Good, Creepy Fun

Liz Wallace

Dec 2, 2001, 11:27:41 PM12/2/01
The teaser made me yelp. That is always a good thing. It sent the
nine year old running for his room. :D

The ep looked wonderful. Loved the full moon reflection in the
puddle. The locations, the mental institution and the marina, were
really good looking. It was all creepy, even the daylight scenes.

James Remar was good. I especially liked the scene in the big room
where he first started to taunt Doggett, when he circled around the
room to him while he talked.

And about that taunting. Damn. That was harsh. And then a vomit
shower on top of it.

I have to say it. I know I'm not the only one who laughed at the
vomit scene. It was freakin' *endless*. Poor Doggett's horrified
expression, and the splattering and spewing, on and on and on. Forget
ectoplasm, the guy threw up *20 gallons* of puke! That doesn't occur
under normal circumstances.

I couldn't believe we saw JD in the next scene. I would have been in
the shower for at least a couple of days after that. ;)

I'm not sure how I like the three-agent dynamic. It's always going to
be two against one. I've got to watch again paying more attention to
how they interact with each other.

Okay, now I've got to be critical. Annabeth's got to crank it up a
notch. She's investigated hundreds of cases of alleged Satanic stuff,
and never found evidence of Satan. In this case, she *feels* the
presence of evil. Shouldn't she be scared? She just sort of looked
vaguely troubled to me, and just sort of annoyed that JD didn't
believe her. I want to see two things before the end of the season.
I want to see her scared out of her mind, to the point of tears,
screaming, yelling for help, running for her life, whatever. And I
want to see her have an out and out yelling fight with JD where she
loses her cool and gets in his face.

I enjoyed the episode. It was good, solid and scary. RP was great.
(more on that later, probably) ;)

Good job, guys.

Liz W.

SamIam

Dec 3, 2001, 1:58:55 AM12/3/01
>James Remar was good. I especially liked the scene in the big room
>where he first started to taunt Doggett, when he circled around the
>room to him while he talked.

Good cops dont let suspects do that. Its a classic "play" and one of the first
things they taught me in class. Its an ego thing designed to indicate who is
in control.

Samiam
Baseball Whore and Official ATXF Debunker
"Shut up, Mulder. I'm playing baseball."
When you get in a flame war, even the friendly fire can be a problem.

SamIam

Dec 3, 2001, 2:00:08 AM12/3/01
>I have to say it. I know I'm not the only one who laughed at the
>vomit scene. It was freakin' *endless*.

I smiled .. I didnt laugh. I was wondering why he hadnt backed all the way to
the door when he got hit on the first go-round.

SamIam

Dec 3, 2001, 2:05:50 AM12/3/01
>I'm not sure how I like the three-agent dynamic.

There IS no dynamic because they arent doing anything with Scully but making
her an object for Doggett's desire. And its annoying as hell.

>It's always going to be two against one.

this is why my mother always tells me never have kids in odd numbers unless
there is a huge age diff between two (like the 10 years between me and my older
sibs .. basically making me an only child)

adhokk7

Dec 3, 2001, 2:21:22 AM12/3/01
SamIam wrote:

>There IS no dynamic because they arent doing anything with Scully but making
>her an object for Doggett's desire. And its annoying as hell.

Really! She used to just be Mulder's nag. Now she's much less
three-dimensional.

-ad, noromo
--
NRMTPB- Tyrant
http://www.caryrainey.com

SamIam

Dec 3, 2001, 2:42:08 AM12/3/01
>>There IS no dynamic because they arent doing anything with Scully but making
>>her an object for Doggett's desire. And its annoying as hell.
>
>Really! She used to just be Mulder's nag. Now she's much less
>three-dimensional.

oh shit

now ad is agreeing with me ... did I just hear the angels of heaven weep?

Liz Wallace

Dec 3, 2001, 2:39:51 AM12/3/01
On 03 Dec 2001 06:58:55 GMT, samp...@aol.com (SamIam) wrote:

>>James Remar was good. I especially liked the scene in the big room
>>where he first started to taunt Doggett, when he circled around the
>>room to him while he talked.
>
>Good cops dont let suspects do that. Its a classic "play" and one of the first
>things they taught me in class. Its an ego thing designed to indicate who is
>in control.

Yeah, I thought that was sort of the point. Doggett was out of
control of this guy, and he was pissed about it. He did it because
Monica thought they could get something out of the guy to solve the
case.

Liz W.

Phil R.

Dec 3, 2001, 4:17:28 AM12/3/01
Liz wrote:

>*20 gallons* of puke!

Great band name.

--Phil

Archie

Dec 3, 2001, 6:45:14 AM12/3/01

"SamIam" <samp...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >>There IS no dynamic because they arent doing anything with Scully but
making
> >>her an object for Doggett's desire. And its annoying as hell.
> >
> >Really! She used to just be Mulder's nag. Now she's much less
> >three-dimensional.
>
> oh shit
>
> now ad is agreeing with me ... did I just hear the angels of heaven weep?

Nope, but Satan's running amok and vomiting all over people. Must be
freezing in hell. :-P

--
Archie
WNS Prez, A Big Ol' Goofy Poopey, Sean Groupie #69,

Alan Hurshman

Dec 3, 2001, 7:21:34 AM12/3/01
"Liz Wallace" <lwa...@AOL.COM> wrote in message

> I have to say it. I know I'm not the only one who laughed at the
> vomit scene. It was freakin' *endless*. Poor Doggett's horrified
> expression, and the splattering and spewing, on and on and on. Forget
> ectoplasm, the guy threw up *20 gallons* of puke! That doesn't occur
> under normal circumstances.

Doggett doesn't seem to know how to backup.
I bet he stands out in the rain too.

> believe her. I want to see two things before the end of the season.
> I want to see her scared out of her mind, to the point of tears,
> screaming, yelling for help, running for her life, whatever. And I

No way. Reyes is too cool.

> want to see her have an out and out yelling fight with JD where she
> loses her cool and gets in his face.

I want to see her take the obvious stick
and beat him about the head.

--
Alan Hurshman
Halifax, Nova Scotia

{Wishbone For Scully In 2002}

FEB, CCC, GABAL, #27
Order of the Holy Pup
CCynic #2, WNS

robert w hall

Dec 3, 2001, 7:27:09 AM12/3/01
> I have to say it. I know I'm not the only one who laughed at the
> vomit scene. It was freakin' *endless*. Poor Doggett's horrified
> expression, and the splattering and spewing, on and on and on. Forget
> ectoplasm, the guy threw up *20 gallons* of puke! That doesn't occur
> under normal circumstances.

Really strong currys (extra hot vindaloo) can do cause that, but usually out
both ends, speaking from experience.. :(

Rob

Alan Hurshman

Dec 3, 2001, 8:37:28 AM12/3/01
"robert w hall" <robert...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Which is why you should get your vindaloo takeaway.

SusanDef

Dec 3, 2001, 9:34:00 AM12/3/01
Liz W. wrote:

>The teaser made me yelp. That is always a good thing.

Yes, the teaser was great. Especially nice to see after last week's snoozer of
a teaser. Also good was the opening of the first act, when Monica walks in to
see the dead couple sitting at the scrabble table. Made my skin crawl.

>The ep looked wonderful. Loved the full moon reflection in the
>puddle. The locations, the mental institution and the marina, were
>really good looking. It was all creepy, even the daylight scenes.

I think Frank has a future in directing. He did a fabulous job.

>I'm not sure how I like the three-agent dynamic. It's always going to
>be two against one. I've got to watch again paying more attention to
>how they interact with each other.

I really like it because it's different. The M/S dynamic got so old and
predictable. With three players, writers can play with the dynamics in a lot
more ways. Even if it turns out to be always two against one, it can be a
different two in another ep. I'm looking forward to the possibilities.

>Okay, now I've got to be critical. Annabeth's got to crank it up a
>notch. She's investigated hundreds of cases of alleged Satanic stuff,
>and never found evidence of Satan. In this case, she *feels* the
>presence of evil. Shouldn't she be scared? She just sort of looked
>vaguely troubled to me, and just sort of annoyed that JD didn't
>believe her.

I thought she looked scared in the very beginning, and after that tried to tamp
down and hide her fear.

> I want to see two things before the end of the season.
>I want to see her scared out of her mind, to the point of tears,
>screaming, yelling for help, running for her life, whatever. And I
>want to see her have an out and out yelling fight with JD where she
>loses her cool and gets in his face.

I'd like to see those two go at it, too. :-)

Susan

Jerusha

Dec 3, 2001, 2:43:12 PM12/3/01
Liz Wallace wrote:

> James Remar was good. I especially liked the scene in the big room
> where he first started to taunt Doggett, when he circled around the
> room to him while he talked.
>
> And about that taunting. Damn. That was harsh. And then a vomit
> shower on top of it.

That was my favorite scene as well. I liked that he was getting under
Doggett's skin. Reminded me of certain scenes in "Beyond the Sea". I
like that Doggett is usually pretty cool and calm, unless someone is
bringing up his feelings, or his past tragedies (I'm thinking of last
season - throwing Mulder up against the wall. I can't remember what
episode that was in).

> I have to say it. I know I'm not the only one who laughed at the
> vomit scene. It was freakin' *endless*. Poor Doggett's horrified
> expression, and the splattering and spewing, on and on and on. Forget
> ectoplasm, the guy threw up *20 gallons* of puke! That doesn't occur
> under normal circumstances.

I laughed. Out loud. I haven't laughed out loud during an episode
since...umm...Badlaa. I kept waiting for him to stop puking but he just
kept going and going and going...

Overall, I liked this episode. I seem to be in the minority in that I
enjoyed the story *and* the character interaction. I still think Monica
and Scully need to get different hairdos so I can tell them apart in
dark profile shots, but other than that, I thought it was very well done.

Jerusha
--
*WNS, FPSSG, HADSG, XFW204
http://www.geocities.com/flakybandit/index.html

SamIam

Dec 3, 2001, 3:20:21 PM12/3/01
> I still think Monica and Scully need to get different hairdos so I can tell
them apart in
>dark profile shots

The height dif isnt a clue?

Jerusha

Dec 3, 2001, 3:29:17 PM12/3/01
SamIam wrote:

> > I still think Monica and Scully need to get different hairdos so I can tell
> them apart in
> >dark profile shots
>
> The height dif isnt a clue?

Well, yeah, if you can tell the person's height in the shot. Sometimes
it's just their head, in profile. Every episode this season, so far,
has had at least one scene where I wasn't sure if I was looking at
Scully or Reyes. Of course, since I am watching using a bunny ears
antenna, this could also be a reception problem on the part of my tv.

spookycc

Dec 3, 2001, 6:25:49 PM12/3/01

"Jerusha" <am...@cantspamme.com> wrote in message

> SamIam wrote:
> >
> > > I still think Monica and Scully need to get different hairdos so I can
tell
> > them apart in
> > >dark profile shots
> >
> > The height dif isnt a clue?
>
> Well, yeah, if you can tell the person's height in the shot. Sometimes
> it's just their head, in profile. Every episode this season, so far,
> has had at least one scene where I wasn't sure if I was looking at
> Scully or Reyes. Of course, since I am watching using a bunny ears
> antenna, this could also be a reception problem on the part of my tv.

It's not just a bunny-ear problem, imo - when only one of them is on-
screen, if the lighting is good (and by that I mean dark :-) I've had
trouble
more than once each ep.

If Doggett's in the scene, it's not a problem, 'cuz he never had that
*intense*
look with Reyes that he has with Scully. ;-p

spookycc

Rejected Dialogue, Daemonicus:
Scully [after touching Doggett's arm gently to get his
attention]: I know what you're feeling...
Doggett: Am I pitchin' a tent *that* big? -Diandra, SHODDS

mog...@ix.netcom.com

Dec 3, 2001, 6:56:30 PM12/3/01
Great episode... good clean disturbing fun. The ladies are dressing
really well, too. I guess the FBI must be paying them pretty good. I
just keep wondering...now that Mitch Pileggi is in the opening credits
how come he's not in the show? Very strange.

Marty

Mary Aileen Buss

Dec 3, 2001, 7:02:42 PM12/3/01
Liz Wallace wrote:

> Okay, now I've got to be critical. Annabeth's got to crank it up a
> notch. She's investigated hundreds of cases of alleged Satanic stuff,
> and never found evidence of Satan. In this case, she *feels* the
> presence of evil. Shouldn't she be scared?

And why, oh why, didn't Monica mention the mysteriously stopped fan
instead of just blathering about feelings? Too concrete for her?

--Mary Aileen
"I wish you a hopeful Christmas; I wish you a brave new year."
http://www.themousehole.org

laura capozzola

Dec 3, 2001, 9:27:55 PM12/3/01
SusanDef wrote:

> Liz W. wrote:

> > I want to see two things before the end of the season.
> >I want to see her scared out of her mind, to the point of tears,
> >screaming, yelling for help, running for her life, whatever. And I
> >want to see her have an out and out yelling fight with JD where she
> >loses her cool and gets in his face.
>
> I'd like to see those two go at it, too. :-)

That was what was good about Doggett and Scully in the beginning
of last season, the case arguments. It was this smoldering
something that electrically charged the show. Then whathisname
came back and schmooped it up and Reyes came in and looped it
up. It lost that early S8 spark/that undercurrent between
Doggett and Scully. The possibilities were dashed. I wouldn't
mind seeing Doggett and Reyes go at it...but not over "talking
about" feelings...over work stuff and who's right and who's
wrong. Let the "feelings" percolate. See the passion in the
eyes...

Laura
checking her butt cheek for a shipper dart... ;-D
##*****************************##***************************##
Visit: "All Things Chris Carter" updated 11/18/2001
http://users.erols.com/lauracap/index.html
and
Visit: "The Many Roles of Robert Patrick" updated 11/19/2001
http://www.geocities.com/lauracapo2000/index.html
##*****************************##***************************##

Lizabeth V. Karaganis

Dec 4, 2001, 11:43:23 PM12/4/01
On Mon, 03 Dec 2001 21:27:55 -0500, laura capozzola
<laur...@erols.com> wrote:

>SusanDef wrote:
>>
>> Liz W. wrote:
>
>> > I want to see two things before the end of the season.
>> >I want to see her scared out of her mind, to the point of tears,
>> >screaming, yelling for help, running for her life, whatever. And I
>> >want to see her have an out and out yelling fight with JD where she
>> >loses her cool and gets in his face.
>>
>> I'd like to see those two go at it, too. :-)
>
>That was what was good about Doggett and Scully in the beginning
>of last season, the case arguments. It was this smoldering
>something that electrically charged the show. Then whathisname
>came back and schmooped it up and Reyes came in and looped it
>up. It lost that early S8 spark/that undercurrent between
>Doggett and Scully. The possibilities were dashed. I wouldn't
>mind seeing Doggett and Reyes go at it...but not over "talking
>about" feelings...over work stuff and who's right and who's
>wrong. Let the "feelings" percolate. See the passion in the
>eyes...
>
>Laura
>checking her butt cheek for a shipper dart... ;-D

Tell ya what, they're gonna hafta shoot a quiver full of
extra-strength arrows before I become a Dripper. As much as I *lurve*
Doggett and as much as I like Monica, I still see absolutely no
chemistry between them. Maybe a tiny flash of partner spark here and
there, but otherwise zip, zilch, zero, nada.

Lisa K.

laura capozzola

Dec 5, 2001, 8:00:20 AM12/5/01

I see Mr Follmer is back next week.

Laura

##*****************************##***************************##
Visit: "All Things Chris Carter" updated 11/18/2001
http://users.erols.com/lauracap/index.html
and

Visit: "The Many Roles of Robert Patrick" updated 12/04/2001
http://www.geocities.com/lauracapo2000/index.html
##*****************************##***************************##

Lucas

Dec 7, 2001, 12:37:18 PM12/7/01
On Mon, 03 Dec 2001 19:43:12 GMT, Jerusha <am...@cantspamme.com>
wrote:

>Overall, I liked this episode. I seem to be in the minority in that I
>enjoyed the story *and* the character interaction. I still think Monica
>and Scully need to get different hairdos so I can tell them apart in
>dark profile shots, but other than that, I thought it was very well done.

I have this sneaky suspicion that their hairdos are similar on
purpose. So that they'll start looking like the same person to
Doggett. Or maybe to have a cliffhanger where you can see a profile
but you won't know which one it is. Or Doggett won't know and he'll
have to choose one to save, and will have to rely on instinct and his
psychic abilities or something.

Cheesy, I know.

-Lucas