WKRP, Newhart, Wonder Years, Taxi and more head to TNN!

pavan...@yahoo.com

Jan 17, 2001, 4:03:44 PM1/17/01
Ok this explains why WKRP and Newhart were gone from N@N, maybe Taxi
and Wonder Years will leave N@N too...also Miami Vice is now explained!

Beginning Monday, Jan. 22, TNN: THE
NATIONAL NETWORK will revamp its Monday-thru-Friday daytime, fringe and
late
night programming schedule. Among the popular off-net series to join
the
schedule are: THE ROCKFORD FILES, PICKET FENCES, MIAMI VICE, WKRP IN
CINCINNATI, TAXI, NEWHART and THE WONDER YEARS. In addition, TNN, which
recently acquired 43 popular movie titles from Paramount, will add, for
the
first time, a daytime movie Mondays-thru-Fridays at 4:00-6:00 PM, ET/PT
in
addition to its already scheduled weeknight primetime movies on
Tuesdays,
Wednesdays and Thursdays (9:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT).
"We are refreshing the network, with hits of the 80's and 90's to
begin
the process of attracting a new audience to TNN, in anticipation of
original
programming to be introduced by the network beginning this summer,"
says Diane
Robina, General Manager, TNN.
TNN will offer a whole new daytime schedule, stripping the newly
acquired
series Monday-thru-Friday, with double episodes of each half-hour
series in a
one-hour time slot. Beginning at 9:00 AM, two episodes of WKRP IN
CINCINNATI
(9:00-10:00 AM, ET/PT) will be telecast Mondays-thru-Fridays, followed
by two
episodes each of NEWHART (10:00-11:00 AM, ET/PT), THE WONDER YEARS
(11:00 AM-12:00 Noon, ET/PT) and TAXI (12:00 Noon-1:00 PM, ET/PT). THE
ROCKFORD FILES will telecast in daytime (2:00-3:00PM, ET/PT), followed
by
PICKET FENCES (3:00 PM-4:00 PM, ET/PT), which leads into the movie
(4:00-6:00
PM, ET/PT). A second episode of THE ROCKFORD FILES will be telecast
6:00-7:00
PM, ET/PT. MIAMI VICE will telecast weekdays 7:00-8:00 PM, ET/PT and
again at
12:00 Midnight-1:00 AM, ET/PT.
THE ROCKFORD FILES, a hit on NBC from 1974-1980, featured James
Garner,
already gaining pop status as "Maverick," in a new role as Jim
Rockford, an
ex-con turned private detective. He had a penchant for taking cases
that the
police, certain they had been solved, had closed, and counted among his
friends and associates many ex-cons.
In MIAMI VICE, a stylish, MTV-influenced police drama series set
against
the pulse of a glamorous resort city, Don Johnson starred as a rough-
edged
Miami vice detective, Sonny Crockett. Johnson set a fashion trend with
his
expensive pastel sports jackets worn over t-shirts with no socks. The
series
attracted many celebrities cameo appearances including James Brown, Phil
Collins, Ted Nugent, boxing promoter Don King, boxing champ Roberto
Duran,
comic Tommy Chong and Chrysler Chairman Lee Iacocca.
TAXI was critically acclaimed for its ensemble cast, featuring Judd
Hirsch, Danny DeVito, Christopher Lloyd, Tony Danza, Andy Kaufman,
Marilu
Henner and Carol Kane, and for the charm and wit of its writing.
Telecasting
on ABC from 1978-mid-1982, then on NBC from Fall 1982-1983, TAXI was
the story
of the happy cabbies of New York's Sunshine Cab Company, many of whom
were
working part-time as they tried to make it in other fields.
WKRP IN CINCINNATI, telecast on CBS from 1978-1982, is set in a
money-losing Cincinnati radio station, full of off-beat characters,
including
the new program director Andy Travis, played by Gary Sandy, and the
station's
sexy receptionist Jennifer Marlowe played by Loni Anderson, who was
twice
nominated for Emmys for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama
Series. The
series catapulted Anderson's career as the sex symbol of the 70's.
PICKET FENCES, a critically acclaimed dramatic series created and
produced
by David E. Kelley ("Ally McBeal," "The Practice," "Chicago Hope") for
CBS
from 1992-1996, revolved around the strange events in what appeared to
be a
quaint, normal town of Rome, Wisconsin. PICKET FENCES was nominated for
12 Emmys, including Outstanding Drama Series in 1993 and 1994.
THE WONDER YEARS, which aired on ABC from 1988-93, is a critically
acclaimed series about suburban life in the 1960's and early 70's. A
four-time Emmy Award winner, including Outstanding Comedy Series in its
debut
season, THE WONDER YEARS stars Fred Savage as Kevin Arnold, a typical
teenager
with all the growing pains associated with high school, parents and
siblings
in the era of Richard Nixon, The Rolling Stones and free love.
NEWHART brought Bob Newhart's relaxed style, gentle humor and
perfect
comedy timing to the role of Dick Loudon, a New York writer of "how-to"
books
who retires to run an historic Vermont inn. Leaving the city for
Vermont, he
and his wife Joanna, played by Mary Frann, meet an assortment of
eccentric
characters, including three weird brothers, Larry, Darryl and Darryl,
the
world's most inept handymen. NEWHART was nominated for 15 Emmys during
its
telecast on CBS from 1982-1990.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

LazyGirl

Jan 19, 2001, 8:30:34 PM1/19/01
So does that mean they aren't going to show Alice anymore? I was so happy to
see that show on there...I knew it was too good to last..

ChriszXmas

Jan 19, 2001, 9:11:40 PM1/19/01

Yeah it stinks they took it off.
Along with The Real McCoys and TV's Bloopers.

Email to,
ques...@country.com and let them know you would like to see it back on the
lineup somewhere.

I like these shows too.

Jude Cormier

Jan 22, 2001, 11:12:14 AM1/22/01

<pavan...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:9451b7$j48$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...
> Ok this explains why WKRP and Newhart were gone from N@N, maybe Taxi
> and Wonder Years will leave N@N too...also Miami Vice is now explained!

I saw your other post at rec.arts.tv about Fox Family acquiring Wonder
Years. Since TNN is part of the CBS/Viacom family as is N@N and
TVland--maybe TNN is burning off N@N's contract for The Wonder Years?

My complaint is that we've seen a lot of the same shows jump from network to
network to network while a bunch of good ones still remain in the vault
gathering dust. If someone could revive CBN Cable's 80's lineup of Patty
Duke, The Farmer's Daughter, Hazel, Please Don't Eat the Daisies, and The
Doris Day Show--that would at least be an alternative.

Dori

Jan 22, 2001, 7:54:07 PM1/22/01

"> My complaint is that we've seen a lot of the same shows jump from network
> network to network while a bunch of good ones still remain in the vault
> gathering dust. If someone could revive CBN Cable's 80's lineup of Patty
> Duke, The Farmer's Daughter, Hazel, Please Don't Eat the Daisies, and The
> Doris Day Show--that would at least be an alternative.

Sounds good to me! I really like the black & whites. Wish we could have
seen all of the episodes of My 3 Sons. They missed a handful.

Dori

Doug Donnelly

Jan 24, 2001, 10:59:19 AM1/24/01
How about Nick at Nite brings back some of the shows they had on when
Nickelodeon first decided to stay on 24 hours.

Remember it was called Camp Nickelodeon. It'd be cool to see Dennis the Menace
again.

Better yet, how about bringing back some classics from the 80s, since that seems
to be their newest kick. Silver Spoons, Punky Brewster, Gimme a Break.

Steve Mindykowski

Jan 24, 2001, 2:11:42 PM1/24/01
Doug Donnelly wrote:

> How about Nick at Nite brings back some of the shows they had on when
> Nickelodeon first decided to stay on 24 hours.
>
> Remember it was called Camp Nickelodeon. It'd be cool to see Dennis the Menace
> again.

"Camp Nickelodeon" was seen in the late-1980s during the day on the main Nickelodeon
portion, not on Nick-At-Nite -- Nick at Nite was around since Nick expanded to
around-the-clock in 1985. Though until the early-1990s, both Nick and Nick-At-Nite
had "Dennis The Menace".

--
Steve Mindykowski
rugr...@ix.netcom.com

Dori

Jan 25, 2001, 7:12:04 AM1/25/01

">
> Remember it was called Camp Nickelodeon. It'd be cool to see Dennis the
Menace
> again.

I agree. And Flipper.

Dori

smatth...@my-deja.com

Jan 28, 2001, 9:55:26 PM1/28/01
In article <20010119211140...@ng-md1.aol.com>,
It does seem kind of dumb that TNN would take Alice off. That show ran
for nine seasons. So, running in an hour block, it wouldn't burn out
quite as fast as WKRP and Taxi. Let's hope that either another cable
channel picks Alice up or that TNN decides to put it back on. Maybe TNN
will put it back on when they stop showing The Wonder Years in a few
months.

ChriszXmas

Jan 29, 2001, 1:13:56 AM1/29/01

Yes Please TNN should add it back right away!

Jude Cormier

Jan 29, 2001, 12:03:38 PM1/29/01

ChriszXmas <chris...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >In article <20010119211140...@ng-md1.aol.com>,
> > chris...@aol.com (ChriszXmas) wrote:
> >>
> >> Yeah it stinks they took it off.
> >> Along with The Real McCoys and TV's Bloopers.
> >>
> >> Email to,
> >> ques...@country.com and let them know you would like to see it back
> >on the
> >> lineup somewhere.
> >>
> >> I like these shows too.

> >happy to

Did TNN take off the Dukes as well?? As loyal as that fan base is--betcha
a lot of nasty e-mails were sent TNN's way!

ChriszXmas

Jan 29, 2001, 2:43:36 PM1/29/01

No they moved it. It's on at 2am.

Jude Cormier

Jan 30, 2001, 10:09:49 AM1/30/01

> >Did TNN take off the Dukes as well?? As loyal as that fan base
is--betcha
> >a lot of nasty e-mails were sent TNN's way!
> >

> No they moved it. It's on at 2am.

Gee, what a great time slot--NOT!!! Was it necessary to add The Rockford
Files--that was already on A&E, Goodlife TV, and WB Cable. Sheesh!

ChriszXmas

Jan 30, 2001, 12:22:14 PM1/30/01

I would not complain. At least it is still on and can be taped and watched
whenever wanted.
Now I couldn't tape Alice or watch it, Cause it's not on at anytime.

I'd be happy if they added it at 5am. Something is better then never at all.

Jude Cormier

Jan 30, 2001, 4:36:39 PM1/30/01

> I would not complain. At least it is still on and can be taped and watched
> whenever wanted.
> Now I couldn't tape Alice or watch it, Cause it's not on at anytime.
>
> I'd be happy if they added it at 5am. Something is better then never at
all.

Point taken. I'm not a big Dukes fan, but I knew that show has a very loyal
following and for TNN to just discount that...

I'm a big fan of Alice and would also love to see the reruns of Flo as well.

ChriszXmas

Jan 30, 2001, 7:16:28 PM1/30/01

TNN treats shows better then others, So I would rather it come back on TNN.

I don't see Nick at Nite/TVLand as a good channel. All they do it squeeze up
ends, talk over them, put so much graphics they are squeezing the show out.

I would not mind seeing the Flo show on the weekends either.

Dori

Jan 30, 2001, 8:37:09 PM1/30/01

> I don't see Nick at Nite/TVLand as a good channel. All they do it squeeze
up
> ends, talk over them, put so much graphics they are squeezing the show
out.

> I would not mind seeing the Flo show on the weekends either.

I have to admit I watched NAN and TVLand much more in past years. They used
to be the best channels on TV. Their new lineups do nothing for me. I
don't watch NAN at all now. I only watch about 4 series on TVLand. I can't
stand these Fandemonium weekends. They're good for taping, but not much
else. How many episodes can you watch of one show in a 48 hour period??????
I do look forward to the Friday 5-6pm time slot, because most of the shows
chosen haven't been seen in a long time. (I forget what this hour is
called.)

We won't even get into the "watchability" of the '70s and '80s sitcoms.
(They just don't hold up like the shows from the '50s/60s, IMHO.) For me,
they're only "watchable" if they haven't been beaten to death on other cable
channels.

Dori

Dori

Jan 30, 2001, 8:37:09 PM1/30/01

> I don't see Nick at Nite/TVLand as a good channel. All they do it squeeze
up
> ends, talk over them, put so much graphics they are squeezing the show
out.

I have to admit, I used to watch NAN and TVLand much more often in past
years. Their new lineups do nothing for me. I don't watch NAN at all
anymore, and I only watch about 4 series on TVLand. I hate the Fandemonium
weekends. They're good for taping, but little else. How many times can you
watch the same show in a 48 hour period! I do like the 5-6:00pm (EST) time
period on Friday, because most of the shows chosen haven't been aired often,
or at all. (What is the name of this hour??)

And we won't even get into the "watchability" of the '70s and '80s sitcoms.
They are only watchable to me if they haven't been beaten to death on other
cable channels, whereas the sitcoms from the '50s and '60s, IMHO, can be
viewed over and over again. They seem to have more "staying power."

Dori

ChriszXmas

Jan 31, 2001, 12:52:06 AM1/31/01

Without the End Credits and Theme the show isn't the same for me.

The shows are not the problem the altered end music and screen are and the
graphics on the show for other programs.

If they dumped all that they be a little better.

Paul Goebel

Jan 31, 2001, 3:36:24 AM1/31/01
>I do like the 5-6:00pm (EST) time
>period on Friday, because most of the shows chosen haven't been aired often,
>or at all. (What is the name of this hour??)

Please tell me this is a joke?
From the King of TV
"Who's the King?" -The King
www.thekingoftv.com

Jude Cormier

Jan 31, 2001, 9:54:08 AM1/31/01

Dori <dga...@ptdprolog.net> wrote in message

> We won't even get into the "watchability" of the '70s and '80s sitcoms.
> (They just don't hold up like the shows from the '50s/60s, IMHO.) For me,
> they're only "watchable" if they haven't been beaten to death on other
cable
> channels.

That's one good thing about GoodlifeTV--they air shows from the 50's and
60's that other cable outlets haven't beaten to death. Shows like "It's A
Great Life", "The Rat Patrol", "Lone Wolf", etc. These shows would
otherwise probably be sitting on a vault rotting. I'm not saying they are
classic TV, but they are enjoyable half hours.

Dori

Jan 31, 2001, 6:04:08 PM1/31/01

> That's one good thing about GoodlifeTV--they air shows from the 50's and
> 60's that other cable outlets haven't beaten to death. Shows like "It's A
> Great Life", "The Rat Patrol", "Lone Wolf", etc. These shows would
> otherwise probably be sitting on a vault rotting. I'm not saying they are
> classic TV, but they are enjoyable half hours.

Yes, and I wish our cable company carried it. Luckily the cable company
that serves my work does, and I do try to tape shows from the TV's there.
I've never heard of "It's a Great Life" or "Lone Wolf". Who are the stars,
and what is the premise of these shows?

I see the Screen Gems Network has the rights to Father Knows Best. I wish
they'd do something with it--sell it, show it, or something. I love to
watch these shows that haven't been on the air in years!!!

Dori

CajunLucyFan

Feb 1, 2001, 11:18:42 AM2/1/01

> > That's one good thing about GoodlifeTV--they air shows from the 50's and
> > 60's that other cable outlets haven't beaten to death. Shows like "It's
> > Great Life", "The Rat Patrol", "Lone Wolf", etc. These shows would
> > otherwise probably be sitting on a vault rotting. I'm not saying they
are
> > classic TV, but they are enjoyable half hours.
>
> Yes, and I wish our cable company carried it. Luckily the cable company
> that serves my work does, and I do try to tape shows from the TV's there.
> I've never heard of "It's a Great Life" or "Lone Wolf". Who are the
stars,
> and what is the premise of these shows?

Well, "It's a Great Life" was a syndicated sitcom in the late 50's that
featured a pre Andy Griffith Frances Bavier doing her Aunt Bee schitick
already in this show with two bachelors underfoot to take care of--has some
of the same cornball humor used in typical 50s sitcoms. Ran for 75 episodes
and produced for Plymouth--the sponsor tag still airs LOL. Goodlife has the
copyright on it so I guess they have exclusive rights to air it. Same with
"Lone Wolf"--another 50's era syndicated half-hour--a action adventure/spy
type program--haven't watched it that much, though.

> I see the Screen Gems Network has the rights to Father Knows Best. I wish
> they'd do something with it--sell it, show it, or something. I love to
> watch these shows that haven't been on the air in years!!!

Rumor has it that Sony will end up transforming Game Show Network eventually
into a general entertainment network--with that huge Screen
Gems/Coulmbia/Tri-Star library--they have plenty to choose from. Remember
now, this is just a rumor that was circulating among the gameshow ng--so no
definite facts are yet known or have been announced. I think a Screen Gems
Network 24/7 would be a good thing for us classic tv lovers--maybe we could
finally see Bewitched again as it was intended and not butchered like N@N.

CajunLucyFan

Feb 1, 2001, 11:19:38 AM2/1/01

Paul Goebel <kingofte...@cs.comengetit> wrote in message

I need to remind myself to tape this hour--TV Land does a horrible job of
promoting it, Paul!!

ChriszXmas

Feb 1, 2001, 3:00:45 PM2/1/01

and Credits and music left alone !

CajunLucyFan

Feb 1, 2001, 6:08:12 PM2/1/01

> >Rumor has it that Sony will end up transforming Game Show Network
eventually
> >into a general entertainment network--with that huge Screen
> >Gems/Coulmbia/Tri-Star library--they have plenty to choose from.
Remember
> >now, this is just a rumor that was circulating among the gameshow ng--so
no
> >definite facts are yet known or have been announced. I think a Screen
Gems
> >Network 24/7 would be a good thing for us classic tv lovers--maybe we
could
> >finally see Bewitched again as it was intended and not butchered like
N@N.

> and Credits and music left alone !

Or in Bewitched's case--RESTORED!! :)

catnap

Feb 1, 2001, 7:30:52 PM2/1/01

"CajunLucyFan" <jhcIEA...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Don't bet on it--Sony's track record proves otherwise.

ChriszXmas

Feb 1, 2001, 10:00:24 PM2/1/01

Restored from what??
I meant intact no squeeze play or talking person over it.

Paul Goebel

Feb 2, 2001, 2:09:07 AM2/2/01
>I need to remind myself to tape this hour--TV Land does a horrible job of
>promoting it, Paul!!

Well, in their defense, the hype is over and they can't really make anymore
money off little old me.

ChriszXmas

Feb 2, 2001, 9:01:59 AM2/2/01

>>I need to remind myself to tape this hour--TV Land does a horrible job of
>>promoting it, Paul!!
>
>Well, in their defense, the hype is over and they can't really make anymore
>money off little old me.

and of course that's all they care about.

Jude Cormier

Feb 2, 2001, 9:59:03 AM2/2/01

> >> Or in Bewitched's case--RESTORED!! :)
> >

> Restored from what??
> I meant intact no squeeze play or talking person over it.

I'm referring to the fact they inserted season 1's theme music over all of
the Dick York seasons. You can go to http://www.bewitched.net and hear the
other seasons' themes. Variety is the spice of life. Season1's music is
fine but when you hear the others--WOW!!

ChriszXmas

Feb 2, 2001, 1:21:03 PM2/2/01

Who did that?

Jude Cormier

Feb 2, 2001, 7:19:48 PM2/2/01

ChriszXmas <chris...@aol.com> wrote in message

The dumbheads in charge of editing at Sony. If the Partridge Family can be
restored (With the S from Hell logo)with its original theme music for the
first season--then the same can be done for Bewitched!

ChriszXmas

Feb 2, 2001, 8:06:39 PM2/2/01

Who can tell Fox Family always chopped the End Music out.
Why is end music even composed?

Steve Mindykowski

Feb 2, 2001, 11:01:01 PM2/2/01
ChriszXmas wrote:

> Who can tell Fox Family always chopped the End Music out.
> Why is end music even composed?

The end music was back from a time when the only closing-credit intervention we
got from the network was a voice over telling the viewer what's on next. These
days, they show the closing credits on one side of the screen while promos are
displayed on another side, often with no music (other than what's on the promo);
the only thing remaining is the production company logo, which is often
displayed before the credits (though some, like Nickelodeon, keep it after the
credits), and is often the latest logo.

--
Steve Mindykowski
rugr...@ix.netcom.com
http://www.rugratonline.com/
Home of the UNOFFICIAL Rugrats Online!

ChriszXmas

Feb 3, 2001, 2:12:35 AM2/3/01

>ChriszXmas wrote:
>
>> Who can tell Fox Family always chopped the End Music out.
>> Why is end music even composed?
>
>The end music was back from a time when the only closing-credit intervention
>we
>got from the network was a voice over telling the viewer what's on next.
>These
>days, they show the closing credits on one side of the screen while promos
>are
>displayed on another side, often with no music (other than what's on the
>promo);
>the only thing remaining is the production company logo, which is often
>displayed before the credits (though some, like Nickelodeon, keep it after
>the
>credits), and is often the latest logo.

I know that and I do not like the Voiceovers or Squeezed up Screen. Squeeze up
the commercials for that.
Those are treated with respect.
It's not really fair I try and try and still never get to hear the end theme on
some shows.

James C. Schul

Feb 4, 2001, 2:53:04 AM2/4/01

> And we won't even get into the "watchability" of the '70s and '80s sitcoms.
> They are only watchable to me if they haven't been beaten to death on other
> cable channels, whereas the sitcoms from the '50s and '60s, IMHO, can be
> viewed over and over again. They seem to have more "staying power."
>
> Dori

The only shows I ever watch in reruns which were made after 1980 are
"Perfect Strangers" and "The Wonder Years."

Nothing else.

ChriszXmas

Feb 4, 2001, 10:45:29 AM2/4/01

You shouls watch it on a good station like TNN!
I really never looked at it until it came on TNN. Now I check it out everyday.
Love to get to see the entire thing in peace.

Jude Cormier

Feb 4, 2001, 2:58:07 PM2/4/01

ChriszXmas <chris...@aol.com> wrote in message

That is til September when Fox Family gets ahold of it-and we go back to
split credits and talk overs.

ChriszXmas

Feb 4, 2001, 4:08:22 PM2/4/01

Yeah, but by that time I will have looked at them all 3 or more times on TNN.
When Fox Family changes and let's the end be heard and seen I'll watch. Until
then ! never watch that channel

Steve Jeremiah [Marshall-]Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria)

Feb 6, 2001, 1:50:31 AM2/6/01
CajunLucyFan.... You are The Weakest Link. Goodbye.

>Rumor has it that Sony will end up transforming Game Show Network eventually
>into a general entertainment network--with that huge Screen
>Gems/Coulmbia/Tri-Star library--they have plenty to choose from. Remember
>now, this is just a rumor that was circulating among the gameshow ng--so no
>definite facts are yet known or have been announced. I think a Screen Gems
>Network 24/7 would be a good thing for us classic tv lovers--maybe we could
>finally see Bewitched again as it was intended and not butchered like N@N.

Don't be too sure about that. Game Show Network squeezes end credits and
extracts end-of-show fee plugs, basically butchering the end of the shows.
They do this to practically all the Goodson-Todman game shows they have and
any other game shows that they don't outright own originally (Barry-Enright,
Bob Stewart).

If GSN's Goodson-Todman lease isn't renewed by next year, expect GSN to go
general entertainment... and expect more of the squeezing and voiceover-ing
from the other classic Sony library shows.

- Jeremy Cigarettes don't care. TV viewers don't either.
And THAT'S The Truth. (Please don't smoke.)
--
jeremy75 (at) | "You treat me like a dog and you expect me to | AUSTIN
bellatlantic . net | smile? You remind me of a JACKASS~!" - SCSA | 3:16

Buddy,Andre,Kerry, Eddie, Gordon, Yoko, Flyin' Brian, Owen Hart ... Sigh ...