ATTN DAVID STIPES: a new config of Dominion Battlecruiser

ibc...@ibctel.anet.cz

Jun 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/30/98

Hi, Some people around here claim that a different configuration of the
Dominion Battlecruiser was seen in "By Inferno's Light", in the scene where
Garak and Worf's runabout is being attacked. It supposedly has a lower angle
between the nacelles and one more impulse engine. Can you confirm this?
Thanks. Boris

David Stipes

Jul 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/1/98

ibc...@ibctel.anet.cz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some people around here claim that a different configuration of the
> Dominion Battlecruiser was seen in "By Inferno's Light", in the scene where
> Garak and Worf's runabout is being attacked. It supposedly has a lower angle
> between the nacelles and one more impulse engine. Can you confirm this?

Hello!

It was the standard Dominion Cruiser. It was not modified.

David

Frank Gerratana

Jul 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/1/98

Are you certain? There are several structural differences between this
ship (which I'll call the "V-ship") and the battlecruiser.

These images show the V-ship:

http://frankg.dgne.com/misc/jhship.jpg
http://frankg.dgne.com/misc/jhship2.jpg

And these images show the battlecruiser:

http://frankg.dgne.com/misc/battlecruiser.jpg
http://frankg.dgne.com/misc/battlecruiser2.jpg

The visible differences are as follows:

- The V-ship's wings are at an angle, whereas the battlecruiser's wings
curve downward
- The V-ship's nacelles are attached directly to the ends of its wings,
whereas the battlecruiser's nacelles are attached at an angle
- The V-ship's wings are longer (relative to the rest of the ship) and
thinner than the battlecruiser's
- The V-ship has a "bulge" structure with windows on its ventral side; the
battlecruiser does not
- The V-ship appears to be around 3 times the length of the attack ships
(~300m); the battlecruiser is supposedly over twice this length (762m, if
I remember correctly)

Frank Gerratana ----- fra...@dgne.com ----- http://frankg.dgne.com/
DGN Enterprises ----- in...@dgne.com ------- http://www.dgne.com/

David Stipes

Jul 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/3/98

Hello!

Nice images! Both sets of images ARE the Dominion Cruiser. However,
there are differences that come from changes in the CGI model to make it
match the physical model. Remember, the CGI work for these shows were
done by different companies at different times.

David Stipes, Visual Effects Supervisor, DS-9

ibc...@ibctel.anet.cz

Jul 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/3/98

In article <359C9F...@earthlink.net>,

So that's why - I was almost starting to wonder why the Defiant is more
elongated in some shots and shorter in others. Speaking of the Defiant,
what's the deal on the shuttlebay doors? Is the unique layout seen in "A
Sound of Her Voice" hidden beneath the ablative armour shapes (seen in every
other episode)?

Jose Gonzalez

Jul 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/3/98

Oh,come on come on......Oh Hell Yeah