Q:When did you became Shipper/Noromo and why?

Starbuck

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
Since there has been a lot of discussion between Shippers and NoRomos in
this NG lately <Isn´t there always?>,I decided to put my .02 cents to this
subject.
So my question is when did you noticed that Mulder and Scully belong
together or vice versa.
I might as well answer to my own question;)

My madness started 7 months ago.I wasn´t big X-phile at the time,although I
liked the show really much.Well,I was on my Easter vacation and totally
bored.Gladly I had got my internet connection recently,although it was so
slow.
Anyway,I found an interesting(?) URL from Finnish magazine.Yes,it was
x-files related with shipper alert.Mag claimed that "If these people are
serious the world is crazier than we thought."
Because I liked X-Files I thought to visit site,in spite of the fact I
was,well,amused. I had noticed Mulder and Scully´s interesting relationship
before my *awakening*.

But when i surfed to the site,which was BTW Gertie´s Fredfarm,I totally
hooked up:)
It was so strange.My purpose had only been to check it out,and of course I
lost myself to her fanfic site.I remember thinking;"Are these people
serious,they write fan-fiction from tv-show?And they are NC-17!".That was my
last moment as unshippy person.I decided to check one of them.It was Leyla
Harrison´s "Love So Strong".
I felt like brainwashed after that.

And now Back to the Future:)

Things hasn´t changed majorly from those days,except I don´t read much
fanfics anymore and I´m not as fanatic shipper as I was by then .I have
came back to my *senses*.I know that what I´ve seen between these
characters,could be defined as Love.I just sense it.I don´t want them to
jump in bed.<umm,well maybe little;)>More than that I want they to admit the
fact that they really do have these feelings towards each other.It´s so
obvious.Logically I know they should end up together.All that UST can´t lead
to anything else.I might sound stupid,but I´ve considered this thing so
objectively as I can,and this is the conclusion I´ve ended with.
But then,CC´s logic may be different from mine.So I think I just have to
wait and see,what future brings.

~Starbuck~
*********************************
"Yksinäisyys on Valinta"
--Dana Scully,Milagro--

phoenix99

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
Starbuck asked:

> So my question is when did you noticed that Mulder and Scully belong
> together or vice versa.

I guess I'm a shipper. But that's not why I watch the show. I'm there
for the stories and the character interaction (not just S&M). I remember
watching some of the earlier episodes with my brother. I only tuned in
once and a while during seasons 1, 2, 3, and 4. I saw most of five.
But I clearly remember sitting in the movie theater, watching the
trailer for 'Fight the Future' with light interest, then seeing the
scene where they show M&S about to kiss then they cut to a new scene...
I elbowed my friend, hard, saying, "Oh man, Mulder and Scully are gonna
do It! I'm going to have to go see that."
...ok, it's pretty sad, but geez.
I didn't just go to see the 'quasi kiss' or whatever you want to call
it. I had started watching faithfully at the end of season 5. I went for
the story Dammit.

So, I guess that maybe I'm a repressed shipper.
What can I say?

-phoenix99

Supergirl0215

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
>Since there has been a lot of discussion between Shippers and NoRomos in
>this NG lately <Isn´t there always?>,I decided to put my .02 cents to this
>subject.
>So my question is when did you noticed that Mulder and Scully belong
>together or vice versa.

For me, there was never actually a day when I said, "Hey, they would make the
perfect couple!" It just kind of happened slowly. I first heard the terms
shipper and noromo, and when I found out what they meant, I was like, "hey, I'm
a shipper!" And I have been ever since.

~~~~~~~
Supergirl!
~~~~~~~

Jacki

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
I became a shipper when.....

I had known about the XF before they came on, I remember the pre-premiere
hype, but I did not have cable. I watched a few fuzzy eps at my folks house
who live far enough out to get FOX via antenna, then just gave up on it for
a while.
I think the rest of the world was in Season 2 or 3 when I stayed a weekend
babysitting for a friend who had the eps taped.

There was one ep (I have no idea which season but I think its one or two)
where M and S were in the woods and Mulder get hurt or something so Scully
drags him into her arms and Mulder says something along the lines of "But I
don't want to box right now"

That scene is what clinched it for me. My shippiness and my whole love of
the show. I didn't have cable until Season 6, the lost it again 2 weeks
before the finale, (which I got taped) but I managed to see enough of the
shows to sort of stay in touch. When grows up without cable one doesn't
easily get addicted to TV. One tends to forget its there.

Now with FX I can finally really get into it, but I'll never be able to name
eps like you guys do, not even once I have my own collection on tape, but a
shipper and phile nonetheless I am.

-- Do something *Good* for once in your life!
Go to: Http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ridge/9616
to see how you can help make Christmas a little better
for some folks that are truly worse off than you are.

Brought to you by the ever hopeful pessimist,
`ik - *It really is profound. Trust me*
Http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/5047

*Jewlzie*

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
Starbuck wrote in message ::::::

>So my question is when did you noticed that Mulder and Scully belong
>together or vice versa.

I just love testimonies!! :)

When I first started watching the X-files, I thought:: wow! that guy sure is
cute! Then as I watched more and more and really got into Scully's character
I decided that I wanted them to be together. The ep that I concluded this
from is "Darkness Falls". :) I was all atingle when Scully was being
attacked by those bugs! And the way Mulder gently touched her....

:::THUD:::

and the rest.....is history..

--
*Jewlzie*
"I need you to hold on" -Scully:6E

Molly

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
Starbuck <sanja.h...@pp.inet.fi> wrote in message

> Since there has been a lot of discussion between Shippers and NoRomos in
> this NG lately <Isn´t there always?>,I decided to put my .02 cents to this
> subject.
> So my question is when did you noticed that Mulder and Scully belong
> together or vice versa.
> I might as well answer to my own question;)

I actually don't remember when I wasn't a shipper :) However, I think what
really solidfied that it was a valid perspective was when I started reading
fan fiction two or so years ago and saw that there were a whole bunch of
people out there that saw things the way I did.
--Molly :)

GaryMele

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
I became a shipper from the minute they didn't get to kiss in FTF!:-)

Gary

Barbara Barge

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99

Starbuck <sanja.h...@pp.inet.fi> wrote:
> Since there has been a lot of discussion between Shippers and NoRomos in
> this NG lately <Isn´t there always?>,I decided to put my .02 cents to this
> subject.
> So my question is when did you noticed that Mulder and Scully belong
> together or vice versa.

I was a fencer with NoRomo tendencies until "The End". I think it was Fowley
what did it: the momente she arrived I hated her! But, still, I sat on the
fence for a few months. Then the movie came out, I went to see it, and when
I got to the almost-kiss scene I found myself thinking: "It can't happen,
it's wrong, nonono DAMN!"
I was so desappointed (and suprised)! From that very moment I had to
recognize my shipper condition. And it's nice. There's chocolate. <g>
--
Barbara Barge
XFW #1017

"Organic chemistry is the chemistry of carbon compounds.
Biochemistry is the study of carbon compounds that crawl."

Sean Carroll

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
On Fri, 12 Nov 1999 19:07:21 -0500, "Jacki" <ja...@nettally.com>
wrote:

I originally became a Noromo when I fell in love with Dana Scully, and
having many jealous issues, refused to admit the possibility of MSR.

I then became a fencer when I got so tired of arguing that I just
didn't care anymore.

Now, I'm ... what am I? I'm an Orgyist. ;P

--Sean
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shuttle/9613/
"Nenio okazas kontraux naturo. Nur kontraux tio, kion ni scias pri gxi." --Dana Scully

http://www.newsfeeds.com The Largest Usenet Servers in the World!
------== Over 73,000 Newsgroups - Including Dedicated Binaries Servers ==-----

Spooky2u2

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
Q:When did you became Shipper/Noromo and why?

I became a *big* shipper when DF came on the scene. I think CC shot himself in
the foot with that one. But I started having shippy tendencies in the middle of
season 4.
"I was just here. Where did I go?"~ Mulder

Queeqweg

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
When TXF started, I was going through a period of being scared out of
my wits by Steven King's stuff, so I wouldn't watch the show. Then, one
night about a year ago I was all alone in a hotel room that had free
tapes to watch, so I picked FTF because I had been intrigued by the
trailers of it. Well, the almost kiss did it for me as a shipper (so
for me, it was from the beginning), and made me a true blue XF fan, and
hey, I'm even thinking of reading Steven King again...

In article <ce%W3.398$0r3....@read2.inet.fi>,

"Starbuck" <sanja.h...@pp.inet.fi> wrote:
> Since there has been a lot of discussion between Shippers and NoRomos
in
> this NG lately <Isn´t there always?>,I decided to put my .02 cents to
this
> subject.
> So my question is when did you noticed that Mulder and Scully belong
> together or vice versa.

> I might as well answer to my own question;)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Cassandra

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
In article <ce%W3.398$0r3....@read2.inet.fi>, "Starbuck"
<sanja.h...@pp.inet.fi> wrote:

> So my question is when did you noticed that Mulder and Scully belong
> together or vice versa.

I thought they were great together from the beginning, but I didn't think
I had any particularly rabid thoughts on the matter -- they got together,
fine; they didn't, fine. I didn't expect anything because of CC's
protestations about them being platonic.

Then, at the end of Our Town, when Mulder rescued Scully, I surprised the
hell out of myself by screaming "KISS HER!!!" at my TV.

There was no turning back after that moment of clarity. <g>

--
Cassandra
Cults of Vince, Ioan and Ramses

"Gratuitous effects take up the space and the energy and the emotion that could be used for really important moments." -- Harrison Ford

laura capozzola

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
Starbuck wrote:

> Since there has been a lot of discussion between Shippers and NoRomos in
> this NG lately <Isn´t there always?>,I decided to put my .02 cents to this
> subject.
> So my question is when did you noticed that Mulder and Scully belong
> together or vice versa.

When it started taking over the newsgroup posts. I pretty much ignored
it in fan fiction except to make fun of it as a fan issue (not the
romance/non-romance but the emphasis put on it by fans). Before I had a
PC and I was still a devoted X-Files fan, I never even thought about the
issue at all. I lived for the conspiracy eps in the early days of the
show and the stand-alones were just good fillers until the conspiracy
eps were on. It was just a non-issue back then. I didn't feel anything
about it at all. It makes me wonder how many non-on-line people really
care about it one way or another. What I do know is that during the
hallway scene in the movie, there was dead silence in the theatre until
Scully got stung and then there was tittering. It was almost like the
issue of a romance has become more newsworthy than the actual act so
avoiding the actual kiss was in itself "the event."

Laura
##***************************##****************************##
Visit: "All Things Chris Carter" Updated 11/2/99
http://users.erols.com/lauracap/index.html with an open
letter to FOX executives and photos from the set of
"Kein Ausgang" an unaired ep of Harsh Realm.

"When a show premieres with high ratings and then those
ratings plummet, something is wrong with the show. When
audiences fail to *try* a show, it's the fault of the network.
-Me 10/26/99 -
##***************************##***************************##

Jacki

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
Sean Carroll wrote in message <382cb896...@news.phoenixat.com>...

>On Fri, 12 Nov 1999 19:07:21 -0500, "Jacki" <ja...@nettally.com>
>wrote:
>

>I originally became a Noromo when I fell in love with Dana Scully, and
>having many jealous issues, refused to admit the possibility of MSR.

Wow, I wrote that?! My therapists will be very pleased with me! ;)

XXXXgizzieXXXX

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99

laura capozzola <> wrote

>It was just a non-issue back then. I didn't feel anything
>about it at all. It makes me wonder how many non-on-line people >really
care about it one way or another.

We have a pharmacy in our store, two X-Files fans, not focused, not
on-line. We have NEVER talked to 'ship or not to 'ship.

Last week, we spent about ten minutes discussing the premiere--the woman
said "oh, man, that hospital scene, with Mulder, and Scully by the bed?
Jesus. I always knew they were in love, but that scene KILLED me"

The guy said "I saw that blurb in TV Guide, too--I'm sure you've heard
it--this kiss thing, for New Year's??" I nodded, and he continued "Are they
gonna shit or get off the pot, or what?? I'm tired of this
almost-kiss and fake kiss stuff. C'mon. They should quit playing with us."

So, there.

XXXXXXXXXXgizzieXXXXXXXXXX
"It's here...but it's over there."
"Don't get the eel."

Sean Carroll

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
On Sat, 13 Nov 1999 05:21:15 -0500, "Jacki" <ja...@nettally.com>
wrote:

>Sean Carroll wrote in message <382cb896...@news.phoenixat.com>...
>>On Fri, 12 Nov 1999 19:07:21 -0500, "Jacki" <ja...@nettally.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>I originally became a Noromo when I fell in love with Dana Scully, and
>>having many jealous issues, refused to admit the possibility of MSR.
>

>Wow, I wrote that?! My therapists will be very pleased with me! ;)

LOL ... apologies, I forgot to snip the attribution when I snipped the
quotation.

Tom Dexter

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
I became a shipper when Alex kissed Mulder. Those two sad, dark men really need
each other..... Huh? Wait....You mean Mulder and Scully??? Uh, never mind :-P

Tom

CherylDCTX

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
> Q:When did you became Shipper/Noromo and why?

It started with the "FIRE" episode in the first season. When Mulder
attempted to save the kids and sucumbed to his fear of fire, Scully was
there for him. When he woke up in his hotel room with Scully taking
care of him that started my feelings of shippiness.

Anasazi/Blessing Way/Paper Clip trilogy made me a believer.
**Life is what you make it!**
Cheryl DCTX

Supergirl0215

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
Cheryl wrote:
>Anasazi/Blessing Way/Paper Clip trilogy made me a believer.

I know what you mean! It's amazing what lengths these two will go to for
eachother, and we've seen that over and over again. It makes me proud to be a
shipper. :)

~~~~~~~
Supergirl! <-------feeling snarky-ignore anything that sounds strange :)
~~~~~~~

Circe

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
> Starbuck wrote:
> >
> > Since there has been a lot of discussion between Shippers and NoRomos in
> > this NG lately <Isn´t there always?>,I decided to put my .02 cents to this
> > subject.
> > So my question is when did you noticed that Mulder and Scully belong
> > together or vice versa.

Before I got online, it never even occurred to me that Mulder and Scully might
be in love. It never even crossed my mind. Imagine my surprise when I got online
and found out that many people thought they were. So, I went looking for
evidence of this love. Never saw it. Now, four years later, I still don't see
it. Oh, I see what shippers consider to be "shippy" moments. I, however, see
those moments as evidence of a friendship.

Then, CC started screwing around and throwing in these moments deliberately. And
I'm sorry, but they seemed forced to me and not at all true to Mulder and
Scully's relationship.

So I guess I never really "became" a noromo, I just always was one.

--
Circe XFW #32
If those were my last words, I can do better.--Fox Mulder.

Starbuck

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99

Sean Carroll <se...@kua.net> wrote:

> I originally became a Noromo when I fell in love with Dana Scully, and
> having many jealous issues, refused to admit the possibility of MSR.

Would you like to know my little secret? I have this love/hate relationship
to Fox Mulder/David Duchovny.Although I sometimes get annoyed when Mulder
ditches Scully or Duchovny gives nasty comments about Gillian I still can´t
help my admiration towards him.Maybe I´m partly shipper,because I
subconsiously imagine myself as Dana Scully and...
Now,that sounds weird even to me.
My excuse would be that I´m..exhausted.Time to go sleeping;o)

> I then became a fencer when I got so tired of arguing that I just
> didn't care anymore.
>
> Now, I'm ... what am I? I'm an Orgyist. ;P

Sure you are;o)

~Starbuck~
***********************************
"Yksinäisyys on valinta"
--Dana Scully,Milagro--

Gillian Walker

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
laura capozzola <laur...@erols.com> wrote:

> Starbuck wrote:
> >
> > Since there has been a lot of discussion between Shippers and NoRomos in
> > this NG lately <Isn´t there always?>,I decided to put my .02 cents to this
> > subject.
> > So my question is when did you noticed that Mulder and Scully belong
> > together or vice versa.
>

> When it started taking over the newsgroup posts. I pretty much ignored
> it in fan fiction except to make fun of it as a fan issue (not the
> romance/non-romance but the emphasis put on it by fans). Before I had a
> PC and I was still a devoted X-Files fan, I never even thought about the
> issue at all. I lived for the conspiracy eps in the early days of the
> show and the stand-alones were just good fillers until the conspiracy

> eps were on. It was just a non-issue back then. I didn't feel anything

> about it at all. It makes me wonder how many non-on-line people really

> care about it one way or another. What I do know is that during the
> hallway scene in the movie, there was dead silence in the theatre until
> Scully got stung and then there was tittering.

(snip)
You're kidding! I saw the film in Cuba and the audience went beserk!
Clapping hands to heads, yelling 'no!', groaning, holding heads in
hands. I know Cubans are more demonstrative than we but even so, it was
a great show of mass shipperdom - and with subtitles too.
Me - I'm a shipper and proud. Pretty much from my - ? - 2nd or 3rd
viewing? I saw the videos 1st (it's not on TV in Cuba) - so from my 2nd
or 3rd arc.
G.

Numue99

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99
<<I didn't feel anything
> about it at all. It makes me wonder how many non-on-line people really
> care about it one way or another.

This is a very good point. If TPTB are going to care about the shipper/noromo
debate at all, it will be with respect to typical viewers who don't discuss the
issue online or even know what the words "shipper" or "noromo" mean. What they
will consider is one group of viewers who might watch more regularly in order
to follow what they interpret as a developing romance, and another group who
might watch a little less regularly if the romantic stuff becomes too much of a
focus in the show. They don't care about online shippers who rapture over every
little cross-eyed look between M&S and want to see them date, or online noromos
who hate Scully and love Mulder, love Mulder and hate Scully, and/or would
rather fantasize about Mulder or Scully being romantically involved with
somebody more like them. These extreme positions probably do not figure into
their thinking at all.

> What I do know is that during the
> hallway scene in the movie, there was dead silence in the theatre until
> Scully got stung and then there was tittering.

I think it depends upon where and when you saw the movie. If it was on the
first day, when the more ardent fans were likely to be in the audience, there
would have been more of a reaction.

laura capozzola

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99
Numue99 wrote:

> > What I do know is that during the
> > hallway scene in the movie, there was dead silence in the theatre until
> > Scully got stung and then there was tittering.
>
> I think it depends upon where and when you saw the movie. If it was on the
> first day, when the more ardent fans were likely to be in the audience, there
> would have been more of a reaction.

I saw it twice on opening day, once the following day, once the next
weekend and once the next weekend after that. The tittering I actually
noticed came on Day 2 of opening weekend at a matinee and I heard it
again the following weekend. I'm certain they were tittering (not
laughing hard) because it was a "let's see how we can creatively get out
of having them kiss again" scenario during a very intense on-screen
moment. It was nervous laughter. I still think the issue of the
romance is bigger than the potential romance and once they do something
about it it will be downhill all the way. I think CC should trust his
original instincts and not be swayed by us on any XF issue.

Konrad Douglas Frye

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99
laura capozzola <laur...@erols.com> writes:

>I still think the issue of the romance is bigger than the potential
>romance and once they do something about it it will be downhill all the
>way.

It's impossible to predict what will happen with any certainty. The
quality of the writing and the acting will be the deciding factors.

Timing, as Gillian talked about in her post-FtF Toronto Star interview is
another important thing to consider.

>I think CC should trust his original instincts and not be swayed by
>us on any XF issue.

The last people he should listen to are the fans. There are so many
different opinions he'd go mad trying to sort out a story arc that
pleased everyone. Every week would be "The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie
Show" told by committee.

He should however listen to his characters (or if you prefer, his inner
Mulder and Scully). Chris's scripts make it very clear that *he* is the
one that's dragging his feet on this issue. His "original instincts" have
evolved a great deal over the years and I see no reason to fall back on
outdated characterization and ideas that no longer make any sense given
all that has transpired over the last 6 (going on 7) seasons.

------
Konrad Frye (k f r y e @ e s c a p e . c a)
"Or what? You'll release the dogs? Or the bees? Or the dogs with the
bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you?"