Survivor got a 34.1/48 share WOW!!!!

Oscar

Aug 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/24/00
www.tvbarn.com

Looks like CBS undercharged its advertisers again. The summer finale of
"Survivor" appears to drawn a much larger audience than anyone imagined.

After giving the initial "Survivor" sponsors the deal of the century, CBS
sold out its remaining ad time for Wednesday's "Survivor" finale at $600,000
a pop. That's comparable to commercial time for regular-season episodes of
"Friends" or "ER." But early returns from Nielsen suggest that the number of
people watching "Survivor" sailed past those benchmarks. When the final
audience estimate is calculated, it may well rival that of the last episode
of "Seinfeld" in 1998.

A projected 40 share? Hah! "Survivor" was already scoring a 26.8 rating/42
share by its first half hour, according to Nielsen overnight ratings in 48
metered markets, which cover about two-thirds of the country. That number
grew to a 30 rating/44 share from 8:30 to 9:00, 32.4/46 from 9:00 to 9:30
and a stunning 34.1 rating/48 share in the final half hour. The overnight
rating measures households, with one rating point equaling roughly 1 million
homes. Assuming conservatively that two persons watched per household, that
means more than 50 million Americans were tuned to the last hour of
"Survivor," well exceeding the 40 million estimate that had been bandied
around prior to the broadcast.

But if two or three people huddled around the TV set -- a very likely
scenario given the cluster appeal of "Survivor" -- we may be looking at
audience levels approaching that of the 76 million who said goodbye to
Jerry, Elaine, Kramer and George.

The "Survivor" reunion hour got a bigger number than any previous episode of
"Survivor," averaging 26.2/38 and 22.8/35 in its two half hours. As for
David Letterman, the sight of a butt-naked Hatch reading the Top Ten List
may have haunted him last night, but waking up to a 7.8 rating/20 share --
numbers he hasn't seen since "Late Show" followed the 1994 Winter
Olympics -- must be putting a spring even into Dave's step.

--
Survivor Susan Hawk: "If I ever meet you again in life, and you are lying on
the side of the road, dying of thirst, I will gladly walk away and leave you

Bing

Aug 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/24/00
On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:08:56 -0400, "Oscar"
<oscaris...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> As for
> David Letterman, the sight of a butt-naked Hatch reading the Top Ten List
> may have haunted him last night, but waking up to a 7.8 rating/20 share --
> numbers he hasn't seen since "Late Show" followed the 1994 Winter
> Olympics -- must be putting a spring even into Dave's step.

No. He has hated Survivor since day 1 and has resented having
to have each victim on his show. The fact that their final
appearance gives him his best numbers, probably for the whole
year, will just chap his hide something fierce.

The whole time I watched him, I could just see him
fuming under the surface.

-- Bing Monopoly Expansion Set
Visit us at http://www.paxentertainment.com

Matt Ackeret

Aug 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/24/00
In article <39a55365...@news.fu-berlin.de>,

Bing <bi...@paxentertainment.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:08:56 -0400, "Oscar"
><oscaris...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As for
>> David Letterman, the sight of a butt-naked Hatch reading the Top Ten List
>> may have haunted him last night, but waking up to a 7.8 rating/20 share --
>> numbers he hasn't seen since "Late Show" followed the 1994 Winter
>> Olympics -- must be putting a spring even into Dave's step.
>
>No. He has hated Survivor since day 1 and has resented having
>to have each victim on his show.

You know this _how_?

He has made a lot of jokes about Survivor, sure.. But he's a comedian.

Saying he has hated it is awfully presumptuous.
--
mat...@area.com

Puzzla

Aug 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/24/00

Bing wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:08:56 -0400, "Oscar"
> <oscaris...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > As for
> > David Letterman, the sight of a butt-naked Hatch reading the Top Ten List
> > may have haunted him last night, but waking up to a 7.8 rating/20 share --
> > numbers he hasn't seen since "Late Show" followed the 1994 Winter
> > Olympics -- must be putting a spring even into Dave's step.
>
> No. He has hated Survivor since day 1 and has resented having

> to have each victim on his show. The fact that their final
> appearance gives him his best numbers, probably for the whole
> year, will just chap his hide something fierce.
>
> The whole time I watched him, I could just see him
> fuming under the surface.

I didn't get that at all. David knew more about the Survivors than Maria Pope.
He HAD to be watching the show. The questions he asked of the survivors is
proof of that, imo.

Puzz

Puzzla

Aug 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/24/00

Lewis Nguyen wrote:

> Puzzla <puz...@usa.net> wrote in message

> What questions? They either involved contestants having sex, eating rat, or
> some fat guy running around naked. It didn't require much viewing to get
> that much out of the program.
>
> Lewis.

I can't remember the EXACT question, but .... he was interviewing a banished
survivor and he asked a question or made a comment about the show. Maria piped
in with the wrong answer and David corrected her before the banished survivor
could. He watched the show.

Puzz

Lewis Nguyen

Aug 25, 2000, 12:10:46 AM8/25/00

ABlue892

Aug 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/25/00
What rating did Survivor get to go with its 34 Share? How does this compare
with Super Bowls? How does this compare with other summer programming. Anyone
know?

Dorian Blue

Aug 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/25/00

'Survivor' Finale Racks Up Phenomenal Ratings
August 25, 2000 1:51 am EST

By Rick Kissell

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - The viewers have spoken. And it got very loud.

"Survivor" mania reached a crescendo Wednesday night when an average of
51.69 million viewers watched the summer phenomenon's final episode -- more
than any program this season except the Super Bowl.

In the final 30 minutes, which saw wily Richard Hatch emerge as the surprise
million-dollar winner, 58.58 million viewers were glued to the tribal
council vote, representing nearly half of all televisions in use at the
time.

"I'll take it," CBS Television president and CEO Leslie Moonves said.
"Needless to say it's a good day in Television City (the network's LA HQ).
Everyone is in a glow."

Moonves expressed surprise that the final "Survivor" even beat March's
Academy Awards performance.

"Network TV is back," he said.

The show topped a 50 share in all key demographics, including a 54 in adults
18-49 and an incredible 60 share in adults 18-34, both again second only to
the Super Bowl.

The island-based reality series, which had gained viewers with each of its
last seven episodes prior to the finale, really took off Wednesday: Its
51.69 million viewers -- well ahead of projections -- was 80% ahead of the
penultimate episode Aug. 16 (28.67 million) and more than three times the
15.51 million who caught the series premiere May 31.

It drew more viewers this season, for example, than the Academy Awards
(49.62 million), the most-watched episode of "ER" (39.38 million) or the
most-watched celebrity editions of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" (36.05
million).

According to Nielsen, "Survivor's" 28.6 rating and 45 share in homes makes
it the highest-rated CBS telecast since the women's figure skating finals
(Nancy Kerrigan/Tonya Harding) at the 1994 Winter Olympics (44.1/64). It
also ranks as the highest-rated summer broadcast since such marks were first
kept, beginning in 1987.

The final half-hour grabbed a 32.0 rating and 48 share.

These numbers are all the more amazing given that "Survivor" had only 13
weeks to generate viewer interest and such a rabid following. Conversely,
some of the top-rated programs of all time are finales of series -- like
all-time champ "MASH" (60.2/77) -- that were on the air for many years.

Also, viewing levels are considerably lower during the summer months as
vacations, good weather and other distractions keep more people away from
their sets. The Super Bowl, on the other hand, benefits by airing on the
most-watched night of the week (Sunday) and during the most-watched month of
the year (January).

"ABlue892" <ablu...@aol.com> wrote in message

Adam Glover

Aug 25, 2000, 11:55:03 PM8/25/00
"Dorian Blue" <doria...@nospam.prodigy.net> wrote:
> Moonves expressed surprise that the final "Survivor" even beat March's
> Academy Awards performance.

Good. Awards shows suck.

--
Adam Glover Toronto, Ontario, Canada