(OT) The Green Mile (spoiler free)

Jeff Burden

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
I just saw the Green Mile. It was an amazing movie. Stephen King's book
transferred very well to the screen. The guy who played "Tooms" in the X-Files
did a great job as Pacy in it. It was odd to see him in such a role.

It is a long movie, but well worth the three hours. Go see it as soon as you
can. It really was extraordinary.

Jeff
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
The greatest movie of all time...
The Shawshank Redemption
http://www.shawshank.org
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
This is who we are | The truth is out there

Stamp

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99

I saw it too. I really recommend it for the X-Philes. It is just our type of
movie. Very X-Files...... Doug is really great in it and almost has an
identical scene at the end to Tooms on X. Jeffrey DeMunn , Dr. Ben
Bronschweig in Fight the Future, was in it as well. I also saw the "Return
to Me" preview. David looks different, but in a good way. Different from
Mulder.

Kool Kristen

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
>I just saw the Green Mile. It was an amazing movie. Stephen King's book
>transferred very well to the screen. The guy who played "Tooms" in the
>X-Files
>did a great job as Pacy in it. It was odd to see him in such a role.
>
>It is a long movie, but well worth the three hours. Go see it as soon as you
>can. It really was extraordinary.
>
>Jeff

Wow...I've heard really mixed reviews of this movie. One critic I read HATED
it, but another said it was phenomenal. I've heard the book is amazing,
however. I'm thinking of reading it before I go to see it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Wife of Robbsie, Jewlzie, and Hobbsie!
*Samurai SMUTster STO #419+1
*XFW #419+1

Drugs may be the road to nowhere, but at least they're the scenic route.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Miss Moo

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
Tara Charnow wrote:
>On 10 Dec 1999 22:31:41 GMT, jef...@aol.com.37927 (Jeff Burden)
>wrote:

>>I just saw the Green Mile. It was an amazing movie. Stephen King's book
>>transferred very well to the screen. The guy who played "Tooms" in the
>X-Files
>>did a great job as Pacy in it.
>

>Doug Hutchison. ;-D

I just spent three hours drooling over our little Doug Hutchison. The very
last shot of him (I'll keep this spoiler free) looks very Tooms-like, but for
the rest of it I kept thinking..."he looks too *normal* to be tooms!"

Oh, and Bronschweig...aka The Man With The Three Inch Thick Eyebrows...from FTF
(Jeffrey DeMunn) was in it too. Pretty good film. The San Diego Union Tribune
gave it one star, which pretty much guarantees it'll be good. David Eliot, you
are a genius! <rolls eyes>

Marita
--
From now on, let's all be smart.

Miss Moo

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
Kool Kristen wrote:
>Wow...I've heard really mixed reviews of this movie. One critic I read HATED
>it, but another said it was phenomenal

Was the one who hated it David Elliot? Because as I implied before, he's a
flaming idiot.

bluestef

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99

Miss Moo <marit...@aol.comehither> wrote in message

: Kool Kristen wrote:
: >Wow...I've heard really mixed reviews of this movie. One critic I read
HATED
: >it, but another said it was phenomenal
:
: Was the one who hated it David Elliot? Because as I implied before, he's
: flaming idiot.
:
: Marita
: --

I think it was. Someone from San Diego reviewed it for MSNBC, and they
hated it. If it was this guy, I hope Tom Hanks snubs him next time he asks
for an interview.

--
TrueBlueStef
X-Files Whore #55

Kool Kristen

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
>Was the one who hated it David Elliot? Because as I implied before, he's a
>flaming idiot.
>
>Marita
>--

No, his name is John Ruch. His headline read "The Green Mile: Stupid or
offensive? Take your pick." and he said it "becomes a lazy blob of plot
mechanics and melodramatic formula. It contains not an ounce of real emotion,
just tacky euphemisms." and that it "dehumanizes and stereotypes..." I'm
definitely going to go see and judge for myself, but I was wondering how off
base this guy is. He seems to really hate this movie.

Annette Geremia

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
Jeff Burden wrote:

> The guy who played "Tooms" in the X-Files
> did a great job as Pacy in it.

Um, that's Percy. Percy Wetmore.

Annette

Kipler

Dec 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/12/99
<< Was the one who hated it David Elliot? Because as I implied before, he's a
flaming idiot. >>

Well, I must admit I'm not raving about the movie, either. Hope that doesn't
make me a flaming idiot. To me, "Shawshank Redemption" gave a lot of the same
twists and turns, but managed to keep mystery and suspense running until the
last minute. Halfway through TGM, I already knew where the story was going to
take me. The ending was a bit of a surprise, but I felt like the primary story
had lost momentum in the 45 minutes preceding it. And the ending after the
ending felt like a tacked-on Carterlogue to me.

All in all, a good movie and enjoyable - but flawed. I'd recommend that anyone
who hasn't seen "Shawshank" go rent that before they see TGM. Stephen King did
a lot of the same work in that piece, and IMO he did it better.

--Kipler

MLopez5385

Dec 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/12/99
I hated it too. When I go to the movies I like to either be: 1. entretained, 2.
get something from the movie that will some how change my life....

This one did either... just a waste of 3 hours.... like the Truman Show....
I just HATED that movie!!!

Miss Moo

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
Kipler wrote:
><< Was the one who hated it David Elliot? Because as I implied before, he's
>flaming idiot. >>
>
>Well, I must admit I'm not raving about the movie, either. Hope that doesn't
>make me a flaming idiot.

No, no. David Elliot was a flaming idiot long before this review. In the
paper they have a little table with the star ratings from the U-T and several
other newspapers and it's interesting to see a dog or one star from him but 3
or 4 from everyone else. Now, I know I should respect everyone's opinion, but
it seems to me that someone whose opinion's are so far off base (even from
other critics) shouldn't be published.

JMHO

Miss Moo

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
Tara Charnow wrote:
>On 11 Dec 1999 08:23:19 GMT, marit...@aol.comehither (Miss Moo)
>wrote:

>>Tara Charnow wrote:
>>>Doug Hutchison. ;-D
>>
>>I just spent three hours drooling over our little Doug Hutchison. The very
>>last shot of him (I'll keep this spoiler free) looks very Tooms-like, but
>for
>>the rest of it I kept thinking..."he looks too *normal* to be tooms!"
>
>Can't wait to see him...I mean, the *movie.* ;-P

Yeah. the best part was when he wet himself.

>>The San Diego Union Tribune
>>gave it one star, which pretty much guarantees it'll be good.
>

>Is that from one of those movie reviewers who hates movies?

Sure seems like it :P