Notes for PABF05 (Moe Goes from Rags to Riches)

Matthew Garvey

Jan 29, 2012, 8:46:34 PM1/29/12
to mx...@cwru.edu
Well that was remarkable from start to finish... for being ridiculous.
I enjoy a good high concept, and I appreciate the "unlikely tale of an
object" angle... but this episode just didn't know what to do with
itself. It really didn't need a subplot (maybe the spirits felt the
main story was a little thin, but wouldn't there be plenty of room to
flesh it out?), or the weird predictability of each act using the
subplot as an opener. But the real problem is that it just wasn't all
that funny (or touching) - full of obvious gags, you know? It could
have been a lot better without much effort.

DYN:
...one of King Nelson's wives is apparently Disney's Princess Jasmine?
...the map has some labels in English, but entries like "Athena" (not
the Latin or Greek for Athens, by the way) and Carthago (which is
Latin), and then "spAIN" (where the capital SP are smaller)?
...Bart seems to be filling FLOATING balloons with oxygen... on
Everest?
...a LOT of looped (but not reanimated) lines in the Bart/Milhouse
subplot?

Previous episode stuff
NABF13: Milhouse's affinity for Finding Nemo
DABF08: The peasant French Simpsons
2F15: Marge's loom skills
7F18: Burns commissions Marge for a portrait of himself, and it's not
what he expected, but beautiful (I like how attention was not called
to this)

Meta
Jimbo the guard tells King Nelson that he's already discarded almost
500 wives; Nelson thinks it's weird that he's counting. We're 2
episodes away from The Simpsons' 500th episode. I hope it's better.
(Oddly there doesn't seem to be that much hoopla about it yet!)

Couch gag
This is the first HD/widescreen couch gag to be used three times (and
the first overall in about 4 years). It is also missing the pained
sound Lisa/Marcia makes when hit by a ball in the Brady Bunch segment.

dump...@hotmail.com

Jan 30, 2012, 1:44:50 AM1/30/12
DYN: That at one point, Homer was "Dancing On The Ceiling":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XxshEdcfAM

SparkoHeaps

Jan 30, 2012, 9:59:22 AM1/30/12
On Jan 29, 11:44 pm, dumpst...@hotmail.com wrote:
> DYN: That at one point, Homer was "Dancing On The Ceiling":
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XxshEdcfAM

He wasn't the first one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8n7WQIXQDs

Michael Black

Jan 30, 2012, 10:31:14 AM1/30/12
On Sun, 29 Jan 2012, Matthew Garvey wrote:

> Well that was remarkable from start to finish... for being ridiculous.
> I enjoy a good high concept, and I appreciate the "unlikely tale of an
> object" angle... but this episode just didn't know what to do with
> itself. It really didn't need a subplot (maybe the spirits felt the
> main story was a little thin, but wouldn't there be plenty of room to
> flesh it out?), or the weird predictability of each act using the
> subplot as an opener. But the real problem is that it just wasn't all
> that funny (or touching) - full of obvious gags, you know? It could
> have been a lot better without much effort.

I'm not usually critical of the episodes, but this one seemed like it had
potential, and then failed. The idea of a tapestry that foretold the
future was interesting, but then it didn't really do anything but be a
joke. They spent long time in the beginning, then glossed over things
towards the end. I thought it was going to be like the Tall Tales episode
or any of those episodes where something is used to put the family in
different situations from literature or history, but that didn't quite
happen. It has similarities to the episode with "Bobo" the bear, but not
only did that episode get the history out of the way fast, it showed the
bear in a bunch of more significant points in history.

The idea probably would have been better if the rag wasn't that old. Set
its beginnings in the 20th century, the beginning, and have it travel
through history.

Michael

Brett A. Pasternack

Jan 30, 2012, 9:41:39 PM1/30/12
dump...@hotmail.com wrote:

> DYN: That at one point, Homer was "Dancing On The Ceiling":

And dancing to a song by the same guy who sang "Dancing On The Ceiling",
no less.

There was a period where having everyone in town dance and celebrate
together was a common way to end episodes; see Sweets And Sour Marge
(DABF03), for example. Having it happen at the start of the episode was
an odd twist.

The Doctor (as portrayed by Matt Smith)

Jan 31, 2012, 3:54:33 AM1/31/12
On Jan 30, 9:41 pm, "Brett A. Pasternack" <bretta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> dumpst...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > DYN: That at one point, Homer was "Dancing On The Ceiling":
>
> And dancing to a song by the same guy who sang "Dancing On The Ceiling",
> no less.

Lionel Ritchie.

lugnut

Jan 31, 2012, 7:54:00 AM1/31/12

So am I alone on this, or does anyone else think this one may truly be
the actual "Worst Episode Ever"? I'm usually a defender of late-era
Simpsons and I've liked most of this season, but this thing was a
mess. I'm not even sure I cracked a smile once. Something was just
strangely off about the whole thing..

-lugnut

SparkoHeaps

Jan 31, 2012, 10:16:56 AM1/31/12
On Jan 31, 5:54 am, lug...@NOSPAMhotmail.com (lugnut) wrote:
> So am I alone on this, or does anyone else think this one may truly be
> the actual "Worst Episode Ever"?

It has some pretty strong competition from pretty much all of the
other episodes I managed to see this season.

Wiseguy

Jan 31, 2012, 3:40:17 PM1/31/12
SparkoHeaps <spark...@gmail.com> wrote in news:7d2dfc48-0180-4ab2-b6ca-
15f8d9...@rk3g2000pbb.googlegroups.com:
If all you expect (or want) is to see something bad, that's probably
all you'll notice.

Captain Infinity

Jan 31, 2012, 6:22:47 PM1/31/12
Once Upon A Time,
True, and especially true when they shovel crap at us week after week.

**
Captain Infinity

Brett A. Pasternack

Feb 2, 2012, 7:11:25 PM2/2/12
I don't know if I'd *quite* go that far, but it was pretty darn bad,
yeah.