*NEW* Kissing Santa (2/2) by Alicia Donovan

1 view

lilgr...@aol.com

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

*PLEASE* Forward to ATXC
-------------------------
Date: November 30, 1996
Rating: PG
Spoilers: Nothing direct but uses some 4th season references
Disclaimer: (see end of page)
-------------------------
Please, please send thoughts and comments. Lonely need good mail ;~]

Here s part two. Hope you like it!
--------------------

Kissing Santa (2/2)
by Alicia Donovan
<lilgr...@aol.com> or <gre...@netcom.ca>

A cold, tingling sensation woke Dana Scully from her pleasant slumber as
she jerked her head up to find her nephew beaming down at her.

"Aunt Dana, wake up!! It's Christmas!!" She rubbed her eyes, mumbled a
greeting, yawned and stretched.

"Merry Christmas to you to Stephen. Alright, let's go see what Santa
brought you!" she exclaimed getting up and putting her robe on.

The boy quickly scooted off downstairs while Dana followed slowly behind
him. As she descended and saw the front door, she couldn't help but smile
at the pleasant memory from the night before.

She didn t, for the life of her, know what came over her. Well, actually
she did, but promised herself a long time ago, in one of their most
important cases that the decision on the stance of her working
relationship would stay just that. A working relationship and nothing
more. She tried to suppress her girlish giggle as she memory of her
partner in his costume came back to her thoughts. And then the kiss.

<Dana, it was just part of Christmas tradition. Nothing more. Don't do
this to yourself> she kicked herself mentally and tried to regain her
usual composure.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the door bell. Before she could reach
the door, a key was used and it opened.

"Merry Christmas!!" Charles and his wife hollered in unison and ran in to
hug her.

"Mommy! Daddy!" Stephen yelled as he dropped his new toys and ran to hug
his parents. Scully closed the door behind them and followed the three
into the living room.

"Mommy, I saw Santa Claus last night!" he told his mom as she picked him
up. Charles looked at his sister. Dana gave him innocent shrug.

"Did you miss us, Steve?" his dad asked.

Stephen nodded and showed him his new presents. His father sat himself
down and the rest of the adults followed. Through the whole morning they
opened the gifts and talked.

"I ve prepared the turkey, all you need to do is put it in the oven,"

"Thank you Dana," her sister-in-law ,Sandy, smiled.

"I'll make my famous cranberry sauce,"

"Would you mind terribly if I didn't join you for Christmas dinner this
year?" Dana asked.

"Dana, it's tradition and since Mom and Bill's family won't be here, I
really think you should stay," Charles tried to persuade.

"I know, it's just that my partner wants to take me out for a nice,
friendly Christmas dinner
and since he's lacking family I d like to go, "

"Why don't you bring him here. We have enough for many with the way I
cook," Sandy told.

"Are you sure, it won't be a bother?" Dana asked.

"Nonsense! Any friend of yours is a friend of ours and I've always wanted
to meet this famous Fox Mulder. Mom has told us a lot," Charles said.

"From what I ve heard I'm intrigued, I d love to meet him too," Sandy
teased.

"Okay , don't do anything to embarrass me! I ve already had plenty of
nagging from Mom," she warned. They nodded simultaneously then all burst
out laughing.

After Charles and Sandy had settled down into their home clothes, Dana
called her partner and told him that he had been invited to a Christmas
dinner with Charles insistence. Her partner complied grudgingly, not
because he didn't want to see the family but that he wasn't good with
family gatherings.

The rest of the day was spent preparing for the Christmas dinner. Even
Charles had offered to help and was given his chore to knead the dough to
make the French loaves. In the Scully family, the men helped out equally
when it came to the kitchen. Dana began making the wassail, then lit a
cozy fire in the living room fireplace.

When the table was set and the food ready, Dana went up to change into the
new dress her mom bought her.

As she put the final touches to her hair and make-up, she heard a soft
knock at her door.

"Come in," she called. Sandy entered, already changed and looking
radiant.

"My Dana, you look absolutely wonderful!" she exclaimed.

"Thank you. So do you," Dana responded.

"I'm sure you're going to turn your partner's head," Sandy told. Dana
shook her head and
laughed constantly awed by her family s tenacity.

"Sandy, nothing turns my partner's head unless you're an alien or a tall
leggy brunette, of which I am neither -so that is not a possibility."

"Are you so certain of that?" Sandy asked.

"Yes, I am" she answered.

"Why? I must admit, five years of working together and both of you don t
have any
feelings whatsoever at all amazes me,"

"Sandy, just because you work with closely someone doesn't mean you'll end
up having feelings for the person," Dana explained.

"True. It's just that you're attractive and I am just surprised that ..."
Sandy stopped herself regretting that she had begun the sentence.

"What, the fact I don't have a relationship lately?" Dana finished the
sentence for her.

"I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to suggest anything," Sandy apologized.

"It's alright. No offense taken. Things just haven't worked out for me
lately in the relationship department, that's all. "

"Well, there's still the New Year," Sandy answered and smiled as she left
the room.

Dana watched her sister-in-law leave and looked at herself in the mirror
again. She let out a small, frustrated sigh and left the room for
downstairs. All three, Charles, Sandy and Stephen, were in the living
room. Stephen playing with his new remote controlled sports car while his
parents watched him. She began to go to them when the doorbell rang.

Dana suddenly felt a stab of nervousness as she went to the door. Before
opening it, she quickly straightened her dress out.

"You look lovely Sis," Charles told as he watched his sister who looked so
nervous to see *just* a friend. His voice startled Dana and she gave her
brother a shy smile, then turned the knob of the door. She found her
partner with his back to her looking out the yard when she opened the
door.

"Mulder," she called.

"Oh! Scully," he said and turned around, holding a large bouquet of
flowers. He handed it to her.

"Thank you," she replied taking the flowers from him and allowed him to
enter. At the same time she was thinking he looked quite handsome, freshly
shaved and nicely combed hair. He slowly went in and shyly smiled at
Scully s brother and her sister-in-law.

"This is Charles, my brother and Sandy, his wife." Dana introduced.
Mulder shook hands with them.

"Nice to meet you. Thanks for the invitation," he said looking at Dana
then to the couple in front of him.

"Don't mention it at all. Now come to the living room and meet my son,"
Charles said leading Mulder to the living room. Sandy and Dana followed
behind.

"You're right, he's cute. I thought you said he wouldn't appreciate the
way you look tonight," Sandy whispered in Dana's ears.

She saw Dana cheeks go red. She couldn t remember when she had told her
sister-in-law that she had ever said her partner was *cute*.

There was no denying it, Dana saw that her partner's eyes nearly bulged
out when he saw her. For a few moments he had seemed stunned and unable
to regain voice.

The formal introduction of Stephen took place, who seem to be more
concerned with his newly acquired toys than Mulder. The ironic twist made
Mulder grin but said nothing. After some small talk, they went into the
dining room to eat. Halfway through the meal, the phone rang. Sandy got up
answer it.

"It's for you Dana," she called.

Dana rose and took the phone from her sister-in-law. Back at the dining
table, Stephen kept looking at Mulder. His father, sensing that Mulder
was not too comfortable said, "Son, it's rude to stare,"

"I think I ve seen that man before," the boy tried to whisper quietly.

"Where?" Sandy asked.

The boy shrugged and went back to his turkey. After a few moments, the boy
decided he had something else to say.

"Mommy, how long can people kiss?"

"What are you talking about Steve?" Sandy asked.

"How long can people kiss? Do you know Dad?" the boy repeated the
question.

"Ah...I don't know son," Charles replied.

"What's going on?" Dana asked returning to the table.

"He's asking me how long people can kiss," Charles informed, "where he is
getting this
from suddenly, I don't have the faintest idea,"

"But Dad! I saw Aunt Dana kiss Santa Claus last night for a very long
time," the boy told, dropping the bomb.

There was a long pause and only the sound of someone choking broke the
silence. Dana reached for her glass of water to clear her throat but
knocked it over instead.

"I'm sorry, Sandy. " Dana said bending down to soak up the water with her
napkin.

"Here, leave it. I'll go get a sponge," Sandy told with a huge grin on her
face.

<Dana's face is red as an apple> Sandy thought to herself at she went to
kitchen.

Charles saw that Mulder seemed to be hot under the collar and he grinned
as well, shaking
his head at his guest and his sister. Dana eventually returned to her
seat, not really daring to look at Mulder. Charles wanting to break the
uncomfortable silence, that was presiding the table, asked who the person
on the phone was. The question quickly altered Dana's crimson face as she
looked up at her partner.

"Mulder, it was Skinner. He apologized for cutting our vacation time but
there s an
important case and they are calling us in. We have to leave tomorrow for
New York on the 2:30 flight," she informed him.

"What is it about?" Mulder asked.

"He said he'll fax it here later. So I'll fill you in when we catch the
flight,"

"What flight?" asked Sandy coming back to her seat.

"They have to leave for New York tomorrow," her husband answered. "Well,
Dana you know we have a complex in New York, just a few minutes away from
Central Park. Why don't you stay there? It'll be no trouble at all and
the place is fully furnished,"

"That's a nice idea. Thank you Charles," Dana gave him a very grateful
smile.

"Anything for my sis. I think all the motels and hotels are probably busy
this time of the
season,"

"Who wants dessert?" asked Sandy getting up again.

"Me, Me, Me!!" Steve hollered.

The dessert was delicious and Steve did not pursue his question again.
After clearing the table, they gathered around the fireplace and talked
about politics and some of their wild cases. Finally when the clock
struck ten, Mulder decided to leave.

"I think I'd better go. It's getting late. Thanks for the dinner. It was
delicious," he said getting up.

Dana got up and left to get Mulder's long black wool coat from the closet.
Mulder followed closely behind her.

"You look lovely tonight," he whispered in her ear as she handed him his
coat. She felt herself blush.

"Drive carefully. It's slippery out with the snow and everything," she
told him.

"Thanks, I will," he replied putting his coat on.

Dana seeing that his collar was reversed, she
reached over and flipped it over for him. She then started to dust off
the little cotton threads on the shoulder of his jacket. While she did
this, Mulder stood still like a child letting his mom fuss over him.

At first they did not see Charles and Sandy was watching them, looking
rather delighted. When she finished and turned away, she saw their looks
and felt her face flush again for the umpteenth time that evening.

"Thanks again," Mulder told stepping out of the door.

"Wait a minute," Charles said, " Do the two of you know you're under the
mistletoe?"

Both of them turned to look at Charles with the same facial expression.
They looked as if they had been suddenly caught with their hands in the
cookie jar.

"That's right. It's tradition. Go ahead and kiss," Sandy urged.

"Auntie Dana kissed Santa there for a very long time," Steve said pointing
at the opened doorway.

Sandy pulled her son to her and covered his mouth with her one of her
hands. Dana gave her brother a killer glare, then turned towards Mulder
and quickly gave have him a peck on the cheek. He mumbled thanks
afterwards and left. When the door closed behind him, the couple burst
out laughing.

"I am so glad you all are enjoying this," she told going up the stairs.

"Sandy, they're just friends!" Charles teased with feigned seriousness.

"Of course they are!" Sandy replied fluttering her eyelashes. Dana smiled
at them and finally laughed.

"Merry Christmas, you two. I am going to go get that fax and see what the
case is about" she told, going to her room.
--------------------

The case took five days to solve and it wasn't even an X-File. This
angered Mulder a bit and he started fuming in their rented car, outside
the police station.

"Are we so expendable that Skinner can just call us on our supposed
holiday to solve a
forgery case which is so simple anyone with half a brain could solve!" he
said, his voice a couple decibels louder than it usually was.

"I'm sure Skinner thought it was serious at the time. After all the
governor was involved," she offered an explanation.

"Whatever," was his response.

"Well, we still have a few more days before going back home, and I haven't
given you your Christmas present yet. I promised you that I would tonight
didn't I?" Scully said trying to lighten the mood. It was New Year's Eve.

"That's right, you haven't. I didn t have a chance to take you out for
Christmas dinner. Why don't we go tonight?" he suggested.

"No, it's set aside for your present,"

"Well, what is it?" he asked.

"I'm going to put myself to the test and cook you dinner. My treat. What
do you say?" she asked.

"That was what you were planning to do in the beginning?" he asked rather
disappointed.

"Yes. You cook, but you don't actually *cook*. Mulder, this is a great
time to get a wholesome meal. You ve never tasted my cooking," Scully
told.

"Alright, but I must warn you, NO OATMEAL AND RAISINS!" he ordered. Scully
smiled.

"I guess that means you want me to take you to a grocery store?" he asked.

"You got that right!" she said and he started the car. They went to the
closest grocery mart to the condo and Scully had a field day buying the
ingredients and supplies. They came out with four large grocery bags, of
which Mulder carried three and Scully carried one.

Scully began to cook as soon as she got back and would not allow Mulder to
step foot in the kitchen. At first he would come in every five minutes
and peek to see what she was doing, which irritated the hell out of
Scully.

"Mulder, I told you to get out of here!!" she yelled, her arms on her
waist with an angry
glower.

"You know you almost look like my mom with the red apron and the wooden
spatula in one hand," he teased.

"Get out!"

"Alright, alright! I'm going. Just came to tell you it smells really
good," he said turning to
leave.

"How could you smell anything when I haven't even done anything?!" she
retorted.

"Oops!" He quickly ran out kitchen as fast as he could.

"Ugh!!" Scully let out a frustrated grunt, waving her arms in the air.

She set the table with a new tablecloth she found in one of Sandy's
closets. She got some candles and bought a bottle of Cabernet as well. She
then told Mulder to change who whined about why he should do it and that
he hated dressing up.

"I'm not asking you to dress up, Mulder. Just asking you to change from
the clothes you have worn since this morning,"

Finally he relented and got up from the couch to change. She went to her
room, after watching Mulder go to his room, to change. Scully decided to
wear the other dress she bought for herself the day she went shopping with
her mom.

The ivory colored dress was reminiscent of the Marilyn Monroe dress with
the exposed back. She bought some pearls to go along with the dress and
checked herself in the mirror and liked what she saw.

<I'm not wearing this because of Mulder at all> she told herself, taking
in a deep breath before going out of the room.

She found him lighting the candles on the table. He had on a black dress
pants and a new Polo shirt. He had the sleeves rolled up near his elbow
and the top button was undone. Mulder turned at the sound of her steps and
let out a whistle when he saw her.

"Hey Scully, are you trying to seduce me?" he asked.

Scully rolled her eyes and said, "Don t start with me. I'm going to get
the food,"

The dinner went well, but at times, Scully felt uneasy when she caught him
looking at her. He ate all that was there for him as well as any would-be
leftovers.

<Well, at least he appreciates my cooking> she told herself.

Mulder helped clear the table and dried the dishes while she washed. After
everything was
done, she looked at her watch. Just a couple of hours before New Year s.
She wanted some fresh air, if that's what you call it in New York, and
besides she was stuffed . Scully decided a good walk would be good. She
turned to Mulder who was
stacking the plates into the cabinet.

"Mulder?"

"Yeah?"

"Want to go for a walk? I'm quite full," she said.

"Alright, lets go. By the way, Thanks for the dinner," he said smiling at
her.

"Your welcome. What are friends for?" she replied and gave his hand a
friendly squeeze.
They smiled at each other and went to get their coats and gloves.

--------------------

The air was crisp and sharp, and the night clear. The stars were sparkling
brightly. Scully buttoned her coat all the way up and wrapped her scarf
around her neck. Trying to stay closer to Mulder, she hope he might be
able to block out the icy wind.

They both headed toward Central Park, but on the way they saw a
horse-drawn carriage. Mulder looked at Scully ,who was holding the sleeve
of her coat for more warmth, and smiled. He took
his wallet out and ran to the carriage. Scully saw Mulder give some bills
to the driver and then wave to her.

"Let's go for a ride Scully,"

"Aren't we adventurous today," she said playfully.

"C'mon m lady" he said, bowing to her. "Your carriage awaits," he
continued as he helped her up.

Mulder leaped up as gracefully as any man could. They rode around the
block and around Central Park. The two huddled together for warmth using
the wool blanket provided and took in the scenery. Finally, Scully decided
to stop and actually take a walk instead after thanking him.

They strolled along, looking at the Victorian style lampposts and the old
benches. Each noted other couples walking, many of them were late in
their years, looking happy enjoying each other s company. Mulder overheard
many of the couples they passed by saying how lovely it was to see younger
*kids* in love, referring to them.

"You know Scully, people here think that we're a couple," he reported.

"So?" she asked not really paying attention, too busy observing the
lighted trees.

"So, you don't mind if I put my arms around your shoulder? For warmth I
mean?" he said challenging her.

"Sure. Go ahead," she replied with indifference. Mulder looked at his
partner and friend with incredulity.

"You really trust me not to take advantage of you, don't you?" he asked.

"You won't," was her reply with certainty.

"You're more certain than I am!" Mulder said with astonishment.

"You chose Mulder," she replied. Mulder stopped walking and stood in his
tracks.

<I chose? What did I choose?> he asked himself.

"Scully, I don't get what you're saying."

"Just forget it and just enjoy the walk" she said continuing to walk. But
Mulder was not about to let it go.

"Scully, I need enlightenment!"

"Mulder, the role I play in your life is to be your partner and your
friend. Nothing more and nothing less. Why are you asking me this? This
was basically your decision," she told.

<My partner is intelligent, smart and sexy. But why so damn complicated?!>
he thought to himself and scratched his head.

"When did I decide what role you are to play in my life?" he asked again.

"Don't you know?" she asked.

"No, I seriously do not know!" he replied running to catch up with her.

"You don't remember telling me that we're destined to only be friends?"
she told him.

It took a few minutes for his mind to register the comment. The case over
a year ago. Now he understood what she was referring to.

"Are you just happy with just friendship?" he asked almost reluctantly.

Scully gave him a shrug, turned her body away from him and walked a few
paces further to inspect another decoration-laden tree.

"Scully, have you ever wondered what my final thoughts were concerning
that case?" he
asked, seeing that he was not getting any response.

"Why should I?" she asked back, slightly quickening her pace.

"Why is it that you were so ready to believe when you usually don't agree
with most of
my theories?"

She turned and faced him.

"In that instance, it didn't matter what I believed. My believing was
irrelevant. You were ready to believe," she told him staring past him
into the crowd of people gathering for the countdown.

"Well, in that instance I wasn't as ready to believe as you thought I
was," he responded as they remained motionless.

She turned away from him and began to walk off. He ran after Scully and
turned her around. Placing his hands on her shoulders, he looked at her,
then Mulder looked up and saw a tree. The tree although not very tall, was
the most beautiful Christmas tree he had ever seen. Glass angels sparkled
from every branch and crystal balls of every color reflected the strands
of lights from the other trees in the park. The star at the tree s top
seemed to make glowfrom top to bottom.

Mulder saw the stars twinkling down upon them from the heavens. Snowflakes
were gently beginning to fall. The scene took his breath away. All his
life, he had been faced with harrowing experiences. Most of which could
not be connected with anything beautiful.

<God, if you're real, thank you for giving me a glimpse of what beauty is>
he prayed silently closing his eyes. When he opened them, he was met with
the intense blue eyes of the woman in front of him.

<Maybe I've had more than a glimpse of beauty but never fully realized it>
he thought to himself.

Mulder let go of Scully's shoulder and braced himself for the confession
he was going to make.

"Dana," he began, fully aware that he was using her first name on purpose.

"The decision of the role you play in my life has always been yours to
make. I love you the way a man loves his mother..."

Scully thought she knew what was coming and began to back away.

"It s okay Mulder. I know how you feel about me," she said trying to stop
him from saying what she did not want to hear.

"Let me finish. I love you the way a man loves his sister. I love you
the way a man loves his friend. You have played all of those roles in my
life. But most of all, I love you the way a man loves a woman," he said.
Letting out his breath, he steadied himself for her reaction.

They stood facing each other as the time approached midnight. People
walked past wondering what the man and woman were doing, just standing in
the middle of the park.

Then, she came closer to him and stared boldly into his eyes. It was then
that she realized that snow was falling.

"Mulder, what would you say if I told you I want to play all of those
roles?" she asked and
saw a smile emerge that was apparent not only on his face but through his
entire demeanor. The kind of smile that had all the creases and wrinkles
yet was utterly handsome.

"I'd say, I'm the luckiest man alive!" he answered.

She returned the same smile and pulled him to her. He embraced her, moving
a few inches closer, and he leaned his head down and kissed her with more
intensity and passion than the first kiss they shared on Christmas Eve.
She matched him with the same hunger and desire, wanting time itself to
stop, at least for the moment. Finally when he broke away, he looked at
her again.

"Happy New Year, Dana."

"Happy New Year to you too,"

They turned away from each other and looked up to the winter night s sky,
lit by a rainbow of fireworks, welcoming a new year and a new life.

==And the moment I can that you feel that way too Is when I fall in love
with you==

The End.
------------------------
All done. Want to write me?
Any comments?
Disclaimer: Characters and theme were borrowed from The X-Files belonging
to Ten Thirteen Productions and Twentieth Century Fox. The key word here
is "borrowed"
No infringment of copyright is intended. For the love of the show

Song excerpt is from "When I Fall
in Love".