Duplicate file finder

Mr Pounder Esquire

Mar 30, 2016, 2:04:56 PM3/30/16
Does anybody know of a free, safe duplicate file finder for XP?
One where I can just click delete the duplicate file.
There is one in CCleaner but I'm not too sure about it.

Thanks.

Sjouke Burry

Mar 30, 2016, 3:23:06 PM3/30/16
I have been using "double killer"
for years.
link:
> http://www.bigbangenterprises.de/en/doublekiller/

It is a portable program, so you can run it
from an usb stick.

jbm

Mar 30, 2016, 6:45:36 PM3/30/16
http://www.duplicatecleaner.com/

Can be used for free but with some features missing.

jim

Mr Pounder Esquire

Mar 31, 2016, 7:36:59 AM3/31/16
Thanks for the replies, I'll take a look.

Ian Jackson

Mar 31, 2016, 11:26:06 AM3/31/16
In message <ndj1un$nn5$1...@dont-email.me>, Mr Pounder Esquire
<MrPo...@RationalThought.com> writes
A quick Google on
'duplicate file finder freeware'
brings up loads suggestions.
I'm going to start with some of these.
<http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-duplicate-file-remover.htm#Qui
ck_Selection_Guide>

--
Ian

Mr Pounder Esquire

Mar 31, 2016, 1:30:31 PM3/31/16
Yup.
But I was looking for experienced opinions.
Perhaps I should have mentioned that?

Ian Jackson

Mar 31, 2016, 2:37:20 PM3/31/16
In message <ndjmlj$a1d$1...@dont-email.me>, Mr Pounder Esquire
Well, I did use Dupdetector - but that was a few years ago - and it's on
another PC. Your query re-kindled my interest, but I thought I'd try
something different.

--
Ian

Mr Pounder Esquire

Apr 1, 2016, 6:17:22 AM4/1/16
The ones that I've looked at all give me the option to remove the
duplicates.
I have to make the decision.
I was looking for something that was Pounder proof and would just safely do
it for me.
Then again, this hard drive is 4/5 empty so is it worth the bother?

Pfsszxt

Apr 2, 2016, 10:01:42 AM4/2/16
Doesn't Glary Utilities do this?

Mr Pounder Esquire

Apr 2, 2016, 1:55:47 PM4/2/16
I think so, but I need a prog that will tell me what to safely delete.
The damage I have done in the past by messing about

Shadow

Apr 4, 2016, 6:14:10 PM4/4/16
Been using "Duplicate Cleaner" VERSION 1.4.7 from Digital
Volcano for ages. This is very fast. Checks duplicates by size and
hash. Multiple delete options. Option to delete to trash and delete
empty folders.
Don't be fooled into using the "bad" versions. Newer versions
are slow, bloated, phone home and pop up ads.

DuplicateCleaner_setup.exe v 1.4.7
2.43MB
SHA1 D45DBFEEFC8DD7FF5952BC74EA7590348F5AFA99
HTH
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Ian Jackson

Apr 5, 2016, 3:35:47 AM4/5/16
In message <pto5gbtskkuam44ve...@4ax.com>, Shadow
<S...@dow.br> writes
I'm giving it a go.
http://duplicate-cleaner.en.uptodown.com/download/1483
duplicate-cleaner-1.4.7.exe 2856kB

--
Ian

Mr Pounder Esquire

Apr 7, 2016, 2:25:10 PM4/7/16
What happened?

Ian Jackson

Apr 7, 2016, 3:32:14 PM4/7/16
In message <ne68fv$et1$1...@dont-email.me>, Mr Pounder Esquire
<MrPo...@RationalThought.com> writes
Got side-tracked!

--
Ian

Mr Pounder Esquire

Apr 10, 2016, 4:39:13 PM4/10/16
I'm still waiting.

Ian Jackson

Apr 10, 2016, 5:49:26 PM4/10/16
In message <needf9$6fj$1...@dont-email.me>, Mr Pounder Esquire
I gave it a quick go - but didn't instantly get the hang of it. It's now
a case of RTFM!

--
Ian

Mr Pounder Esquire

Apr 11, 2016, 10:13:24 AM4/11/16
Oh! One of "them" is it?

Ian Jackson

Apr 11, 2016, 11:34:35 AM4/11/16
In message <negb7t$jgl$1...@dont-email.me>, Mr Pounder Esquire
I wouldn't say that - more likely operator incompetence and lack of
imagination!

--
Ian

Mr Pounder Esquire

Apr 11, 2016, 2:19:01 PM4/11/16
Which puts me out of the equation.
About 12 months ago I was desperately failing to install pirate Windows 7 on
a laptop. I went to a group for help and they told me to do what I'd been
doing.
One kind gentleman took me in hand, we used telephone and TeamViewer.
The only way to load the DVD was to disable the harddrive in BIOS. Then do
the usual.
I did not understand it then, and I still don't understand it.

If you are reading this John, many thanks.