Warpage - symptoms? Cure?

Oliver Brose

Jun 30, 2006, 7:40:01 AM6/30/06
Hi Group,

I just received a couple of Criterion CAV editions. Among them "Seven".
Since I found some evidence of this pressing being a possible rotter I
instantly gave it a spin. It's perfect, not a single speck :)
Yet I do have a playback issue on side one. Approaching the end, I get
sound dropouts and playback gets flaky, sometimes it will even stop.
When the disc reaches its end via search it will not autoturn. Not
seeing any scratches on the surface I checked for and found some slight
warpage. Doesn't look that bad, less than two millimeters, but
apparently it is bad enough.

Do I remember correctly that I should place it between two flat objects,
glassplates maybe, and put a lot of weight on top for a couple of days
in order to flatten it out again?

Any help is appreciated,

Oliver,
still has Pulp Fiction and Brazil to check through. Lots of discs, lots
of discs...

Joshua Zyber

Jun 30, 2006, 7:43:56 AM6/30/06
"Oliver Brose" <br...@despammed.com> wrote in message

> Yet I do have a playback issue on side one. Approaching the end, I get
> sound dropouts and playback gets flaky, sometimes it will even stop.

What you describe could be due to disc warpage, or could be that your
player's laser is slightly out of alignment. The end of CAV disc sides
is a prime place that laser misalignment first manifests itself.

Oliver Brose

Jun 30, 2006, 8:32:58 AM6/30/06
Joshua Zyber schrieb:

It better be warpage ;) All the other sides play perfectly.

Oliver

publius

Jun 30, 2006, 11:28:40 AM6/30/06
Greetings.
If you absolutely must try de-warping, I can give you some tips which I
have used myself, with excellent results. Actually, though, I think
you are looking at a player problem. I had a similar problem, at one
time, with frame-stuttering toward the end of some -- BUT NOT ALL --
long CAV sides, 52+ thousand frames. Tweaking on the player optics
cured that.

I did manage to satisfactorily de-warp some used discs [CLV, as it
happens] which appeared to have been stored in a trouser press. They
looked like Pringles. I used the simple heat of the Sun ; it being
summer now, you are in luck. The approximate approach is as follows:

Acquire a patio table with a flat -- not textured! -- glass top, and
a place to let it sit in the sun all day. Acquire a second sheet of
glass, which may be thinner. Acquire a gallon [4L] or larger jug of
water.

Take the LD out of its packaging, and put it into one of those nasty
plastic U-sleeves. In the morning (preferably just before direct
sunlight strikes the area), set it on the patio table top, concave
down, with the second sheet of glass on top, and make sure you don't
get any wrinkles in the sleeve. At the same time, set the jug of water
in a nearby place where it is also in the sun.

Toward evening, place the now-warm jug of water onto the glass plate,
right in the middle of the LD. Leave it there until morning. Take the
apparatus apart and examine the results. If not satisfactory, repeat
from beginning. I had to do each disc twice, because the curvature was
in two opposing directions.

Actually, though, as I say, I don't believe this will solve your
problem. The player is the culprit, for my money, and if you leave it
this way it'll only get worse.

--publius--

Kurtis Bahr

Jul 1, 2006, 12:07:52 AM7/1/06
Joshua's response is correct.

You can try the wrapage first. You need flat surfaces and a lot of weight
on top and it will straighten out.

But I think your focus servo is a little out of adjustment which starts as
dropout in audio and video jump/skip/freeze and then it will stop.

Kurtis

"Joshua Zyber" <josh...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Oliver Brose

Jul 2, 2006, 6:24:58 PM7/2/06
publius schrieb:

> Acquire a patio table with a flat -- not textured! -- glass top, and
> a place to let it sit in the sun all day. Acquire a second sheet of
> glass, which may be thinner. Acquire a gallon [4L] or larger jug of
> water.
>
> Take the LD out of its packaging, and put it into one of those nasty
> plastic U-sleeves. In the morning (preferably just before direct
> sunlight strikes the area), set it on the patio table top, concave
> down, with the second sheet of glass on top, and make sure you don't
> get any wrinkles in the sleeve. At the same time, set the jug of water
> in a nearby place where it is also in the sun.
>
> Toward evening, place the now-warm jug of water onto the glass plate,
> right in the middle of the LD. Leave it there until morning. Take the
> apparatus apart and examine the results. If not satisfactory, repeat
> from beginning. I had to do each disc twice, because the curvature was
> in two opposing directions.

Thank you for the instructions, thanks to all for your replies. I took
advantage of the sunny weather today and did as described. Well, mostly.
I had no spare glass available, so I used a large piece of compound wood
(MDF, whatever, some IKEA remains I found in the basement) and put the
wrapped disc on top of it for a couple of hours, it got quite heated up.
Then I put a big heavy tile on top, covering the whole of the disc safe
for half a centimeter on two sides. The tile also heated up nicely. When
the sun moved away I added about 2,5 gallons of water on top and let it
sit for another four hours. Watched Pulp Fiction in between, that
Criterion transfer is very nice indeed :) Just finished & got the disc
back inside. The last chaper on side one now plays perfectly fine, same
for side two. All sundried goodness.
Nevertheless, I will keep an eye on the issue and possibly test with
some other long CAV sides. I would sure hope the player doesn't need to
be serviced, it might be quite a hassle to find a competent place for
that locally here in Germany.
I will also recommend the de-warping to a friend who messed up his CAV
edition of Ghost in the Shell by leaving it in a car in summer.

Thanks again,

Oliver :)

publius

Jul 2, 2006, 8:00:38 PM7/2/06
I should mention that the step of letting it cool overnight is to avoid
having the heat generated by the player rewarp the still-soft disc. I
actually did that my first try, with the result that it played but next
time I looked at it, it was messed up again [not as much as it had
been]. This was a CLV disc, and I played both sides ; the higher
rotation rate of a CAV disc moves more air through the player and keeps
it cooler, in spite of the increased motor heat, as well as generating
more centrifugal force to keep the disc flat.
I have dark suspicions that too many warp-dewarp cycles can damage
the disc, by causing delamination, or rot, or deformation of the pits.
I can't be sure, but I try to avoid taking chances.

--publius--

ronald felder

Jul 8, 2006, 10:53:30 PM7/8/06

"Oliver Brose" <br...@despammed.com> wrote in message

I know all of you people won't like this and I have had a LD player since
1981, but with all the problems that plagued laser discs software and
hardware it's no wonder it died and was replaced by dvd's. Actually even if
they didn't have problems I feel dvd's would have replaced them anyway.
Price of hardware, software and the size of the discs all helped dvd's to
succeed.

I do want all of you to know I own two LD players. Bought one as a back up a
few years back realizing if my original failed i'd never be able to get it
fixed or replaced.
Ron

> of discs...

AZ Nomad

Jul 9, 2006, 4:01:18 PM7/9/06

>I do want all of you to know I own two LD players. Bought one as a back up a
>few years back realizing if my original failed i'd never be able to get it
>fixed or replaced.
>Ron

I never had a lick of trouble with laserdiscs. I played them for thousands
of hours and the worse I had was one in a hundred and fifty with rot.

Meanwhile, I've yet to see a commercial DVD player that lasted 18 months
with starting to have major trouble playing through the smallest scratch or
fingerprint. On occasion I've had DVDs that will not play where there isn't
any visible damage or dirt. I never had a LD that wouldn't play.

Right now I've found a reliable solution: a multimedia PC with a
PC dvd drive. And 4 commercial players in the trash heap. And my
two pioneer laserdisc players still going strong.

How did you have so much trouble with laserdiscs? Are you a sony loyalist?

ronald felder

Jul 11, 2006, 8:25:05 AM7/11/06

> I never had a lick of trouble with laserdiscs. I played them for
thousands
> of hours and the worse I had was one in a hundred and fifty with rot.
>
> Meanwhile, I've yet to see a commercial DVD player that lasted 18 months
> with starting to have major trouble playing through the smallest scratch
or
> fingerprint. On occasion I've had DVDs that will not play where there
isn't
> any visible damage or dirt. I never had a LD that wouldn't play.

As for laserdiscs problems. Was in it from the beginning and as we all know
Discovision and the players were crap. Even years latter I got plenty a
disc with laser rot. Also of course plenty of clv discs with crosstalk. Sent
back many a time a defective disc to Pioneer for a replacement.

As for dvd players lasting. Mine is a Pioneer dv-414 and is still going
strong after 7 years.

Ron

AZ Nomad

Jul 11, 2006, 9:25:50 AM7/11/06
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 12:25:05 GMT, ronald felder <ronfelde...@verizon.net> wrote:

>> I never had a lick of trouble with laserdiscs. I played them for
>thousands
>> of hours and the worse I had was one in a hundred and fifty with rot.
>>
>> Meanwhile, I've yet to see a commercial DVD player that lasted 18 months
>> with starting to have major trouble playing through the smallest scratch
>or
>> fingerprint. On occasion I've had DVDs that will not play where there
>isn't
>> any visible damage or dirt. I never had a LD that wouldn't play.
>>
>As for laserdiscs problems. Was in it from the beginning and as we all know
>Discovision and the players were crap. Even years latter I got plenty a
>disc with laser rot. Also of course plenty of clv discs with crosstalk. Sent

For me it was one in a hundred. For DVDs that arrive from netflix unplayable,
it's about one in fifty.

>back many a time a defective disc to Pioneer for a replacement.

>As for dvd players lasting. Mine is a Pioneer dv-414 and is still going
>strong after 7 years.

I've yet to see a dvd player last five years and seen several have
problems within a year. Samsung is seriously a brand to avoid.

etvi...@cfl.rr.com

Jul 11, 2006, 9:44:36 AM7/11/06
I bought laserdiscs when the first came out before I even had a player.
Still have some, even though they are unwatchable due to laser rot.

The first Pioneer laserdiscs players used a gas laser and ran very very hot.
If you played several movies, the discs would come out bowl shaped at the
end of a side and would usually, return flat when playing the other side,
but not always. These warped discs, if not flattened, would skip or display
crosstalk as the laser fought to follow the curve of the disc. The
introduction of solid state lasers did a lot to solve these problems.
Still, they could do nothing about someone leaving the disc in a car on a
hot day.

ron felder

Jul 11, 2006, 5:09:12 PM7/11/06
AZ Nomad wrote:
> I've yet to see a dvd player last five years and seen several have
> problems within a year. Samsung is seriously a brand to avoid.

Well now you know me for as I said it's over seven years old and going
strong.

I suppose since players are so cheap it deosn't matter how long they last. I
bought mine back in 1999 and it cost a whopping $400.

Also have never had a bad dvd.

I suppose we're at the opposite ends of the spectrum. :)
Ron

Ronald Cole

Jul 11, 2006, 6:22:48 PM7/11/06
AZ Nomad <azn...@PmunOgeBOX.com> writes:
> I've yet to see a dvd player last five years and seen several have
> problems within a year. Samsung is seriously a brand to avoid.

I've got a Panasonic RP-82 that's run pretty well since early 2002.
That's four and a half years... The only DVD it ever had problems
with was the first disc of Soprano's Season 5. Went through four
different sets and it just didn't seem to like the bits it found
partway through the first episode.

Ronald Cole <ron...@forte-intl.com> Phone: (760) 499-9142
President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152

ron felder

Jul 11, 2006, 8:18:16 PM7/11/06
> AZ Nomad wrote:
>> I've yet to see a dvd player last five years and seen several have
>> problems within a year. Samsung is seriously a brand to avoid.
>
> Well now you know me for as I said it's over seven years old and going
> strong.
> ron felder wrote:

> I suppose since players are so cheap it deosn't matter how long they
> last. I bought mine back in 1999 and it cost a whopping $400.
>

> Also have never had a bad dvd.
>
> I suppose we're at the opposite ends of the spectrum. :)
> Ron

ron felder wrote:

Not only does it run, but it plays dvd+r's. I've been told old machines are
unable to play this type of disc. This true?

Ron