Time Compression Question

baxi...@fas.harvard.edu

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
In "Welcome to Korea," the shots of Hawkeye and Radar racing the jeep at high
speeds through the countryside have a jerky quality that suggests time
compression. Initially, I thought that the oddity could be explained by the
syndication cuts; I was, therefore, surprised to find similar jerkiness on the
Columbia House version. Is this time compression, or something else?

John Baxindine

Elsig

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98

>In "Welcome to Korea," the shots of Hawkeye and Radar racing the jeep at high
>speeds through the countryside have a jerky quality that suggests time
>compression. Initially, I thought that the oddity could be explained by the
>syndication cuts; I was, therefore, surprised to find similar jerkiness on
>the
>Columbia House version. Is this time compression, or something else?>

It was time compression. It was the only way we could make it seem as though
our clunky old jeep could appear to be going swiftly.

Larry G.

Steve B

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/17/98
Wow - cool question and answer.

(LG - it's heartening to know you'll stay up to the wee hours of the morning to
check the ng after a great interview on Tom Snyder [if that show was indeed
broadcast in "real" time, which I assume it is since it is a call in show] Book
sounds funny. )

steve

Cory

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/17/98
In article <35AF7345...@asnutrition.com>, st...@asnutrition.com
says...

> Wow - cool question and answer.
>
> (LG - it's heartening to know you'll stay up to the wee hours of the morning to
> check the ng after a great interview on Tom Snyder [if that show was indeed
> broadcast in "real" time, which I assume it is since it is a call in show] Book
> sounds funny. )
>
> steve

I don't think that Tom is broadcast in real time in a lot of markets.
I've heard Tom say a few times that his show is right after Letterman.
Well, not in my market. In my market, Letterman is on 10:30-11:30
(Central Time), MASH 11:30-12:00, Star Trek (take your pick... Voyager,
DS9, ST:TNG, or the original, depending on the day of the week)
12:00-1:00, and THEN Tom comes on at 1:00 AM. That's not right after
Letterman.

--- Cory

--
*Remove 'purrs' to reply*

Elsig

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/17/98
>(LG - it's heartening to know you'll stay up to the wee hours of the morning
to check the ng>

The frequency with which I contribute to this ng is in direct ratio to the
amount of work I'm trying to avoid doing.

Larry G.

Mark Fransen

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/17/98

That is *the* reason most of the rest of us are here too!!