FLAGG'S "THE INTERVIEW" INTERVIEW

el...@aol.com

Feb 13, 2006, 3:57:39 PM2/13/06
REPORTER: As you might imagine, an army field hospital sees an awful
lot of traffic in any 24-hour period. A certain percentage of those
comings and goings have nothing to do with the medical personnel
stationed here with the 4077. We spoke with one such officer on the
strict condition that he be allowed to be interviewed only if he could
respond to our questions with his back to the camera. Why this was so
would soon become apparent - even if his identity did not. May I at
least call you by your rank, sir?
FLAGG: I'd prefer you didn't.
REPORTER: It's all right to say that you're an officer, though?
FLAGG: It's all right to say anything you like. One of the things our
country is fighting for over here is the right for anyone and everyone
to say anything at all they like. Likewise, it's my right not to say
whatever it is I don't want to say.
REPORTER: Fair enough.
FLAGG: It's also my duty to report anyone to the proper authorities for
saying something that they thought it was all right to.
REPORTER: I'm not sure I follow.
FLAGG: I'm not sure you realize just how much you do.
REPORTER: When you say "the proper authorities," can you be a bit
more specific?
FLAGG: About what?
REPORTER: About just who "the proper authorities" might be?
FLAGG: If you're not doing anything wrong, you'll probably never have
any occasion to find that out.
REPORTER: And what would qualify as doing something wrong?
FLAGG: Anything, anybody that questions what we're doing over here
- any questions about our leadership.
REPORTER: In short, anything that questions anything at all.
FLAGG: Anything having to do with the war.
REPORTER: Technically, this isn't a war.
FLAGG: Then technically no one's dying, right?
REPORTER: And just how does all that concern you, if I may ask?
FLAGG: It's my job to see that everyone in this effort is all on the
same team. That everyone on our side has the right amount of blue and
white to go along with however red they might be.
REPORTER: You're from army intelligence?
FLAGG: You setting up your own punchline? Save it. I've heard them
all.
REPORTER: Basically speaking, what it is is you're spying on people.
FLAGG: Spying's a crass word. I think of what I'm doing as
monitoring their patriotism.
REPORTER: And this is all in the cause of freedom?
FLAGG: The price of freedom includes giving up however much of it is
required so that you can hold on to the rest.
REPORTER: Do you ever listen to whatever it is you're saying?
FLAGG: I don't have that kind of time, really.
REPORTER: I think I'm beginning to understand why it is you won't
face the camera, sir.
FLAGG: Who I am is not important. The more people know about me, the
harder is for me to find out about them.
REPORTER: Does that include getting all the dirt you can on the
surgeons at this MASH unit? The medical officers?
FLAGG: (Scoffs) Officers. There're enough bleeding hearts around
here to fill up a bucket a minute.
REPORTER: You don't think that they do their job well?
FLAGG: Saving lives? The odd limb? I'll give 'em that.
REPORTER: I'm sure they'd appreciate it.
FLAGG: You going to need much more time, fella?
REPORTER: You have to get back to work?
FLAGG: Vigilance is not piecework, friend. It's not a hobby either.
REPORTER: I'll let you go then. And I do thank you for your time.
FLAGG: You mind if I ask you a few questions?
REPORTER: Turnabout's fair play. Shoot.
FLAGG: Not now. Before you go. I did a little research when I heard
you were coming here and there're a couple of organizations you
belong to that I'd like to know a little more about.
REPORTER: Anytime you say. I'm not leaving until tomorrow.
FLAGG: Let's hope you do.

Eddie

Feb 13, 2006, 4:07:38 PM2/13/06

<el...@aol.com> wrote in message

Larry, you did it again. Another keeper!
Back to the camera... great stuff!! Thank you for your effort!!

ls

Feb 13, 2006, 4:20:34 PM2/13/06
I think,Elsig like our delight... you deserves..!

This is FLAGG, no doubt!!!

ls

Feb 13, 2006, 4:27:25 PM2/13/06
Nothing will be gone,Larry. Keep it too.

leslie

Message has been deleted

George Hiebert

Feb 13, 2006, 10:25:01 PM2/13/06

"Eddie" <Esolom...@verizon.net> wrote

> Larry, you did it again. Another keeper!
> Back to the camera... great stuff!! Thank you for your effort!!

Yep, hilarious! An unexpected Flagg bonus, gotta love it.

Marianne

Feb 14, 2006, 12:46:02 AM2/14/06

<el...@aol.com> wrote in message
> [...]
Delightful!!
Marianne

Jack Burrito

Feb 14, 2006, 11:27:43 PM2/14/06
Elsig,

Just too damn much fun. :)

JB

Brad Filippone

Feb 16, 2006, 4:32:12 AM2/16/06
That was fantastic.

Now, what if the characters from "A Funny Thing Happened..." were at the
4077th--what would THEIR interviews be like? How about the George Burns
God? :)

The Other Brad

el...@aol.com

Feb 17, 2006, 11:32:27 AM2/17/06
Thanks, JB.

LG

el...@aol.com

Feb 17, 2006, 11:33:55 AM2/17/06
Thanks, TOB.

The Same Old LG

el...@aol.com

Feb 17, 2006, 11:34:50 AM2/17/06
My thanks, Marianne.

LG

MarkO

Feb 17, 2006, 1:08:43 PM2/17/06
WHAT'S THIS??? ANOTHER GIFT??? Flagg is back (God love ya, Ed Winter)!
THANKS ELSIG....these are historical treats that I just can't even
believe.
For the record, everyone....Elsig has treated us to Henry, Trapper
and Flagg interviews, correct?

Parry

Feb 17, 2006, 2:12:44 PM2/17/06

and himself being seen on the couch by Sid Freedman :)

--
Parry
http://www.pazza.biz

MarkO

Feb 18, 2006, 10:01:16 AM2/18/06
Yes...true, thank you. But that was for Kalter's book, correct? These
are the 3 new ones he's written, right? I just want to have them all.
What a treat.