Scully and Pendrell?

KIMBERLY A PIFER

Aug 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/7/96

Okay, there's been some talk of Scully and Pendrell getting together.
Mostly, I've looked at it as a joke, sort of a desperate wish to get
some action for our dear Saint Scully.

But there seems to be a growing level of seriousness to this thread. Why,
even Gizzie has given it her blessing. I'm just not sure I can see this
happening. I know he has a huge crush on her but they just don't seem
compatible. I know, I know, how can you tell at this point. The guy seems
permanently relegated to sporadic guest shots. His entire screen time has
been what, 10 minutes?

With this in mind, I put forth the query to all those Pendrell/
Scully-ites: What exactly is it about a union between these two (or
even a simple date for that matter) that you find appealing?

I assure you, I ask this without any malice. I'm not trying to start a
Pendrell/Scully shipper/anti-shipper flame war. It's just that until I
started seeing these posts on the newsgroup, the thought of them togeth-
er had never even seriously crossed my mind.

Kim

"Please explain to me the scientific nature of 'The Whammy.'"

Corinne

Aug 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/8/96
to kap...@barbados.cc.odu.edu

kap...@barbados.cc.odu.edu (KIMBERLY A PIFER) wrote:

>I assure you, I ask this without any malice. I'm not trying to start a
>Pendrell/Scully shipper/anti-shipper flame war. It's just that until I
>started seeing these posts on the newsgroup, the thought of them togeth-
>er had never even seriously crossed my mind.

Nor my mind !!! In my opinion Pendrell is like a little doggy, wanting
to be hugged. Scully is a much more in control and together kindof person.
Her going out with that Pendrell who's practically drooling every time
he sees her seems so unlikely !!! He's like Frohike, he adores her way
to much for her to consider going out with him.

Just my 2 cents

Corinne.

Paul Wartenberg

Aug 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/8/96

Maybe they can do it as sort of a role-reversal of "War of the
Coprphages", where Scully gets the romantic interest while leaving Mulder
hanging on the cel phone...and in the end when Pendrell walks off with
another woman, Mulder (having just crawled through a sewer or something
equally smelly) will try to comfort Scully who'll lean in and say "Mulder,
you smell bad"...

--
Paul Wartenberg-------------------- | -----All Done.--------
z004...@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us | -----Bye-Bye.---------

John A. Coffin

Aug 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/8/96

On 8 Aug 1996, Paul Wartenberg wrote:

> Maybe they can do it as sort of a role-reversal of "War of the
> Coprphages", where Scully gets the romantic interest while leaving Mulder

Out of character for Pendrell, IMO. He is much too dedicated (like a
puppy dog) to Scully. I think he should eke up the courage and ask
Scully out on a date. Maybe the safe lunch or the non-stress movie or
the non-stress movie with a safe dinner and a stressful drive home.
ANYWAY, she says yes (shock response?), and gets into it when Mulder
responds to it (ie she doesn't have time to go on his wild goose chases
because she has a date...hmmm) in a jelous manner. Or, even worse, not
respond at all. Hmmm.

JC

smeagol

Aug 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/9/96

Hey man! There is nothing wrong with Frohike. He's the true protagonist
of the X-Files. He just has Mulder and Scully do his legwork while he
does the important stuff.
8)

Crunchy Frog

Aug 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/10/96

On 7 Aug 1996, KIMBERLY A PIFER wrote:
> permanently relegated to sporadic guest shots. His entire screen time has
> been what, 10 minutes?

... And it may or may not increase in the 2nd season...
(At this point, Crunchy does her patented *Dance Of The Gloating
Amphibian*)

> With this in mind, I put forth the query to all those Pendrell/
> Scully-ites: What exactly is it about a union between these two (or
> even a simple date for that matter) that you find appealing?

Well, I wasn't originally taken with the Pendrell idea either, but
the more I see him on the show, the more I like it.
I've come around for the following reasons:
1) He doesn't suck out your body fat.
2) He isn't, as far as we know, a gender-switching alien.
3) He's cute in that Doogie-Howser, "does your Mom know you're
out this late", sort of way,
4) He isn't obssesive, compulsive, or neurotic, like *some*
fictional agents I could mention.
5) Because of #4, he's more likely to treat her as she *deserves*
to be treated, maybe pay some attention to her, and not always
whining "Oh, *MY* sister was taken by aliens... *MY* father
was killed by the government, *MY* mother is in a coma...
The government is trying to stop *MY* work... ME.. ME.. ME..." :)
6) He's obviously sweet on her.
7) He's intelligent, and science-oriented... Someone Scully
could have an intelligent conversation with about all those
exciting forensic advancements.
8) The way Scully said "Looks like a job for Agent Pendrell and
the crime-sci lab" (rough quote, Wetwired) was *TOO* cute...
Everytime I think about that, it makes me giggle...
Yeah, she *really* needed to take that TV receptor
to him personally... (too bad Mulder messed up her chance to
go visit Doogie, er Pendrell). Hmm... at that point she didn't
trust Mulder, but was ready to trust Pendrell.. And I was
wondering why Scully was always late to the scene! It's cause
she's off playing "Fun with Microscopes" with Pendrell!
9) Who can resist the guy who studies the implant that was taken
from you neck, and keeps it quiet from the government, media,
etc?

And of course, as the NoRomos would add:

10) Anything to stop those Mulder/Scully rumours! :)

Does anybody else have any Pro- or Anti-Pendrell points?

Crunchy Frog

Live crazy. E-mail naked.

Michael Aulfrey

Aug 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/11/96

Corinne <avr...@worldaccess.nl> writes:

>Nor my mind !!! In my opinion Pendrell is like a little doggy, wanting
>to be hugged. Scully is a much more in control and together kindof person.
>Her going out with that Pendrell who's practically drooling every time
>he sees her seems so unlikely !!! He's like Frohike, he adores her way
>to much for her to consider going out with him.

>Just my 2 cents

>Corinne.

Okay, here's mine. What is this idea that Pendrell *is* a little doggy?
Okay, so he likes her, but he certainly doesn't go around to her place
after getting drunk! :) :) We've had two (count 'em) incidents which seem
to expose that Pendrell *may* be at all interested in Scully: the one
where he beats himself over the head for the inane comment, and possibly
one where he backs Scully up once she's left the room .. something about
"strange things." But let's look at the overall picture: most of the
time, he's been committed to work and hasn't shown Scully anything more
than professional courtesy. As for the inane comment: well, maybe he
figures here's a chance to get in with one of the best-looking agents in
the Bureau. Maybe he was trying out new lines, I don't know.

I just don't like the assumption that just because Pendrell seems
to work in the lab most of the time that he has no life, no girlfriend,
and an obssessive interest in Scully. Okay, she's pretty, but it's not
like every man she meets falls in love with her (present company and
myself excluded, of course. :) :)) Or indeed that every computer nerd has
no life of their own.

What's my point? Scully and Pendrell? Could happen; and there's nothing to
suggest one way or the other whether Pendrell would say yes or no to such
an arrangement.
Michael J. Aulfrey Anti-Gump, X-Phile
University of Western Australia X-Fanfictioneer
Address: mike...@tartarus.uwa.edu.au
"High tech <beep> tech <beep> <WHACK!> technology." -- Fox Mulder on Pentium
"Unarmed...and extremely attractive." -- Dana Scully on Windows 95

Coleen Sullivan-Baier

Aug 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/11/96

In <4ujl1j$d...@enyo.uwa.edu.au> mike...@tartarus.uwa.edu.au (Michael
Aulfrey) writes:

>:) We've had two (count 'em) incidents which seem to expose that
Pendrell *may* be at all interested in Scully: the one
>where he beats himself over the head for the inane comment, and
>possibly one where he backs Scully up once she's left the room ..

BUT THAT'S ENOUGH!!! We're obsessive, remember.

Mulder only wore a Speedo ONCE, and he was "in Camera" for
exactly 3.8 seconds...and we're STILL breathing heavy.

XXXXXXXXgizzieXXXXXXXX
(I may be cheap, but I'm not free)

Angela D. Troiani

Aug 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/11/96

On 7 Aug 1996, KIMBERLY A PIFER wrote:

> With this in mind, I put forth the query to all those Pendrell/
> Scully-ites: What exactly is it about a union between these two (or
> even a simple date for that matter) that you find appealing?
>
> I assure you, I ask this without any malice. I'm not trying to start a
> Pendrell/Scully shipper/anti-shipper flame war. It's just that until I
> started seeing these posts on the newsgroup, the thought of them togeth-
> er had never even seriously crossed my mind.

okay, I have to agree with Kim here...I just don't see it..Pendrell is
a kid compared to Scully...she is too mature for him...but at least he
doesnt seem to buy into the Ice Queen image everyone has of her..

Michael Aulfrey

Aug 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/12/96

giz...@ix.netcom.com(Coleen Sullivan-Baier) writes:
> BUT THAT'S ENOUGH!!! We're obsessive, remember.

> Mulder only wore a Speedo ONCE, and he was "in Camera" for
>exactly 3.8 seconds...and we're STILL breathing heavy.

> XXXXXXXXgizzieXXXXXXXX
> (I may be cheap, but I'm not free)

Now if we could only coax GA into a one-piece ... or a two-piece ... or
... oh, dear, I have to go and have a cold shower again....

Jennifer Zarrelli

Aug 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/12/96

Coleen Sullivan-Baier wrote:

> XXXXXXXXgizzieXXXXXXXX
> (I may be cheap, but I'm not free)

I thought it was "I'm not cheap, but I can be had." Hmmm... :)

Jen Z.

Coleen Sullivan-Baier

Aug 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/13/96

In <Pine.GSO.3.95.960811...@planetx.bloomu.edu>

"Angela D. Troiani" <adt...@planetx.bloomu.edu> writes:

>okay, I have to agree with Kim here...I just don't see it..Pendrell is
>a kid compared to Scully...she is too mature for him...

Scully appears so mature because she is so serious...*I*, on
the other hand, appear immmature, because I'm hardly EVER serious...
no, you're right, I'm just immature...

XXXXXXXXgizzzieXXXXXXXX (I WANT X **NOW** !!!)

Shanna Swendson

Aug 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/13/96

In article <Pine.SGI.3.91.960810002403.11056B-100000@fraser>, Crunchy Frog
<awa...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> Does anybody else have any Pro- or Anti-Pendrell points?

Well, he'd make a great emergency stand-by kind of date, like when you
have to go to a wedding, family event, class reunion, office party, etc.,
and need someone safe to take. I cringe at the thought of Mulder at a
family wedding. You never know when he's going to start having visions of
his missing sister, or get paranoid when he thinks he sees a wisp of
cigarette smoke coming from the back of the room. She could take Pendrell
with no problem. He'd behave himself, be a perfect gentleman and really
impress grandma, plus there would be no worries about one of the
bridesmaids coming on to him and him just going along with it.

Pendrell also strikes me as someone who would be good to vent frustrations
to. He'd just listen, nod and say "that's awful" when appropriate. The
next time Mulder ditches her to run off on some wild goose chase, she
needs to go into Pendrell's lab on the pretext of needing some test run.
He'd notice she's upset and ask if she wants to talk about it, then buy
her a cup of coffee and listen to her gripe. In reversed circumstances,
Mulder probably wouldn't even hear her.

So whether or not it becomes romantic, here's my vote for Scully at least
becoming friends with Pendrell.

Shanna
The Stealth Geek Goddess, who has a weakness for nice, slightly geeky guys :-)

Coleen Sullivan-Baier

Aug 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/13/96

In <shanna_swendson-...@mac78.mccom.com>
shanna_...@mccom.com (Shanna Swendson) writes:

> He'd just listen, nod and say "that's awful" when appropriate. The
>next time Mulder ditches her to run off on some wild goose chase, she
>needs to go into Pendrell's lab on the pretext of needing some test
>run. He'd notice she's upset and ask if she wants to talk about it,
>then buy her a cup of coffee and listen to her gripe.

....then they could go back to Scully's pretty little pastel
pink bedroom and boink their brains out.....

XXXXXXXXgizzieXXXXXXX (gotta watch them geeks)

Crunchy Frog

Aug 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/13/96

Hey, Shanna, can we bestow official Stealth Geek Status on
Pendrell? After all, he is a little geeky, but not geeky enough to hang
out with the Lone Gunman guys, like certain other (stealth geeky) agents
we know of... And he realized just how geeky his comment "Keep it up
yourself" was, so he's conscious of his geekiness (poor little Doof. Hey! I
have my official nickname for Pendrell: a combo of Doof and Doogie!
Doofie! <g>... Here Doofie, Doofie... Good agent! Stay, boy, stay..).

On another thread, I think Mulder has been losing his Stealthness
a bit, and going geekier. Hmm, bad choice. A leather jacket does not
preclude geekiness! Quick, we need an emergency shot of him in his
glasses to re-set the balance!

John A. Coffin

Aug 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/14/96

On Tue, 13 Aug 1996, Crunchy Frog wrote:

> Doofie! <g>... Here Doofie, Doofie... Good agent! Stay, boy, stay..).

Ok, if Pendrell was a dog, what kind of dog would he be (and would Mulder
get him eaten by some monster)?

I'd give him golden retreiver...he's quiet, inteligent, and usually in a
good mood, dependable, and has a nice golden mane. He's also good at
fetching stuff (for Dana) and has that googlely look in his eyes whenever
she walk into the room (although he doesn't stick out his tongue and pant).

JC

Annette

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

I think he has hidden depths. Maybe he's had a crush on her for awhile,
and gets a little self consious when he's around her now. If he went on
a couple of dates with her he would be fine. Actually he's more than
just fine! Maybe he would bring her around and back out of her shell.
Or at least get a smile from her. I hope it happens.

Annette

JN Cotton

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

In <Pine.OSF.3.91.960814...@alcor.concordia.ca> "John

Uh. I think an Australian Shepherd. Smart. Friendly. And doesn't bite
the kids.

nancy (no clever sig)

David W. Vosper

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

I just returned from Vancouver, BC, where my friend and I tracked down
and visited the 1013 Productions X-Files Studios. Didn't get an inside
tour, just a drive-by. They are very adment about NO TOURS over the
telephone. A drive-by is the next best thing.

catherine yronwode

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

Shanna Swendson wrote:

> Crunchy Frog <awa...@sfu.ca> wrote:
> > Hey, Shanna, can we bestow official Stealth Geek Status on
> > Pendrell? After all, he is a little geeky, but not geeky enough to
> > hang out with the Lone Gunman guys, like certain other (stealth
> > geeky) agents we know of... And he realized just how geeky his
> > comment "Keep it up yourself" was, so he's conscious of his
> > geekiness

> Yes, that self-consciousness means he is attaining a degree of
> stealthiness.

Self-cconscious geekniess is next to self-loathing geekiness, which
leads to stealthy geekiness. Is Pendrell the next sex-god of the
X-FIles???

> > On another thread, I think Mulder has been losing his Stealthness
> > a bit, and going geekier. Hmm, bad choice. A leather jacket does not
> > preclude geekiness! Quick, we need an emergency shot of him in his
> > glasses to re-set the balance!
>

> I'll definitely vote for that. I love the glasses shots! 8-)
> And he is losing his geeky adorability by becoming yet another action
> hero in black leather. But I'm not so sure it's all Mulder's fault.
> I suspect we're seeing a bit of DD creep in there, and DD's stealth
> geek status has been revoked (even if he does have the best birthday
> there is). He's working too hard to try to be cool and avoid the
> brainy label. Until we notice a change of direction, he's on
> probation, and therefore, Mulder with him.

Well said. I have been trying to put my finger on "what's wrong with DD"
(and therefor DD-as-Muder) for several months now and that's it! DD is
trying to become an anti-geek. His choice in suits and his painful
attampts at cool, hip, sardonic humour indicate a geek in crisis, a geek
who can't believe that after all the fame, money, and sexual celebrity
he is still a geek.

> > Live crazy. E-mail naked.

Sure. All the time.

catherine yronwode ------------------------- mailto:yron...@sonic.net
news:alt.lucky.w - discussion of folkloric amulets, charms, & talismans
LUCKY W AMULET ARCHIVE ------ http://www.sonic.net/yronwode/LuckyW.html
mailto:sp...@intuition.org --- sacred sites, geometry, archaeoastronomy
THE SACRED LANDSCAPE ---- http://www.sonic.net/yronwode/sacredland.html

Shanna Swendson

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

In article <Pine.SGI.3.91.960813185059.3196D-100000@fraser>, Crunchy Frog
<awa...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> Hey, Shanna, can we bestow official Stealth Geek Status on
> Pendrell? After all, he is a little geeky, but not geeky enough to hang
> out with the Lone Gunman guys, like certain other (stealth geeky) agents
> we know of... And he realized just how geeky his comment "Keep it up

> yourself" was, so he's conscious of his geekiness (poor little Doof. Hey! I
> have my official nickname for Pendrell: a combo of Doof and Doogie!

> Doofie! <g>... Here Doofie, Doofie... Good agent! Stay, boy, stay..).

Yes, that self-consciousness means he is attaining a degree of
stealthiness. Thus, it is written by the Goddess herself that Pendrell is
now an Official Stealth Geek, and subject to all the rights and
priviledges thereof, etc., etc.

> On another thread, I think Mulder has been losing his Stealthness
> a bit, and going geekier. Hmm, bad choice. A leather jacket does not
> preclude geekiness! Quick, we need an emergency shot of him in his
> glasses to re-set the balance!

I'll definitely vote for that. I love the glasses shots! 8-)
And he is losing his geeky adorability by becoming yet another action hero
in black leather. But I'm not so sure it's all Mulder's fault. I suspect
we're seeing a bit of DD creep in there, and DD's stealth geek status has
been revoked (even if he does have the best birthday there is). He's
working too hard to try to be cool and avoid the brainy label. Until we
notice a change of direction, he's on probation, and therefore, Mulder
with him.

> Live crazy. E-mail naked.

I don't even want to go there. That's not a pleasant mental image. And
I'd have to close my office door.

Shanna
The Stealth Geek Goddess and Stealth Geek admirer
Is it just me, or is Texas (particularly Dallas) sorely lacking in stealth
geekdom?

Coleen Sullivan-Baier

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

In <4uttl7$q...@ionews.ionet.net> env...@ionet.net (Annette) writes:

> If he went on a couple of dates with her he would be fine.

> Maybe he would bring her around and back out of her shell.

...or out of her clothes.....

>Or at least get a smile from her.

Yes,I'm sure that is what he REALLY wants...a smile...show LOTS
of teeth, there , Scully...or can I call you Dana????

HHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAAAAAAHHHHHAHAHAHHHAHHAHHHHHAH !!!!

XXXXXXXXgizzieXXXXXXXX (I think hysteria is setting in)

JN Cotton

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

In <4uu4kl$o...@dfw-ixnews3.ix.netcom.com> vosp...@ix.netcom.com(David
Well, you'll HAVE to do better than that! Are you a Phile or a Phoney?
Where's your ingenuity? Where's the fake Mulder and Scully IDs???
Where's the "Of course I'm David Duchovny, I just shrunk a little over
the hiatus?" Where's the, "I'm Gillian Anderson's cousin, she's
expecting me," gag? C'mon! You can do it. Go for it!

nancy (no clever sig)
(P.S. This message is NOT to be taken to advocate law breaking or
violence. Just so you know.)

Matt Kelly

Aug 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/18/96

>In article <Pine.SGI.3.91.960810002403.11056B-100000@fraser>, Crunchy Frog
><awa...@sfu.ca> wrote:

>> Does anybody else have any Pro- or Anti-Pendrell points?

(Stuff about Pendrell being a Nice Guy (TM))

>So whether or not it becomes romantic, here's my vote for Scully at least
>becoming friends with Pendrell.

>Shanna
>The Stealth Geek Goddess, who has a weakness for nice, slightly geeky guys :-)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ya know, this describes the self-image of probably 83% of the men on
the Internet, 72% of whom don't have girlfriends. Been getting alot of
friendly emails offering to listen if you need someone to talk to??? :'P

Phenex Tiffany

Aug 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/18/96

Pendrell has a crush on Scully..i think that is hysterical..actually for a
really funny episode he should ask her out and Mulder would be standing in the
doorway and they wouldn't know and Scully not wanting to hurt pendrell says she
will get back to him t
hen Mulder teases her about it the rest of the show...of course that wouldn't
be the plot but it would be funny on the side!

M.J. McCall

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

giz...@ix.netcom.com(Coleen Sullivan-Baier) wrote:

> ...or out of her clothes.....

> Yes,I'm sure that is what he REALLY wants...a smile...show LOTS
>of teeth, there , Scully...or can I call you Dana????
> HHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAAAAAAHHHHHAHAHAHHHAHHAHHHHHAH !!!!
> XXXXXXXXgizzieXXXXXXXX (I think hysteria is setting in)

Scully & Pendrell sitting in the lab,
He's doing something really, really, bad,
First go her clothes,
Then go his,
Then out pops the Goddess, our wonderful GIZ!

MJ

Coleen Sullivan-Baier

Aug 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/24/96

In <4vio81$r...@news.dx.net> Thu...@omegabbs.com (M.J. McCall) writes:

>Scully & Pendrell sitting in the lab,
>He's doing something really, really, bad,
>First go her clothes,
>Then go his,
>Then out pops the Goddess, our wonderful GIZ!

...."popping" out from WHERE???

XXXXXXXXgizzieXXXXXXXX (It's FUN to be BAD!!!)