This Saturday: Shabbat Morning Services, March 28, 10am

Altshul

Mar 25, 2015, 3:48:27 PM3/25/15
to altshul-br...@googlegroups.com
SHALOM! Shabbat candle lighting in Brooklyn is 6:57pm.

Upcoming at Altshul
  • Shabbat Morning Services, March 28, 10am
    Altshul will meet at Beth Elohim in the chapel at 10:00am for Shabbat morning services. Location is CBE, 274 Garfield Place. Kindershul will start at the beginning of the Torah service in the social hall.

  • Pesach Last Days, April 10 and 11, 10am
    Details to follow

  • Kabbalat Shabbat and Maariv Services, April 17, 7pm
    Altshul will meet at CBE in the board room on Friday night for Kabbalat Shabbat and Ma'ariv. 274 Garfield Place, Brooklyn.
View the extended Altshul Minyan calendar.

Altshul Announcements
  • NEW: Crafting your Seder Event, March 29
    Whether you'll be a guest at someone's table or are leading your own Seder, get your last bagels (and coffee!) in while prepping your soul, marking up your Haggadah, and gearing up for a beautiful Pesach. Join the Prospect Heights Shul,  Altshul, and Luria Academy for what promises to be an amazing morning of learning, community connection, and growth. Crafting Your Passover Seder will be on Sunday, March 29, from 9:30-1:30 at Luria Academy, 235 St. Marks Ave. $10 advance/ $12 at door.  RSVP online. Babysitting available--indicate your interest on the form. Facebook Event.

    9:30 AM: Open Doors for Breakfast and Snacks!
    10:00 AM: Pots, Pans, and The Four Cups of Wine;  The How's and Why's of a Halakhic Seder. Rabbi Ysoscher Katz, Rabbi, Prospect Heights Shul. In this session, we’ll spend some time learning the foundation of the laws of Pesach, covering a range of practical topics, from kashering  the kitchen to eating matzah at the Seder. There will be plenty of time for Q&A.
    11:00 AM: The Four (Thousand) Questions: Cultivating More Asking and Less Answering at your Seder. Dasi Fruchter, Community Scholar, Prospect Heights Shul. What is deeply Jewish about the art of asking questions? Come to this class to learn how to encourage and facilitate conversation at your seder by asking and exploring questions.
    12:00 PM: How to Run a Multi-Generational Seder. Amanda Pogany. Head of School, Luria Academy & Co-founder, Altshul. How do you run a seder that meets the needs of the grown-ups at your table while also engaging the children?  Walk away from this session with tools, ideas and materials to use at your seder.
    1:00 PM: Songs of Freedom: Making Music with Brownstone Brooklyn. All of You. Grab your instrument (we’ll have some there too—and chords!) to get into the Pesach spirit as we sing traditional Passover melodies and songs of freedom and redemption. All ages welcome and encouraged to join!

  • NEW: Sell your chametz
    Rabbi Micah Kelber has agreed to sell chametz on behalf of any Altshuler.  Please complete the form by following this link and email it to sellc...@altshul.org no later than 8 am on Friday, April 3 (erev Pesach).

  • Altshul Beit Midrash: "The Wicked Son", March 28, 8am
    The next session of the Altshul Beit Midrash, in preparation for Pesach, will focus on the topic of "The Wicked Son".  It will meet from 8-10am at CBE in the 2nd floor classrooms adjacent to the ballroom.  All adults and children first grade and above are encouraged to join us.  Breakfast is included.  The adults just finished the sugiyah we were working on so this week would be a great time to jump in to our look at the Radical Theologies of Masechet Brachot.   Questions? email lio...@hotmail.com

    The Beit Midrash has expanded our schedule to include 5 new spring sessions!
    We are encouraging late sleepers to join our newly scheduled, inter-generational afternoon sessions with options for children of all ages!  These session will be held April 18 and May 2, non-altshul shabbatot, from 3-5pm.  To RSVP, ask questions or help plan these sessions please email lio...@hotmail.com.

    We are also continuing morning adult learning on April 11, April 25, May 9 and June 13.

    The Beit Midrash winter session is partially funded through a grant from the National Havurah Committee. Please consider joining their annual summer institute.  Information at http://havurah.org/institute/institute-2015/

  • Altshul Seder Matching
    Altshul would love to try to connect Seder hosts and seder guests in our community. Email soc...@altshul.org if you have an extra place at your Seder table or if you want to join a seder in the neighborhood.

  • CHANGE OF DATE: Altshul Women's Spring Clothing Swap! Wednesday, April 15th, 7:30-9:00pm
    Ready to part with the clothes you no longer wear? Your trash may be someone else's treasure. Come to the Altshul Women's Clothing Swap! Bring your good-quality, gently worn clothes, shoes, bags, scarves, accessories etc. All items not scooped up by fellow swappers will be donated.  Snacks will be served. Please RSVP to soc...@altshul.org to receive details on our Prospect Heights location.

  • Race Prospect Park with Altshul! - April 19, 2015
    Join fellow Altshulers for a race around beautiful Prospect Park and a post-run brunch on Sunday morning, April 19, 2015. We'll be participating in the Broklyn 15K run, which has 5K, 10K, and 15K options, as well as a run for kids. To join us, register here for the run, and then email soc...@altshul.org to let us know you'll be joining, so we can keep you posted on our brunch location and timing. Let's run our park together!

  • Altshul Volunteer Shift Signup
    There's now a new and easy way to sign up for your Altshul Setup Shift. We ask that everyone who attends Altshul volunteer at least one Shabbat morning or Friday night per year. The role includes helping set up shul, greeting people at the door, and cleaning up shul (not kiddush) afterward. It's easy, and Altshul depends on everyone taking part. Volunteers will be supported with detailed, easy-to-follow instructions, a teammate, and the opportunity to select their volunteer date. Sign up using the Altshul Shift Signup Form. Please contact Cheryl at logi...@altshul.org with any questions.
    Volunteers needed on the following dates:
    April 10 (Passover VII-Friday at 10 am)
    April 11 (Passover VII- Saturday at 10 am)
    April 25 (Saturday Morning at 10 am)

  • Join the Lifecycle Team
    Would you like to help prepare food for the families of newborn children?  Visit sick members of our community?  To join the mailing list for our Lifecycle Team, please email Shannon at life...@altshul.org.

  • Join the Altshul Parents Listserve
    Are you a new parent, a parent who is new to the area, or just interested in learning more about Altshul's family activities? Join the Altshul Parents listserve! Email Nina at ki...@altshul.org.
CBE Announcements
  • NEW: Host a Hebrew-speaking shaliach or scout this summer
    Would you like to host a Hebrew-speaking shaliach or scout this summer?  CBE is looking for hosts for young Israeli adults who will be working as counselors in its Hebrew language summer camp, including one who is shomer shabbat and would love to stay in a kosher home.  Please email Shanie at skora...@cbebk.org.

  • Run CBE, March 29, 2015
    Support CBE and enjoy a 5K run in the park!  CBE is holding a benefit run March 29.  Register here.

  • Introduction to Judaism with Rabbi Marc Katz
    Every Wednesday night
    Through ancient texts and modern media, participants learn to navigate Jewish tradition, holidays, history and life-cycle events while gaining tools for conducting Jewish ritual at home. Register online.
Community Announcements
  • TONIGHT: Pre-Passover gourmet cooking demo & dinner, March 25
    The women's circle at Chabad Heights, cordially invites you to a Passover Cooking Demo & Dinner with acclaimed chef and Adamah foods director, Adam SaNogueira for a night of food and friends! Appetizer, wine and Demo at 7:30pm, Followed by dinner tasting. At the Chabad Heights Loft, 664 Sterling Place. Subway 2/3/4/5 to Franklin Ave. Cover $36 Sponsor $500 | RSVP to in...@brooklynyid.com | Limited space. Open to men, Women and girls age 16+ Complete menu TBA. Facebook Event.

  • NEW: Cocktails with a Conscience: Twisted Truth Trivia at Franklin Park!
    March 26 - 7:30pm, $5 | includes first drink | 21+. How much do you know about the state of our community? Test your knowledge and learn the twisted truth with Repair the World: NYC at a special social justice themed trivia night. Bring a team of friends to make new ones and win some pretty awesome prizes! Cocktails with a Conscience is a social justice happy hour series that brings people together to discuss local issues. Facebook Event.

  • NEW: ACRONYM: Leading the Jewish Alphabet conference, May 17
    ACRONYM: Leading the Jewish Alphabet is a one-day leadership development conference for 100 New York area young Jewish lay leaders convened by the Council of Young Jewish Presidents (CYJP), an affiliate of the Jewish Community Relations Council of New York.  CYJP convenes the presidents and officers of Jewish young leadership organizations in New York and provides them with the skills and peer-network necessary to lead our community. Sunday, May 17th, at the Educational Alliance Manny Cantor Center in the East Village, and early-bird rates end on March 30th. Register online.

  • Hannah Senesh Community Day School Passover Festival, March 29
    Hannah Senesh Community Day School invites you to a family-friendly Passover festival! Sunday, March 29th, 2015 at Hannah Senesh Community Day School, 9:00am-12:00pm for ages 2-10. With live music, storytime, and art activities! For the whole community, $5/person. View the Facebook Event.
Join and post your own community announcements on the Altshul Community Discussion Group on Facebook.