific questions. Start
new threads instead.

PPS: no ETAs for OTAs.

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.

Jeremy Schulte

Nov 13, 2012, 12:34:21 PM11/13/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Thank you sir!

Message has been deleted

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 13, 2012, 1:01:11 PM11/13/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I can't comment about the future of Nexus S and Xoom, sorry.

JBQ

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Artem Russakovskii <arch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is more of a clarification so I'm not going to start a new thread: am I
> reading this correctly that AOSP support is stopping for the XOOM and Nexus
> S, or they're not *currently* supported with this release but will be
> supported in the future?
>
> Thanks, JBQ.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 13, 2012, 1:04:28 PM11/13/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I will take care of the kernel sources as soon as everything clears up
on the platform side.

JBQ

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 9:58 AM, JF Dionne <jeanfra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi JBQ
>
> Thanks for the update.
>
> I guess that as usual you will start a new thread when kernel updates will
> be released ?
>
> JF

Jet Shinoda

Nov 13, 2012, 1:11:44 PM11/13/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com

thank you sir

I.C.F
Twitter/IG/SZ: @jetshinoda
Sent from Google devices

Daniel Goller

Nov 13, 2012, 1:20:21 PM11/13/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com

What was that about nexus 4 and aosp?
Nothing for nexus 4 in aosp?
Tell me I'm too sleepy to understand what it was you really meant to say.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 13, 2012, 1:31:42 PM11/13/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
To clarify: Nexus 4 is not supported in AOSP at the moment: no source
files, no binaries.

JBQ

mark dobson

Nov 13, 2012, 1:32:58 PM11/13/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Who needs source when you can't even get one

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 13, 2012, 1:44:23 PM11/13/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I can't comment on the future of Nexus 4 in AOSP, sorry.

JBQ

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Lou <lou.fo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you please clarify what you said about the Nexus 4 and AOSP? Are you saying that Nexus 4 currently isn't in AOSP, or won't ever be in AOSP?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 13, 2012, 1:46:45 PM11/13/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I can't comment about 4.2 support for Nexus S or Xoom.

JBQ

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Andreas Lusth <exo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you elaborate on why there is no support for the Nexus S?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 13, 2012, 3:19:11 PM11/13/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Yakju images will be distributed through the usual location once the
yakju OTA is approved.

JBQ

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Patrick Rochon
<rochon....@gmail.com> wrote:
> what about the yakju image ?

Bill Gatliff

Nov 13, 2012, 3:30:14 PM11/13/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Guys:

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Geofuzzy <goga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> at some point you have to retire a device with
> less then a GB of RAM.

I reject this justification, unless one truly needs 1GB of RAM to run
the later code.

We killed off the Nexus One earlier than necessary because of a
nonsense flash partitioning issue. Let's not make that mistake again.
While it is true that the GPU in that handset would have provided a
less-than-optimal experience, that's for the end user to conclude for
themselves. Use the user's experience with the underperforming device
to help motivate the demand for new hardware, rather than simply
denying them the utility of their current handsets.

I'm a huge fan of Android and AOSP, and am exceedingly grateful to JBQ
and others for all the hard work that they do. To toss their work
away because certain devices become technically inconvenient for
vendors to support is tragic, makes no engineering sense, and sends
the wrong message to the larger open source AND commercial development
communities.

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff
bg...@billgatliff.com

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 13, 2012, 3:44:27 PM11/13/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
That part of the discussion is getting off-topic for this thread and
for this forum.

Thanks,
JBQ

Scott Fan

Nov 13, 2012, 10:46:57 PM11/13/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi JBQ,

Do you plan to push the git tag "android-sdk-adt_r21" (for ADT r21) to AOSP?

Thanks

Scott Fan

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 13, 2012, 10:54:03 PM11/13/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I expect that I should be able to do that once everything clears up.
In the meantime, that should essentially be the tip of the tools_r21
branch.

JBQ

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 13, 2012, 10:56:22 PM11/13/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
It means that right now you can't build AOSP for either of those
devices in a way that results in a functional device. And that's all
it means.

JBQ

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 7:47 PM, Kevin <kevins...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So in a nut shell what does this mean for 4 and 7 3g? Seriously. I just purchased both. Should I take this as my confidence shaken and withdraw my orders?99
>
> --

Message has been deleted

Karim Yaghmour

Nov 14, 2012, 5:17:14 AM11/14/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Very cool. Thanks for keeping this going, very much appreciated.

--
Karim Yaghmour
CEO - Opersys inc. / www.opersys.com

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 20, 2012, 12:16:18 PM11/20/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
This should work to build and run an x86 emulator:

source build/envsetup.sh
lunch full_x86-eng
make
emulator&

JBQ

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Aziz Thraya <azi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Intel X86 not supported by the 4.2? no emulator no kernel source...
>
> thank you

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 20, 2012, 12:24:44 PM11/20/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
There's typically a small gap (hours or days) between the platform
source release and the kernel source release, with the platform
usually coming first (because it's much easier to automate). the
kernel sources have now been available for a little while.

JBq

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 10:45 AM, imnuts <imn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the platform source, and looking forward to the kernel source
> being pushed out soon too. :)
>
> Mark
>

> On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 1:04:34 PM UTC-5, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
>>
>> I will take care of the kernel sources as soon as everything clears up
>> on the platform side.
>>
>> JBQ

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 20, 2012, 12:27:19 PM11/20/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Everything should be available at this point.

JBQ

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 9:24 AM, RC <rosa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would you post updates in the forum when the kernel source is ready?
>
> Thank you.
>
> -RC

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 20, 2012, 3:44:15 PM11/20/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
It's got issues. We've got source changes submitted in the kernel
repository, but the prebuilt kernel doesn't seem to work everywhere:
https://android-review.googlesource.com/46477

JBQ