Next Week: Shabbat Morning Services, May 9, 10am

Altshul

Apr 30, 2015, 9:38:43 PM4/30/15
to altshul-br...@googlegroups.com
SHALOM! Shabbat candle lighting in Brooklyn is 7:34pm.

Upcoming at Altshul
  • Shabbat Morning Services and Community Lunches, May 9, 10am
    Altshul will meet at Beth Elohim in the chapel at 10:00am for Shabbat morning services. Location is CBE, 274 Garfield Place. Kindershul will start at the beginning of the Torah service in the social hall.
    More details to follow about Community Lunches.

  • Kabbalat Shabbat and Maariv Services, May 15, 7pm
    Altshul will meet at CBE in the board room on Friday night for Kabbalat Shabbat and Ma'ariv. 274 Garfield Place, Brooklyn.

  • Shavuot Morning Services, May 24, 5am

  • Shavuot Morning Services, May 25, 10am
View the extended Altshul Minyan calendar.

Altshul Announcements
  • NEW: Hosted Lunches - Community Survey Responses, May 9
    Altshul recently sent out a survey to solicit feedback about our community. On Saturday, May 9th, there will be hosted lunches in the homes of community members. At each lunch, there will be a discussion about the community survey results and an opportunity to provide thoughts and feedback. Please sign up here to attend.  Deadline for completing the survey is Sunday, May 3.

  • NEW: Altshul Beit Midrash, Saturday May 2, 3-5pm
    The Inter-generational Beit Midrash will meet for the last time before fall this Shabbat, May 2, from 3-5pm at CBE.  We will continue our study of Samuel, Saul and King David.  Babysitting will be provided for children under 6.  Kids over 6 will join the studying.  If you haven't studied with us yet, you won't want to miss this opportunity!  Studying will be followed by a pot luck picnic seudah shlishi in the park. View Altshul's kashrut policy.  Please RSVP to lio...@hotmail.com.

    More adult only Beit Midrash sessions will meet at CBE from 8am-10am May 9 & June 13.

  • Altshul Volunteer Shift Signup
    There's now a new and easy way to sign up for your Altshul Setup Shift. We ask that everyone who attends Altshul volunteer at least one Shabbat morning or Friday night per year. The role includes helping set up shul, greeting people at the door, and cleaning up shul (not kiddush) afterward. It's easy, and Altshul depends on everyone taking part. Volunteers will be supported with detailed, easy-to-follow instructions, a teammate, and the opportunity to select their volunteer date. Sign up using the Altshul Shift Signup Form. Please contact Cheryl at logi...@altshul.org with any questions.
    Volunteers needed on the following dates:
    May 9 (Saturday Morning at 10 am)
    May 15 (Friday Evening at 7 pm)

  • Join the Lifecycle Team
    Would you like to help prepare food for the families of newborn children?  Visit sick members of our community?  To join the mailing list for our Lifecycle Team, please email Shannon at life...@altshul.org.

  • Join the Altshul Parents Listserve
    Are you a new parent, a parent who is new to the area, or just interested in learning more about Altshul's family activities? Join the Altshul Parents listserve! Email Nina at ki...@altshul.org.
CBE Announcements
  • CBE Respite Bed Shelter Volunteer Sign-up
    We are once again hosting the CBE Respite Bed Shelter from May 17 to June 25 in partnership with CAMBA. The shelter will run from Sunday night to Thursday night, providing dinner and shelter for up to 12 guests each night. Volunteering to help the CBE shelter is a great experience for families with teens (and many others!) and provides a much-needed service.

    For more information or to volunteer for food preparation or an overnight stay (we always need 2 guests a night to sleep over), please visit http://congregationbethelohim.org/content/homeless-shelter.

    This year the shelter also needs a pantry coordinator and a second laundry coordinator. If you know of anyone who you think would be interested in volunteering in one of these roles please contact Betty Leigh: bettyleig...@gmail.com.

  • Introduction to Judaism with Rabbi Marc Katz
    Every Wednesday night
    Through ancient texts and modern media, participants learn to navigate Jewish tradition, holidays, history and life-cycle events while gaining tools for conducting Jewish ritual at home. Register online.
Community Announcement
  • NEW: Seeking Sublet
    After being away from Brooklyn for the past two years, we are looking for a summer sublet, ideally near Altshul.  Seeking 2br summer sublet for couple with two small children.  Ideal dates June 2 - Aug 3 but somewhat flexible.  Please email aviv...@gmail.com.

  • Attend the NHC Summer Institute as a Zeitler Fellow! (Application due May 11th)
    Do you enjoy participatory, spirited, inclusive, thoughtful, lay-led Jewish community? Join over 300 people who share that love this summer at the NHC (National Havurah Committee) Summer Institute in Rindge, New Hampshire! A week at Institute includes plenty of serious study, moving prayer, spirited conversation, late-night jam sessions, singing, dancing, swimming, meditation, and hiking, as well as an opportunity to meet and learn from a diverse, multigenerational  group of attendees. Institute attendees create a wonderful community together for a week -- and leave with new ideas, skills, and experiences to bring back to their home communities for the rest of the year and beyond. For attendees between the ages of 22 and 32, the NHC is now accepting applications for its Zeitler Fellows Program. Fellows participate in the full Summer Institute programming and in four workshops designed specifically for them. As a Fellow, you receive a scholarship for tuition, room, and board, and are expected to pay only for registration and dues ($147) for the full week (August 3-9). The application can be found here: http://havurah.org/institute/institute-2015/zeitler-fellowship-2015/. Please see our website for more information or call the NHC office at 215-248-1335. The application is due May 11th.

  • ACRONYM: Leading the Jewish Alphabet conference, May 17
    Announcing "ACRONYM: Leading the Jewish Alphabet," the first-ever full-day conference hosted by the Council of Young Jewish Presidents (CYJP). ACRONYM is an exciting opportunity for 100 young lay leaders with a proven track record of engagement in the Jewish community to come together for a day of training, education, and networking. The conference is set to take place on Sunday, May 17th, at the Educational Alliance Manny Cantor Center on the Lower East Side. For more information, visit the conference's website.
Join and post your own community announcements on the Altshul Community Discussion Group on Facebook.