This Week: Pesach VII & VIII/Shabbat Morning Services + Passover Potluck Kiddush, April 10-11, 10am

Altshul

Apr 8, 2015, 1:12:23 PM4/8/15
to altshul-br...@googlegroups.com
HAPPY PASSOVER! Shabbat candle lighting in Brooklyn is 7:12pm.

Upcoming at Altshul
  • Pesach VII Morning Services, April 10, 10 am
    Altshul will meet at Beth Elohim in the chapel at 10:0am for holiday morning services.  Location is CBE, 274 Garfield Place. Kindershul will start at the beginning of the Torah service in the social hall.

  • Pesach VIII/Shabbat Morning Services and Potluck Kiddush, April 11, 10 am
    Altshul will meet at Beth Elohim in the chapel at 10:0am for holiday morning services.  We will hear Shir Ha-Shirim and chant Yizkor.  Location is CBE, 274 Garfield Place. Kindershul will start at the beginning of the Torah service in the social hall.  Please bring your last remaining Pesach treats to share for a communal kiddush.

    After services, please join the community in a Passover potluck kiddush. Bring your leftover Passover-friendly snacks, sweets, dips, and other dairy/parve treats to share with the community. Any prepared food should be made in a kosher-for-Passover kitchen. Check out the rest of Altshul's kashrut guidelines.

  • Kabbalat Shabbat and Maariv Services and Potluck Dinner with Shir HaMaalot, April 17, 7pm
    Altshul joins Shir HaMaalot for full Hebrew liturgy Kabbalat Shabbat services with singing and musical instruments, followed by a vegetarian potluck dinner, socializing and more singing. Union Temple of Brooklyn, 17 Eastern Pkwy, Brooklyn

    Potluck dinners continue to be delicious because everyone keeps making and bringing tasty things. Please bring a plentiful Main, Salad, or Side dish, and use the Potluck Spreadsheet to enable us to print a food accessibility label and keep the potluck delicious, nourishing and accessible to those with a broad range of dietary requirements. View the Facebook Event.

  • Shabbat Morning Services, April 25, 10am
    Altshul will meet at Beth Elohim in the chapel at 10:00am for Shabbat morning services. Location is CBE, 274 Garfield Place. Kindershul will start at the beginning of the Torah service in the social hall.
View the extended Altshul Minyan calendar.

Altshul Announcements
  • Altshul Beit Midrash, April 11, 8-10am
    The next session of the Altshul Beit Midrash (adults only) will meet on April 11.  It will meet from 8-10am at CBE in the 2nd floor classrooms adjacent to the ballroom.  Breakfast is included.  Pesach is Rabbi Joe's favorite holiday, so it should be an awesome session!  Questions? email lio...@hotmail.com

    We are encouraging late sleepers to join our newly scheduled, inter-generational afternoon sessions with options for children of all ages!  These session will be held April 18 and May 2, non-altshul shabbatot, from 3-5pm.  To RSVP, ask questions or help plan these sessions please email lio...@hotmail.com.

    We are also continuing morning adult learning on April 25, May 9 and June 13.

  • Altshul Women's Spring Clothing Swap! Wednesday, April 15th, 7:30-9:00pm
    Ready to part with the clothes you no longer wear? Your trash may be someone else's treasure. Come to the Altshul Women's Clothing Swap! Bring your good-quality, gently worn clothes, shoes, bags, scarves, accessories etc. All items not scooped up by fellow swappers will be donated.  Snacks will be served. Please RSVP to soc...@altshul.org to receive details on our Prospect Heights location.

  • Race Prospect Park with Altshul! - April 19, 2015
    Join fellow Altshulers for a race around beautiful Prospect Park and a post-run brunch on Sunday morning, April 19, 2015. We'll be participating in the Broklyn 15K run, which has 5K, 10K, and 15K options, as well as a run for kids. To join us, register here for the run, and then email soc...@altshul.org to let us know you'll be joining, so we can keep you posted on our brunch location and timing. Let's run our park together!

  • Altshul Volunteer Shift Signup
    There's now a new and easy way to sign up for your Altshul Setup Shift. We ask that everyone who attends Altshul volunteer at least one Shabbat morning or Friday night per year. The role includes helping set up shul, greeting people at the door, and cleaning up shul (not kiddush) afterward. It's easy, and Altshul depends on everyone taking part. Volunteers will be supported with detailed, easy-to-follow instructions, a teammate, and the opportunity to select their volunteer date. Sign up using the Altshul Shift Signup Form. Please contact Cheryl at logi...@altshul.org with any questions.
    Volunteers needed on the following dates:
    April 10 (Passover VII-Friday at 10 am)
    April 11 (Passover VII- Saturday at 10 am)
    April 25 (Saturday Morning at 10 am)

  • Join the Lifecycle Team
    Would you like to help prepare food for the families of newborn children?  Visit sick members of our community?  To join the mailing list for our Lifecycle Team, please email Shannon at life...@altshul.org.

  • Join the Altshul Parents Listserve
    Are you a new parent, a parent who is new to the area, or just interested in learning more about Altshul's family activities? Join the Altshul Parents listserve! Email Nina at ki...@altshul.org.
CBE Announcements
  • NEW: CBE Respite Bed Shelter Volunteer Sign-up
    We are once again hosting the CBE Respite Bed Shelter from May 17 to June 25 in partnership with CAMBA. The shelter will run from Sunday night to Thursday night, providing dinner and shelter for up to 12 guests each night. Volunteering to help the CBE shelter is a great experience for families with teens (and many others!) and provides a much-needed service.

    For more information or to volunteer for food preparation or an overnight stay (we always need 2 guests a night to sleep over), please visit http://congregationbethelohim.org/content/homeless-shelter.

    This year the shelter also needs a pantry coordinator and a second laundry coordinator. If you know of anyone who you think would be interested in volunteering in one of these roles please contact Betty Leigh: bettyleig...@gmail.com.

  • Introduction to Judaism with Rabbi Marc Katz
    Every Wednesday night
    Through ancient texts and modern media, participants learn to navigate Jewish tradition, holidays, history and life-cycle events while gaining tools for conducting Jewish ritual at home. Register online.
Community Announcement
  • ACRONYM: Leading the Jewish Alphabet conference, May 17
    Announcing "ACRONYM: Leading the Jewish Alphabet," the first-ever full-day conference hosted by the Council of Young Jewish Presidents (CYJP). ACRONYM is an exciting opportunity for 100 young lay leaders with a proven track record of engagement in the Jewish community to come together for a day of training, education, and networking. The conference is set to take place on Sunday, May 17th, at the Educational Alliance Manny Cantor Center on the Lower East Side. For more information, visit the conference's website.
Join and post your own community announcements on the Altshul Community Discussion Group on Facebook.