The Unsung Authors of Fanfic

Alicia Kamenick

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
Okay. In a meager effort to draw attention away from the fiasco that
was this weekend's favorite topic of posting, let's try this: who are
the authors, or stories that you've really loved? Now, many, many of us
have our standard list of faves -- the ones that are pretty universally
loved and raved about.

Let's bring up those stories or authors that don't get a lot of
mentions, or recommendations, or picks.

I've really liked...

..."Gris Gris" by Nicola Simpson (on Gossamer, I believe) A New Orleans
voodoo case with lots of delish UST.
..."Alter Ego" by CleverGrrl A M/S switch with GA/DD story. Kind of a
toucy subject, but a very clever story. No actors or characters were
harmed in its duration.
..."Anamorphosis" by Megan Reilly. A fascinating, dark "what if" story
revolving around Scully's childhood.
..."Any Means Necessary" by Ophelia. I don't think Ophelia gets
mentioned enough. Every story I've read by her is excellent. But this
particular one had the best portrayal of the M/S relationship I think
I've ever encountered.
..."Birth:Ocean" by JenRose. A beautifully written Scully-in-labor
fic.
..."A Bitter Taste on the Tongue" by Jane Mortimer. This was one of the
first ones I ever read. Angst-o-rama!
..."Rumination on Dead Cows" by Lilith. Scully angst and ranting while
on a case with Mulder and Fowley.
..."Second Skin Satin" by Kim Berglund. Looking for a smut fix? Go to
Gossamer and dig up this oldie. Rawr.
..."Sledgehammer" by JC Roberts. I'm fairly new to the ng, and maybe
this has already been raved about. If you've already read it, email the
author and say "More! More!"
..."Venture Forth" by Punk Manueverability. I know a lot of people see
the words "Mulder/Other" and run screaming into the night, but the Other
was such a great character, I actually didn't care. And I'm a
*shipper*! :)

Long list, I know. Would anybody like to add to it?

Alicia K.
Who is carefully checking over this email before hitting "send" ...
hmmmm..... okay, this one's okay to go!

EPurSeMouve

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
Ooh boy - I'm first!

Someone who's kinda faded into the past is Syn, whose "Empathy" STILL
gets me crying, and whose "Road to Cucamunga" STILL makes me laugh, even
though I've read each hundreds of times.

So: I rec Syn's stuff (don't know the website addy), especially
"Empathy" and "Road to Cucamunga." Hope you enjoy!

EPur
PS - does anyone know what happened to her? Is she maybe going to post
again someday?

--
Even so, it does move... http://mypage.goplay.com/epursemouve/
"An extravagance is something your spirit thinks is necessary."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

CiCi Lean2

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
>Okay. In a meager effort to draw attention away from the fiasco that
>was this weekend's favorite topic of posting, let's try this: who are
>the authors, or stories that you've really loved? Now, many, many of us
>have our standard list of faves -- the ones that are pretty universally
>loved and raved about.
>
>Let's bring up those stories or authors that don't get a lot of
>mentions, or recommendations, or picks.

Anything by Westshore, Meredith, Roses Decay, Amanda Finch, CazQ,
Halrloprillar, Ethan Nelson, Merri Todd Webster, Abree Brand, LadyFox and
Alexandra Nigro.

"Queequag Gets Even" by Laura Maher, "The Box" by GirlGone, "True Lies" by
Paige
"Tiloc's Time" by Finn, "Mindless" by Beatrice, "Solace of Suffering" by Cleo
Astor (slash), "The Escape" by Patty Hayes.

Check out the work of many of the "Angst-addicts" such as wen, Laura,
Luperakal, and E Whipple.

Anything by my past & present co-writers Allison Reardon, LabRatCult, Alicia,
and Te.

Everything else my slow brain has forgotten can be found here:

CiCi Lean's XFFanfic Picks Page
http://www.geocities.com/soho/workshop/3293/picks.html

CiCi :-)
The Circle of CiCi
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Workshop/3293/index.html

Maureen O'Brien

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
"Speakin' in general, I 'ave tried 'em all...
Speakin' in general, I 'ave found them good...."

Some of the script-format fanfic is quite good. I'm thinking especially
of LoneGunGuy's kabbala/Holocaust story "Diaspora". He's written a lot
of darned good, darned weird stuff.
http://members.aol.com/lonegunguy/x-files.html

XmagicalX never wrote anything bad. My favorites are the Horizons
novels, but "In the End" is the best Highlander/XF crossover ever, IMO
(and there's some stiff competition in _that_ category!), while "Wheels
of Iscariot", "Nor Iron Bars a Cage", and "In the Night Dreaming", are
all exceptional fics. Too bad she's just writing Sentinel fic now....
http://www.fortunecity.com/lavendar/casablanca/479/xfilesfic.htm

Hmmm. Most of the other people I'm thinking of are kinda sung, like
Loligo and Thomas Hearn and Erin McCole Cupp and so on. Soooooo I'll
sit back and see what other folks come up with. There's so many!

"It's like a book, I think, this bloomin' world,
Which you can read and care for just so long,
But presently, you feel that you will die
Unless you get the page you're reading done,
An' turn another -- likely not so good,
But what you're after is to turn 'em all.

Gawd bless this world! Whatever she 'ath done --
Excep' when awful long -- I've found it good."

Maureen
"So write, before I die, " 'E liked it all!" "
--"Sestina of the Tramp-Royal", Kipling

pat...@my-deja.com

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
In article <7je86a$3...@newsops.execpc.com>,

Alicia Kamenick <spar...@execpc.com> wrote:
> Let's bring up those stories or authors that don't get a lot of
> mentions, or recommendations, or picks.

I don't know whether she's unsung or not. The only place I've seen her
work listed is at Autoerotic Asphyxiation. But I really like Cynthia
Johnson's stories, esp. Tyger, Tyger. It's an MSR that has a dream-like
quality. Very unusual. I get the feeling it's an oldie, but no date, so
I'm not sure. Also, as far as I can tell her e-mail addy is invalid.

Pat

Alicia Kamenick

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99

CiCi Lean2 wrote:

> Anything by Westshore,

Ooh! Yeah! I used the Chronicle X "Lost and Found" to track down "The Poe
Mountain Horror" and "Carol Lee", both of which ROCKED! They're both at EMXC, I
believe.

> Meredith, Roses Decay, Amanda Finch, CazQ,
> Halrloprillar, Ethan Nelson, Merri Todd Webster,

Yeah to Merri Todd, too! And CazQ! And... and... (stops to breathe into paper
bag) Meredith and Amanda Finch... Yeeee!

Alicia K.

KGlover602

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
Alicia said:

>Okay. In a meager effort to draw attention away from the fiasco that
>was this weekend's favorite topic of posting, let's try this: who are
>the authors, or stories that you've really loved?

While I missed the fiasco, having sweat my brains out at the "Race For The
Cure", I would like to mention an author I love.

Anyone brave enough to dive into Character/Other for some really intense
storytelling should read "Purple" by JourneyToX. I've probably held in up in
other "rec" threads, but it bears repeating. Kim's drawn an original character
that stands up to anything in published fiction.

It *is* a WIP, so if you read it and love it, tell her. Or nag her. Or whine,
beg, whimper, plead, and cajole. Possibly bribe (she loves something called
Fat Tire Beer). But if you want to stalk her, see me. I'll let you know when
we have holes in the schedule that need covering.

Katrina

WPAdmirer

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
>Anyone brave enough to dive into Character/Other for some really intense
>storytelling should read "Purple" by JourneyToX.

Definitely one that's a don't miss. She also wrote a wonderful story calle
Rosemary for Remembrance (I think that's the title) that is just flat amazing.
One of the best things I've ever read in fanfic.

I also have to say that Ophelia Mac is not recognized enough. She's written
some wonderful stuff, including a Skinner/Scully that takes place in New
Orleans that is lovely.

In the slash category I'm very fond of m.butterfly's Skinner stories, and mik
(a very new writer whose work has been posted by frogdoggie on some mail lists)
does some really excellent Skinner/Mulder.

For threesomes you can't beat Twisted Sister whose work can be found on
Xanthe's site under the "other authors."

I also greatly admire Sergeeva's Skinner fic.

I could go on. There are a lot of writers who do excellent work who are not
noticed by the rank and file. Part of it may be that they're not focused on
Mulder/Scully, though many of them include either one, the other, or both in
the story.

WP

MHWoman

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
>..."Anamorphosis" by Megan Reilly. A fascinating, dark "what if" story

I second this recommendation. After I read it, I could not believe that no
one had ever suggested it. I mean, if you can't deal with dark, Scully-angst
I'd understand, but anyone who lived through Iolokus could live through this
story.

Tiffany M.- proudly showing off her battle scars

Khyber

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
Personally, I don't think Morgan Bowman gets nearly the recognition
she deserves, though she does belong to the Cult of Writing Really
Slow (Khyber waves his membership card and gives a big shout-out to
his homies Morgan, Rachel and Sharon). I know people like her stuff
but you don't hear her name very often--it may be because she's rather
reclusive :)

"The Last Gift" is one of the best fics I have ever read, quite
frankly.

Her page is at http://members.tripod.com/~promise64

Note: Morgan is very definitely a shippy writer.

I also can't recommend enough a writer named Alloway, who is, um, uh,
I just don't even know where to start on how good s/he/they are/were.
As near as I can tell Alloway has retired, or is just exceptionally
bad at answering email. Terma99 has some Alloway on her page, or
search Gossamer. Her/his stuff is more or less Noromo safe, unless
you're so virulent that you, say, cheered after "One Son."

Also check out another non-prolific writer, Ravenscion, who is
responsible for the absolutely wrenching "14th Of February" and a
darned good and rather ambitious novel called "Rongbuk." Her/his page
is at:

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dunes/6767

Ravenscion is definitely an MSR author, though "14th of Feb" will
probably be appreciated by most audiences.

These are just a couple of suggestions...

Khyber

SuperJame

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
< let's try this: who are the authors, or stories that you've really loved?>

I like this topic a LOT better, Alicia.

<Let's bring up those stories or authors that don't get a lot of mentions, or
recommendations, or picks.>

A terrific idea (thanks for mentioning Sledgehammer, btw).

Some of my favorites:

Alicia's "Seeds." Is Mulder's oral fixation the thing we love most about him?
Maybe....

"Luminaries: Nothing Burns" by Shirley Writnwoeft. A wracking, yet sensual
response to Emily.

"Visceral" by Danielle. Post Elegy. Powerful, erotic, ultimately hopeful.

"Adios," by Pendgirl. A cancer-stricken Scully, hopped up on all kinds of
pain-killing drugs, writes a nasty letter to her partner. Very funny.

"Where Do We Go From Here?" By Stephanie Kramer.

Some of the 155 words or less stories were hysterical, and deserve a special
mention, I think.

Jamie
Who's just a little troubled that all of her favorites are NC-17.

Alicia Kamenick

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
Those two are in my little collection, too. And don't forget "Joy" by Syn!
Alicia K.

EPurSeMouve wrote:

> Ooh boy - I'm first!
>
> Someone who's kinda faded into the past is Syn, whose "Empathy" STILL
> gets me crying, and whose "Road to Cucamunga" STILL makes me laugh, even
> though I've read each hundreds of times.
>
> So: I rec Syn's stuff (don't know the website addy), especially
> "Empathy" and "Road to Cucamunga." Hope you enjoy!
>
> EPur
> PS - does anyone know what happened to her? Is she maybe going to post
> again someday?
>
> --
> Even so, it does move... http://mypage.goplay.com/epursemouve/
> "An extravagance is something your spirit thinks is necessary."
> --Bern Williams

Loligo Opalescens

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
EPurSeMouve <epurs...@goplay.com> wrote:

>So: I rec Syn's stuff (don't know the website addy), especially
>"Empathy" and "Road to Cucamunga." Hope you enjoy!

And while we're talking about good authors who seem to have
disappeared, what ever happened to Brinson?

L.O.

CazQ

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
Alicia K wrote:
>Yeah to Merri Todd, too! And CazQ! And... and... (stops to breathe into
paper
>bag) Meredith and Amanda Finch... Yeeee!

Ladies, ladies...deep breaths now, Alicia ;)...you're so cute :). Now *I*
wanna play...

Unsung great stuff? This is where I find out everyone else in atxc knows all
about these authors/stories already, but hey...

'Soap And Eggs' by EPurSeMouve (angsty MSR all over the shop <g>!!)

'A Few Bright Daffodils' by becca (angst-o-rama, but gorgeous)

'The Sea Parted' by wen (yeah, you guessed it...look, I just watched
Gethsemane again today, and then cried over 'E.T. later. I'm in touch with
my inner angst addict right now...)

*Anything* by Jesemie's Evil Twin, especially 'Windows' (I got sniffly
reading that one)

'The Sexually Repressed Guide To Defining Forever' by Trixie, hysterically
funny *and* great, hot MSR (yeah, I do have a lighter side, so there :P).

I was right, wasn't I? You're all gonna laugh and point and say "You thought
we didn't know about those? *Everyone* knows about those..." ;)

Who cares, this is fun! Next up to the plate...?

CazQ

"Ohnosecond: that minuscule fraction of time in which you
realise you've made a *really* big mistake..."
Press Any Key's New Words For The 90s

The divine Stuart made me a webpage! Let me tell
you a story at:
http://www.beansburn.demon.co.uk/paradox/caz/

CazQ

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
WPAdmirer wrote:
>Definitely one that's a don't miss. She also wrote a wonderful story calle
>Rosemary for Remembrance (I think that's the title) that is just flat
amazing.
>One of the best things I've ever read in fanfic.

Ooh, ooh <raises hand> can I second, third and fourth that <g>? Yup, it is
'Rosemary For Remembrance', and it's *searing*. Left me feeling like I'd
been punched in the gut (this is a *good* thing, btw <g>). Knocked me for
six, that one.

CiCi Lean2

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
EPur and Alicia ask:

>Those two are in my little collection, too. And don't forget "Joy" by Syn!
>Alicia K.
>
>EPurSeMouve wrote:
>
>> Ooh boy - I'm first!
>>
>> Someone who's kinda faded into the past is Syn, whose "Empathy" STILL
>> gets me crying, and whose "Road to Cucamunga" STILL makes me laugh, even
>> though I've read each hundreds of times.
>>

>> So: I rec Syn's stuff (don't know the website addy), especially
>> "Empathy" and "Road to Cucamunga." Hope you enjoy!
>>

>> EPur
>> PS - does anyone know what happened to her? Is she maybe going to post
>> again someday?

Uh...

<blushing furiously>

"syn" is one of my many pseudonyms or pen names. She sort of faded away when I
got thrown off my ISP by some kind person right after I posted "Breathe For
Two."

But, I *am* actually working on Chapter Two of "Lightning Strikes" and a sequel
to "Locusts."

It just was hard to get back into after that very stressful and disillusioning
period. :-(

You can find all of "syn's" work linked here:

The Circle of CiCi
http://www.geocities.com/soho/workshop/3293/index.html

CiCi Lean
(blushing and running off now...)

WickdZoot

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
Well, I'm not sure. Brinson was a young writer, and about the time she got
done posting her wonderful Pendyfic on XAPEN--dark, noir and so damned good I
was eating my liver--(I was only joking when I suggested we lock her up in a
cage until we were dead), someone on Friday Feedback got really nasty about
Pendrell fic, and I haven't seen anything from Brinson since.

Whether there is a cause and effect, you decide, but I have to wonder.

And Brinson, where ever you are, I'm still eating my liver, you're a dynamite
writer and better than people twice and thrice your age, some of whom are
published.

zoot

...[It's] a simply Gothic little place consisting of three of borderline
personalities, a trailer park sophist, a dyslexic and two old dykes
struggling not to pop out of their bondage gear...
The Marquise De Lean

WickdZoot

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
Okay, I've seen some good ones here, and despite Spookiness, I think Justin
Glasser is amazingly undersung and overlooked.

I'd add Meg, but she's now got a well deserved following, but let me throw in
Barbara Driscoll, who may already have one of her own, too, and I just haven't
noticed.

MJ, who is dynamite, and does a great Scully, to boot, one of few slash writers
who does.

I k now there are more, and I'll think of 'em when I recover from 30 minutes of
Nordic Track.

WickdZoot

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
Ack, of course, Ms. Brooklyn, whose return of Ellen Feldman is great, rioting
fun, and JiM, whose stories are also right on target.

God, I know I'm forgetting tons more.....

zoot, who has to drink more caffeine

l...@portal.ca

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
On Sun, 06 Jun 1999 11:28:38 -0500, Alicia Kamenick
<spar...@execpc.com> wrote:

>Okay. In a meager effort to draw attention away from the fiasco that

>was this weekend's favorite topic of posting, let's try this: who are
>the authors, or stories that you've really loved? Now, many, many of us
>have our standard list of faves -- the ones that are pretty universally
>loved and raved about.

These days the unsung fanfic writers are often those belonging to what
could be termed the Old Guard. People who were writing fanfic three
or four (or more) years ago but who have either moved on to other
things or are taking a wee break from fanfic. (ie. Sheryl Clay, Tish
Sears, Eleanore, Juliettt, Kelly Rocherolle, Nicola Simpson and many
others...)

Don't get me wrong, there are many new writers whose work I enjoy but
I don't like to forget those who paved the way.

Leslie

Scullysfan

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
>But, I *am* actually working on Chapter Two of "Lightning Strikes" and a
>sequel
>to "Locusts."

Ooo! What a lovely little nugget of good news! Yay!

Shari
"To everything there is a season and a time to every spoon under heaven."
20th-Century Spooning Anthem

Visit Chronicle X
http://members.aol.com/danascu11y/chronx.html
(those are "ones" not "L"s in danascu11y)

Scullysfan

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
>Barbara Driscoll, who may already have one of her own, too, and I just
>haven't
>noticed.

::::raises hand::::: Devoted Barbara D. follower who's consistently agog
(*love* that word) at Barbara's ability to write M&S dialogue. I'd give up
some largely unnecessary body part to be half as good at that.

SuperJame

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
Oh, and "Desire is Suffering," By Darwin. A great read!

Teddi Litman

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99

CiCi Lean2 wrote:

> But, I *am* actually working on Chapter Two of "Lightning Strikes" and a sequel
> to "Locusts."

A sequel to "Locusts"?! Cool! Now I'm excited!

I tend to be very slow on these things; but it did take me a very long time to
realize "syn" was CiCi. I think I just happened to be wandering around her site
and noticed there were links to both fanfic by DBKate and syn. I previously
knew DBKate was CiCi, so when I finally made the connection, it was like
"Duh!"

Anyway, I wholeheartedly recommend "Locusts." It is one of my favorites.
Teddi

WickdZoot

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
Well, I can tell you what works for me when I want her to finish something.

I write her Pendyfic.

Or Socks.

Bribery is a highly underrated method of getting your favorite writers to
write. I learned this while co-writing Playing for Keeps. I had a major story
that mostly took shape while we were finishing that up. <vbeg>

zoot

WickdZoot

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
I'll second Michael Aulfrey for sure. His stories, all his stories, have a
creepy, X files feel to them, while maintaining the friendship that Mulder and
Scully established at the outset. Good fun stuff.

l...@portal.ca

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
On Sun, 06 Jun 1999 15:13:47 -0800, mabtng**@mindspring.com (mabtng)
wrote:

>send e-mail replies to mab...@mindspring.com

>Bluebird's "Hunter" -- The unfinished WIP classic that still makes me wish
>she'd finish it! If nothing else, it's compelling and worth the read to
>see how well written fanfic can be.

Agreed. My favorite unfinished WIP to date. Talk about story
interuptus...very frustrating. As I recall she went to get married
then didn't come back to the world of fanfic.

Leslie

Alicia Kamenick

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99

Damn, CiCi! Is there anything you *don't* do?

Besides windows? :)

Alicia K.

> Uh...
>
> <blushing furiously>
>
> "syn" is one of my many pseudonyms or pen names. She sort of faded away when I
> got thrown off my ISP by some kind person right after I posted "Breathe For
> Two."
>

> But, I *am* actually working on Chapter Two of "Lightning Strikes" and a sequel
> to "Locusts."

Alicia Kamenick

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99

Khyber wrote:

> "The Last Gift" is one of the best fics I have ever read, quite
> frankly.

Another one in my laaaaarrrrrge bunch of saved fics.

> Also check out another non-prolific writer, Ravenscion, who is
> responsible for the absolutely wrenching "14th Of February" and a
> darned good and rather ambitious novel called "Rongbuk." Her/his page
> is at:

"14th of February" is one of the few fanfics that has the distinction of
making me cry. Loved it!

Alicia K.
Whee! This is fun! :)

Alicia Kamenick

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99

l...@portal.ca wrote:

> Don't get me wrong, there are many new writers whose work I enjoy but
> I don't like to forget those who paved the way.

Does anyone know what happened to Leyla Harrison? I thought "Tightrope" was
the best thing she'd written. It wasn't like her others -- it wasn't an
MSR. *gasp!*

And I really wish Lydia Bower would return to us.

Please?

Alicia K.

> Leslie

EvieOCon

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
I like the Wish Upon a Star series by Kathy
U guys know which one I mean?

Well, read it if you haven't, it's a cute MSR downtime fic. It's here.
http://members.tripod.com/chellemo/fxfiles.html

Starliee

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
Hmm..my favorites...mine are mostly from when I was really into XF fanfic; mid
96 to 97. I think I read almost everything in gossamer at that period in time
*L* (not to mention I nearly had a heart attack when Vincent's gossamer
archive closed...good thing the Gossamer Project had begun!)

The Five and The Five II, by Somebody Else (Of course, I remember when it was
originally posted under the author's true name..sadly, someone had swiped part
of his story without permission and from what I understand, used it completely
out of context....I truely wish he would write more.)

Oklahoma and Camping by Amperage and Livengoo

and for something hilarious..Colors, by Livengoo & MonkeyBoy & YouKneek &
Amperage

Therapy I, II, III, The Woods, Sacrifice, by Amperage

Corpse, Leave of Abscence by Livengoo

Death Will Be Our Darling by Deborah Goldstein (if you're still out
there...please write more?)

The Magician I, II, III, and IV by Suzanne Bickerstaff and Jennifer Lyon

there are many others I have loved; but it's hard to recall all of the titles
and authors. To all those who put their heart and free time into any Fanfic, a
hearty thank you from an avid reader.

SuperJame

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
Are there some good funny fanfics y'all can recommend. They're exceedingly hard
to write, I know. But fun to read.

Alicia Kamenick

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99

mabtng wrote:

> Back in the days before we had a "real" Gossamer...when we had that lovely
> ftp or you had to make sure you got every post off of the newsgroup or
> you'd miss part of a story....

So are these not on Gossamer, then? And if not, where can one find these
little jewels?

> Missy Pennington's "Tempest" -- M&S battling nature after a plane crash.
> Also has one of my all-time favorite fanfic lines (I'll let you find it
> for yourself).

I'm just so glad she finally finished it! I looooooved the final chapter.
Yummy!

You can't get rid of me now! Ha haaaaaaaaaa! ;)
Alicia K.

bickeldc

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99

SuperJame wrote:

> Are there some good funny fanfics y'all can recommend. They're exceedingly hard
> to write, I know. But fun to read.

Since you've probably already read the more well-known
ones, I'll recommend something offbeat, "The Light
in the Tower at Mulder Manor." It's a humorous MSR
written in the style of someone of Jane Austen's
era. There's no author's name on it, but I found it on
Lisby's "IMHO" site before, in her recommended stories.

Here's a little piece of it:

"CH. 1: IN WHICH WE ARE INTRODUCED TO MISS DANA
SCULLY, FRIENDLESS ORPHAN; ARE SUBJECTED TO AN
INTERMINABLE FLASHBACK, AND SEE HER JOURNEY TO
HER NEW PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT INEXPLICABLY
INTERRUPTED BY A LARGE, GLOWING DISK"

No, the whole story isn't in caps, just the chapter headings!

-Cathy
happy to be in a more pleasant thread!

bickeldc

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
I looked again, and there are two author's names at the
end of it: Peni Griffin and Devi XF. There aren't any
e-mail addresses for them, though, and it was written
waaay back in 1996.

-Cathy

Alicia Kamenick

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99

EvieOCon wrote:

> I like the Wish Upon a Star series by Kathy
> U guys know which one I mean?

Nope! Clue us in as to where to find it, please. Thank you so kindly! I'd
hate for a decent fanfic to pass me by...

Alicia K.

Alicia Kamenick

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99

SuperJame wrote:

> Are there some good funny fanfics y'all can recommend. They're exceedingly hard
> to write, I know. But fun to read.

You've gotta love a good funny-bone tickle.Try these...
"Mr. Natural" by CiCi Lean
"Cattle Chutes" by Dark Nascent (It's totally sick. I love it.)
"The Titanic Files" by RJ Christen. Ok -- hear me out on this one. It's on
Gossamer (I think), and I found it to be very funny. Maybe it was due to the early
hour and the fact that I was trying to cover my laughter in light of the fact that
I was reading it in my cubicle at work. It includes subliminal messages, and Mulder
with a Leonardo DiCaprio haircut. Now tell me that's *not* funny!
"Spotless" I think that's CiCi again. Hm... the more I think of it, the more I
think CiCi is a government conspiracy. The woman can write *anything*. And heck
-- she does!

I just know I'll think of about five more after I send this.
Alicia K.

Alicia Kamenick

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99

MaraKara wrote:

> Missing Voices, a season 4 hiatus story by Joyce McKibben, Meredith and MC
> Akimoto is one of my favorites.

Anyone know if MC Akimoto is still writing? She/He had some great stories.Alicia K.

> MD1016's Jasper's Last Thought is one of the most original stories I've read in
> a long time. MD's Teetering is just amazing.

I have to second that. I'm doing a lot of seconding today. Picture me, way in the
back, sticking my hand in the air and piping up, "Ooh! Me too!"

Alicia K.

> Take Care
> Mara
> ---------
> "Do you believe in the afterlife?"
> "I'd settle for a life in this one."
> ----------
> "I'm not gonna waste the perfect comeback on you now. But don't think I don't
> have it. Oh yes, its time will come!
> ----------
> Fire bad, tree pretty.

Ambress

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99

LaLizWoman wrote in message
<19990606224808...@ng-ca1.aol.com>...

><<<Missing Voices, a season 4 hiatus story by Joyce McKibben, Meredith and
MC
>Akimoto is one of my favorites.>>>>
>
>MCA is one of my favourite in fic world. I sure wish she wrote more.

MCA is MC Akimoto? Wow. Learn something new everyday.

Thanks.

Ambress

Binah

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99

Alicia Kamenick <spar...@execpc.com> wrote in message
.

> Let's bring up those stories or authors that don't get a lot of
> mentions, or recommendations, or picks.

I was going to mention "The Forgotten Ones" by Deborah Wells, but it looks
like she's removed her stories from the annex. I knew she'd taken them off
Gossamer. This is disappointing. I should have saved it on my computer.
Sigh.

Don't you hate it when that happens? Luckily the last time I moaned about
something like this, "The Five" got re-archived with pseudonym.

I know she writes Star Trek fanfic too. I think I may start a search to beg
her to let me have a copy of her XF fanfic. Wish me luck! :-)

Binah
Texas Gal Extraordinaire
XFW#1013

Alicia Kamenick

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99

SuperJame wrote:

> Are there some good funny fanfics y'all can recommend. They're exceedingly hard
> to write, I know. But fun to read.

Okay, I did a little research ... (yeah, so I keep track of what I read. Ya wanna
make somethin' of it?) ... and here's some more.--"Cosmopolitan Life" by ? The
kicker is at the end!
--"Devil's Jukebox" by Susanne Barringer
--"Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" by Red Valerian. How can you pass up Mulder in
lederhosen?
--"Dreamland" by Megan Reilly. Area 51, Stupendous Yappi, and Skinner in an Elvis
costume. 'Nuff said.
--"Dynamic Duo" by RivkaT. Yes, RivkaT. The woman is not as dark as you might
think.
--"F is For Fluoxetine" by Dasha K.
--"The Fox Mulder Estrogen Brigade" by ... I think by Gwendolyn
--"A Hacker's Tale" by Madeleine Partous
--"Heterosexual Male" by ? Possibly the only Spender/Bill Jr. fic out there. And
rightly so.
--"Inherently Given" by ? Mulder pregnant. The Lone Gunmen as bridesmaids.
--The "Iolokus" holiday stories by RivkaT and Mustang Sally.
--"Mighty Workings" by Plausible Deniability
--"Mulder, It's May" by Nascent
--"Oh, I Forgot To Tell You - Mulder Called" by Laura Blaurosen
--"The Plankton Adventure" by ? Reversal of "War of the Carpophages"
--"Recycled Virgins" by Kell
--"Retribution" by Windle Poons
--"Wonderland" by CiCi Lean

Okay. That's it. I swear.

Well, for humor, anyway.

Alicia K.

Alicia Kamenick

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
Man, I really need to go to bed, but I have to list some more first.

Anything by A.I. Irving. Most people have read "The Actor" and "Cry of the Truth",
but everything else she's written is great. I fear that she's abandoned her WIP,
however.

Maureen B. Ocks. Great story, and probably the most clever pen name I've seen.

"Go Be" by Amy Seymour. What if Scully took some time to go be a doctor after the
movie? And what if a fellow doctor developed an enormous crush on her? Then what
if he told the story from his POV? Well, then you get a cool story.

"I Have Known a Boy Named Fox and a Man Named Mulder" by Penny Daza. I really odd
subject, tackled very well by Penny.

"The Lottery" by Rebecca Rusnak. Based on another short story. Very creepy.

"Nowhere to Hide" by Deb Prewitt. The return of one Donald Pfaster. Eew, very
creepy and really good.

And, last (and definitely not least)
"Playing For Keeps" by Youkneek and Bliss. Hey! You guys ever going to finish
this awesome story, or what? Oh, please please please please.... loved it!

Good night, all!
Alicia K.

Barbara D.

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
<<Are there some good funny fanfics y'all can recommend. They're
exceedingly hard to write, I know. But fun to read.>>

If you like your humor dark, try zoot's "Bad Maggie Scully" stories, and
plausible deniability's "Habeus Corpus", evil gems both.

Barbara D., still laughing

Barbara D.

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99

Barbara D.

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99

Windle Poons

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
At the risk of making this thread look like a gathering of The CazQ Fan
Club, I must add my voice to those praising her work. I wasn't heavily
into spoony/romantic/MSR stuff until I read some of her stories.

I have loads of other faves, but we're sticking to people who don't get
much mention, right?

Lacadiva. Far and away she comes closest to achieving the spooky mood
of an episode in her stories than anything else I've read. I thoroughly
recommend "Type 52".

Lastly, reading Heather Scotland's humorous stories gave me the bottle
to try my hand at XF parody. (Along with some kind words of
encouragement from the lady herself.) Her Alphabet series is a hoot.

--
Windle Poons.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

CiCi Lean2

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
>Damn, CiCi! Is there anything you *don't* do?
>
>Besides windows? :)
>
>Alicia K.

Um. Eat sardines. Won't touch 'em.

Can't even be in the same room with 'em.

Nothing personal against sardines or their lovers of course.

CiCi
("PC" as always.... <eg>)

Windle Poons

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
CiCi Lean2 wrote:

> Nothing personal against sardines or their lovers of course.

I must confess, I too have never been a sardine lover.

Eaten a fair few in my time, though...

H. Chan

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99

bickeldc wrote in message <375B1848...@erolsNOSPAM.com>...
:
:
:SuperJame wrote:
:
[...]

Its original site is http://www.txdirect.net/users/griffin/0xfiles.htm.
Scroll down for the zipped story.

Saresha

MaraKara

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
CiCi advises:

>But, I *am* actually working on Chapter Two of "Lightning Strikes" and a
>sequel
>to "Locusts."

Yah!

I loved Locusts. If you all haven't read that one, it is really good.
Mulderangst, Scullyangst, Scully family angst and a great conspiracy mytharc
idea.

MaraKara

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Alicia has a great idea:

>Let's bring up those stories or authors that don't get a lot of
>mentions, or recommendations, or picks.

Others have mentioned WestShore but she is worthy of at least another mention.
CarolLee, Poe Mountain Horror and Specimen 51 all have some of the most
original villians and good guys around.

LuvMulder's Renewal/Fortune's Legacy and new WiP Brother's Keeper are all
fabulous.

Suzanne Bickerstaffe doesn't get the attention she richly deserves. Spooked
and Faith are two of the best season 4 stories around.

Anything that comes by from Suzanne Schramm is well worth reading.

Sue Esty's Revelations and All Hallow's Eve series get a lot of attention and
they should but I'm partial to some of Sue's other work, Carnival Dark Carnival
Light and Angels Can Be Jealous Too are great.

Missing Voices, a season 4 hiatus story by Joyce McKibben, Meredith and MC
Akimoto is one of my favorites.

MD1016's Jasper's Last Thought is one of the most original stories I've read in

a long time. MD's Teetering is just amazing.

Take Care

SuperJame

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
<MD's Teetering is just amazing.>

Yes it way. So was Jasper's Last Thought, which you also mentioned.

WickdZoot

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Ooooh, definitely. Westshore and LuvMulder's fiction, you can't go wrong
reading.

And Miki Akimoto's fiction is outstanding, she's got some absolutely fabulous
stuff with great character angst.

JC Sun, too, while I'm having my memory jarred, just anything by JC is
fabulous.

I dunno if Patti Murphy is still out there writing, but I liked her stories a
great deal, too, and they can still be found on Gossamer.

LoneGunGuy, which someone has mentioned, wrote the first Homicide crossover
that I'm aware of, April is the Cruelest Month, and it was sooooo damned good.

zoot, going off to finish up Minnesota's last weird bits.

...[It's] a simply Gothic little place consisting of three of borderline
personalities, a trailer park sophist, a dyslexic and two old dykes
struggling not to pop out of their bondage gear...
The Marquise De Lean

WickdZoot

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Oh, what the hell, I have a lot of unsung authors, some of which I've
mentioned, some of which I haven't, listed at:

http://members.aol.com/wickdzoot/picks.htm

zoot

The lud

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
>Does anyone know what happened to Leyla Harrison? I thought "Tightrope" was
>the best thing she'd written. It wasn't like her others -- it wasn't an
>MSR. *gasp!*

Unfortunately for the fanfic world, Leyla retired. I'm still recovering.
::sob:: I miss her words.

For a wonderfully angsty MSR - check out Ginef's "The Field Where" series.
Yummy!

I also adore "Nightscape" by Kristel Oxley-St.Johns - a sequel to Anne Haynes'
12 Degrees series.

Lisa

WickdZoot

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
>And, last (and definitely not least)
>"Playing For Keeps" by Youkneek and Bliss. Hey! You guys ever going to
>finish
>this awesome story, or what? Oh, please please please please.... loved it!

Oh, wow, sank you muchly. I will draw Youkneek's attention here.....

But as far as I know, we're still planning to finish it when RL permits. We've
gotten as far as the timeline outline thingie.

Binah

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99

LaLizWoman <laliz...@aol.com> wrote in
> Binah, you could try a search on DejaNews. If she ever posted that story
> the newsgroup, it would show up, no matter how long ago it was written,
unless
> she has asked it be removed from the archives.

It's there, as well as "EXILE" and "Walking the Cage". I also just had a
wonderful person tell me where I could find "Forgotten Ones" and
"Walking..." on a webpage. Whew! Saved me time of piecing it together. I
just got a new computer, so I'm going to be devoting more space to saving
fanfic. With only one more year of the show to go, I have a feeling in the
years ahead we'll have more authors trying to remove their fanfic as well as
fewer and fewer archives.

Damn, I'm depressing myself. Lesson of the day: Save what you can, and
enjoy it in the years to come.

The lud

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99

>Anyone know if MC Akimoto is still writing? She/He had some great
>stories.Alicia K.

::pssst:::Check under MCA...and ixnay on using the name - she's the artist
formerly known as....heehee

Lisa

XShipRachj

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
EvieOCon wrote:

> I like the Wish Upon a Star series by Kathy
> U guys know which one I mean?

Nope! Clue us in as to where to find it, please. Thank you so kindly! I'd
hate for a decent fanfic to pass me by...

Alicia K.

> Well, read it if you haven't, it's a cute MSR downtime fic. It's here.

It here at the site below Alicia!
http://members.tripod.com/chellemo/fxfiles.html

It's by Kathy! The one I just finished doing a fic challenge for! Hey Kathy!
If you read this!! She is a really good writer to me, anyway. You should read
her new fic Distance it's short but its really cool shippy stuff.

her email addy is SADan...@aol.com
ask her for it!

BYE!

Nascent

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Among the many I must heartily second in this wonderful (and educational!)
thread are MCA, JC Sun, Amanda Finch, Barbara D., Luvmulder, Morgan, and
LoneGunGuy--there are others but that's a start.

Here're a few other names I don't see as often as I should:

Suzanne Schramm, who floored me with "Dark Water,"

Flywoman--start with "Cold Comfort" or "Tautology" and learn there's a reason I
beg to bring her work to atxc,

Gwendolyn--any piece will hook you but my favorite's "Eight and Twelve,"

Blair Provence's "Banging Your Head Against a Red-Haired Brick Wall"--anyone
know if she ever wrote more?

and C. Slatton, who I think was a casual visitor from the Trek scene, but I
wish s/he had stuck around--look for "Domination of Lies."

Nascent

Chaelysq

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Oooh, almost forgot David Hearne, who's posted some great stories lately. The
very ambitious and very interesting "Strangers and Pilgrims", while not
finished, is riveting.

Amanda Finch
"Maybe if we weren't so busy SPOONING, we could FORK once in awhile!" - a
frustrated Fox Mulder
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Chamber/7335/ficlist.html

finn...@hotmail.com

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
It's difficult to narrow the list down, but some I love (yes, they're
mostly MSR, so what? <g>) are:

"Move the Body Over", by Soodohnimh
"Rumination on Dead Cows", by Lilith
"The Lexicon of Scully", by Ropobop
"Consequences", by Suzanne Schramm
"True Colors", by Amy Seymour
"The Beast", by Beduini
The "Momentary Lapses" series by DashaK and Plausible Deniability
The "Real Man, Real Woman" series from Isahunter
"One Hour", by Chris C
"Non-Resolved", "Not Resolved", "Now Resolved", by IndigoMuse
"Butterfies", by Bugs
"No Lies", by Ellie Dustin
"Almost", by Laine
"Cubed", by Louise Martin
"Perfectly Happy", by Amanda Rex
"Psyched", by Ten
The "Scent" series by Terma
"Affirmation", by viXen

Finn

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Teddi Litman

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
No one has ever suggested it?! I think I've rec'd this story on this Ng
at least five different times!!!!

Teddi

MHWoman wrote:

> >..."Anamorphosis" by Megan Reilly. A fascinating, dark "what if" story
>
> I second this recommendation. After I read it, I could not believe that no
> one had ever suggested it. I mean, if you can't deal with dark, Scully-angst
> I'd understand, but anyone who lived through Iolokus could live through this
> story.
>
> Tiffany M.- proudly showing off her battle scars

CazQ

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Windle said:
>I must confess, I too have never been a sardine lover.
>
>Eaten a fair few in my time, though...

Okay, Windle, I'm reading this at 8:00am, and it was five full minutes
before I got that. Now I'm just feeling...ewwww.

Setting that aside, *how* can anyone eat those things? Their little fishy
eyes, staring up at you outta the tin...wurghhh. :P

CazQ

"Ohnosecond: that minuscule fraction of time in which you
realise you've made a *really* big mistake..."
Press Any Key's New Words For The 90s

The divine Stuart made me a webpage! Let me tell
you a story at:
http://www.beansburn.demon.co.uk/paradox/caz/

CazQ

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
SuperJame wrote:
>"Where Do We Go From Here?" By Stephanie Kramer.

I must jump in here and say it's by Stephanie Kaiser (unless I'm having
another duh-brained early morning moment) :).

CazQ

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Alicia K wrote:
>And I really wish Lydia Bower would return to us.
>
>Please?

Oh, don't we all wish that...

But didn't Lydia stop being a full-time stay-at home wife/mom and start
working (hah! as in what the government terms working, not as in being a mom
and housewife ain't real work) again? <sigh> So hard to let them fly the
nest... ;)

CazQ

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
MaraKara wrote:
>MD1016's Jasper's Last Thought is one of the most original stories I've
read in
>a long time. MD's Teetering is just amazing.

Ooh *yeah*, can I second...well, third this? *Anything* by MD1016 is
fantastic, and Jasper's Last Thought is one of those I come back to again
and again.

So *that's* who MCA is? The things you learn on atxc, huh? :)

CazQ

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
SuperJame wrote:
>Are there some good funny fanfics y'all can recommend. They're exceedingly
>hard to write, I know. But fun to read.

*Anything* by Windle Poons (no page of her own, but should be some of her
stuff on Gossamer). I recommend 'Tunguska'd'. We're talking about a writer
whose *e-mails* leave me helpless with laughter, fer gawd's sake <g>.

Also any of Punk M's hilarious 'Moot Points' series, which are at the
Underground:
http://chinapatterns.simplenet.com/punkm/underground.html

CazQ, revelling in all the lurve flying round atxc at the moment :)

CazQ

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Windle Poons wrote:
>At the risk of making this thread look like a gathering of The CazQ Fan
>Club, I must add my voice to those praising her work. I wasn't heavily
>into spoony/romantic/MSR stuff until I read some of her stories.

Awww, shucks, Windle...yes, I convert the heathen <veg>. ;)

I thought of more! Here we go again...

'The Wish' and 'The Wish II: All The Colours' by viXen. Sweet, angsty,
romantic, smutty, these puppies have it all.

Anything by Luperkal: brilliantly written, lyrical, razor-edged angst
(although I think she may have gone on vacation from fic-land indefinitely
now).

Anything by Kristin Mackenzie, such as 'No More Giants', 'Night And Silence'
or 'Heat Lightning', all of which left me seething with jealousy at such
perfection. She's at www.luciditywebs.com/x-files.htm.

Anything by the multi-talented Wayward, who's not technically unsung, but
IMHO should still be getting mentioned way more in these parts. She not only
does brilliantly funny stuff, in the vein of 'Tender Loving Care' or 'Fox
Mulder's Manifesto of Manhood', but also *searing* angst, like 'The Light Of
One Sun' and 'Bitter Condensation'. Her stuff resides at
http://www.justanyidiot.com/scintilla

Alicia, darlin', I adore this thread; here's one that could run and run. <g>

CazQ, off to breakfast

SuperJame

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
<SuperJame wrote:
>"Where Do We Go From Here?" By Stephanie Kramer.

I must jump in here and say it's by Stephanie Kaiser (unless I'm having
another duh-brained early morning moment) :).>

No, it was me who was duh-brained. Thanks for the clarification. Sorry,
Stephanie.

Jamie

CazQ

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Finn wrote:
>"Move the Body Over", by Soodohnimh

Oh me oh my, *yes*! I'd forgotten how much I adore that story: incredible
smutty MSR. Anyone know if Soodohnimh ever wrote anything else? And while
we're at it, where can I find 'Move The Body Over'? I had it on a floppy
disk, for some reason, and it got corrupted. Thanks for reminding me of that
one, Finn :)!

Uh...I am studying. Really, I am. This is just a short break...<sidles away>

CazQ

Wayward

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
In article <7jg2cl$b84$7...@epos.tesco.net>, "CazQ" <Ca...@tesco.net> wrote:

> Anything by the multi-talented Wayward, who's not technically unsung, but
> IMHO should still be getting mentioned way more in these parts. She not only
> does brilliantly funny stuff, in the vein of 'Tender Loving Care' or 'Fox
> Mulder's Manifesto of Manhood', but also *searing* angst, like 'The Light Of
> One Sun' and 'Bitter Condensation'. Her stuff resides at
> http://www.justanyidiot.com/scintilla

<closes mouth so newsgroup need not be subjected to a view of Wayward's
dental work>

Thank you for the kind mention, Caz dear. <sniffle> Having been around
these parts for just 3 months, I appreciate the generous reception that my
stories have had.

In addition to the well-deserved mentions that Plausible Deniability,
CazQ, and Brandon and Shannon have received, I'll suggest two more
authors. I'm always intrigued by Susan Frankovich's poetry and the insight
and plot turns of Martha Little's stories. Susan's poetry is available on
Ephemeral; the ever splendiferous CiCi might know if Martha's stories
appear outside of the XAPEN list.

Very gratefully,
--Wayward

--
Cathy Faye Rudolph
Wayward Fluffy Publications -- Web Design/Graphic Art & Illustration

Alicia Kamenick

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99

WickdZoot wrote:

> >And, last (and definitely not least)
> >"Playing For Keeps" by Youkneek and Bliss. Hey! You guys ever going to
> >finish
> >this awesome story, or what? Oh, please please please please.... loved it!
>
> Oh, wow, sank you muchly. I will draw Youkneek's attention here.....
>
> But as far as I know, we're still planning to finish it when RL permits. We've
> gotten as far as the timeline outline thingie.

Oh man... cool! :) RL has some balls, doesn't it? Always sneaking in there and
stealing the time you need to write fanfic? <shakes fist at RL> I'll beat you yet!

Alicia K.
Who is listening to Sheryl Crow's version of "Sweet Child Of Mine" on VH1. Oh,
Axl, where have you gone?

CiCi Lean2

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99

>nd the insight
>and plot turns of Martha Little's stories. Susan's poetry is available on
>Ephemeral; the ever splendiferous CiCi might know if Martha's stories
>appear outside of the XAPEN list.
>
>Very gratefully,
>--Wayward

Well, Martha has trouble getting ATXC access, I know that, so I'll write to her
and see if I can forward her latest ones for her.

A lot of her stories can be found on various LGM sites (I think xxxgizziexxx
posted a couple of URLs in this thread) and on Gossamer.

They are *definitely* well worth the read. Martha is great!

CiCi

The Circle of CiCi
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Workshop/3293/index.html

CazQ

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Duh-brained me wrote:
>*Anything* by Windle Poons (no page of her own, but should be some of her
>stuff on Gossamer).

Doh! Ephemeral, I meant Ephemeral. My bad. BTW, has anyone else been having
probs with the author search on Ephemeral, or is it just me?

CazQ

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
If-I-Had-Two-Brain-Cells-I'd-Be-Dangerous me wrote:
>'The Sea Parted' by wen (yeah, you guessed it...look, I just watched
>Gethsemane again today, and then cried over 'E.T. later. I'm in touch with
>my inner angst addict right now...)

Or even 'Parting The Sea'...I think I ought to go for a lie down before I
hurt myself.

CazQ

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Alicia K had the frankly brilliant idea:
>Okay. In a meager effort to draw attention away from the fiasco that
>was this weekend's favorite topic of posting, let's try this: who are
>the authors, or stories that you've really loved?

Oh, I *know* I keep adding more and more, but I thought of some more I wanna
shout about!

Anything by Shawne, who writes lovely MSRs. Check out the recently posted
'When Life Hands You Lemons...' to see why I adore her fluffier stuff so
much :). Her stuff lives at
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Temple/1685/XF.html

'The Last Picture Show' by jerry. Gorgeous, smutty, sorrowful Pendrell-fic
(I'm becoming such a cheap date where the little guy's concerned). It's
tucked away at the Socks Shoppe somewhere, I believe.

'Don't Think Of A Blue Elephant' by Chey Burgess. If you miss the good ol'
angsty days of the cancer arc as much as me sometimes, read this one for a
stunning Scully POV and some great Muldercomfort.

'Private Ceremony' and '6 Days And 7 Nights' by Eleanore (I think that's the
name she posts under, I've lost my copy of '6 Days...'). '6 Days..' in
particular is a fabulous slice of flick-fic, with one of the best opening
lines in fanfic, IMHO: "There was no sign of man or penguin."

'The Wall' by Leah Lesnar (again, someone please correct me if that's not
her penname). Wanton!Scully, Lickable!Mulder, hot smut <g> (if anyone knows
where this is archived, do let me in on the secret).

The recently posted 'Lesser Evils' by Hannah Mason, which I adored cos I
didn't see the twist comin' <g>.

Okay, okay, this time I really *am* going...

carle...@my-deja.com

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
In article <7jgi1v$dbt$1...@epos.tesco.net>,

"CazQ" <Ca...@tesco.net> wrote:
> Alicia K had the frankly brilliant idea:
> >Okay. In a meager effort to draw attention away from the fiasco that
> >was this weekend's favorite topic of posting, let's try this: who
are
> >the authors, or stories that you've really loved?

I absolutely love Daydreamer's Prayer series. She hasn't written any
MSR smut yet, but I live in hope. And I'm not just sucking up because
she's my betareader.

Tim Scott's Third Wish. HooFREAKINboy.

Khyber's Day 17.

EPurSeMove -- OMG! I just forgot the title. I'm such a loser. It's MSR
and Newton's laws of physics play a major role. Sliding Downwards? Is
that what I'm thinking of?

> 'The Wall' by Leah Lesnar (again, someone please correct me if that's
not
> her penname). Wanton!Scully, Lickable!Mulder, hot smut <g> (if anyone
knows
> where this is archived, do let me in on the secret).

::blushing:: Geez, thanks. I post under carleton97, but it doesn't
matter which name you use on the group. I'm never running for office
anyway. <g> Anyway, since I'm the biggest procrastinator on earth, my
website is still sitting happily on the disk I created it on last year.
Someday I'll finish it, but until then I use Gossamer. The Wall should
still be on Ephemeral, though.

And as a little gift for thinking of me in this thread with a whole lot
of wonderful authors, I'll just tell you that the sequel to The Wall is
(finally) finished and being beta-ed right now. If there really is a
Slow Writers Association, I could be the president.

Leah

--
_Negative Capability_, that is when man is capable of being in
uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after

JourneyToX

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Aw, shucks Katrina.

You're making me blush.

I really have to publicly thank you and WP and other folks who have patiently
stuck with me while writing this story. Your enthusiasm and support for
"Purple" mean the world to me. Hugs and thanks and blessings to you.

Wait, what's that sound? Is that a truck pulling up to my front door? Is
it......is it....Fat Tire beer?

Ahhhhh.

I feel *much* more like writing now.

<burp>

;-D

*~*~*~*~*~*
Kim
Journ...@aol.com
http://alanna.net/journeytox
XF 'Ho No. 405, Head Surly Ho, Xeminar 99, X2K, SEEPS, BYFP, XFSSS
"Did I look adorable?" Mitch Pileggi, Season 4 Gag Reels. :-)

Katherine F.

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99

Alicia Kamenick wrote in message <7jffqr$j...@newsops.execpc.com>...

<snippetty snippetty>
>--"Heterosexual Male" by ? Possibly the only Spender/Bill Jr. fic out
there. And
>rightly so.

Halrloprillalar, one of my fave authors of all time, who has the rare knack
of writing happy stories that *don't* make you reach for a toothbrush,
and angsty ones that don't make you reach for a razor blade.

Katherine F.

Katherine F.

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99

Alicia Kamenick wrote in message <7je86a$3...@newsops.execpc.com>...
<snippetty snippetty>
>Let's bring up those stories or authors that don't get a lot of
>mentions, or recommendations, or picks.

This thread is already incredibly long, but...I just had to speak up
for the ScullySlashers.

Radclyffe H. has written two incredible series, "Genesis" and
"Games", each with a very different tone, each very hot, very
real, and very moving.

eeyore writes deliciously funny PWP's; I can especially
recommend "Lunch" and the "Montana?" trilogy.

These stories can be found at ScullySlash:

http://www.angelfire.com/sc/scullypage

Then there's Izzy Izenthe, who has her own page at:

http://members.xoom.com/goatgir1

(that's a one, not an l). Izzy is incredible. I mean,
honestly, after I read "Ignition" I found that I didn't
hate Fowley any more. *That's* how good she is.

Katherine F.
also a ScullySlasher
http://netdump.com/users/purity_brown/purity.htm

WickdZoot

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Oh, yeah, I second these. But if you read Lyrica, make sure you have a fan and
ice water near by.

CazQ

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
carleton97 wrote:
>EPurSeMove -- OMG! I just forgot the title. I'm such a loser. It's MSR
>and Newton's laws of physics play a major role. Sliding Downwards? Is
>that what I'm thinking of?

Yup, 'Sliding Downwards' is correct :). Top-notch, like all her stuff.

>And as a little gift for thinking of me in this thread with a whole lot
>of wonderful authors, I'll just tell you that the sequel to The Wall is
>(finally) finished and being beta-ed right now. If there really is a
>Slow Writers Association, I could be the president.

Woo-hoo! Sequel, sequel, sequel!! :) Is over-eager a good look on me?
;)

Alright, I really *am* going this time. Cross your fingers for me, kiddoes:
tomorrow is the first day of exam season, and I'm feelin' like an endangered
species ;).

CazQ

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Katherine F wrote:
>Then there's Izzy Izenthe, who has her own page at:

http://members.xoom.com/goatgir1

>(that's a one, not an l). Izzy is incredible. I mean,
>honestly, after I read "Ignition" I found that I didn't
>hate Fowley any more. *That's* how good she is.

Oh *yeahhhh*: 'Down Falls The Moon' and it's sequel, 'Eye Of Heaven II:
Eclipse' were formidable. I wanted to weep. Can't wait for 'Eye...III' <g>.

WPAdmirer

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Well, first of all, I think I boo-booed in my last posting here. Ophelia Mac
has written some wonderful stuff, and I'm a big fan.

However, I think the New Orleans story I was thinking of was Jaded Cat's. It's
marvelous. My apologies to Jaded Cat for mis-remembering. Chalk it up to too
many drugs in my youth, and nothing to do at all with you or your story.

And there's only one person who's written MSR that I like and that's Cathleen
Faye. Her "By Coincidence" is a great story. I highly recommend it.

WP

KGlover602

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
JTX said:

<snip>

<snip some more>

><burp>

Kim, I think you have the four titles for your next 155 Words series!

Kisses,
Katrina

SADanaMldr

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
MaraKara wrote:
>MD1016's Jasper's Last Thought is one of the most original stories I've
read in
>a long time. MD's Teetering is just amazing.

<Ooh *yeah*, can I second...well, third this? *Anything* by MD1016 is
fantastic, and Jasper's Last Thought is one of those I come back to again
and again.>

Well, I'm fourthing it in that case!!!

Dianora2

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Leslie mentioned:
>Tish
>Sears

I still think "Chilmark Light" is one of my favorite MSRs, EVER. So wonderful.
ANd I loved all the authors you mentioned, too.

--Dia, who occasionally entertains thoughts of tracking down Nicola Simpson and
groveling at her feet for more XF fic... ;D
http://members.aol.com/dianora2/main.htm
"I don't want to be too happy, or content. Because -- then what?"
-- Ally McBeal

(Remove nospam from my address when replying!)

Jacie

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99

Alicia Kamenick wrote in message <7je86a$3...@newsops.execpc.com>...>Let's

>bring up those stories or authors that don't get a lot of
>mentions, or recommendations, or picks.

There's one fantastic author that no one ever really talks about. I believe
she's an English teacher, and her name is Christina Simmons. She's written
some of my all time favorite fics, including:

"But Tonight...Strength." post Memento Mori
"One Way Home" post Home
"Mizpah" deals with the mysterious ring

and tons tons more. I really recommend that you go to her webpage. please,
I feel that she's totally underrated.

Her homepage: http://members.tripod.com/~catwings1/xflinks.html

SADanaMldr

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99

It here at the site below Alicia!
http://members.tripod.com/chellemo/fxfiles.html

It's by Kathy! The one I just finished doing a fic challenge for! Hey Kathy!
If you read this!! She is a really good writer to me, anyway. You should read
her new fic Distance it's short but its really cool shippy stuff.

her email addy is SADan...@aol.com
ask her for it!

BYE!>

Wow! Thanx fo recommending me! Rachel!!

E-mail me anytime if u want to read any of my fic, guys.....

Ciao, big smiles =)

Julie Cantrell

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
finn...@hotmail.com wrote:

>"Rumination on Dead Cows", by Lilith

<snipped a lot of FAB recs>

I absolutely love Lilith!!! Try "Bitter and Butter Pecan" and the
rest of the Flavours series at her website:

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/1947/

Julie :-)

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Orion/8199/
The Federal Bureau of Imagination

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dungeon/3881/
XF Views and Phenomena

"The only disability in life is a bad attitude."
~Scott Hamilton, Olympic Gold Medalist~

Teddi Litman

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
to Alicia Kamenick

Alicia Kamenick wrote:

> MaraKara wrote:
>

> > Missing Voices, a season 4 hiatus story by Joyce McKibben, Meredith and MC
> > Akimoto is one of my favorites.
>
> Anyone know if MC Akimoto is still writing? She/He had some great stories.Alicia K.

She adopted a pseudonym. Mesa Ora, I believe.

Teddi

Teddi Litman

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99

Just a few off the top of my head, I don't recall seeing mentioned in this
thread yet.

Jay Fox or Frogdoggie: He doesn't post here. He's one of the "perks" of
XAPEN.<G> His "Baton Rouge" series made this non-slasher a fan of Sk/M/Sc!
He also writes multiple other pairings. Very romantic and hot as well.
He does have a web site: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Lair/7228/xship.htm

Rocketman. Often unpolished; but she displays great raw talent for
characterization.
She has this wonderful ability of being able to accurately portray how
people really think.

Emilie Renee Karr who long since appears to have abandoned TXF for another
fandom.:( Her "Future Horizons" and "Horizons: Homecoming" should not be
missed. I only wish she had continued this series further.

Red Wolf's "Shift" series: another apparently abandoned series with great
potential.:(

Speaking of wares<G>, Shael's "Loup Garou" series which has become primarily
about a certain three way relationship that involves neither Mulder nor
Scully. M&S are there, together but way on the backburner; and this shipper
just loves this series!

Kristie Hughes "Persistence of Memory" a M/S married, next generation story
(also not usually my favorite type of story.) The teen aged daughter is not
cloying and highly likable; and M&S are still very much present and active
in this story.

Of course, I just can't mention next generation stories without bringing
up Erin McCole Cupp's "Children's Teeth" series. M&S *are* pretty much on
the backburner here; but that doesn't matter to me (It usually does.) in
this case.
I think this series is just too good to miss. Specifically, the story
"Sister's Blood" was one of the most amazing stories I've ever read!

Houng Te may be best known for offering most gracious feedback to authors;
but
she wrote a terrific, unique story called "Excerpts"

Teddi

Maureen O'Brien

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
CazQ opineth:
>Setting that aside, *how* can anyone eat those things? Their little >fishy eyes, staring up at you outta the tin...wurghhh. :P

o/ Fish heads, fish heads, roly-poly fish heads o/
o/ Fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum o/

I love sardines! Pack 'em in oil, pack 'em in mustard, pack 'em in hot
sauce and I'll eat 'em! Not to mention anchovies! I loooove anchovies!
Sausage, anchovy and pineapple pizza was my Memorial Day present to
myself, and it was so goooood!

Hey, Scully would eat it with me. Scully has taste.

I do, however, draw the line at liver. Unless it's all ground up and
comes from a goose.

Maureen

Binah

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99

Dianora2 <dian...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message

> I still think "Chilmark Light" is one of my favorite MSRs, EVER. So
wonderful.
> ANd I loved all the authors you mentioned, too.

I adore that one. Haven't read it in years. Where could I find it? It's
not in the Gossamer Archive.

Binah

Alicia Kamenick

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99

CazQ wrote:

> The recently posted 'Lesser Evils' by Hannah Mason, which I adored cos I
> didn't see the twist comin' <g>.

Oh, me too. After beta reading the first couple of chapters, I included the
following in my notes to Hannah: "Is it Aaron? Is he the baddie? Oh man, I
hope so. That bastard! " :)

Alicia K.

> Okay, okay, this time I really *am* going...

Alicia Kamenick

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99

LaLizWoman wrote:

> MissElise. Not an objective rec, I know, but I'm still blown away by "Smoke on
> the Water." It's been more than a month since I first read this story, and I
> still find myself thinking about certain scenes from it.

Yes! That was a great read. I took it to my parents' over Memorial Day weekend
and read it. They kept asking what that big stack of paper was, and I would say
"Oh. ... nothing." They wouldn't understand. :)

And I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but I reeeeeaaaallly like her
Skinner/Scully/Mulder stuff.

> Jordan who wrote a lovely Spooky Award winning SSR, "Cold Angel Eye." I've got
> a particular soft spot for this story. I'll say no more. :)

Ooh, that *is* a good one. That story has the best Mulder/Scully kiss ever
described in fanfic. Yum.

Alicia K.

> la
> member SSSS
> ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~
> "Its got hair!"
> Bobby Hill, running away and shrieking in
> horror.
> "King of the Hill"

Allison Green

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
to drea...@aol.com

Dreamshpr wrote:<snip>

> Ok, now for my favorite unsung...who got a little recognition but not quite
> enugh for my tastes with her fics...
>
> I loveloveloved Anjou's Speechless (was that the title?) and
> Perfect...wholeheartedly. I just could see everything she wrote, and loved it.
> She's a very new author, I believe--I think those are her only two fics. But
> believe me, if you read them, you'll be begging her to write more--just like I
> beg ;)

I second that emotion! I was just rereading Speechless and Perfect this very
morning. Anjou paints beautiful word pictures. I still haven't gotten around to
sending her feedback.Would it count if I cc'd this to her? <smiles meekly> ( I'm
more than a month behind in my feedback. Jeez, people, quit writing all this great
fic ;-). I don't have enough time to read it all. I don't know how you find the
time to write it.) But I digress, I especially loved the scene where Scully speaks
for Mulder at the press conference. It was only a paragraph, but I could *see*
every vivid detail. And the er, seduction scene in Perfect, give Anjou major points
for originality. Also, the image of Mulder as 'the world's largest house cat' made
me LOL.

> Also--I love Allthingsx...Trixie and Allison Kinney-- who has the honor of
> sharing my first name ;) All of their stuff can be found at the Haven--well, some
> of it anyway. And I recommend them all!

I love Trixie's work too.

And while I'm doing penance for extremely late feedback: Dreamshaper, I really
loved your Burning Bridges. It's at the top (based on chronological age) of the
feedback list on the yellow pad next to my keyboard. What's the statute of
limitations on feedback? And Brandon and Shannon, HK Mason, Jessie, XScout,
Brandon again (damn boy, quit writing so much ;-)), Finn, and Paige Caldwell I will
get to your feedback by the end of the week (o.k. weekend), I promise.

(another)
Allison

*************************
So much great fic, so little time.
*************************

PJuel13

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
>SuperJame wrote:
>>Are there some good funny fanfics y'all can recommend. They're exceedingly
>>hard to write, I know. But fun to read.

King of the Files.
I sat in front of screen with my jaw on my keyboard, too stunned to laugh.

Diana Williams' "Life from the Slashers" series is a scream.

There's also a pretty good piece of semi-humor fanfic in -I kid you not- a
national publication in stores right now. The Door, pretty much the nation's
only religious satire magazine, has an "article" called the "Chi-Files" . Two
awfully familiar agents of the Hebrew goverment reseach the strange goings on
around a man named Ezikiel.
Most good sized chain book stores, Boarders and Barnes and Noble, have it on
the shelves as I type.

I seem to recall a few stories around here with a similar theme.

There's also a good cover article on religion and the Simpsons.

-Hakweye
"Humans need fantasy to be Humans, to be the place where the falling angel
meets the rising ape...You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else
can they become?" - DEATH, Terry Pratchett's Hogfather

It is loading more messages.