George Carlin

vic arpeggio

Jun 23, 2008, 1:08:57 PM6/23/08
I can't believe there hasn't been a post about his death already, so
here goes. It's really too bad, because his most recent workwas some
of the best he's ever done, and it seemed like he was only beginning
to get good and pissed off about the current state of affairs. Give
'em hell wherever you are, George!

Beets. Beeeeets. Beets me.

Vic

jrob...@wisctv.com

Jun 23, 2008, 1:27:01 PM6/23/08
When Moranis debuted his Carlin impression, it was in a period when
Carlin was sort of laying low after suffering a heart attack. When
Carlin reappeared, his humor was less of the "where is the blue food?"
that Moranis parodied and more universal, more topical, and more
angry.

I'd like to give Moranis some credit for the transformation. He
probably had nothing to do with it, but I still like to think he did.

vic arpeggio

Jun 23, 2008, 1:39:39 PM6/23/08

Yeah, his material wasn't quite as biting and edgy at that time
compared to his real groundbreaking stuff, and it seemed like he was
just mailing in a lot of it. I've always thought Rick's impression was
pretty tough on him, so you could be right about it helping to give
him a little kick back in the right direction.

Vic

George Hiebert

Jun 23, 2008, 8:16:01 PM6/23/08
There's white wine and red wine but no green wine. Green grapes, but no
green wine.
Weird.

RIP Mr Carlin

kitsc...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2008, 8:21:24 PM6/23/08

Yeah I loved Rick M.'s impersonation. But when I certainly knew from
when I was young that he was an iconoclastic comedian. All the way
back from the 12(?) words you can't say on TV, which got him arrested
in Milwaukee in '72 or so. My old boss was at that concert.

RIP,

TS

Paul Morris

Jun 23, 2008, 8:39:39 PM6/23/08
On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 01:21:24 +0100, kitsc...@gmail.com wrote
(in article
<b7909705-9ef5-4ed0...@d19g2000prm.googlegroups.com>):

Actually it was only seven words. I'd love to know the other five you are
thinking of you sh*t p*ss f*ck c*nt c*ocksucker m*therfucker*

PM

* Opps, sorry TS: yes you have nice tits.

(PS: work and jetlag requires a whole new profanasuarus).

Trevor Stenson

Jun 23, 2008, 9:21:43 PM6/23/08
In article <0001HW.C48600DB...@news.btinternet.com>,
Paul Morris <zon...@sctv.com> wrote:

yes, I remembered right after I posted (should've goggled first)

Tits, what a friendly word . . .

TS

--
SCTV Locations:
http://members.shaw.ca/pumpkin27/iwebber2

feed://members.shaw.ca/kitschy/iwebber/TheStenonsNewDigs/Blog/rss.xml

http://kitschyboy.stumbleupon.com/

Trevor Stenson

Jun 23, 2008, 9:24:14 PM6/23/08
In article <51X7k.22840$kx.21546@pd7urf3no>,
"George Hiebert" <ge...@shaw.ca> wrote:

Oh and when I got home just now my wife told me: "Hey George Carlin
died"!

and I replied: "Really? . . . Weirrrrd"!

She even had to laugh at that bit of black humor.

-TS

Justin Pate

Jun 23, 2008, 9:29:39 PM6/23/08
RIP

Dusty Towne

Jun 23, 2008, 10:31:51 PM6/23/08
On Jun 23, 9:21 pm, Trevor Stenson <kits...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> In article <0001HW.C48600DB006DE095B01AD...@news.btinternet.com>,
>  Paul Morris <zon...@sctv.com> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 01:21:24 +0100, kitschys...@gmail.com wrote
> > (in article
> > <b7909705-9ef5-4ed0-886b-5c1e32bcc...@d19g2000prm.googlegroups.com>):

> > > Yeah I loved Rick M.'s impersonation.  But when I certainly knew from
> > > when I was young that he was an iconoclastic comedian.  All the way
> > > back from the 12(?) words you can't say on TV, which got him arrested
> > > in Milwaukee in '72 or so.  My old boss was at that concert.
>
> > > RIP,
>
> > > TS
>
> > Actually it was only seven words. I'd love to know the other five you are
> > thinking of you sh*t p*ss f*ck c*nt c*ocksucker m*therfucker*
>
> > PM
>
> > * Opps, sorry TS: yes you have nice tits.
>
> > (PS: work and jetlag requires a whole new profanasuarus).
>
> yes, I remembered right after I posted (should've goggled first)
>
> Tits, what a friendly word . . .
>
> TS
>
> --
> SCTV Locations:http://members.shaw.ca/pumpkin27/iwebber2
>
> feed://members.shaw.ca/kitschy/iwebber/TheStenonsNewDigs/Blog/rss.xml
>
> http://kitschyboy.stumbleupon.com/- Hide quoted text -

Hey tits, meet toots!

I had completely forgotten that Rick had done GC until I read this.
How I could forget that, don't ask me. 2008 is really not a good year
for celebs impersonated on SCTV. I saw Joe turned 67 yesterday and it
made me wonder briefly what the hell we're gonna do when *they*
start.. y'know...

Michael O'Connor

Jun 23, 2008, 10:53:30 PM6/23/08
Carlin was one of a kind. He successfully made the transition from
hippie comic to curmudgeon, and he always had something interesting to
say and he always made me laugh. I admired him for sticking to his
roots and not leaving standup behind to star in movies or TV like a
lot of stand ups did. He dabbled in TV and movies, and gave a
terrific dramatic performance as Nick Nolte's flamboyantly gay
neighbor in The Prince of Tides. I saw him live three times, and his
live shows was about 75 new material, and he would always do one or
two of his classic routines. I think the definitive Carlin concert
was his Carlin at Carnegie special from 1982; I've watched it so many
times I can pretty much recite the entire show from memory.

elaich

Jun 24, 2008, 10:12:04 AM6/24/08
vic arpeggio <greenge...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:ed70510f-92a4-43cf-
aca3-a0a...@y38g2000hsy.googlegroups.com:

> Beets. Beeeeets. Beets me.

Wonderful WINO..... the big sound in the big town!

Moe Berg

Jun 24, 2008, 12:38:35 PM6/24/08
On Jun 23, 9:24 pm, Trevor Stenson <kits...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> In article <51X7k.22840$kx.21546@pd7urf3no>,
> "George Hiebert" <g...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> > There's white wine and red wine but no green wine. Green grapes, but no
> > green wine.
> > Weird.
>
> > RIP Mr Carlin
>
> Oh and when I got home just now my wife told me: "Hey George Carlin
> died"!
>
> and I replied: "Really? . . . Weirrrrd"!
>
> She even had to laugh at that bit of black humor.
>
> -TS
>
> LOL! He probably would have appreciated that remark!

Farewell, GC. You will be missed.

Count Floyd

Jun 24, 2008, 2:29:29 PM6/24/08

Don't forget Al Sleet, the hippy-dippy weatherman!

e-y...@hotmail.com

Jun 24, 2008, 8:32:55 PM6/24/08
> >http://kitschyboy.stumbleupon.com/-Hide quoted text -

> Hey tits, meet toots!
>
> I had completely forgotten that Rick had done GC until I read this.
> How I could forget that, don't ask me. 2008 is really not a good year
> for celebs impersonated on SCTV. I saw Joe turned 67 yesterday and it
> made me wonder briefly what the hell we're gonna do when *they*
> start.. y'know...

Dewey Decimal System?

I always thought his baseball vs. football riff was so well thought
out.

elaich

Jun 24, 2008, 10:55:23 PM6/24/08
"Count Floyd" <Count...@MonsterChillerHorrorTheater.com> wrote in

> Don't forget Al Sleet, the hippy-dippy weatherman!

See, that was beyond me at that point in my life. I was 13, living in a
jerkwater town in North Carolina, and had no idea what a hippie was, or why
any of that stuff was funny. I do today, of course....

That "newscast" was hilarious, and whan I made some tapes for my old high
school buddies some years ago, I included the whole thing, dressed up with
intro and outro jingles, spots, etc.

"In other news, longshoremen walked off the piers today. Rescue operations
are continuing."

"Now here's a partial score - Green Bay, 37!"

Trevor Stenson

Jun 25, 2008, 8:50:40 AM6/25/08

It occurs to me with hearing quotes of Carlin's such at these again,
that he must have been a big influence (either directly or indirectly)
on people like Stephen Wright, etc.

If you read that above quote at a different energy level - it sounds
very Stephen Wright.

And some people regarded Stephen Wright, whom I love, as coming totally
out of left field.

--TS

RS

Jun 25, 2008, 5:27:32 PM6/25/08
> >http://kitschyboy.stumbleupon.com/-Hide quoted text -

> Hey tits, meet toots!
>
> I had completely forgotten that Rick had done GC until I read this.
> How I could forget that, don't ask me. 2008 is really not a good year
> for celebs impersonated on SCTV. I saw Joe turned 67 yesterday and it
> made me wonder briefly what the hell we're gonna do when *they*
> start.. y'know...

I didn't know Joe was 67. That explains a lot about his level of
acting/comic maturity that he brought to the show. Since he was
in his late 30's at the time, that's older than the age you usually
associate with SNL comedians.

--
Robert Pearson
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Chris Odorjan

Jun 25, 2008, 8:49:16 PM6/25/08
On 06/24/08 10:12 AM, elaich wrote:

> Wonderful WINO..... the big sound in the big town!

BING-BONG! Five minutes past the big hour of five-o'clock!

Son Of WINO from FM & AM was probably the first George Carlin bit I
heard... I put on the album on Monday night for the first time in years...

--
Chris Odorjan - codo...@gmail.com - http://www.execulink.com/~bobnet/

e-y...@hotmail.com

Jun 28, 2008, 10:09:22 PM6/28/08
On Jun 25, 8:49 pm, Chris Odorjan <codor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/24/08 10:12 AM, elaich wrote:
>
> > Wonderful WINO..... the big sound in the big town!
>
> BING-BONG! Five minutes past the big hour of five-o'clock!
>
> Son Of WINO from FM & AM was probably the first George Carlin bit I
> heard... I put on the album on Monday night for the first time in years...
>
> --
> Chris Odorjan - codor...@gmail.com -http://www.execulink.com/~bobnet/

SNL is going to run its very first show ever tonight, which George
Carlin hosted, as a tribute to late comic.

elaich

Jun 29, 2008, 1:16:12 PM6/29/08
e-y...@hotmail.com wrote in news:064bb610-7085-47d3-b869-ef9f395de0c1
@z72g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

> SNL is going to run its very first show ever tonight, which George
> Carlin hosted, as a tribute to late comic.

Uh oh. They're taking a chance on letting their current audience see that
the show actually was once original, fresh, and actually funny? That could
be dangerous.

Trevor Stenson

Jun 29, 2008, 1:37:32 PM6/29/08

Yes, I 'taped' it and was thankful for the heads up.

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. It should bring back memories!

Cheers,

Justin Pate

Jun 29, 2008, 2:17:02 PM6/29/08

I saw it last night.

I will say one thing; old SNL sketches featured a subtlety to the
comedy that wasn't all that different from what SCTV did......though
SCTV was still better.

Comedy in general was just different back then, I guess. Comedians
were more realistic, conversational, and laid back in their
delivery.... these days comedy is all about: "look at the freak
pulling down his pants and mooning us! Isn't that hilarious and
outrageous!" I'm sick of outrageousness in comedy.....make a return
back to comedians acting civilly.