Films that "created" phrases or terms

Markus Appel

Dec 15, 2003, 4:44:23 PM12/15/03
Are there any films that have had huge influence on language? I understand
that Cipher's comment in Matrix ("Buckle up your seatbelt, Dorothy, 'cause
Kansas is going bye bye") comes from the Wizard of OZ (which I have never
seen).
Are there films that either coined or promoted certain
phrases/expressions/terms?
Markus

R H Draney

Dec 15, 2003, 5:05:09 PM12/15/03
Markus Appel filted:

>Are there any films that have had huge influence on language? I understand
>that Cipher's comment in Matrix ("Buckle up your seatbelt, Dorothy, 'cause
>Kansas is going bye bye") comes from the Wizard of OZ (which I have never
>seen).

That's actually a combination of phrases from at least two movies:

"Fasten your seatbelts; it's going to be a bumpy night" from "All About Eve"
"I don't think we're in Kansas any more" from "The Wizard Of Oz" (spoken by
Dorothy)

If there's a particular film responsible for "going bye bye" I'm not aware of
it....

>Are there films that either coined or promoted certain
>phrases/expressions/terms?

Lots...from "you ain't heard nothin' yet" (Al Jolson in "The Jazz Singer") to
"my bad" (Alicia Silverstone in "Clueless") and almost certainly beyond...we can
only hope that "turkey time, gobble, gobble" (Jennifer Lopez in "Gigli") doesn't
find its way into Bartlett's any time soon....r

sand

Dec 15, 2003, 5:43:17 PM12/15/03

Play it again, Sam.

S&

Dr Robin Bignall

Dec 15, 2003, 7:55:30 PM12/15/03

Which actually was never said in the film.

--

wrmst rgrds
Robin Bignall

Quiet part of Hertfordshire
England

Carmen L. Abruzzi

Dec 15, 2003, 8:42:04 PM12/15/03
Once upon a 12/15/03 2:05 PM, in the land of brlb6...@drn.newsguy.com,

the very good"R H Draney" from <dado...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Markus Appel filted:
>>
>> Are there any films that have had huge influence on language? I understand
>> that Cipher's comment in Matrix ("Buckle up your seatbelt, Dorothy, 'cause
>> Kansas is going bye bye") comes from the Wizard of OZ (which I have never
>> seen).
>
> That's actually a combination of phrases from at least two movies:
>
> "Fasten your seatbelts; it's going to be a bumpy night" from "All About Eve"
> "I don't think we're in Kansas any more" from "The Wizard Of Oz" (spoken by
> Dorothy)

It's "Toto--I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore".

More:

"Why, I'm not a witch at all."
"Ding, Dong, the witch is dead."
"I'll get you my pretty--and your little dog, too."
"Follow the yellow brick road."
"What would you do with a brain if you had one?"
"Lions and tigers and bears, oh, my!"
"We're off to see the Wizard."
"Run, Toto, run!"
"I'm melting, melting!"
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain."
"There's no place like home."

And of course,

"Somewhere, over the rainbow..."

Jitze Couperus

Dec 15, 2003, 7:47:15 PM12/15/03
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:44:23 +0100, "Markus Appel"
<markus...@web.de> wrote:

Frankly My Dear, I Don't Give A Damn

Jitze

Tony Cooper

Dec 15, 2003, 11:22:29 PM12/15/03
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:44:23 +0100, "Markus Appel"
<markus...@web.de> wrote:

"What we have here is a failure to communicate" "Cool Hand Luke".
The line delivered by Strother Martin was actually: "What we've got
here is failure to communicate", but it seems to be repeated with
"have".

Alec McKenzie

Dec 16, 2003, 4:17:44 AM12/16/03
Dr Robin Bignall <docr...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:43:17 +0200, sand <jan_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:44:23 +0100, "Markus Appel"
> ><markus...@web.de> wrote:
> >
> >>Are there any films that have had huge influence on language? I understand
> >>that Cipher's comment in Matrix ("Buckle up your seatbelt, Dorothy, 'cause
> >>Kansas is going bye bye") comes from the Wizard of OZ (which I have never
> >>seen).
> >>Are there films that either coined or promoted certain
> >>phrases/expressions/terms?
> >
> >Play it again, Sam.
> >
> Which actually was never said in the film.

But the film undoubtedly promoted the phrase, in spite of not actually
using it. This must be quite difficult to do. I wonder if it would be
possible to achieve this feat deliberately?

--
Alec McKenzie
mcke...@despammed.com

Donna Richoux

Dec 16, 2003, 4:37:58 AM12/16/03
Alec McKenzie <mcke...@despammed.com> wrote:

I think what's relevant here is that a different movie was made, called
"Play it Again, Sam," which was itself a tribute to "Casablanca." That
certainly perpetuated the impression that the line was said in
"Casablanca."

People often get quotes wrong. It seems to be a natural human tendency
to revise them. You can even watch a TV newscaster reading a quote that
is displayed on the screen and spot him or her changing the words
slightly -- "a" for "the," dropping a "that," etc.

--
Best -- Donna Richoux

J. J. Lodder

Dec 16, 2003, 4:40:32 AM12/16/03
Dr Robin Bignall <docr...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:43:17 +0200, sand <jan_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:44:23 +0100, "Markus Appel"
> ><markus...@web.de> wrote:
> >
> >>Are there any films that have had huge influence on language? I understand
> >>that Cipher's comment in Matrix ("Buckle up your seatbelt, Dorothy, 'cause
> >>Kansas is going bye bye") comes from the Wizard of OZ (which I have never
> >>seen).
> >>Are there films that either coined or promoted certain
> >>phrases/expressions/terms?
> >
> >Play it again, Sam.
> >
> Which actually was never said in the film.

It -was- said by Woody Allen,

Jan

Master of the universe and supreme ruler of all living beings (and I have permission from my wife to be so).

Dec 16, 2003, 6:07:06 AM12/16/03
> Are there films that either coined or promoted certain
> phrases/expressions/terms?

... and just about any film with W. C. Fields in it.

John Dean

Dec 16, 2003, 8:06:42 AM12/16/03

'You dirty rat'
'Badges? ....' [1]
'You're going to need a bigger boat'
'This was no boat accident'
'Nobody's perfect'
'These aren't the droids you're looking for'

[1] If you can't supply the rest of this, you're in the wrong thread
--
John Dean
Oxford

Jason Kirk

Dec 16, 2003, 11:04:10 AM12/16/03
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 13:06:42 +0000, John Dean wrote:

> Tony Cooper wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:44:23 +0100, "Markus Appel" <markus...@web.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Are there any films that have had huge influence on language? I
>>> understand that Cipher's comment in Matrix ("Buckle up your seatbelt,
>>> Dorothy, 'cause Kansas is going bye bye") comes from the Wizard of OZ
>>> (which I have never seen). Are there films that either coined or
>>> promoted certain phrases/expressions/terms?
>>> Markus
>>>

>> "What we have here is a failure to communicate" "Cool Hand Luke". The
>> line delivered by Strother Martin was actually: "What we've got here is
>> failure to communicate", but it seems to be repeated with "have".
>
> 'You dirty rat'
> 'Badges? ....' [1]
> 'You're going to need a bigger boat'
> 'This was no boat accident'
> 'Nobody's perfect'
> 'These aren't the droids you're looking for'

"Are you feeling lucky punk?"
"Use the force Luke!"
"Hang-on lads I've got an idea!"

The Unofficial JLA Homepage -- http://captain.custard.org/league

Mike Connally

Dec 16, 2003, 1:47:46 PM12/16/03
In article <1g622hu.1nubmu216h7f5sN%tr...@euronet.nl>, tr...@euronet.nl
(Donna Richoux) wrote:

> People often get quotes wrong. It seems to be a natural human tendency
> to revise them. You can even watch a TV newscaster reading a quote that
> is displayed on the screen and spot him or her changing the words
> slightly -- "a" for "the," dropping a "that," etc.

An example: Neil Armstrong actually said 'That's one
small step for _A_ man, one giant leap for mankind.'
The article is generally left out.

--
Mike Connally Reading, England

Harvey Van Sickle

Dec 16, 2003, 1:50:24 PM12/16/03
On 16 Dec 2003, Mike Connally wrote

Wasn't the article dropped in transmission?

I thought that whilst Armstrong *said* "for a man", what we heard back
on earth was "for [pause] man".

--
Cheers, Harvey

Ottawa/Toronto/Edmonton for 30 years;
Southern England for the past 21 years.
(for e-mail, change harvey to whhvs)

Spehro Pefhany

Dec 16, 2003, 1:53:34 PM12/16/03

That's only because Neil Armstrong left it out.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/onesmall.htm

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
sp...@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com

rzed

Dec 16, 2003, 2:19:06 PM12/16/03
Jason Kirk wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 13:06:42 +0000, John Dean wrote:
>
>> Tony Cooper wrote:

>>> "What we have here is a failure to communicate" "Cool Hand
>>> Luke". The line delivered by Strother Martin was actually: "What
>>> we've got here is failure to communicate", but it seems to be
>>> repeated with "have".
>>
>> 'You dirty rat'
>> 'Badges? ....' [1]
>> 'You're going to need a bigger boat'
>> 'This was no boat accident'
>> 'Nobody's perfect'
>> 'These aren't the droids you're looking for'
>
> "Are you feeling lucky punk?"
> "Use the force Luke!"
> "Hang-on lads I've got an idea!"

"Ni!"
"I'll be back."
"round up the usual suspects"
"we'll always have Paris"
"I made him an offer he couldn't refuse"
"hasta la vista, baby"

Catch-phrases pepper the language, and they definitely influence what
people say. But to say that they influence the language itself is
normally a stretch. A few phrases or terms are novelties --
"ultra-violence", for example -- but for the most part the phrases add
nothing but a set pattern of words to the language. The influence,
such as it is, lies in the speaker's offering a cultural touchstone to
the listener, as a way of asking if the listener is one of the guys.

--
rzed

Ben Zimmer

Dec 16, 2003, 4:37:05 PM12/16/03
rzed wrote:

> [...]
[snip]

> Catch-phrases pepper the language, and they definitely influence what
> people say. But to say that they influence the language itself is
> normally a stretch. A few phrases or terms are novelties --
> "ultra-violence", for example -- but for the most part the phrases add
> nothing but a set pattern of words to the language. The influence,
> such as it is, lies in the speaker's offering a cultural touchstone to
> the listener, as a way of asking if the listener is one of the guys.

Nonetheless, certain movies have had a noticeable impact on English
usage (especially AmE youth slang). Here are my nominees for the ten
most linguistically influential American movies since 1980:

* Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
* Valley Girl (1983)
* Heathers (1989)
* Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989)
* Do the Right Thing (1989)
* Boyz N the Hood (1991)
* Wayne's World (1992)
* Clueless (1995)
* Swingers (1996)
* Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997)

I note that the OED now includes citations from the scripts of most of
the above movies. (This is no doubt due to the noble vision of North
American Editor and sometime AUE contributor Jesse Sheidlower.)

Ray Heindl

Dec 16, 2003, 6:24:35 PM12/16/03
Spehro Pefhany <spef...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 18:47:46 +0000, the renowned
> mi...@deadstart.com (Mike Connally) wrote:
>>An example: Neil Armstrong actually said 'That's one
>>small step for _A_ man, one giant leap for mankind.'
>>The article is generally left out.
>
> That's only because Neil Armstrong left it out.
>
> http://www.snopes.com/quotes/onesmall.htm

It was all part of the plot to fake the moon landings. By making an
intentional "error" they increased the believability.

--
Ray Heindl
(remove the Xs to reply)

Garry J. Vass

Dec 16, 2003, 7:18:17 PM12/16/03
"John Dean" <john...@frag.lineone.net> wrote in message

> 'These aren't the droids you're looking for'

Don't forget the all-time double-entendre of the series: "Aren't you a
little short for a stormtrooper?"

Mark Raymond

Dec 16, 2003, 9:20:23 PM12/16/03

> >> 'You dirty rat'
> >> 'Badges? ....' [1]
> >> 'You're going to need a bigger boat'
> >> 'This was no boat accident'
> >> 'Nobody's perfect'
> >> 'These aren't the droids you're looking for'
> >
> > "Are you feeling lucky punk?"
> > "Use the force Luke!"
> > "Hang-on lads I've got an idea!"
>
> "Ni!"
> "I'll be back."

we took a while for this one, didn't we?!

> "round up the usual suspects"
> "we'll always have Paris"
> "I made him an offer he couldn't refuse"
> "hasta la vista, baby"

How about:

"You keep using that word[1]. I do not think it means what you think
it means."

[1] ie "Inconceivable!"

"Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone who tells you differently is selling
something."

"You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous
is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia". But only slightly less
well known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on
the line"!"

"I was born ready"

"Shit!" "What?" "Rollers." "No!" "Yeah." "Shit!"

"This is glue. Strong stuff."

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a packet
of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses... HIT IT!"

... and so many more.

Mark@work

Charles Riggs

Dec 17, 2003, 12:44:19 AM12/17/03
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 18:50:24 GMT, Harvey Van Sickle
<harve...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On 16 Dec 2003, Mike Connally wrote
>
>> In article <1g622hu.1nubmu216h7f5sN%tr...@euronet.nl>,
>> tr...@euronet.nl (Donna Richoux) wrote:
>>
>>> People often get quotes wrong. It seems to be a natural human
>>> tendency to revise them. You can even watch a TV newscaster
>>> reading a quote that is displayed on the screen and spot him or
>>> her changing the words slightly -- "a" for "the," dropping a
>>> "that," etc.
>>
>> An example: Neil Armstrong actually said 'That's one
>> small step for _A_ man, one giant leap for mankind.'
>> The article is generally left out.

Nope. That is what he meant to say. The tension of the moment caused
him to screw it up, understandably, making the phrase meaningless. He
greatly regretted the mistake, he admitted later.

>Wasn't the article dropped in transmission?

Nope. He paused, trying to recall what he had rehearsed, but he never
said "a".

>I thought that whilst Armstrong *said* "for a man", what we heard back
>on earth was "for [pause] man".

What we heard is what he said. We have that from the horse's mouth.

--
Charles Riggs
Email address: chriggsŚatŚeircomŚdotŚnet

Jesse Sheidlower

Dec 17, 2003, 12:13:55 PM12/17/03
In article <3FDF7B01...@midway.uchicago.edu>,

Ben Zimmer <bgzi...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:

>Nonetheless, certain movies have had a noticeable impact on English
>usage (especially AmE youth slang). Here are my nominees for the ten
>most linguistically influential American movies since 1980:
>
>* Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
>* Valley Girl (1983)
>* Heathers (1989)
>* Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989)
>* Do the Right Thing (1989)
>* Boyz N the Hood (1991)
>* Wayne's World (1992)
>* Clueless (1995)
>* Swingers (1996)
>* Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997)
>
>I note that the OED now includes citations from the scripts of most of
>the above movies. (This is no doubt due to the noble vision of North
>American Editor and sometime AUE contributor Jesse Sheidlower.)

There's no OED quote for _Fast Times_ at the moment, but we have
one waiting to go in somewhere (I've forgotten where). We have
nothing from _Boyz N the Hood,_ which I think was not that
lexically innovative, and the entries containing _Swingers_ cites
haven't yet been published. All the other movies do have OED
representation at the moment, and this representation will grow
as editing progresses.

Ben came up with a good list. I might also add _The Breakfast
Club_ and _South Park_.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED

Areff

Dec 17, 2003, 12:42:32 PM12/17/03
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> Ben came up with a good list. I might also add _The Breakfast
> Club_ and _South Park_.

How about _Happy Days_, which unquestionably is responsible for
repopularizing "cool" and "nerd"? When is the OED going to acknowlege
the lexical importance of this culturally influential television
series? Is the OED anti-Fonzie? Does the OED deny the truth of the
Fonzie Thesis (nka "the Fonzie Theory")?

How about _Rocky_, which is unquestionably responsible for popularizing
the modern "Yo!" interjection? When is the OED going to acknowledge
the lexical importance of that culturally influential film? Is the OED
anti-Stallone?

But nooooooooooo, the OED meanwhile treats _Mystic Pizza_ and stuff
like that as innovative. Bwahahahaha! It is to oy! I'm mad as Freck
and I'm not gonna take it anymore!

Rich Ulrich

Dec 17, 2003, 12:43:34 PM12/17/03
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:37:05 -0500, Ben Zimmer
<bgzi...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:

<snip, earlier notes >

> Nonetheless, certain movies have had a noticeable impact on English
> usage (especially AmE youth slang). Here are my nominees for the ten
> most linguistically influential American movies since 1980:
>
> * Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
> * Valley Girl (1983)
> * Heathers (1989)
> * Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989)
> * Do the Right Thing (1989)
> * Boyz N the Hood (1991)
> * Wayne's World (1992)
> * Clueless (1995)
> * Swingers (1996)
> * Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997)

Buffy-the-movie was 1992.

I have it on DVD, but did it contribute many words by itself?

I suspect that the television series (IMDB calls it 1997)
reached more people and contributed more expressions,
but that opens the floor to a wider set of nominees.

--
Rich Ulrich, wpi...@pitt.edu
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html

Opus the Penguin

Dec 17, 2003, 2:04:29 PM12/17/03
Areff <rf...@sparky.cs.nyu.edu> wrote:

> But nooooooooooo, the OED meanwhile treats _Mystic Pizza_ and
> stuff like that as innovative. Bwahahahaha! It is to oy! I'm
> mad as Freck and I'm not gonna take it anymore!

What does it say about _Mystic Pizza_?

--
Opus the Penguin (that's my real email addy)
You snipped my sig!

Ben Zimmer

Dec 17, 2003, 2:35:42 PM12/17/03
Rich Ulrich wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:37:05 -0500, Ben Zimmer
> <bgzi...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>
> <snip, earlier notes >
> > Nonetheless, certain movies have had a noticeable impact on English
> > usage (especially AmE youth slang). Here are my nominees for the ten
> > most linguistically influential American movies since 1980:
> >
> > * Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
> > * Valley Girl (1983)
> > * Heathers (1989)
> > * Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989)
> > * Do the Right Thing (1989)
> > * Boyz N the Hood (1991)
> > * Wayne's World (1992)
> > * Clueless (1995)
> > * Swingers (1996)
> > * Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997)
> >

> Buffy-the-movie was 1992.
>
> I have it on DVD, but did it contribute many words by itself?
>
> I suspect that the television series (IMDB calls it 1997)
> reached more people and contributed more expressions,
> but that opens the floor to a wider set of nominees.

Whoops, thanks for the correction. Yes, I wonder how influential the
dialogue in the movie might have been, or whether it simply served as a
template for the TV show. The new OED entry for "much" (as in "Jealous
much?" from "Heathers") gives citations from both the movie and the TV
show, but it was no doubt the show that really popularized that and
other Buffyisms:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3FA81653...@midway.uchicago.edu

Ben Zimmer

Dec 17, 2003, 2:44:34 PM12/17/03
Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> In article <3FDF7B01...@midway.uchicago.edu>,
> Ben Zimmer <bgzi...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> >
> >Nonetheless, certain movies have had a noticeable impact on English
> >usage (especially AmE youth slang). Here are my nominees for the ten
> >most linguistically influential American movies since 1980:
> >
> >* Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
> >* Valley Girl (1983)
> >* Heathers (1989)
> >* Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989)
> >* Do the Right Thing (1989)
> >* Boyz N the Hood (1991)
> >* Wayne's World (1992)
> >* Clueless (1995)
> >* Swingers (1996)
> >* Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997)
> >
> >I note that the OED now includes citations from the scripts of most of
> >the above movies. (This is no doubt due to the noble vision of North
> >American Editor and sometime AUE contributor Jesse Sheidlower.)
>
> There's no OED quote for _Fast Times_ at the moment, but we have
> one waiting to go in somewhere (I've forgotten where).

Well, as I've argued here before (pipe down, Areff), we can thank
_FTaRH_ for the popularization of "bogus", "wuss", and vocative "dude",
and the repopularization of vocative "bud" and non-ironic "cool".

> We have nothing from _Boyz N the Hood,_ which I think was not that
> lexically innovative,

Perhaps it wasn't that innovative, but it exposed new urban black slang
to a wider (and whiter) audience. As I mentioned in another thread,
"props" could only be found in rap lyrics before _Boyz_ was released.

> and the entries containing _Swingers_ cites haven't yet been
> published.

The draft entry for "skank" has a cite from the _Swingers_ script ("Some
skank who isn't half the woman my girlfriend is").

Simon R. Hughes

Dec 17, 2003, 2:45:51 PM12/17/03
Thus spake Areff:

And we can't leave out _Pulp Fiction_, from whence the rise of
"motherfucker".
--
Simon R. Hughes

Evan Kirshenbaum

Dec 17, 2003, 4:40:58 PM12/17/03
Tony Cooper <tony_co...@mungedyahoo.com> writes:

> "What we have here is a failure to communicate" "Cool Hand Luke".
> The line delivered by Strother Martin was actually: "What we've got
> here is failure to communicate", but it seems to be repeated with
> "have".

And, as you did in the first quote, with an extra "a".

HP Laboratories |You gotta know when to code,
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 | Know when to log out,
Palo Alto, CA 94304 |Know when to single step,
| Know when you're through.
kirsh...@hpl.hp.com |You don't write your program
(650)857-7572 | When you're sittin' at the term'nal.
|There'll be time enough for writin'
http://www.kirshenbaum.net/ | When you're in the queue.

Jerry Friedman

Dec 17, 2003, 4:59:37 PM12/17/03
Ben Zimmer <bgzi...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote in message news:<3FE0B00E...@midway.uchicago.edu>...

> Whoops, thanks for the correction. Yes, I wonder how influential the
> dialogue in the movie might have been, or whether it simply served as a
> template for the TV show. The new OED entry for "much" (as in "Jealous
> much?" from "Heathers") gives citations from both the movie and the TV
> show, but it was no doubt the show that really popularized that and
> other Buffyisms:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3FA81653...@midway.uchicago.edu

Oh dear. That use of "much" was popular among my friends when I was
in college (1979-83). If someone stumbled, someone else might say,
"Walk much?" There's got to be an earlier cite.

--
Jerry Friedman

chrissy

Dec 17, 2003, 6:45:59 PM12/17/03
tr...@euronet.nl (Donna Richoux) wrote in message news:<1g622hu.1nubmu216h7f5sN%tr...@euronet.nl>...

Alas poor Yoric, I knew him well ...

Chrissy ...

chrissy

Dec 17, 2003, 6:53:05 PM12/17/03
"Master of the universe and supreme ruler of all living beings \(and I have permission from my wife to be so\)." <john.smith@micro$oft.com> wrote in message news:<brmsfs$6pe$1...@newstree.wise.edt.ericsson.se>...

> > Are there films that either coined or promoted certain
> > phrases/expressions/terms?
>
> ... and just about any film with W. C. Fields in it.

Was "Come up and see me sometime from a Mae West" movie?

Chrissy

chrissy

Dec 17, 2003, 6:55:05 PM12/17/03
Jason Kirk <use...@captain.custard.org> wrote in message news:<pan.2003.12.16....@captain.custard.org>...

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 13:06:42 +0000, John Dean wrote:
>
> > Tony Cooper wrote:

> >> "What we have here is a failure to communicate" "Cool Hand Luke". The
> >> line delivered by Strother Martin was actually: "What we've got here is
> >> failure to communicate", but it seems to be repeated with "have".
> >
> > 'You dirty rat'
> > 'Badges? ....' [1]
> > 'You're going to need a bigger boat'
> > 'This was no boat accident'
> > 'Nobody's perfect'
> > 'These aren't the droids you're looking for'
>
> "Are you feeling lucky punk?"

And don't forget "Make my day!"

chrissy

Dec 17, 2003, 6:59:12 PM12/17/03
tr...@euronet.nl (Donna Richoux) wrote in message news:<1g622hu.1nubmu216h7f5sN%tr...@euronet.nl>...
> Alec McKenzie <mcke...@despammed.com> wrote:
>
> > Dr Robin Bignall <docr...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> > > Which actually was never said in the film.
> >
> > But the film undoubtedly promoted the phrase, in spite of not actually
> > using it. This must be quite difficult to do. I wonder if it would be
> > possible to achieve this feat deliberately?
>
> I think what's relevant here is that a different movie was made, called
> "Play it Again, Sam," which was itself a tribute to "Casablanca." That
> certainly perpetuated the impression that the line was said in
> "Casablanca."

I also like the borrowing from Casbalanca in Naked Gun 2 1/2 where
Leslie Nielsen in his proposal speech at the end says "the problems of
two small people may not amount to a hill of beans ... but these are
OUR beans ..."

Chrissy

R H Draney

Dec 17, 2003, 7:04:48 PM12/17/03
chrissy filted:

>Was "Come up and see me sometime from a Mae West" movie?

Perhaps, but "why don'tcha come up some time, see me?" certainly was...she was
talking to Cary Grant....r

Robert Lieblich

Dec 17, 2003, 8:43:11 PM12/17/03
chrissy wrote:

[ ... ]

> Alas poor Yoric, I knew him well ...

Not well enough to spell his name right.

--
Horatio

Jesse Sheidlower

Dec 17, 2003, 8:44:04 PM12/17/03
In article <3FE0B222...@midway.uchicago.edu>,
Ben Zimmer <bgzi...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:

>Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
>>
>> We have nothing from _Boyz N the Hood,_ which I think was not that
>> lexically innovative,
>
>Perhaps it wasn't that innovative, but it exposed new urban black slang
>to a wider (and whiter) audience. As I mentioned in another thread,
>"props" could only be found in rap lyrics before _Boyz_ was released.

I just didn't think it contained that much urban black slang
(relatively speaking). In any case, the last time I checked
we couldn't find a script for it, but there does seem to be
one available now, so I'll make sure it gets read.

>> and the entries containing _Swingers_ cites haven't yet been
>> published.
>
>The draft entry for "skank" has a cite from the _Swingers_ script ("Some
>skank who isn't half the woman my girlfriend is").

Quite right. I forgot this had been published. There should be more
_Swingers_ cites coming.

Jesse Sheidlower

Charles Riggs

Dec 17, 2003, 11:28:21 PM12/17/03
On 17 Dec 2003 13:59:37 -0800, jerry_f...@yahoo.com (Jerry
Friedman) wrote:

We used 'much' in the same way, back in the early 1960s. Not a cite,
but anecdotal evidence anyway.

chrissy

Dec 18, 2003, 2:56:50 AM12/18/03
Robert Lieblich <Robert....@Verizon.net> wrote in message news:<3FE1062F...@Verizon.net>...

> chrissy wrote:
>
> [ ... ]
>
> > Alas poor Yoric, I knew him well ...
>
> Not well enough to spell his name right.

Alas poor Chrissy ... she cannot spell, despite being a woman of
infinite jest, of most excellent fancy ...

And now, how abhorred in my recollection is this quote! My gorge rims
at
it.

Cheers

Chrissy

Evan Kirshenbaum

Dec 18, 2003, 6:53:56 PM12/18/03
jerry_f...@yahoo.com (Jerry Friedman) writes:

> Ben Zimmer <bgzi...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote

> > Whoops, thanks for the correction. Yes, I wonder how influential
> > the dialogue in the movie might have been, or whether it simply
> > served as a template for the TV show. The new OED entry for
> > "much" (as in "Jealous much?" from "Heathers") gives citations
> > from both the movie and the TV show, but it was no doubt the show
> > that really popularized that and other Buffyisms:
> >
> > http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3FA81653...@midway.uchicago.edu
>
> Oh dear. That use of "much" was popular among my friends when I was
> in college (1979-83). If someone stumbled, someone else might say,
> "Walk much?" There's got to be an earlier cite.

I think that the new sense is attaching it to something other than a
verb. In the first episode of _Buffy_, Cordelia says "Morbid much" in
response to Buffy's asking if there are bite marks on a corpse. Going
back to the original movie, we find "smell of booze much" and "nice
much".

HP Laboratories |Politicians are like compost--they
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |should be turned often or they start
Palo Alto, CA 94304 |to smell bad.

kirsh...@hpl.hp.com
(650)857-7572

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

Robert Bannister

Dec 18, 2003, 7:56:12 PM12/18/03
Jitze Couperus wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:44:23 +0100, "Markus Appel"
> <markus...@web.de> wrote:
>

>>Are there any films that have had huge influence on language? I understand
>>that Cipher's comment in Matrix ("Buckle up your seatbelt, Dorothy, 'cause
>>Kansas is going bye bye") comes from the Wizard of OZ (which I have never
>>seen).
>>Are there films that either coined or promoted certain
>>phrases/expressions/terms?

>>Markus
>>

> Frankly My Dear, I Don't Give A Damn

Tomorrow is another day.
--
Rob Bannister

John Holmes

Dec 18, 2003, 4:58:00 AM12/18/03
Ben Zimmer wrote:

> Nonetheless, certain movies have had a noticeable impact on English
> usage (especially AmE youth slang). Here are my nominees for the ten
> most linguistically influential American movies since 1980:

[snip list]

How significant do you think those (or any) movies are when measured
against the influence of TV programmes? There must surely be a couple of
orders of magnitude difference.

--
Regards
John

R H Draney

Dec 19, 2003, 4:00:08 AM12/19/03
John Holmes filted:

I contend that, in the US at any rate, the TV show responsible for the greatest
number of catchphrases getting into general circulation was "Get
Smart"..."Saturday Night Live" and "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In" also place high
on the list, but as neither made any pretense at having a dramatic continuity
and could thus contrive to stick target phrases in more or less at random, we
have to deduct a few points....r

Dr Robin Bignall

Dec 19, 2003, 9:40:08 AM12/19/03
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 08:56:12 +0800, Robert Bannister <rob...@it.net.au>
wrote:

Has anyone mentioned "Kemo Sabe" and "Hi Yo, Silver"?

--

wrmst rgrds
Robin Bignall

Quiet part of Hertfordshire
England

Tony Cooper

Dec 19, 2003, 9:45:17 AM12/19/03

I would rule them out because they were originally heard on the radio.
There were "Lone Ranger" movies, but the phrases were very
recognizable before the films.

R F

Dec 19, 2003, 11:41:20 AM12/19/03

You are correct, sir. For example, _Happy Days_ reintroduced (AIW) "cool"
and "nerd" into the speech of young people. ("Nerd" was later helped
along by _Saturday Night Live_, but not much later.)

Let's see, what else? _All In The Family_ must have popularized
"meathead". Oh, and we know that "boink" was essentially invented by
_Cheers_ and popularized by _Moonlighting_.

Ben Zimmer

Dec 19, 2003, 1:19:57 PM12/19/03
R F wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, John Holmes wrote:
>
> > How significant do you think those (or any) movies are when measured
> > against the influence of TV programmes? There must surely be a couple of
> > orders of magnitude difference.
>
> You are correct, sir. For example, _Happy Days_ reintroduced (AIW) "cool"
> and "nerd" into the speech of young people. ("Nerd" was later helped
> along by _Saturday Night Live_, but not much later.)

Looks like there was a span of more than two years between significant
_HD_ and _SNL_ usage:

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-270/epid-20524/
They Call It Potsie Love
Episode Number 53
First Aired December 2, 1975
Joanie is fascinated by Potsie. Richie and Ralph want to
practice next week, but Potsie says he can't because he
wants to sing at his cousin's wedding. Ralph calls him a
nerd, but Joanie says he is not a nerd. ... Potsie finds
a note in his hamburger, coat pocket, and in a book
addressed to Dren. Potsie gets a note telling him to go
to Arnold's, push H14 on the jukebox, turn around and she
will be there. It turns out that Joanie is the mystery
woman and says that Potsie is just the opposite of a nerd
- and nerd backwards is "Dren".

http://snl.jt.org/ep.php?i=7801280
Aired: January 28, 1978 (original)
Number: 3.10 (56)
Host: Robert Klein
Sketch: Nerds Radio Interview
Robert Klein .... Spazz
Dan Aykroyd .... Larry Doogan, deejay
Jane Curtin .... Enid Loopner
Bill Murray .... Todd DiLaMuca
Gilda Radner .... Lisa Loopner
[First appearance of Todd and Lisa.]

Sadly, the OED's new entry for "nerd" doesn't include citations from
either show. So far _HD_ has no cites at all, while _SNL_ has
contributed cites for "noogie" (Todd and Lisa again), "party animal",
"meister" (The Richmeister), and "not" (Wayne's World). (Todd and Lisa
should get some credit for the "not" postfix too-- I believe it was used
in the "Nerds Science Fair" sketch with Steve Martin, which aired in
April '78: <http://snl.jt.org/detail.php?i=1085>.)

R F

Dec 19, 2003, 2:05:00 PM12/19/03

Yo Sheidlower, you listening to this?

Dr Robin Bignall

Dec 19, 2003, 7:41:00 PM12/19/03

Fair enough, but they were not on *our* radio, as far as I can remember.
I first saw them at those threepenny picture shows on Saturday mornings.

Jesse Sheidlower

Dec 20, 2003, 9:01:44 PM12/20/03
In article <Pine.GSO.4.53.03...@alumni.wesleyan.edu>,

Yes. The two issues I see are, first, that it's very hard to
get OED-citable evidence from such shows (I note that all the
SNL quotes in the entries Ben cites are from secondary sources,
perhaps depending on your classification of the _Wayne's World_
script), and, second, that I don't think there is much need
for identifying what I consider to be only a moderate influence
on a word's use. I'd have to be really convinced that a term is
thoroughly associated with a particular show or movie to want to
say so in a note, or track down a bibliographically difficult
citation. A "Wayne's World" or _Wayne's World_ _not!_ would
fall into this category (despite its century-older use); the
"Nerd" sketch _not!_ would not, nor would a HD _cool_.

Jesse Sheidlower