Black Friday

Cheryl

Nov 22, 2012, 5:32:22 PM11/22/12
I was vaguely aware of the US "Black Friday" phenomenon - massive sales,
supposedly the first day in the year retailers turn a profit, etc.

This year, I was rather startled to find that Black Friday sales were
all over Canada. I even got an email from a music site I had thought was
in Northern Ireland advertising it. That was a false alarm, though,
since apparently the musicians have moved to the US and so are following
their customs.

My fellow locals seemed puzzled by the phenomenon, and I'd tended to
attribute it to those US companies which are either aggressively
expanding, or who can't be bothered to have different promotions in
Canada. But it seems it's a Canadian defence against cross-border
shopping (not really an issue in Newfoundland, whose nearest
international border is with St. Pierre et Miquelon, unless you count
Quebec).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/11/16/f-black-friday-retailers-canada.html?cmp=rss

http://tinyurl.com/akf9tse

Do other parts of the world have this style of massive sales , or even a
Black Friday to have them on?

I'll be staying well away from the stores this weekend.

--
Cheryl

Robin Bignall

Nov 22, 2012, 7:21:33 PM11/22/12
On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 19:02:22 -0330, Cheryl <cper...@mun.ca> wrote:

>Do other parts of the world have this style of massive sales , or even a
>Black Friday to have them on?

I've had some emails offering such sales. Play.com was one.
--
Robin Bignall
(BrE)

Peter Duncanson [BrE]

Nov 22, 2012, 7:32:07 PM11/22/12
On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 19:02:22 -0330, Cheryl <cper...@mun.ca> wrote:

I overheard a couple of people here in Northern Ireland talking about
some local shop that was holding a Black Friday sale. They were puzzled
by the use of "black". In the UK (and elsewhere) "black" is normally
attached to a day on which something went seriously wrong.

For instance:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Wednesday

In politics and economics, Black Wednesday refers to the events of
16 September 1992 when the British Conservative government was
forced to withdraw the pound sterling from the European Exchange
Rate Mechanism (ERM) after they were unable to keep it above its
agreed lower limit. George Soros, the most high profile of the
currency market investors, made over US$1 billion profit by short
selling sterling.

In 1997 the UK Treasury estimated the cost of Black Wednesday at
£3.4 billion, with the actual cost being £3.3 billion which was
revealed in 2005 under the Freedom of Information Act (FoI).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Monday_%281987%29

In finance, Black Monday refers to Monday October 19, 1987, when
stock markets around the world crashed, shedding a huge value in a
very short time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Tuesday_%28disambiguation%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_thursday

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Saturday

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sunday

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

tony cooper

Nov 22, 2012, 8:52:48 PM11/22/12
On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 19:02:22 -0330, Cheryl <cper...@mun.ca> wrote:

"Black Friday", in the US, follows Thanksgiving (Thursday). It's a
good day for sales because many people who work are off on both
Thursday and Friday. Except, of course, the people who have to work
because they are employed by stores having Black Friday sales.

It would lose something in a country that does not observe
Thanksgiving on Thursday because the Friday would be just another
Friday.

Neither my wife nor I will be shopping on Black Friday. There's
nothing we want that is worth fighting the crowds for no matter how
good a deal it is.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

MC

Nov 22, 2012, 9:17:53 PM11/22/12
In article <hflta85isvfsobkr6...@4ax.com>,
tony cooper <tony.co...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Neither my wife nor I will be shopping on Black Friday. There's
> nothing we want that is worth fighting the crowds for no matter how
> good a deal it is.

There are plenty of alternatives on line - same sales, same prices, no
crowds.

--

"If you can, tell me something happy."
- Marybones

BCD

Nov 22, 2012, 10:42:52 PM11/22/12
On 11/22/2012 4:32 PM, Peter Duncanson [BrE] wrote:

> I overheard a couple of people here in Northern Ireland talking about
> some local shop that was holding a Black Friday sale. They were puzzled
> by the use of "black". In the UK (and elsewhere) "black" is normally
> attached to a day on which something went seriously wrong.
> [...]

***The "black" in Black Friday indeed partakes of the "seriously wrong"
idea: Dealing with the throngs of frenzied shoppers is challenging and
unpleasant, to say the least, for shoppers and clerks alike. The
cheerful way in which retailers use the term in their advertisements is
charming in its utter perversity.

Best Wishes,

--BCD

Guy Barry

Nov 22, 2012, 11:05:59 PM11/22/12

"Cheryl" wrote in message news:ah7nfg...@mid.individual.net...

> I was vaguely aware of the US "Black Friday" phenomenon - massive sales,
> supposedly the first day in the year retailers turn a profit, etc.

Like Peter Duncanson, I initially assumed that this referred to some great
economic disaster, similar to Black Tuesday (the day of the Wall Street
Crash), Black Monday (the day in 1987 when stock markets plunged), or our
own local one, Black Wednesday (the day in 1992 when the pound sterling was
forced out of the European Exchange Rate Mechanism). But no - it apparently
originally referred to the traffic jams on that day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_%28shopping%29

' The day's name originated in Philadelphia, where it originally was used to
describe the heavy and disruptive pedestrian and vehicle traffic which would
occur on the day after Thanksgiving. Use of the term started before 1961
and began to see broader use outside Philadelphia around 1975. Later an
alternative explanation began to be offered: that "Black Friday" indicates
the point at which retailers begin to turn a profit, or are "in the black".
'

Apparently there were unsuccessful attempts to rename it to "Big Friday".

--
Guy Barry

Peter Brooks

Nov 22, 2012, 11:35:22 PM11/22/12
On Nov 23, 3:52 am, tony cooper <tony.cooper...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 19:02:22 -0330, Cheryl <cperk...@mun.ca> wrote:
>

> Neither my wife nor I will be shopping on Black Friday.  There's
> nothing we want that is worth fighting the crowds for no matter how
> good a deal it is.

Unless, I suppose, you like a free crowd fight.

Peter Brooks

Nov 22, 2012, 11:36:42 PM11/22/12
On Nov 23, 6:05 am, "Guy Barry" <guy.ba...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Apparently there were unsuccessful attempts to rename it to "Big Friday".

Just as well! If you had a big Friday, you'd, perforce, have either a
littler Thursday or a littler Saturday, and that wouldn't do.

Steve Hayes

Nov 22, 2012, 11:42:13 PM11/22/12
On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 00:32:07 +0000, "Peter Duncanson [BrE]"
<ma...@peterduncanson.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 19:02:22 -0330, Cheryl <cper...@mun.ca> wrote:
>
>>I was vaguely aware of the US "Black Friday" phenomenon - massive sales,
>>supposedly the first day in the year retailers turn a profit, etc.

It makes me think of 28 October 1929.

But on checking, I see that that was Black Monday.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

tony cooper

Nov 23, 2012, 12:02:26 AM11/23/12
On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 21:17:53 -0500, MC <cope...@mapca.inter.net>
wrote:

>In article <hflta85isvfsobkr6...@4ax.com>,
> tony cooper <tony.co...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Neither my wife nor I will be shopping on Black Friday. There's
>> nothing we want that is worth fighting the crowds for no matter how
>> good a deal it is.
>
>There are plenty of alternatives on line - same sales, same prices, no
>crowds.

I dunno about that. Electronics lead the way as (supposedly) the best
Black Friday buys. Flat-screen televisions at bargain prices are the
most heavily advertised. I wouldn't consider buying a large
flat-screen TV online and having it shipped to me.

The main appeal of the Black Friday sales for women (who will
constitute most of the crowds) are marked-down item on the racks at
department stores and kitchen items. Pawing through a rack of women's
wear looking for a bargain that fits is not something that can be done
online.

Toys are another big thing on Black Friday. They are often big and
bulky and shipping charges would eat up any savings.

Tablets, computers and monitors in various configurations, and cameras
are Black Friday items, and some of those can be purchased online.

sevi...@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2012, 1:10:37 AM11/23/12
Black Friday For a natonwide sale of this magnitude,the _name_ "Black Friday" strikes me as stupid and inappropriate. The thing that comes to mind when I hear Black Friday is the Black Death (bubonic plague) of the Middle Ages. In point of fact, Black Friday _is_ a sort of plague--a modern day American plague. ~Adam Breaux

Dr Nick

Nov 23, 2012, 2:35:08 AM11/23/12
Cheryl <cper...@mun.ca> writes:

> I was vaguely aware of the US "Black Friday" phenomenon - massive
> sales, supposedly the first day in the year retailers turn a profit,
> etc.

I only became aware of it a couple of years ago and - like many - found
the "black" most confusing.

> This year, I was rather startled to find that Black Friday sales were
> all over Canada. I even got an email from a music site I had thought
> was in Northern Ireland advertising it. That was a false alarm,
> though, since apparently the musicians have moved to the US and so are
> following their customs.
>
> My fellow locals seemed puzzled by the phenomenon, and I'd tended to
> attribute it to those US companies which are either aggressively
> expanding, or who can't be bothered to have different promotions in
> Canada. But it seems it's a Canadian defence against cross-border
> shopping (not really an issue in Newfoundland, whose nearest
> international border is with St. Pierre et Miquelon, unless you count
> Quebec).

One think I like about the US Thanksgiving it that it (along with
Halloween) keeps Christmas back to the winter.

Over here I've seen shops with Christmas trees in the winter when we are
still on British Summer Time.

> http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/11/16/f-black-friday-retailers-canada.html?cmp=rss
>
> http://tinyurl.com/akf9tse
>
> Do other parts of the world have this style of massive sales , or even
> a Black Friday to have them on?

We have the Boxing Day sales - the day after Christmas Day.

> I'll be staying well away from the stores this weekend.

Yes. However much you save, the cost:benefit ratio comes out on staying
at home.

Guy Barry

Nov 23, 2012, 3:33:08 AM11/23/12

"Dr Nick" wrote in message news:87d2z44...@temporary-address.org.uk...

> Cheryl <cper...@mun.ca> writes:

> > Do other parts of the world have this style of massive sales , or even
> > a Black Friday to have them on?

Not here. The Christmas shopping season starts in about August or September
and just builds up gradually. Leftpondians should be grateful that they
only get a month of it.

> We have the Boxing Day sales - the day after Christmas Day.

Indeed. The shops are closed for one day and then it starts all over again.
It's probably our nearest equivalent, although it clearly serves a different
purpose. (Although I have heard over people buying next year's Christmas
presents in the Boxing Day sales.)

--
Guy Barry

Peter Duncanson [BrE]

Nov 23, 2012, 4:52:59 AM11/23/12
The note given here is:
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/Black%2BFriday?q=black+friday

[originally with reference to the congestion of shoppers in
commercial districts; later explained as a day when retailers’
accounts went from being in the red to being in the black]

John Holmes

Nov 23, 2012, 5:08:34 AM11/23/12
annily wrote:
> On 23.11.12 09:02, Cheryl wrote:
>>
>> Do other parts of the world have this style of massive sales , or
>> even a Black Friday to have them on?
>>

> Not here in Australia, although the Black Friday sales are well known
> among Internet shoppers here.

Boxing Day sales here are something similar, I suppose. And of course the
name Black Friday could never be used here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(1939)

--
Regards
John

Cheryl

Nov 23, 2012, 5:18:02 AM11/23/12
On 23/11/2012 5:03 AM, Guy Barry wrote:

> "Dr Nick" wrote in message news:87d2z44...@temporary-address.org.uk...
>
>> Cheryl <cper...@mun.ca> writes:
>
>> > Do other parts of the world have this style of massive sales , or even
>> > a Black Friday to have them on?
>
> Not here. The Christmas shopping season starts in about August or
> September and just builds up gradually. Leftpondians should be grateful
> that they only get a month of it.

I wish.

Some of the stores started putting Christmas decorations out before
Hallowe'en.

>> We have the Boxing Day sales - the day after Christmas Day.
>
> Indeed. The shops are closed for one day and then it starts all over
> again. It's probably our nearest equivalent, although it clearly serves
> a different purpose. (Although I have heard over people buying next
> year's Christmas presents in the Boxing Day sales.)

Boxing Day is the traditional big sales day - or rather, the day after
Boxing Day in my province is the big sales day. Each province specifies
its own shops closing days (aside from one or two federal ones like July
1). Ours were cut back some years ago in the new Shops Closing Act or
whatever it was called, but Boxing Day survived and is still a public
holiday. Naturally, the sales flyers are printed regionally or even
nationally, calling the sales 'Boxing Day Sales'.

I am assured by some recent ads that today is supposed to be a Bigger
Sales Day than Boxing Day!!!! To get away with the lack of an actual
holiday this week, like the Americans have, the sales are running two or
three days.

--
Cheryl

Peter Duncanson [BrE]

Nov 23, 2012, 5:59:54 AM11/23/12
In the UK we have the New Year Sales, aka the January Sales. They have
traditionally started on the first shopping day of the New Year.
However, they have been creeping earlier and earlier each year.
Particularly online, the New Year/January Sales seem to start as soon as
Christmas and Boxing (St. Stephen's) Days are over.

Guy Barry

Nov 23, 2012, 6:23:32 AM11/23/12

"Peter Duncanson [BrE]" wrote in message

> On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 08:33:08 -0000, "Guy Barry"
> <guy....@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> >"Dr Nick" wrote in message

> >> We have the Boxing Day sales - the day after Christmas Day.
>
> >Indeed. The shops are closed for one day and then it starts all over
> >again.
> >It's probably our nearest equivalent, although it clearly serves a
> >different
> >purpose. (Although I have heard over people buying next year's Christmas
> >presents in the Boxing Day sales.)

> In the UK we have the New Year Sales, aka the January Sales.

I think you'll find that Dr Nick and I are in the same UK as you are. Maybe
the shopping stampede doesn't start quite as soon in Northern Ireland as
here over the water. Many shops here are open for the sales on the 26th of
December, though some may wait a day or two longer. Here's a newspaper
report on the Boxing Day sales, dated 27th December 2006:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/boxing-day-sales-soar-as-shoppers-flock-to-malls-429935.html

--
Guy Barry

Nick Spalding

Nov 23, 2012, 6:26:18 AM11/23/12
Cheryl wrote, in <ah7nfg...@mid.individual.net>
on Thu, 22 Nov 2012 19:02:22 -0330:
I have had a couple of spams here in Ireland from amazon.co.uk touting
Black Friday deals.
--
Nick Spalding
BrE/IrE

Peter Duncanson [BrE]

Nov 23, 2012, 7:30:05 AM11/23/12
On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:23:32 -0000, "Guy Barry"
<guy....@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>"Peter Duncanson [BrE]" wrote in message
>
>> On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 08:33:08 -0000, "Guy Barry"
>> <guy....@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> >"Dr Nick" wrote in message

>> >Indeed. The shops are closed for one day and then it starts all over
>> >again.
>> >It's probably our nearest equivalent, although it clearly serves a
>> >different
>> >purpose. (Although I have heard over people buying next year's Christmas
>> >presents in the Boxing Day sales.)
>
>> In the UK we have the New Year Sales, aka the January Sales.
>
>I think you'll find that Dr Nick and I are in the same UK as you are. Maybe
>the shopping stampede doesn't start quite as soon in Northern Ireland as
>here over the water. Many shops here are open for the sales on the 26th of
>December, though some may wait a day or two longer. Here's a newspaper
>report on the Boxing Day sales, dated 27th December 2006:
>
>http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/boxing-day-sales-soar-as-shoppers-flock-to-malls-429935.html

I don't dash off to the sales. I just see them in media reports so I
form impressions rather thancollecting facts from personal experience.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jerry Friedman

Nov 23, 2012, 10:13:05 AM11/23/12
Agreed. I can't help thinking of a student of mine a few years ago
who was working in a store and got a concussion when a man charged in
at the early opening time and knocked a display rack onto her. (He
did stop to help her rather than pursue his shopping.)

--
Jerry Friedman

Scion

Nov 23, 2012, 10:50:14 AM11/23/12
Peter Duncanson [BrE] spake thus:
Which makes sense, as many people have time off work between Christmas and
New Year but are back on the treadmill on January 2nd.
Message has been deleted

Guy Barry

Nov 23, 2012, 11:12:17 AM11/23/12

"Lewis" wrote in message news:slrnkav76m....@mbp55.local...

> In message <_wGrs.590281$Rc7.4...@fx04.am4>
> Guy Barry <guy....@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> > Not here. The Christmas shopping season starts in about August or
> > September
> > and just builds up gradually. Leftpondians should be grateful that they
> > only get a month of it.

> Ahahahahahahahahaha. A month? Ahahahahahahahahahahahaa. Christmas stuff
> starts coming out on July 4th weekend.

Seriously? I suppose it's just a matter of time before they start promoting
Christmas all year round.

> I was in a store the frist week
> of November that was playing a continuous loop of Christmas Musak.

Oh yeah, that's pretty much the case here as well.

> We have massive after-Christmas sales as well, we just don't call it
> Boxing Day.

You don't get a holiday on the day after Christmas Day, though, do you?
It's a public holiday here. Not only that, the three subsequent working
days between then and New Year are treated by many as unofficial holidays
(rather like your Black Friday), so that many people don't go back to work
until after New Year's Day. Some companies close down completely during
that period, or encourage staff to take their annual leave during that time.

I have *never* taken time off during that period - it's my favourite period
for working, because everything's so quiet.

--
Guy Barry

tony cooper

Nov 23, 2012, 11:54:45 AM11/23/12
On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 15:09:12 +0000 (UTC), Lewis
<g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

>In message <9a0ua81gmhkbdk204...@4ax.com>
> tony cooper <tony.co...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 21:17:53 -0500, MC <cope...@mapca.inter.net>
>> wrote:

>>>There are plenty of alternatives on line - same sales, same prices, no
>>>crowds.
>
>> I dunno about that. Electronics lead the way as (supposedly) the best
>> Black Friday buys. Flat-screen televisions at bargain prices are the
>> most heavily advertised. I wouldn't consider buying a large
>> flat-screen TV online and having it shipped to me.
>
>Why not? I bought of our falt screen TVs online.

That's you, not me. With an expensive electronic device, I want to
see it at the store, pick it up at the store, and be able to return
it to the store if there's a problem.

>> The main appeal of the Black Friday sales for women (who will
>> constitute most of the crowds) are marked-down item on the racks at
>> department stores and kitchen items. Pawing through a rack of women's
>> wear looking for a bargain that fits is not something that can be done
>> online.
>
>That's the old stereotype, but it just doesn't hold true anymore, if it
>ever did. Appliances and TVs and cheap-o computers are big-ticket items
>for Black Friday.

It holds true today. The mall, in which the stores primarily carry
soft goods, is jammed today. And, jammed with females. I can't
really imagine too many men who would brave the crowds to get a shirt
on sale. The men in the mall are there to carry packages.

Stores like Best Buy, Home Depot, and CompUSA have more male customers
than female customers, but it's a mix. The purchase of an appliance
is usually a joint decision; she to decided what features they want,
and he to agree to pay the amount required and check measurements to
see if it fits. With TVs, it's the male that drives the feature/size
aspect.

>My wife drug me to Target last night when they opened at 9pm because she
>wanted some Christmas lights that weren't even on sale. In her defense,
>she'd wanted them last year, but by the time she went in on Saturday
>after Black Friday they were all gone. We were only in the store about
>half an hour, but I saw easily 100 shopping carts with 32", 40", or 50"
>flat screens crammed in them. I saw several carts with 2 50" TVs.

Well, see, others feel as I do about buying TVs in-store.

tony cooper

Nov 23, 2012, 12:05:42 PM11/23/12
On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 16:12:17 -0000, "Guy Barry"
<guy....@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>"Lewis" wrote in message news:slrnkav76m....@mbp55.local...
>
>> In message <_wGrs.590281$Rc7.4...@fx04.am4>
>> Guy Barry <guy....@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> > Not here. The Christmas shopping season starts in about August or
>> > September
>> > and just builds up gradually. Leftpondians should be grateful that they
>> > only get a month of it.
>
>> Ahahahahahahahahaha. A month? Ahahahahahahahahahahahaa. Christmas stuff
>> starts coming out on July 4th weekend.
>
>Seriously? I suppose it's just a matter of time before they start promoting
>Christmas all year round.
>
>> I was in a store the frist week
>> of November that was playing a continuous loop of Christmas Musak.
>
>Oh yeah, that's pretty much the case here as well.
>
>> We have massive after-Christmas sales as well, we just don't call it
>> Boxing Day.
>
>You don't get a holiday on the day after Christmas Day, though, do you?

There's no recognized holiday the day after Christmas, but - except
for retail - many places are closed if Christmas falls on a Thursday.

Christmas will be on Tuesday this year, so fewer businesses will be
closed the day after Christmas.

Guy Barry

Nov 23, 2012, 12:41:46 PM11/23/12

"tony cooper" wrote in message

> There's no recognized holiday the day after Christmas, but - except
> for retail - many places are closed if Christmas falls on a Thursday.

> Christmas will be on Tuesday this year, so fewer businesses will be
> closed the day after Christmas.

The way it seems to work here is this:

If Christmas Day falls on a Monday, Boxing Day falls on a Tuesday, so you
get a four-day weekend.

If Christmas Day falls on a Tuesday, Boxing Day falls on a Wednesday.
Christmas Eve isn't an official holiday, but many people will take that day
off, getting a five-day weekend.

If Christmas Day falls on a Wednesday, Boxing Day falls on a Thursday. Many
people will take the Friday off, getting a five-day weekend.

If Christmas Day falls on a Thursday, Boxing Day falls on a Friday, so you
get a four-day weekend.

If Christmas Day falls on a Friday, the Boxing Day holiday is moved from
Saturday to Monday, so you get a four-day weekend.

If Christmas Day falls on a Saturday, Boxing Day falls on a Sunday and you
get two days off to compensate (Monday and Tuesday), so you get a four-day
weekend.

If Christmas Day falls on a Sunday, Boxing Day falls on a Monday and you get
an extra day off on the Tuesday, so you get a four-day weekend.

Basically whatever happens you get a long weekend, often followed by another
long weekend at New Year (depending on when it falls), so many people will
take the time off in between, and Christmas ends up lasting about a week and
a half. At least.

--
Guy Barry

Guy Barry

Nov 23, 2012, 12:47:18 PM11/23/12

"Guy Barry" wrote in message news:kzOrs.333771$Wc4.2...@fx10.am4...

> Basically whatever happens you get a long weekend, often followed by
> another long weekend at New Year (depending on when it falls), so many
> people will take the time off in between, and Christmas ends up lasting
> about a week and a half. At least.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Scotland gets *two* days off at New Year.
Lucky bastards.

--
Guy Barry

MC

Nov 23, 2012, 1:58:57 PM11/23/12
In article <wEOrs.378343$lz1....@fx28.am4>,
Yes, but they get themselves so hammered on hogmanay they can only
remember one of them.

--

"If you can, tell me something happy."
- Marybones
Message has been deleted

Garrett Wollman

Nov 23, 2012, 5:49:19 PM11/23/12
In article <wEOrs.378343$lz1....@fx28.am4>,
Guy Barry <guy....@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Oh, I forgot to mention that Scotland gets *two* days off at New Year.
>Lucky bastards.

What, they need the extra time to sober up?

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman | What intellectual phenomenon can be older, or more oft
wol...@bimajority.org| repeated, than the story of a large research program

Mike L

Nov 23, 2012, 5:55:04 PM11/23/12
These are among the occasions on which H.self-styled sapiens really
hacks me off. A big and faithful cheap department store round here
closed down last year, and I joined the happy throng during the last
week. In the clothing department, people were taking things off the
racks, deciding against, and just dropping them on the floor. I
tut-tutted to the nearest person who wasn't doing it, and he just
said, "Well, they're closing down, aren't they?" I didn't bother to
ask him who was going to have to pick everything up, but sloped off.

--
Mike.

Mike L

Nov 23, 2012, 6:00:34 PM11/23/12
On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 14:52:11 +0000 (UTC), Lewis
<g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

>In message <lfgta8t26qsd7ccvf...@4ax.com>
> Peter Duncanson [BrE] <ma...@peterduncanson.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 19:02:22 -0330, Cheryl <cper...@mun.ca> wrote:
>
>>>I was vaguely aware of the US "Black Friday" phenomenon - massive sales,
>>>supposedly the first day in the year retailers turn a profit, etc.
>>>
>>>This year, I was rather startled to find that Black Friday sales were
>>>all over Canada. I even got an email from a music site I had thought was
>>>in Northern Ireland advertising it. That was a false alarm, though,
>>>since apparently the musicians have moved to the US and so are following
>>>their customs.
>>>
>>>My fellow locals seemed puzzled by the phenomenon, and I'd tended to
>>>attribute it to those US companies which are either aggressively
>>>expanding, or who can't be bothered to have different promotions in
>>>Canada. But it seems it's a Canadian defence against cross-border
>>>shopping (not really an issue in Newfoundland, whose nearest
>>>international border is with St. Pierre et Miquelon, unless you count
>>>Quebec).
>>>
>>>http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/11/16/f-black-friday-retailers-canada.html?cmp=rss
>>>
>>>http://tinyurl.com/akf9tse
>>>
>>>Do other parts of the world have this style of massive sales , or even a
>>>Black Friday to have them on?
>>>
>>>I'll be staying well away from the stores this weekend.
>
>> I overheard a couple of people here in Northern Ireland talking about
>> some local shop that was holding a Black Friday sale. They were puzzled
>> by the use of "black". In the UK (and elsewhere) "black" is normally
>> attached to a day on which something went seriously wrong.
>
>Same in the US.
>
>The exception is Black Friday which is so-called because it is the day
>that, supposedly, retail businesses start to make all their profits
>(move into the black on their ledger books) for the year in the run-up
>to Christmas.
>
>I know it's been creeping out of the US into Canada, but I am surprised
>to see it crossing the pond. Apple does have a Black Friday sale that
>applies to all their stores, both online and Brick and Mortar.

It makes me want to stay away. It's just vulgar to talk to the
customers about the bank balance - like the comedians who think it's
funny to tell the audience that the BBC doesn't pay them enough.

--
Mike.

Robert Bannister

Nov 23, 2012, 6:16:04 PM11/23/12
Maybe my memory is playing tricks again, but weren't the sales
originally on New Year's Day? I know they've been on Boxing Day for a
long time now, but I'm sure I remember a time when that was quiet
holiday. Is New Year's Day a holiday in Britain now? It would make sense
since so many people took the day off anyway or turned up for work in a
state where not much was going to get done.

--
Robert Bannister

Robert Bannister

Nov 23, 2012, 6:19:23 PM11/23/12
On 24/11/12 12:12 AM, Guy Barry wrote:

> "Lewis" wrote in message news:slrnkav76m....@mbp55.local...
>
>> In message <_wGrs.590281$Rc7.4...@fx04.am4>
>> Guy Barry <guy....@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> > Not here. The Christmas shopping season starts in about August or >
>> September
>> > and just builds up gradually. Leftpondians should be grateful that
>> they
>> > only get a month of it.
>
>> Ahahahahahahahahaha. A month? Ahahahahahahahahahahahaa. Christmas stuff
>> starts coming out on July 4th weekend.
>
> Seriously? I suppose it's just a matter of time before they start
> promoting Christmas all year round.

I know they stock some Easter eggs all the year round, but not on the
same scale. You can't let Christmas eat into the Easter chocolate
pig-out. I expect to see hot cross buns about February when they've sold
all the mince pies and Xmas cakes.

--
Robert Bannister

Robert Bannister

Nov 23, 2012, 6:23:39 PM11/23/12
And round here, many businesses including the @$%^Post Office close from
the 25th December to the 2nd January inclusive - longer if one of those
days is on a Sunday. Trademen are, of course, totally inaccessible from
about now until Christmas because they want to get all their jobs
finished before the holiday when they take a four week break. Many small
shops also close from Christmas till New Year. The whole thing should be
renamed Saturnalia.

--
Robert Bannister

Cheryl

Nov 23, 2012, 6:24:12 PM11/23/12
On 23/11/2012 5:07 PM, Lewis wrote:
> In message <rfNrs.469071$Bz2.3...@fx11.am4>
> Guy Barry <guy....@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> "Lewis" wrote in message news:slrnkav76m....@mbp55.local...

>>> Ahahahahahahahahaha. A month? Ahahahahahahahahahahahaa. Christmas stuff
>>> starts coming out on July 4th weekend.
>
>> Seriously? I suppose it's just a matter of time before they start promoting
>> Christmas all year round.
>
>>> I was in a store the frist week
>>> of November that was playing a continuous loop of Christmas Musak.
>
>> Oh yeah, that's pretty much the case here as well.
>
>>> We have massive after-Christmas sales as well, we just don't call it
>>> Boxing Day.
>
>> You don't get a holiday on the day after Christmas Day, though, do you?
>
> Not officially. A lot of people are off, and of course school kids are
> out. Quite a lot of smaller (non retail) businesses shut down for the
> week between Christmas and New Year's Day. It's also the end of the NFL
> season and the run up to the end of the College Football season, so
> there's quite a lot going on that week, not to mention the many holiday
> and end-of-year parties. People who do work that week tend to have
> trouble getting much done if their work depends on other people. I don't
> know if it's still true, but criminal courts used to be closed that
> week. I'd think they still would be as it would be nearly impossible to
> get a jury.
>
>> It's a public holiday here. Not only that, the three subsequent
>> working days between then and New Year are treated by many as
>> unofficial holidays (rather like your Black Friday), so that many
>> people don't go back to work until after New Year's Day. Some
>> companies close down completely during that period, or encourage staff
>> to take their annual leave during that time.
>
> Yes, that's pretty common here, but not universal, of course.
>
>> I have *never* taken time off during that period - it's my favourite period
>> for working, because everything's so quiet.
>
> The computer company I worked for in the late 80's was shuttered during
> that week, so working was not an option.

It's much the same here.

We're one of the few (maybe only) place in Canada to have Boxing Day as
a public holiday, and it can be pretty difficult to get things done
between Christmas and New Years. My employer positively encourages
people who aren't engaged in essential work to take time off, it being a
low point in busy-ness anyway. What with the public holidays and the
extra employee holidays, most people in my section need to take only one
annual leave day to have the whole stretch off from Christmas to New
Year's - in other words, we'd be working only one day anyway.

If you want to deal with some place that isn't a retail store during
that period, it's a good idea to phone first to find out if they're
open. Even medical clinics work fewer days - as I discovered last
Christmas week when I tried to make an appointment for a relative - and
the hospitals only do emergency operations.

On the other hand, I once managed to get a plumber in during the late
afternoon of Christmas Eve, which is when most people are skiving off
early to shop or run errands, so not every business shuts down early in
the season and opens late.

--
Cheryl

Cheryl

Nov 23, 2012, 6:49:00 PM11/23/12
This was the first year I saw Cadbury's Halloween Easter Eggs 'Screme
eggs'. They looked exactly like the Easter Easter eggs except for the
packaging so I bought some for my mother who really likes the Easter
eggs. She said that they had some rather off-putting green filling.

The consumption of hot cross buns is already expanding outside the
traditional period, but you don't have to wait for that if you live in a
part of Toronto with a lot of Jamaican immigrants. There's a kind of
Jamaican sweet bun that's essentially a hot cross bun without the cross,
which is readily available in such areas.

--
Cheryl

Guy Barry

Nov 23, 2012, 10:45:01 PM11/23/12

"Lewis" wrote in message news:slrnkavnku....@mbp55.local...

> In message <rfNrs.469071$Bz2.3...@fx11.am4>
> Guy Barry <guy....@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

[between Christmas and New Year]
> > I have *never* taken time off during that period - it's my favourite
> > period
> > for working, because everything's so quiet.

> The computer company I worked for in the late 80's was shuttered during
> that week, so working was not an option.

I suppose I've mostly worked in jobs with some sort of customer service
element, so closing down wasn't an option. (Except last year when I worked
at a university.) My favourite was when I worked for a 24-hour taxi company
and worked on Christmas Day itself - it was fairly quiet, everyone was in a
good mood and I got double pay for it. (Also for working the night of New
Year's Eve, which was absolutely hectic!)

--
Guy Barry

Guy Barry

Nov 23, 2012, 11:04:49 PM11/23/12

"Garrett Wollman" wrote in message

> In article <wEOrs.378343$lz1....@fx28.am4>,
> Guy Barry <guy....@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> >Oh, I forgot to mention that Scotland gets *two* days off at New Year.
> >Lucky bastards.

> What, they need the extra time to sober up?

Yes, pretty much. I once walked though the centre of Edinburgh on New
Year's Day, and it was as close to the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust as I
can imagine - not a single human being to be seen. I believe that Scotland
is one of only two countries in the world that gets two days' holiday at New
Year (the other being Fiji, possibly?)

--
Guy Barry

Guy Barry

Nov 23, 2012, 11:12:59 PM11/23/12

"Robert Bannister" wrote in message

> Is New Year's Day a holiday in Britain now?

You have been away a long time, haven't you? New Year's Day has been a
holiday in England, Wales and Northern Ireland since 1974, and in Scotland
apparently since 1871 (they've had 2nd January off as well since 1973):

http://www.bis.gov.uk/policies/employment-matters/rights/bank-holidays

--
Guy Barry

Guy Barry

Nov 23, 2012, 11:21:55 PM11/23/12

"Cheryl" wrote in message news:ahagb4...@mid.individual.net...

> This was the first year I saw Cadbury's Halloween Easter Eggs 'Screme
> eggs'.

How can they be Halloween Easter eggs? I know what you mean, but...

> The consumption of hot cross buns is already expanding outside the
> traditional period, but you don't have to wait for that if you live in a
> part of Toronto with a lot of Jamaican immigrants. There's a kind of
> Jamaican sweet bun that's essentially a hot cross bun without the cross,
> which is readily available in such areas.

Another linguistic conundrum: what are hot cross buns called before they're
hot? They ought to be sold as "cross buns", but the term doesn't seem to
exist.

--
Guy Barry

Steve Hayes

Nov 24, 2012, 12:17:06 AM11/24/12
On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 04:04:49 -0000, "Guy Barry" <guy....@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

Natal used to have 2 Dec as a public holiday, but not a bank holiday, nor one
for civil servants. So banks and post offices were open, governed by national
rules, but most shops were shut.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Peter Brooks

Nov 24, 2012, 1:47:21 AM11/24/12
On Nov 24, 6:04 am, "Guy Barry" <guy.ba...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> "Garrett Wollman"  wrote in message

> > In article <wEOrs.378343$lz1.10...@fx28.am4>,
> > Guy Barry <guy.ba...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > >Oh, I forgot to mention that Scotland gets *two* days off at New Year.
> > >Lucky bastards.
> > What, they need the extra time to sober up?
>
> Yes, pretty much.  I once walked though the centre of Edinburgh on New
> Year's Day, and it was as close to the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust as I
> can imagine - not a single human being to be seen.  I believe that Scotland
> is one of only two countries in the world that gets two days' holiday at New
> Year (the other being Fiji, possibly?)

Cape Town has New Year and Tweede Nuwe Jaar, a second New Year with a
huge carnival in Adderley Street.

http://www.capetown-minstrels.co.za/?p=97

Guy Barry

Nov 24, 2012, 3:02:57 AM11/24/12

"Steve Hayes" wrote in message

> On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 04:04:49 -0000, "Guy Barry"
> <guy....@blueyonder.co.uk>
> wrote:

> >Yes, pretty much. I once walked though the centre of Edinburgh on New
> >Year's Day, and it was as close to the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust
> >as I
> >can imagine - not a single human being to be seen. I believe that
> >Scotland
> >is one of only two countries in the world that gets two days' holiday at
> >New
> >Year (the other being Fiji, possibly?)

A quick Google search suggests that the 2nd of January is a holiday in New
Zealand.

> Natal used to have 2 Dec as a public holiday, but not a bank holiday, nor
> one
> for civil servants. So banks and post offices were open, governed by
> national
> rules, but most shops were shut.

Do you mean 2 Dec or 2 Jan here?

--
Guy Barry

Steve Hayes

Nov 24, 2012, 5:41:52 AM11/24/12
On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 08:02:57 -0000, "Guy Barry" <guy....@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

>"Steve Hayes" wrote in message
>
>> On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 04:04:49 -0000, "Guy Barry"
>> <guy....@blueyonder.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>
>> >Yes, pretty much. I once walked though the centre of Edinburgh on New
>> >Year's Day, and it was as close to the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust
>> >as I
>> >can imagine - not a single human being to be seen. I believe that
>> >Scotland
>> >is one of only two countries in the world that gets two days' holiday at
>> >New
>> >Year (the other being Fiji, possibly?)
>
>A quick Google search suggests that the 2nd of January is a holiday in New
>Zealand.
>
>> Natal used to have 2 Dec as a public holiday, but not a bank holiday, nor
>> one
>> for civil servants. So banks and post offices were open, governed by
>> national
>> rules, but most shops were shut.
>
>Do you mean 2 Dec or 2 Jan here?

2 Jan, bad typo.

J. J. Lodder J. J. Lodder

Nov 24, 2012, 5:47:10 AM11/24/12
Cheryl <cper...@mun.ca> wrote:

> I was vaguely aware of the US "Black Friday" phenomenon - massive sales,
> supposedly the first day in the year retailers turn a profit, etc.

Still unknown in Europe. [1]
However, Apple is exporting it worldwide.

See the Apple Store for special offers,

Jan

[1]
'Zwarte Vrijdag' refers to either a tranlated thriller by Alex Kava,
or to Friday August 18, 1944, when the USAF
tried to destroy the bridges at Maastricht,
not hitting any, while making hundreds of casualties
in the civilian quarters on both sides.
It's a local remembrance day.

Cheryl

Nov 24, 2012, 7:35:36 AM11/24/12
On 24/11/2012 12:51 AM, Guy Barry wrote:

> "Cheryl" wrote in message news:ahagb4...@mid.individual.net...
>
>> This was the first year I saw Cadbury's Halloween Easter Eggs 'Screme
>> eggs'.
>
> How can they be Halloween Easter eggs? I know what you mean, but...

I don't know what else to call them. Halloween eggs don't exist, or so I
thought, and I don't see why I should change my mind because someone
decided to sell their candy in the form of eggs instead of pumpkins or
ghosts. They're chocolate-covered eggs, superficially identical to
Easter eggs.

>> The consumption of hot cross buns is already expanding outside the
>> traditional period, but you don't have to wait for that if you live in
>> a part of Toronto with a lot of Jamaican immigrants. There's a kind of
>> Jamaican sweet bun that's essentially a hot cross bun without the
>> cross, which is readily available in such areas.
>
> Another linguistic conundrum: what are hot cross buns called before
> they're hot? They ought to be sold as "cross buns", but the term
> doesn't seem to exist.

Influence from the nursery rhyme?

--
Cheryl

Dr Nick

Nov 24, 2012, 7:41:04 AM11/24/12
"Guy Barry" <guy....@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> "Lewis" wrote in message news:slrnkav76m....@mbp55.local...
>
>> In message <_wGrs.590281$Rc7.4...@fx04.am4> Guy Barry
>> <guy....@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> > Not here. The Christmas shopping season starts in about August or
>> > grateful that they only get a month of it.
>
>> Ahahahahahahahahaha. A month? Ahahahahahahahahahahahaa. Christmas
>> stuff starts coming out on July 4th weekend.
>
> Seriously? I suppose it's just a matter of time before they start
> promoting Christmas all year round.

What's really strange is the way the supermarkets start putting
Christmas branded goods out with "use by" dates well before 25 December.

> I have *never* taken time off during that period - it's my favourite
> period for working, because everything's so quiet.

I take it off now I have children with school holidays, but agree it's a
wonderful time for getting done those important but not pressing jobs
that require a period of prolonged concentration.

Mark Brader

Nov 24, 2012, 12:11:50 PM11/24/12
Guy Barry:
> The way it seems to work here is this:
>
> If Christmas Day falls on a Monday, Boxing Day falls on a Tuesday, so you
> get a four-day weekend.
>
> If Christmas Day falls on a Tuesday, Boxing Day falls on a Wednesday.
> Christmas Eve isn't an official holiday, but many people will take that day
> off, getting a five-day weekend.
>
> If Christmas Day falls on a Wednesday, Boxing Day falls on a Thursday. Many
> people will take the Friday off, getting a five-day weekend.
>
> If Christmas Day falls on a Thursday, Boxing Day falls on a Friday, so you
> get a four-day weekend.
>
> If Christmas Day falls on a Friday, the Boxing Day holiday is moved from
> Saturday to Monday, so you get a four-day weekend.
>
> If Christmas Day falls on a Saturday, Boxing Day falls on a Sunday and you
> get two days off to compensate (Monday and Tuesday), so you get a four-day
> weekend.
>
> If Christmas Day falls on a Sunday, Boxing Day falls on a Monday and you get
> an extra day off on the Tuesday, so you get a four-day weekend.
>
> Basically whatever happens you get a long weekend, often followed by another
> long weekend at New Year (depending on when it falls), so many people will
> take the time off in between, and Christmas ends up lasting about a week and
> a half. At least.

Likewise here. Also, schools will be closed between Christmas and
New Year's.

Also, employers often close early on Christmas Eve. So do stores, after
being open for longer-than-normal hours for the preceding week or more.

Employers also often close early on New Year's Eve. So some people can
get both Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve as days off by using a single
vacation day.
--
Mark Brader "Well, I didn't completely test it, and
Toronto of course there was a power failure the

Mark Brader

Nov 24, 2012, 12:14:34 PM11/24/12
Guy Barry:
> > Seriously? I suppose it's just a matter of time before they start
> > promoting Christmas all year round.

Nick Atty:
> What's really strange is the way the supermarkets start putting
> Christmas branded goods out with "use by" dates well before 25 December.

Well, I don't normally go to Christmas parties, but from what I've seen
they seem to start happening around the first week of December. Maybe
that's what those goods are for.
--
Mark Brader | "It can be amusing, even if painful, to watch the
Toronto | ethnocentrism of those who are convinced their

Mike L

Nov 24, 2012, 4:43:32 PM11/24/12
On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:05:36 -0330, Cheryl <cper...@mun.ca> wrote:

>On 24/11/2012 12:51 AM, Guy Barry wrote:
>>

>> "Cheryl" wrote in message news:ahagb4...@mid.individual.net...
>>
>>> This was the first year I saw Cadbury's Halloween Easter Eggs 'Screme
>>> eggs'.
>>
>> How can they be Halloween Easter eggs? I know what you mean, but...
>
>I don't know what else to call them. Halloween eggs don't exist, or so I
>thought, and I don't see why I should change my mind because someone
>decided to sell their candy in the form of eggs instead of pumpkins or
>ghosts. They're chocolate-covered eggs, superficially identical to
>Easter eggs.

It's only the "Creme eggs" which are available all the year round in
the UK: you only get full-sized hollow Easter eggs at approximately
the appropriate time. At Christmas there are equally rip-off hollow
choc Santas and reindeer, made in the same way.

>>> The consumption of hot cross buns is already expanding outside the
>>> traditional period, but you don't have to wait for that if you live in
>>> a part of Toronto with a lot of Jamaican immigrants. There's a kind of
>>> Jamaican sweet bun that's essentially a hot cross bun without the
>>> cross, which is readily available in such areas.
>>
>> Another linguistic conundrum: what are hot cross buns called before
>> they're hot? They ought to be sold as "cross buns", but the term
>> doesn't seem to exist.
>>

>Influence from the nursery rhyme?

Yes, I think so. "Cross bun" is found in older literature, and the
"hot" would have been part of the street vendor's cry. They weren't
restricted to Easter, either: John Clare has mention of them being
given to children as rewards at harvest-time. (I sent that info to OED
several years ago, and received kind letters; but they haven't yet
revised the entry and expanded the definition < A bun indented with a
cross, commonly eaten on Good Friday.>)

--
Mike.
Message has been deleted

Robert Bannister

Nov 24, 2012, 6:01:20 PM11/24/12
On 25/11/12 1:11 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> Likewise here. Also, schools will be closed between Christmas and
> New Year's.

Hah. We keep them at home until the end of January and then send them
back to school just as it's getting really hot. First day back at school
is almost guaranteed to see a heat wave.
--
Robert Bannister

Robert Bannister

Nov 24, 2012, 6:06:54 PM11/24/12
See. They waited till I left in September 1971.
I knew Scotland was different, but we thought they were probably pagans
who didn't celebrate Father Christmas - Hogmanay does sound sort of
Terry Pratchett.

--
Robert Bannister

Nasti J

Nov 24, 2012, 8:50:25 PM11/24/12
On Nov 23, 4:19 pm, Robert Bannister <rob...@clubtelco.com> wrote:

> I know they stock some Easter eggs all the year round, but not on the
> same scale. You can't let Christmas eat into the Easter chocolate
> pig-out. I expect to see hot cross buns about February when they've sold
> all the mince pies and Xmas cakes.

Last year, my local (Phoenix, Arizona) grocery had Cadbury cream-
filled eggs prominently displayed thru the Thanksgiving-Xmas holiday
period. This year, there have already been "Screme Eggs" for
Hallowe'en and I'm sure they will be pushing the Holiday Eggs I've
seen on-line.

Guy Barry

Nov 25, 2012, 12:26:34 AM11/25/12

"Mike L" wrote in message

> It's only the "Creme eggs" which are available all the year round in
> the UK:

Are they available all year round now? That must be a very recent thing; I
sold them until 2007, and we only had deliveries between Christmas and
Easter. Cadbury's did try bringing out a Dairy Milk bar with a Creme Egg
filling to satisfy the craving at other times of year, but I'm not sure
whether it lasted.

--
Guy Barry

Guy Barry

Nov 25, 2012, 12:51:47 AM11/25/12

> On 24/11/12 12:12 PM, Guy Barry wrote:

> > You have been away a long time, haven't you? New Year's Day has been a
> > holiday in England, Wales and Northern Ireland since 1974, and in
> > Scotland apparently since 1871 (they've had 2nd January off as well
> > since 1973):
>
> > http://www.bis.gov.uk/policies/employment-matters/rights/bank-holidays
>

> See. They waited till I left in September 1971.

Are there still any countries using the Gregorian calendar that don't
celebrate New Year's Day as a holiday?

> I knew Scotland was different, but we thought they were probably pagans
> who didn't celebrate Father Christmas - Hogmanay does sound sort of Terry
> Pratchett.

Christmas was traditionally never such a big thing in Scotland - they only
got one day off instead of two. When New Year's Day became a holiday south
of the border, Scotland was given Boxing Day as well, in order to even
things up.

--
Guy Barry

Peter Young

Nov 25, 2012, 3:22:59 AM11/25/12
On 25 Nov 2012 "Guy Barry" <guy....@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> "Robert Bannister" wrote in message

>> On 24/11/12 12:12 PM, Guy Barry wrote:

>>> You have been away a long time, haven't you? New Year's Day has been a
>>> holiday in England, Wales and Northern Ireland since 1974, and in
>>> Scotland apparently since 1871 (they've had 2nd January off as well
>>> since 1973):
>>
>>> http://www.bis.gov.uk/policies/employment-matters/rights/bank-holidays
>>

>> See. They waited till I left in September 1971.

> Are there still any countries using the Gregorian calendar that don't
> celebrate New Year's Day as a holiday?

A remnant of the Julian calendar seems to make the Eastern Orthodox
Church celebrate Christmas on 7 January. And in Ethiopia, where the
Church is an Orthodox splinter group, they have their own calendar,
seven years out of step with ours, and New Year is in the second week
of our September, when the rains stop. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_calendar

Peter.

(US equivalent: Certified Anesthesiologist)
http://pnyoung.orpheusweb.co.uk

Guy Barry

Nov 25, 2012, 4:00:15 AM11/25/12

"Peter Young" wrote in message

> On 25 Nov 2012 "Guy Barry" <guy....@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> > Are there still any countries using the Gregorian calendar that don't
> > celebrate New Year's Day as a holiday?

> A remnant of the Julian calendar seems to make the Eastern Orthodox
> Church celebrate Christmas on 7 January. And in Ethiopia, where the
> Church is an Orthodox splinter group, they have their own calendar,
> seven years out of step with ours, and New Year is in the second week
> of our September, when the rains stop. See
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_calendar

All very interesting, but not relevant to the question. Is there any
country using the Gregorian calendar - as opposed to the Julian or Ethiopian
calendar - where a holiday is not observed on 1 January?

--
Guy Barry

Guy Barry

Nov 25, 2012, 4:11:35 AM11/25/12

"Guy Barry" wrote in message news:z6lss.343557$YJ1....@fx09.am4...

> All very interesting, but not relevant to the question. Is there any
> country using the Gregorian calendar - as opposed to the Julian or
> Ethiopian calendar - where a holiday is not observed on 1 January?

According to this site, the only exception is Israel. (Apparently both the
Gregorian and Hebrew calendars are in official use there.)

http://www.officeholidays.com/countries/global/new_years_day.asp

--
Guy Barry

Peter Duncanson [BrE]

Nov 25, 2012, 7:22:54 AM11/25/12
Here in Northern Ireland there are a few Christians who do not celebrate
Christmas. They live austere Christian lives. From their point of view
the hybrid religious-secular celebrations are frivolous and therefore
unChristian. However, their main point is that Christmas is derived from
a Catholic rite, "Christ's Mass", and that they reject the Mass in all
forms.

I'm sure there must be Christians in the US who take a similar position.

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

Cheryl

Nov 25, 2012, 8:01:21 AM11/25/12
I didn't realize that some of them considered it to be an evil Catholic
holiday (or Catholic evil holiday), although there are some extreme
Protestants who have very odd ideas about Roman Catholicism. certainly
some Christians consider the commercial and, well, greedy aspect of the
holidays to be rather, ummm, unfounded in the Christian religion.

Of course, there are also agnostics and atheists of the simple living
and anti-consumerist type who hold very similar ideas, minus the
religious reasons for them.

--
Cheryl

Steve Hayes

Nov 25, 2012, 8:14:20 AM11/25/12
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 08:22:59 GMT, Peter Young <pny...@ormail.co.uk> wrote:

>A remnant of the Julian calendar seems to make the Eastern Orthodox
>Church celebrate Christmas on 7 January. And in Ethiopia, where the
>Church is an Orthodox splinter group, they have their own calendar,
>seven years out of step with ours, and New Year is in the second week
>of our September, when the rains stop. See
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_calendar

Some Orthodox Churches use the Julian calendar for Christmans (we were at one
this morning), all use it for Easter. The ecclesiastical New Year falls on
1/14 September, depending on which calendar is in use.

Steve Hayes

Nov 25, 2012, 8:18:31 AM11/25/12
In the US the Catholic holiday that Protestants snipe at is mostly Halloween
rather than Christmas.

At least that's the impression I get from reading stuff on the Internet.

Cheryl

Nov 25, 2012, 9:16:40 AM11/25/12
On 25/11/2012 9:48 AM, Steve Hayes wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 09:31:21 -0330, Cheryl <cper...@mun.ca> wrote:
>
>> On 25/11/2012 8:52 AM, Peter Duncanson [BrE] wrote:
>>> Here in Northern Ireland there are a few Christians who do not celebrate
>>> Christmas. They live austere Christian lives. From their point of view
>>> the hybrid religious-secular celebrations are frivolous and therefore
>>> unChristian. However, their main point is that Christmas is derived from
>>> a Catholic rite, "Christ's Mass", and that they reject the Mass in all
>>> forms.
>>>
>>> I'm sure there must be Christians in the US who take a similar position.
>>>
>> I didn't realize that some of them considered it to be an evil Catholic
>> holiday (or Catholic evil holiday), although there are some extreme
>> Protestants who have very odd ideas about Roman Catholicism. certainly
>> some Christians consider the commercial and, well, greedy aspect of the
>> holidays to be rather, ummm, unfounded in the Christian religion.
>
> In the US the Catholic holiday that Protestants snipe at is mostly Halloween
> rather than Christmas.
>
> At least that's the impression I get from reading stuff on the Internet.

I get the impression that that's common, but 'Put Christ back in
Christmas' and similar campaigns are as, or even more, common. Any
Americans have an opinion?

--
Cheryl

Guy Barry

Nov 25, 2012, 9:25:36 AM11/25/12

> Some Orthodox Churches use the Julian calendar for Christmans (we were at
> one
> this morning), all use it for Easter.

How does that work, then? I'd have thought that the dates of all festivals
would have to be decided according to the same calendar. If you're with a
church that uses the Julian calendar for Easter but celebrates Christmas on
the Gregorian 25 December, aren't they actually celebrating it on 12
December by their calculations?

--
Guy Barry

Guy Barry

Nov 25, 2012, 9:28:22 AM11/25/12

> In the US the Catholic holiday that Protestants snipe at is mostly
> Halloween
> rather than Christmas.

Well All Saints' Day (1 November) might be seen as Catholic, but I'd have
thought that Halloween was entirely secular. The only allusion to the
Catholic festival is in the name.

--
Guy Barry

the Omrud

Nov 25, 2012, 9:40:06 AM11/25/12

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Nov 25, 2012, 9:43:10 AM11/25/12
On 2012-11-22 22:02:22 +0000, Cheryl said:

> I was vaguely aware of the US "Black Friday" phenomenon - massive
> sales, supposedly the first day in the year retailers turn a profit,
> etc.
>
> This year, I was rather startled to find that Black Friday sales were
> all over Canada. I even got an email from a music site I had thought
> was in Northern Ireland advertising it. That was a false alarm, though,
> since apparently the musicians have moved to the US and so are
> following their customs.
>
> My fellow locals seemed puzzled by the phenomenon, and I'd tended to
> attribute it to those US companies which are either aggressively
> expanding, or who can't be bothered to have different promotions in
> Canada. But it seems it's a Canadian defence against cross-border
> shopping (not really an issue in Newfoundland, whose nearest
> international border is with St. Pierre et Miquelon, unless you count
> Quebec).
>
> http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/11/16/f-black-friday-retailers-canada.html?cmp=rss
>

> http://tinyurl.com/akf9tse
>
> Do other parts of the world have this style of massive sales , or even
> a Black Friday to have them on?

We were in FNAC (a major French retailer, originally known for books,
but now selling all sorts of things) in Grenoble on Friday, and I
noticed that all the items from Apple were being offered at 10%
discount for that day only, which was labelled "Black Friday" (in
English). I was only vaguely aware of Black Friday in the US, and I
imagine that most French shoppers had no idea why there was a discount
that day. Probably the sales staff wouldn't haveben able to tell them.

> I'll be staying well away from the stores this weekend.

--
athel

Guy Barry

Nov 25, 2012, 10:07:26 AM11/25/12

"the Omrud" wrote in message news:T5qss.479527$Bz2.2...@fx11.am4...
"Some tell me they understand that Halloween pranks were a post-Reformation
contribution to plague Catholics who kept the vigil of All Saints." The
traditions of the secular Halloween certainly bear no resemblance to those
of the religious one.

--
Guy Barry

Jerry Friedman

Nov 25, 2012, 10:52:32 AM11/25/12
On Nov 25, 5:23 am, "Peter Duncanson [BrE]" <m...@peterduncanson.net>
wrote:
I've heard one or two American Christians say slightly shamefacedly
that they celebrate Christmas although they know that neither the date
nor an injunction to celebrate is in the Bible. I don't think I've
heard any say they don't celebrate it. But there must be some.

--
Jerry Friedman

tony cooper

Nov 25, 2012, 11:27:58 AM11/25/12
Every year some people attack Halloween as a satanic holiday. I don't
see it as a "Protestant" attack, but most of the attackers are
Protestant. Mostly, they are members of some evangelical Christian
sect. The most prominent objectors to Halloween are the Jehovah's
Witnesses. Personally, I think they are just too cheap to buy
costumes and candy.

When my son took the grandchildren trick-or-treating, they came across
a house with a hand-lettered sign outside that said "No Halloweeners"
and some Bible verse quotation. (He didn't note what it was) The
next day the house's yard was tp'd. (toilet paper rolls thrown up in
the trees)

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Cheryl

Nov 25, 2012, 11:58:41 AM11/25/12
Many people say the same about Christmas, and they're often correct.

--
Cheryl

Cheryl

Nov 25, 2012, 12:07:51 PM11/25/12
Now, the TP thing is a bit extreme. People here who don't do Halloween
(or who ran out of candy) simply keep their lights off in the front of
the house, and no one tps anyone. I haven't celebrated Halloween for
years - not for religious reasons, but because I've usually lived in
basement apartments and similar locations that are not found by
trick-or-treaters, and they are very small in number in my current
neighbourhood which runs to student rentals and a few elderly people.
Most trick-or-treaters I see are being carried into their grandparents'
home by Mommy and Daddy, and go nowhere else. I really don't need to buy
and eat candy for non-existent trick-or-treaters and I never did get
into the adult version of Halloween and am convinced its for children
under about 10 or 12.

--
Cheryl

Cheryl

Nov 25, 2012, 12:11:29 PM11/25/12
A very strict group evangelized the town I grew up on - I think the
Plymouth Brethren, but my memory may not be accurate on this - and one
of their rules was no Christmas, although I think it was Santa Claus
they opposed. The husband of a family who attended the same church my
family did joined, which caused a lot of problems. I don't know how - or
if - they worked it out in the end.

As for the lack of Biblical backing - that's what Tradition is for! To
give backing to popular celebrations than maybe don't really go back to
the actual birth of Jesus.

--
Cheryl

tony cooper

Nov 25, 2012, 12:22:54 PM11/25/12
That's the normal drill here. I think the tp was more of a reaction
to the sign than the fact that people didn't give out candy.

>and no one tps anyone. I haven't celebrated Halloween for
>years - not for religious reasons, but because I've usually lived in
>basement apartments and similar locations that are not found by
>trick-or-treaters, and they are very small in number in my current
>neighbourhood which runs to student rentals and a few elderly people.
>Most trick-or-treaters I see are being carried into their grandparents'
>home by Mommy and Daddy, and go nowhere else. I really don't need to buy
>and eat candy for non-existent trick-or-treaters and I never did get
>into the adult version of Halloween and am convinced its for children
>under about 10 or 12.

We had, in addition to our own grandchildren driven over by our son,
maybe three or four groups. Our neighborhood is more grandparent-age
people than younger families. My son's neighborhood had several
groups.

Here are the grandchildren:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/813jgu2q1dvikoj/2012-10-26-combo.jpg

Cheryl

Nov 25, 2012, 12:28:52 PM11/25/12
Very cute!

--
Cheryl

Steve Hayes

Nov 25, 2012, 12:37:48 PM11/25/12
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 14:25:36 -0000, "Guy Barry" <guy....@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:
It's called the Revised Julian Calendar.

Next year Orthodox Easter is on 5 May Gregorian and Wester is on 31 March.

So for that day the traditional Julian Calendar is:

Sunday 5th May 2013
* HOLY PASCHA - THE RESURRECTION OF OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR JESUS CHRIST
* (Beginning of the Pentecostarion)
St Theodore the Sykeote, Bishop of Anastasiopolis (613)
Apostles Nathaniel, Luke, and Clement (1st)
Martyr Leonidas of Alexandria (202)
St Vitalis, Monk of Gaza (7th)
Translation of the Relics of St Vsevolod (in Holy Baptism Gabriel), prince
of Pskov (1138)
Martyr Epipodius of Lyons (c 177)
Julian (Old Style) Calendar [22 Apr]

while the Revised Julian Calendar is:

Sunday 5th May 2013
* HOLY PASCHA - THE RESURRECTION OF OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR JESUS CHRIST
* (Beginning of the Pentecostarion)
Great Martyr Irene of Thessalonica (1st-2nd)
St Hydroc of Cornwall (5th)
St Echa of Crayke, Hermit (767)
Martyrs Neophytus, Gaius, and Gaianus
SS. Martin and Heraclius, of Illyria
St Micah, disciple of St Sergius of Radonezh (1385) (Russian use)
New Monk-Martyr Ephraim of Nea Makri (1426)
Uncovering of the relics of St James, Abbot of Zhelezny Bor (1613)
St Adrian, Abbot of Monza monastery (1619)
Revised Julian (New Style) Calendar

It is the saints days that differ - those on the traditional Julian Calendar
will catch up 13 days later, thus:

Saturday 18th May 2013
* Tone 1 - Week after PASCHA 2
Great Martyr Irene of Thessalonica (1st-2nd)
St Hydroc of Cornwall (5th)
St Echa of Crayke, Hermit (767)
Martyrs Neophytus, Gaius, and Gaianus
SS. Martin and Heraclius, of Illyria
St Micah, disciple of St Sergius of Radonezh (1385) (Russian use)
New Monk-Martyr Ephraim of Nea Makri (1426)
Uncovering of the relics of St James, Abbot of Zhelezny Bor (1613)
St Adrian, Abbot of Monza monastery (1619)
Julian (Old Style) Calendar [5 May]

That's probably more than you wanted to know, but you *did* ask!

Steve Hayes

Nov 25, 2012, 12:41:44 PM11/25/12
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 14:28:22 -0000, "Guy Barry" <guy....@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

Well Christmas is almost entirely secular in many places, but the root of the
evangelical objection goes back to their Puritan ancestors who deprecated
"Mass" of any kind, including Hallowmas and Christmas.

Mike L

Nov 25, 2012, 4:25:51 PM11/25/12
Oh, perhaps I'm mistaken then...Not quite: we're both right, as Wpee
says they were sold year-round in the 80s, but sales dropped and they
went back to your seasonal pattern.

--
Mike.

Mike L

Nov 25, 2012, 4:37:33 PM11/25/12
I find it sad that we no longer have that special day for remembering
the dead with love and honour - whether in a religious or a secular
spirit. This witchy spidery vampire-teeth shit is meaningless. (You
should have seen grandson in his skeleton onesie, though...)

--
Mike.

Katy Jennison

Nov 25, 2012, 4:59:14 PM11/25/12
On 25/11/2012 21:37, Mike L wrote:

> I find it sad that we no longer have that special day for remembering
> the dead with love and honour - whether in a religious or a secular
> spirit. This witchy spidery vampire-teeth shit is meaningless. (You
> should have seen grandson in his skeleton onesie, though...)

We seem to manage both. The grandchildren made Halloween party
decorations and we all wore spooky costumes, but we also had a "dumb
supper", setting a place for a dead person. The grandchildren
immediately nominated their grandfather, my late ex-husband, and they
wrote out a special menu for him so that he would know what he was
supposed to be eating.

--
Katy Jennison

the Omrud

Nov 25, 2012, 5:44:31 PM11/25/12
Manchester Cathedral always intersperses the All Souls' Day service with
the Duruflé Requiem. I sometimes go so I can hear the music, but they
spend minutes between each part of the service by reading out the names
of the dead in a portentous tone, and it's soooooooo depressing.

I have to sit far away from everybody else to avoid having to touch
strangers during the blasted "sign of peace". I wave, nervously.

--
David

R H Draney

Nov 25, 2012, 5:47:07 PM11/25/12
Guy Barry filted:

>You don't get a holiday on the day after Christmas Day, though, do you?
>It's a public holiday here. Not only that, the three subsequent working
>days between then and New Year are treated by many as unofficial holidays
>(rather like your Black Friday), so that many people don't go back to work
>until after New Year's Day. Some companies close down completely during
>that period, or encourage staff to take their annual leave during that time.
>
>I have *never* taken time off during that period - it's my favourite period
>for working, because everything's so quiet.

That was the result where I used to work, but for a different reason...employees
are not allowed to carry forward unused vacation days from one calendar year to
the next, so those who haven't managed to deplete the supply of days off by this
time simply don't show up at the end of the year....

As you say, everything's quiet....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.

R H Draney

Nov 25, 2012, 6:03:16 PM11/25/12
Cheryl filted:

>On 24/11/2012 12:51 AM, Guy Barry wrote:
>>

>> "Cheryl" wrote in message news:ahagb4...@mid.individual.net...
>>
>>> This was the first year I saw Cadbury's Halloween Easter Eggs 'Screme
>>> eggs'.
>>
>> How can they be Halloween Easter eggs? I know what you mean, but...
>
>I don't know what else to call them. Halloween eggs don't exist, or so I
>thought, and I don't see why I should change my mind because someone
>decided to sell their candy in the form of eggs instead of pumpkins or
>ghosts. They're chocolate-covered eggs, superficially identical to
>Easter eggs.

A travesty, as are marshmallow Peeps in any color other than yellow or shape
other than chicks...fie on your pink bunnies and orange jacks-o-lantern....

My favorite seasonal candy is the "Irish spud" sold in March by See's Candy: a
potato-shaped lump of divinity fudge, covered with cocoa powder and dotted with
almond slivers to simulate "eyes"....r

R H Draney

Nov 25, 2012, 6:12:31 PM11/25/12
Katy Jennison filted:
You need to spend the season around here, then...there's nearly as much
promotion in the Phoenix area for Dias de Los Muertos as for Halloween, and in
Dave Hatunen's neighborhood the two observances are virtually neck-and-neck....r

Katy Jennison

Nov 25, 2012, 6:21:04 PM11/25/12
On 25/11/2012 22:44, the Omrud wrote:

> Manchester Cathedral always intersperses the All Souls' Day service with
> the Duruflé Requiem. I sometimes go so I can hear the music, but they
> spend minutes between each part of the service by reading out the names
> of the dead in a portentous tone, and it's soooooooo depressing.
>
> I have to sit far away from everybody else to avoid having to touch
> strangers during the blasted "sign of peace". I wave, nervously.

Why do they do that? If someone wanted to dream up the most off-putting
thing in order to discourage the maximum number of first-time
droppers-in from ever attending a service again, that would win the
all-comers' cup.

--
Katy Jennison

tony cooper

Nov 25, 2012, 7:32:35 PM11/25/12
I feel better now. I thought I was the only one who doesn't like to
shake hands and make a friendly grimace at everyone seated around me.
I rarely go to Mass, but when I do accompany my wife she always leans
over and says "Be nice" just before this horrible custom. I still
manage to avoid noticing as many outstretched hands as possible.

Robert Bannister

Nov 25, 2012, 8:00:34 PM11/25/12
On 25/11/12 9:14 PM, Steve Hayes wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 08:22:59 GMT, Peter Young <pny...@ormail.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> A remnant of the Julian calendar seems to make the Eastern Orthodox
>> Church celebrate Christmas on 7 January. And in Ethiopia, where the
>> Church is an Orthodox splinter group, they have their own calendar,
>> seven years out of step with ours, and New Year is in the second week
>> of our September, when the rains stop. See
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_calendar
>
> Some Orthodox Churches use the Julian calendar for Christmans (we were at one
> this morning), all use it for Easter.

Not so. The Greeks and Macedonians and Bulgarians and Russians do not
always celebrate Easter at the same time. I think it's the Greeks who
have fixed their Easter to be the same as the majority.

--
Robert Bannister

Robert Bannister

Nov 25, 2012, 8:22:06 PM11/25/12
On 26/11/12 1:37 AM, Steve Hayes wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 14:25:36 -0000, "Guy Barry" <guy....@blueyonder.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

>> "Steve Hayes" wrote in message
>>
>>> Some Orthodox Churches use the Julian calendar for Christmans (we were at
>>> one
>>> this morning), all use it for Easter.
>>
>> How does that work, then? I'd have thought that the dates of all festivals
>> would have to be decided according to the same calendar. If you're with a
>> church that uses the Julian calendar for Easter but celebrates Christmas on
>> the Gregorian 25 December, aren't they actually celebrating it on 12
>> December by their calculations?
>
> It's called the Revised Julian Calendar.
>
> Next year Orthodox Easter is on 5 May Gregorian and Wester is on 31 March.

I've just checked: it seems that in 2013 all the Orthodox churches are
having Easter on the 5 May. Christmas this year is on the 7 January.

--
Robert Bannister

Robert Bannister

Nov 25, 2012, 8:24:32 PM11/25/12
On 26/11/12 12:27 AM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 10:46:40 -0330, Cheryl <cper...@mun.ca> wrote:

>>> In the US the Catholic holiday that Protestants snipe at is mostly Halloween
>>> rather than Christmas.
>>>
>>> At least that's the impression I get from reading stuff on the Internet.
>>
>> I get the impression that that's common, but 'Put Christ back in
>> Christmas' and similar campaigns are as, or even more, common. Any
>> Americans have an opinion?
>
> Every year some people attack Halloween as a satanic holiday.

Is it actually a holiday over there? It's not here.

I don't
> see it as a "Protestant" attack, but most of the attackers are
> Protestant. Mostly, they are members of some evangelical Christian
> sect. The most prominent objectors to Halloween are the Jehovah's
> Witnesses. Personally, I think they are just too cheap to buy
> costumes and candy.
>
> When my son took the grandchildren trick-or-treating, they came across
> a house with a hand-lettered sign outside that said "No Halloweeners"
> and some Bible verse quotation. (He didn't note what it was) The
> next day the house's yard was tp'd. (toilet paper rolls thrown up in
> the trees)

Sounds satanic to me.

--
Robert Bannister

Robert Bannister

Nov 25, 2012, 8:27:08 PM11/25/12
I went to a very Anglican school. On All Saints Day, we had a service in
the school chapel and marched around the main quad singing lustily "For
all the saints, who from their labours rest..." (not "marching in").

--
Robert Bannister

tony cooper

Nov 25, 2012, 10:24:17 PM11/25/12
Define "holiday". Are any businesses closed? No. Not even the
banks, and US banks would close on Melbourne Cup Day if Oz wasn't on
the next day before we are. No one gets Halloween off.

If you can define a day with a central theme that is widely recognized
and practiced over the entire country by a significant percentage of
the population as a holiday, then, "yes".

We recognize Mother's Day and Father's Day as holidays, but stores and
offices don't close.

The closing of stores and offices and a day off from work is not a
requirement for a day to be a holiday. If there's a Hallmark card for
the occasion, it's a holiday. If a "Peanuts" special pre-empts
regular TV programming, it's a holiday.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted