comment and question

rachelsg1

Oct 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/3/00
You know I'd love to see an Sg1 episode where Jack is right and Daniel is
wrong and only something that Jack knows, not Sam, not anyone else saves the
day.
It would be a novelty...Imagine the looks on the others faces, not to
mention on Jack's.
He's never done that has he?
Usually it is Sam or Daniel.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Rach

Diane Brewster

Oct 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/3/00

rachelsg1 wrote in message <39da21ea$1...@einstien.netscapeonline.co.uk>...

hmmmmm

can't think of one where he *totally* saves the day... but doesn't he come
close to it in the clone one? not really I suppose.

You're right, we NEED a "JAck saves the day with no help from anyone and
despite Daniel" episode!

diane

Adam McGaughey

Oct 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/3/00
rach...@netscapeonline.co.uk writes:
>You know I'd love to see an Sg1 episode where Jack is right and Daniel is
>wrong and only something that Jack knows, not Sam, not anyone else saves
>the
>day.
>It would be a novelty...Imagine the looks on the others faces, not to
>mention on Jack's.
>He's never done that has he?

He drew up the plans for the DHD and saved Sam and Teal'c in "The Fifth
Race." He wasn't really himself though...

Adam McGaughey
ad...@gammaquad.com

Gamma Quadrant BBS
www.gammaquad.com

Eva

Oct 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/3/00
Diane Brewster <diane.b...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> rachelsg1 wrote in message
<39da21ea$1...@einstien.netscapeonline.co.uk>...
> >You know I'd love to see an Sg1 episode where Jack is right and
Daniel is
> >wrong and only something that Jack knows, not Sam, not anyone else
saves
> the
> >day.
> >It would be a novelty...Imagine the looks on the others faces, not to
> >mention on Jack's.
> >He's never done that has he?
> >Usually it is Sam or Daniel.
> >Correct me if I'm wrong.
> >Rach
>
> hmmmmm
>
> can't think of one where he *totally* saves the day... but doesn't he
come
> close to it in the clone one? not really I suppose.
>
> You're right, we NEED a "JAck saves the day with no help from anyone
and
> despite Daniel" episode!

Oh, most definitely, I would like to add my voice to this "plea". Jack
needs a hero episode!

Eva

--
Join the Stargate SG-1 SETI@home Team
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_46150.html

Lisa

Oct 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/3/00

"Adam McGaughey" <ad...@gammaquad.com> wrote in message

> rach...@netscapeonline.co.uk writes:
> >You know I'd love to see an Sg1 episode where Jack is right and Daniel is
> >wrong and only something that Jack knows, not Sam, not anyone else saves
> >the
> >day.
> >It would be a novelty...Imagine the looks on the others faces, not to
> >mention on Jack's.
> >He's never done that has he?
>
> He drew up the plans for the DHD and saved Sam and Teal'c in "The Fifth
> Race." He wasn't really himself though...

That was my initial thought, but I didnt say for that reason....

Lisa

Oct 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/3/00
Eva wrote

> > You're right, we NEED a "JAck saves the day with no help from anyone
> and
> > despite Daniel" episode!
>

> Oh, most definitely, I would like to add my voice to this "plea". Jack
> needs a hero episode!

Yep, I'll third that as well!

Lisa

jmas...@my-deja.com

Oct 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/3/00
In article <39da21ea$1...@einstien.netscapeonline.co.uk>,

"rachelsg1" <rach...@netscapeonline.co.uk> wrote:
> You know I'd love to see an Sg1 episode where Jack is right and
Daniel is> wrong and only something that Jack knows, not Sam, not
anyone else saves the day.
> It would be a novelty...Imagine the looks on the others faces, not to
> mention on Jack's.> He's never done that has he?
> Usually it is Sam or Daniel.
> Correct me if I'm wrong.
> Rach

I believe I've read somewhere that we get an episode similar to this
description later this season. But in the end, does it matter? This is
an ensemble show. A *team* show. Each of the characters brings his/her
strengths and weaknesses to the mix...together forming something
greater than they can accomplish individually. It's the interaction of
those strengths and weaknesses that makes them so successful, imho...

Jmas1959

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

LGammaRay2

Oct 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/3/00
Also, in "Bane" Jack came up with the idea to provide an electric current so
that Teal'c's symbiote could survive outside of Teal'c on the base.

Lisa C.

Jamie Norwood

Oct 3, 2000, 8:50:30 PM10/3/00

I think the problem is many people feel we are only seeing Jack's weaknesses,
and none of his strengths. I don't nessacarily agree, but I .do. think
'Daniel is wrong, and Jack is right' episode would be, well... Different.
And different is good!

Jamie

Ranger Bob

Oct 3, 2000, 11:10:27 PM10/3/00
On Tue, 03 Oct 2000 22:01:21 GMT, jmas...@my-deja.com wrote:

>In article <39da21ea$1...@einstien.netscapeonline.co.uk>,
> "rachelsg1" <rach...@netscapeonline.co.uk> wrote:
>> You know I'd love to see an Sg1 episode where Jack is right and
>Daniel is> wrong and only something that Jack knows, not Sam, not
>anyone else saves the day.
>> It would be a novelty...Imagine the looks on the others faces, not to
>> mention on Jack's.> He's never done that has he?
>> Usually it is Sam or Daniel.
>> Correct me if I'm wrong.
>> Rach
>>
>I believe I've read somewhere that we get an episode similar to this
>description later this season. But in the end, does it matter? This is
>an ensemble show. A *team* show. Each of the characters brings his/her
>strengths and weaknesses to the mix...together forming something
>greater than they can accomplish individually. It's the interaction of
>those strengths and weaknesses that makes them so successful, imho...

Except that the leader is a critical part of the team, and
this season Jack's leadership is poor and being challenged. It is
Jack's job to create that interaction and mix those strengths to form
something greater. In the past, he was the one who made the critical
decisions based on the info he got from everyone else and his own
instincts. He encouraged input from the team and then organized the
effort.
This season, he is not a full member of the team because they
are always off saving the world without him, or worse, coming to save
him like in Tangent and Small Victories. Even in Serpent's Venom
(where they are going up against the Goau'ld), Jack is relegated to
glorified bus driver and Sam hauler.
In fact, in the last three eps Jack wasn't even in charge of
their efforts (Tangent, Curse, and Serpent's Veneom). Since his main
talent is leadership, and since he isn't doing that, he is no longer a
productive member of the team. As was made very clear in Serpent's
Venom, Jack is just tagging along now.
THAT is why we need to re-introduce Jack's contributions to
the mission. Not because he is more important than the others, but
because he is just as important.

penf...@my-deja.com

Oct 3, 2000, 11:38:47 PM10/3/00
In article <39da21ea$1...@einstien.netscapeonline.co.uk>,
"rachelsg1" <rach...@netscapeonline.co.uk> wrote:
> You know I'd love to see an Sg1 episode where Jack is right and
Daniel is
> wrong and only something that Jack knows, not Sam, not anyone else
saves the
> day.
> It would be a novelty...Imagine the looks on the others faces, not to
> mention on Jack's.
> He's never done that has he?
> Usually it is Sam or Daniel.
> Correct me if I'm wrong.
> Rach

spoilers for Tangent
#
#
#
#
#
#

Nothing leaps to mind, however, I thought it was rather spiffy of the
writers to have Jack think of using the missles as propultion. Jack
*isn't* a complete bonehead, though you can see he likes to play up to
the idea that he is. Perhaps keeping expectations low gives him the
element of surprise?

Pen

LostinChlt

Oct 4, 2000, 12:21:21 AM10/4/00
>In fact, in the last three eps Jack wasn't even in charge of
>their efforts (Tangent, Curse, and Serpent's Veneom). Since his main
>talent is leadership, and since he isn't doing that, he is no longer a
>productive member of the team. As was made very clear in Serpent's
>Venom, Jack is just tagging along now.
> THAT is why we need to re-introduce Jack's contributions to
>the mission. Not because he is more important than the others, but
>because he is just as important.

Beautifully said and I couldn't agree more.

Sheryl aka Lost

Marisa

Oct 4, 2000, 1:32:00 AM10/4/00
"rachelsg1" <rach...@netscapeonline.co.uk> wrote in message

> You know I'd love to see an Sg1 episode where Jack is right and Daniel is
> wrong and only something that Jack knows, not Sam, not anyone else saves
the
> day.
> It would be a novelty...Imagine the looks on the others faces, not to
> mention on Jack's.
> He's never done that has he?
> Usually it is Sam or Daniel.
> Correct me if I'm wrong.
> Rach

LOL! That would be so funny. Especially if he wasn't under the influence of
anything ala The Fifth Race.

Alli Snow

Oct 4, 2000, 2:06:41 AM10/4/00
In article <dizC5.1535$yigc.2...@news.xtra.co.nz>,
I agree... I'd love to see the stunned looks on their faces. On the
other hand, Jack was the one to come up with the Ben Franklin thing in
ToT, and his little ER flashback saved Junior in Bane. But it has been
a while since we've seen Smart!Jack; I wouldn't mind seeing him again...

Alli
--
"You are sooo court-martialed..."

http://www.geocities.com/rainrobinson/ AIMSN: UST Calliope

Ankh

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
Spoiler for Deadman Switch

"Alli Snow" <alli...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> In article <dizC5.1535$yigc.2...@news.xtra.co.nz>,

> I agree... I'd love to see the stunned looks on their faces. On the
> other hand, Jack was the one to come up with the Ben Franklin thing
in
> ToT, and his little ER flashback saved Junior in Bane. But it has
been
> a while since we've seen Smart!Jack; I wouldn't mind seeing him
again...

> Alli

Favourite smart Jack moment - Jack coming up with the 'use the ship to
fly to a planet with a gate' idea in Deadman Switch.

Ankh

Eva

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
LostinChlt <losti...@aol.com> wrote in message

Ranger Bob wrote

I know "me toos" are frowned on, but what the hell - "me too"!

Faron

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
Spoiler for Deadman Switch and Nemesis

"Ankh" <Ma...@Ankh.freeserve.co.uk> skrev i melding

> Spoiler for Deadman Switch
>

> "Alli Snow" <alli...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > In article <dizC5.1535$yigc.2...@news.xtra.co.nz>,

> > I agree... I'd love to see the stunned looks on their faces. On the
> > other hand, Jack was the one to come up with the Ben Franklin thing
> in
> > ToT, and his little ER flashback saved Junior in Bane. But it has
> been
> > a while since we've seen Smart!Jack; I wouldn't mind seeing him
> again...
> >
> > Alli
>

> Favourite smart Jack moment - Jack coming up with the 'use the ship to
> fly to a planet with a gate' idea in Deadman Switch.

Who came up with the idea of retrieving the gate to gate out og Thor's
ship? I can't remember... Did they show us that?

Faron

Eva

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
<penf...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> spoilers for Tangent
> #
> #
> #
> #
> #
> #
>

> Nothing leaps to mind, however, I thought it was rather spiffy of the
> writers to have Jack think of using the missles as propultion. Jack
> *isn't* a complete bonehead, though you can see he likes to play up to
> the idea that he is. Perhaps keeping expectations low gives him the
> element of surprise?
>
> Pen

Perhaps, but this season Jack has kept them too low, and I think it is
backfiring a bit. I love his jokes and teases but you can overdo this
stuff and IMHO it has gone the other way, it's not so funny and amusing,
like it used to be.

OK, maybe at the moment he's a bit "lost" but that doesn't mean his
brain is lost as well.

ephian

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
Ranger Bob wrote:

tories
<snips>

> Except that the leader is a critical part of the team, and
> this season Jack's leadership is poor and being challenged. It is
> Jack's job to create that interaction and mix those strengths to form
> something greater. In the past, he was the one who made the critical
> decisions based on the info he got from everyone else and his own
> instincts. He encouraged input from the team and then organized the
> effort.
> This season, he is not a full member of the team because they
> are always off saving the world without him, or worse, coming to save

> him like in Tangent and Small Victories. <more snips>

OK, I agree with you about Jack's leadership portrayal this fourth season in
general. I agree with the examples you give of the various episodes that
show this portrayal, except for Small Victories. I thought he was quite the
hero in this one. He willingly went into the situation one more time,
knowing that it might very well be a suicide mission. He did his job, he
destroyed the last indestructable replicator. Yes, he would have died if
Thor hadn't arrived in the nick of time. But Jack was a leader in this and
kept doing his job each time he was asked to.

ephia

les ungerleider

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
rachelsg1 wrote:

> You know I'd love to see an Sg1 episode where Jack is right and Daniel is
> wrong and only something that Jack knows, not Sam, not anyone else saves the
> day.
> It would be a novelty...Imagine the looks on the others faces, not to
> mention on Jack's.
> He's never done that has he?
> Usually it is Sam or Daniel.
> Correct me if I'm wrong.
> Rach

Just about any of the eps. where military action is needed. Very little
this year. A good commander delegates and listens. A great commander
trusts his team to work to the ends he sets.
--
Les Ungerleider
(please use SLU@pupik.(dot).com)

The above comments reflect only my views and do not commit
my employer, my wife or my dog to any positions or actions.

Ankh

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00

"Faron" <fa...@c2i.net> wrote in message

> Spoiler for Deadman Switch and Nemesis
>
> "Ankh" <Ma...@Ankh.freeserve.co.uk> skrev i melding
> > Spoiler for Deadman Switch
> >

> > Favourite smart Jack moment - Jack coming up with the 'use the
ship to
> > fly to a planet with a gate' idea in Deadman Switch.
> >

> Who came up with the idea of retrieving the gate to gate out og
Thor's
> ship? I can't remember... Did they show us that?
>
> Faron

Oh. I don't recall. I think it was Sam. It was probably Sam. Can
we pretend it was Jack so we can up his score on the S4 Jack Smart
Moments Board?
Ankh

rachelsg1

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00

Ohhh so that would be a score of um 1 then?
<snicker>
Rach

Eva

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00

> Ohhh so that would be a score of um 1 then?
> <snicker>
> Rach

Oooh, that's cruel! <g>

Ranger Bob

Oct 4, 2000, 9:48:21 PM10/4/00
On Wed, 4 Oct 2000 12:54:10 +0100, "Ankh" <Ma...@Ankh.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:

>Spoiler for Deadman Switch
>

>"Alli Snow" <alli...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>> In article <dizC5.1535$yigc.2...@news.xtra.co.nz>,

>> I agree... I'd love to see the stunned looks on their faces. On the
>> other hand, Jack was the one to come up with the Ben Franklin thing
>in
>> ToT, and his little ER flashback saved Junior in Bane. But it has
>been
>> a while since we've seen Smart!Jack; I wouldn't mind seeing him
>again...
>>
>> Alli
>

>Favourite smart Jack moment - Jack coming up with the 'use the ship to
>fly to a planet with a gate' idea in Deadman Switch.
>

>Ankh
Oh, I liked it last season when he dropped the grenades down the big
shaft on the Goau'ld ship instead of working his way all the way down
there like the traitor wanted to. That was the old practical Jack.

Allie Andrews

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00

Diane Brewster <diane.b...@btinternet.com> wrote

> You're right, we NEED a "JAck saves the day with no help from anyone and
> despite Daniel" episode!

Absolutely.........I would love to see Daniel completely mess up risking the
whole of earth as we know it - and then Jack saving the world.

Allie

Diane Brewster

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00

Allie Andrews wrote in message <8ri66q$q4$1...@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>...

>>Absolutely.........I would love to see Daniel completely mess up risking
the
>whole of earth as we know it - and then Jack saving the world.

while JAck does his modest "it was nothing" routine and S & D ask "what on
earth made you think of that?" and he replies "it just seemed the most
obvious things to do in the circumstances <shrug>"

one of Danny's "ummm, thanks Jack" wouldn't go amiss either!

OK Writers we're waiting.......

diane

Ali Andrews

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
On Thu, 5 Oct 2000 18:21:01 +0100, "Diane Brewster"
<diane.b...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Allie Andrews wrote in message <8ri66q$q4$1...@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>...
>>>Absolutely.........I would love to see Daniel completely mess up risking
>the
>>whole of earth as we know it - and then Jack saving the world.
>

>while JAck does his modest "it was nothing" routine and S & D ask "what on
>earth made you think of that?" and he replies "it just seemed the most
>obvious things to do in the circumstances <shrug>"

LOL

>one of Danny's "ummm, thanks Jack" wouldn't go amiss either!
>
>OK Writers we're waiting.......

I vote for Diane to join the writing team!

Allie

Sledge Hammer

Oct 6, 2000, 1:29:45 AM10/6/00

"Lisa" <lisa.d...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Eva wrote

> > > You're right, we NEED a "JAck saves the day with no help from anyone
> > and
> > > despite Daniel" episode!
> >

> > Oh, most definitely, I would like to add my voice to this "plea". Jack
> > needs a hero episode!
>

> Yep, I'll third that as well!
>
> Lisa

Heh, okay, so we'll have an episode where the team is in a tight spot, and
Jack has a dream that in another life he was some sort of government agent
skilled in making explosives out of cereal boxes, and can do almost anything
else with the help of his trusty pocket knife.... ending up saving the day.

hmm... the mind boggles

rt...@yahoo.com

Oct 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/6/00
In article <pVFC5.103025$Qx4.3...@news1.rdc1.il.home.com>,

"ephian" <eph...@home.com> wrote:
> Ranger Bob wrote:

> tories
> <snips>
> > Except that the leader is a critical part of the team, and
> > this season Jack's leadership is poor and being challenged. It is
> > Jack's job to create that interaction and mix those strengths to form
> > something greater. In the past, he was the one who made the critical
> > decisions based on the info he got from everyone else and his own
> > instincts. He encouraged input from the team and then organized the
> > effort.
> > This season, he is not a full member of the team because they
> > are always off saving the world without him, or worse, coming to save
> > him like in Tangent and Small Victories. <more snips>
>
> OK, I agree with you about Jack's leadership portrayal this fourth season in
> general. I agree with the examples you give of the various episodes that
> show this portrayal, except for Small Victories. I thought he was quite the
> hero in this one. He willingly went into the situation one more time,
> knowing that it might very well be a suicide mission. He did his job, he
> destroyed the last indestructable replicator. Yes, he would have died if
> Thor hadn't arrived in the nick of time. But Jack was a leader in this and
> kept doing his job each time he was asked to.
>
> ephia

At the risk of saying "me too" I totally agree with what everyone is
saying here. It seems we've been discussing these problems with Jack's
character quite a lot this season and maybe that's one of the reasons
we've had problems with some aspects of it. This is a team. Jack has
proved in the past what a wonderful leader he has been. I think they're a
team and each brings their talents to the mix, sometimes right and
sometimes wrong, but a nice balance. Together they are stronger than the
individuals.

I guess my biggest criticism about this season (and I reiterate that I've
loved lots of it) is that the team dynamic changed and each person has
become a bit of a stereotype instead of what we had before. This is why I
see us fans now being destructive and taking sides... I want Daniel to be
wrong, I want Jack to be the hero once, I wish Sam wasn't so perfect all
the time etc. I must admit I don't like this. They are strongest as a
team, each doing their bit to save the day. One person can't do it, it's
the knowledge of the four of them together that makes them so successful.
That's another reason I liked Serpent's Venom so much, they were back to
being a team.

rtk58

Diane Brewster

Oct 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/6/00

Ali Andrews wrote in message <39e002a8....@news.freeserve.net>...

>I vote for Diane to join the writing team!
>
>Allie

so long as we can have the odd tender glance between J & S - of course Lis
can expose as much of DJ's body as she wants at any time<g>

diane

Eva

Oct 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/6/00
Sledge Hammer <ham...@spamfilter.iinet.net.au> wrote in message

OK, OK, maybe things aren't quite *that* desperate yet for this kind of
episode... :P

Ali Andrews

Oct 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/6/00
On Fri, 6 Oct 2000 08:34:32 +0100, "Diane Brewster"
<diane.b...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>so long as we can have the odd tender glance between J & S - of course Lis
>can expose as much of DJ's body as she wants at any time<g>

Can we exchange tender glance for smouldering look?

Allie

Ali Andrews

Oct 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/6/00
On Fri, 6 Oct 2000 13:29:45 +0800, "Sledge Hammer"
<ham...@spamfilter.iinet.net.au> wrote:

>Heh, okay, so we'll have an episode where the team is in a tight spot, and
>Jack has a dream that in another life he was some sort of government agent
>skilled in making explosives out of cereal boxes, and can do almost anything
>else with the help of his trusty pocket knife.... ending up saving the day.
>
>hmm... the mind boggles

LOL

My mate Debbie is convinced she once saw an ep of MacGuyver (SP?)
where he made a tank out of two toilet roll holders.

Allie

Diane Brewster

Oct 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/6/00

Ali Andrews wrote in message <39e1a11e....@news.freeserve.net>...

>Can we exchange tender glance for smouldering look?

occassionally!

diane :-)

lex

Oct 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/6/00
Ali Andrews wrote in message <39e4a357....@news.freeserve.net>...

>My mate Debbie is convinced she once saw an ep of MacGuyver (SP?)
>where he made a tank out of two toilet roll holders.
>
>Allie

No, she's got that wrong - it was definitely the A-team that did that. And
then they used cabbages to fire at the enemy.

Lex

Faron

Oct 6, 2000, 8:30:48 PM10/6/00

"Steve Christianson" <stevechr...@yahoo.com> skrev i melding
> My favorite A-team was when they escaped from prison with hot air
> balloons that were in fact trash bags heated with hair dryers. Erm,
> ok...

"Thraaaaashbaaaags... I want thraaaashbaaags."
-Murdock (Pro's and Con's)

Faron

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
I also have been watching the "deterioration" of Jack's character/role in
Stargate SG-1. It seems that the writers are doing what most writers of
series do as the series continues on into multiple seasons .... They
stereotype their characters, exaggerating their personality traits.
Instead of providing us with character growth/development; they give us
character cartoons. I watched this happen in the original Star Trek
series, and in altogether too many series (sitcoms are notorious for this)
since. I hope its just being damn lazy, and not with some kind of
purpose, because they seem particularly hard/stupid (?) on "leader" type
characters, or characters that are particularly popular with people.

for what its worth,
-d

penf...@my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <39da21ea$1...@einstien.netscapeonline.co.uk>,

> "rachelsg1" <rach...@netscapeonline.co.uk> wrote:
> > You know I'd love to see an Sg1 episode where Jack is right and
> Daniel is
> > wrong and only something that Jack knows, not Sam, not anyone else
> saves the
> > day.
> > It would be a novelty...Imagine the looks on the others faces, not to
> > mention on Jack's.
> > He's never done that has he?
> > Usually it is Sam or Daniel.
> > Correct me if I'm wrong.
> > Rach
>

> spoilers for Tangent
> #
> #
> #
> #
> #
> #
>
> Nothing leaps to mind, however, I thought it was rather spiffy of the
> writers to have Jack think of using the missles as propultion. Jack
> *isn't* a complete bonehead, though you can see he likes to play up to
> the idea that he is. Perhaps keeping expectations low gives him the
> element of surprise?
>
> Pen

Lisa

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
d wrote

> I also have been watching the "deterioration" of Jack's character/role in
> Stargate SG-1. It seems that the writers are doing what most writers of
> series do as the series continues on into multiple seasons .... They
> stereotype their characters, exaggerating their personality traits.
> Instead of providing us with character growth/development; they give us
> character cartoons. I watched this happen in the original Star Trek
> series, and in altogether too many series (sitcoms are notorious for this)
> since. I hope its just being damn lazy, and not with some kind of
> purpose, because they seem particularly hard/stupid (?) on "leader" type
> characters, or characters that are particularly popular with people.
>
> for what its worth,

Its one of the main reasons I gave up on Friends, they just became
caricatures of themselves and lost all their roundness and individuality and
just became one dimensional, always reacting the same to every situation.

I dont see this happening on SG yet, maybe to a degree with Jack, but there
is still so much more to him that we do see, i.e. the end of WoO when he
confronts whatsisname (sorry cant remember) and discusses Charlie with him.
There are moments like that and they are still there, just not as much as
we're used to. I sincerely hope that now he's had his holiday and got his
break he gets back to being himself again and not so grumpy. He certainly
seemed more relaxed in Serpents Venom so we'll see.

Lisa

ephian

Oct 8, 2000, 10:24:59 PM10/8/00

Lisa wrote:
> d wrote
>

> > I also have been watching the "deterioration" of Jack's character/role
in
> > Stargate SG-1. It seems that the writers are doing what most writers of
> > series do as the series continues on into multiple seasons .... They
> > stereotype their characters, exaggerating their personality traits.
> > Instead of providing us with character growth/development; they give us
> > character cartoons. I watched this happen in the original Star Trek
> > series, and in altogether too many series (sitcoms are notorious for
this)
> > since. I hope its just being damn lazy, and not with some kind of
> > purpose, because they seem particularly hard/stupid (?) on "leader" type
> > characters, or characters that are particularly popular with people.

<snip>

> I dont see this happening on SG yet, maybe to a degree with Jack, but
there
> is still so much more to him that we do see, i.e. the end of WoO when he
> confronts whatsisname (sorry cant remember) and discusses Charlie with
him.
> There are moments like that and they are still there, just not as much as
> we're used to. I sincerely hope that now he's had his holiday and got his
> break he gets back to being himself again and not so grumpy. He certainly
> seemed more relaxed in Serpents Venom so we'll see.

I agree with Lisa. I don't think this will happen in SG. As far as Star Trek
is concerned, the characters were poorly written from the start. Thinking of
the Next Generation, the characters in the first season approached every
event with the same attitude of intense dread, which made them all appear
severely constipated. The writers never successfully injected the little
character insights we might have gotten in each episode - they could only
use a sledge hammer. The result were wooden characters that indeed became
characatures. Same goes for DS9 (which in our home is sometimes called
Sisko's Creek) and Veeger.

SG has woven little tidbits of characterizations into their scripts from the
start. They've done it with a deft hand and a light touch. The only episode
that seemed to go beyond this was the first season episode Emancipation, my
least favorite episode. The result is that we have come to expect certain
individual reactions from the SG1 team to the situations that they find
themselves in each week. Sometimes these reactions reinforce the personality
we have been already shown, sometimes they surprise us and are different. I
like a few surprises, just not inconsistency. So far, SG has a great track
record for this and I hope they continue as they have been going.

ephia

Allie Andrews

Oct 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/9/00

Diane Brewster <diane.b...@btinternet.com> wrote

> >Can we exchange tender glance for smouldering look?
> >
> occassionally!

Excellent.

I like his smouldering look. It makes me tingle.

<VBEG>

Allie

Allie Andrews

Oct 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/9/00

lex <l...@luthor.demon.co.uk> wrote

> No, she's got that wrong - it was definitely the A-team that did that. And
> then they used cabbages to fire at the enemy.

LOL

I vaguely remember the A-Team doing something with cabbages! Funnily enough
when some one explained to me what MacGuyver was all about the described it
as just like the A-Team except there was only one man instead of a team.

Allie

Diane Brewster

Oct 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/9/00

Allie Andrews wrote in message <8rsofp$dee$1...@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>...

ah well to each their own, the tender glance would have *me* drooling at his
feet in an instant, much sexier than the smouldering look<g>

Faron

Oct 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/9/00

"Allie Andrews" <al...@jupiter23.fsnet.co.uk> skrev i melding

> I vaguely remember the A-Team doing something with cabbages! Funnily
enough
> when some one explained to me what MacGuyver was all about the described
it
> as just like the A-Team except there was only one man instead of a team.

LOL
I usually describe the A-team as a team of MacGyvers with guns.... :)

Faron

lex

Oct 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/9/00
Diane Brewster wrote in message <8rt20n$5r1$1...@uranium.btinternet.com>...

Oh, put it away, the pair of you!
Honestly, the tongues hanging out around here are unbelievable <g>.

Lex

Diane Brewster

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00

lex wrote in message
<971130387.10977.0...@news.demon.co.uk>...

>Oh, put it away, the pair of you!
>Honestly, the tongues hanging out around here are unbelievable <g>.

not so unbelievable when you know *who* the objects of our desire are <bg>

anyway, being an intellectual, I only want Jack for his mind!

diane <exam on thursday......:-(((( >

marik...@my-deja.com

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00
In article <8ri66q$q4$1...@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>,
"Allie Andrews" <al...@jupiter23.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> Diane Brewster <diane.b...@btinternet.com> wrote

> > You're right, we NEED a "JAck saves the day with no help from
anyone and
> > despite Daniel" episode!
>
> Absolutely.........I would love to see Daniel completely mess up
risking the
> whole of earth as we know it - and then Jack saving the world.
>
> Allie

Not an unlikely outcome... It can happen, that oneday they meet
a bad guy who is really bad, and can't be simple convinced (as
if we were in real life). I also have some doubts, that a robot
can change his mind as we saw it, but let's keep up our idealist
approach. After all in a Show we can always count on miracles :)

Marika

Allie Andrews

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00

lex <l...@luthor.demon.co.uk> wrote

> Oh, put it away, the pair of you!
> Honestly, the tongues hanging out around here are unbelievable <g>.

LOL

I'll have you know my tongue was firmly in my cheek!

Allie

Allie Andrews

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00

Diane Brewster <diane.b...@btinternet.com> wrote

> ah well to each their own, the tender glance would have *me* drooling at
his
> feet in an instant, much sexier than the smouldering look<g>

I am afraid I have a thing for the tough guy who doesn't show his tender
side much. A sort of modern day Mr Darcy type would be my ideal. Full of
dark, smouldering passion waiting to be ignited........

Allie

Allie Andrews

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00

Faron <fa...@c2i.net> wrote

> LOL
> I usually describe the A-team as a team of MacGyvers with guns.... :)

Hehehe sounds about right.

but why is it that no matter how many times the guns were shot NO ONE EVER
GOT HURT?

Allie

Allie Andrews

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00

Diane Brewster <diane.b...@btinternet.com> wrote

> anyway, being an intellectual, I only want Jack for his mind!

And I just saw a giant pink pig flying in the sky..............

> diane <exam on thursday......:-(((( >

*comfort*

Good luck!

Allie

marik...@my-deja.com

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00
In article <8rdkvc$hmp$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
jmas...@my-deja.com wrote:
> I believe I've read somewhere that we get an episode similar to this
> description later this season. But in the end, does it matter? This is
> an ensemble show. A *team* show. Each of the characters brings his/her
> strengths and weaknesses to the mix...together forming something
> greater than they can accomplish individually. It's the interaction of
> those strengths and weaknesses that makes them so successful, imho...
>
> Jmas1959

You're right. Probably that's why some people miss the teamleader
this year.

Jette Goldie

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00

Allie Andrews <al...@jupiter23.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> Diane Brewster <diane.b...@btinternet.com> wrote
>
> > anyway, being an intellectual, I only want Jack for his mind!
>
> And I just saw a giant pink pig flying in the sky..............

Price of bacon has gone sky high.

--
Jette
boss...@scotlandmail.com

Faron

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00

> but why is it that no matter how many times the guns were shot NO ONE
EVER
> GOT HURT?

Hey, they shot Murdock!!!! And B.A......! :)

Faron