Alright, class...

Lisa1972

Jan 15, 2004, 1:47:31 AM1/15/04
I'm always looking for metaphors in books and television/movies...My
high school English teacher was huge on metaphor, so it kind of stuck
with me. Anyway....

I was watching "The Chosen People" on DVD tonight...the ep where the
Korean girl claims Radar fathered her baby. Right at the beginning of
the show, Radar is shown playing his usual horrendous version of
Reveille, when he gets hit straight in the mug with a raw egg. I'm
wondering if Elsig might know if there is a signifigance to that scene
(probably minor and humorous, if it all) or if anyone else might have
fun thinking about what it could mean. On that note, perhaps we could
get into a little English class-style discussion of metaphor in other
MASH eps. I mean, hey, why not...

-Lisa

Lisa1972

Jan 16, 2004, 12:12:33 PM1/16/04
lyn...@comcast.net (Lisa1972) wrote in message news:<74beb039.04011...@posting.google.com>...

You know they would never have named B.J. "Dr. Unkeindestcutt"

-Lisa

D. Gordon

Jan 16, 2004, 12:10:44 PM1/16/04
BJ went (pretty much) as Superman in Trick or Treatment. The comic book
Man Of Steel is full of metaphors (not all of which I'm sure are really
there).

Elsig

Jan 19, 2004, 12:13:00 PM1/19/04
>> I was watching "The Chosen People" on DVD tonight...the ep where the Korean
girl claims Radar fathered her baby. Right at the beginning of the show, Radar
is shown playing his usual horrendous version of Reveille, when he gets hit
straight in the mug with a raw egg. I'm wondering if Elsig might know if there
is a signifigance to that scene
(probably minor and humorous, if it all) or if anyone else might have
fun thinking about what it could mean.

The chief purpose of that piece of business was to do something humorous.

Detesting the bugler is an age-old Army tradition (In Irving Berlin's song,
"Oh, How l Hate to Get Up in the Morning," one lyric says, "Some day l'm going
to murder the bugler).

Perhaps there is something Freudian about Radar getting hit with a raw egg and
then being accused of impregnating a girl. But that is a more then 30 year-old
afterthought.

LG

Larry Coressel

Jan 19, 2004, 8:27:10 PM1/19/04
"Slapstick" is what I've always called it...

LJC

buck rojerz

Jan 19, 2004, 10:07:39 PM1/19/04
lcore...@woh.rr.com (Larry Coressel) wrote in

> "Slapstick" is what I've always called it...
>
> LJC

He knew the egg was coming. If you single frame the action, you can see
him close his eyes, a moment before the egg strikes. No big surprise.

buck

Gumbo ...

Jan 20, 2004, 1:00:21 AM1/20/04
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 03:07:39 -0000, buck rojerz
<ino...@outerspace.org> wrote:

>>He knew the egg was coming. If you single frame the action, you can see
>>him close his eyes, a moment before the egg strikes. No big surprise.
>>
>>buck

It's a natural reaction of the body to close your eyes if anything
comes near them so that would happened...

Lisa1972

Jan 20, 2004, 12:33:36 PM1/20/04
buck rojerz <ino...@outerspace.org> wrote in message news:<Xns9475C29...@216.168.3.44>...

> lcore...@woh.rr.com (Larry Coressel) wrote in
>
> > "Slapstick" is what I've always called it...

I know....maybe I just look a little too deep into stuff...like I
said, thanks to high school English, I've been brainwashed into
looking for metaphor and symbolism in just about everything. And since
MASH is my favorite, it is not immune to my scrutiny. I like Elsig's
thought that perhaps you could take that raw egg and perhaps make it
into something more, if one had a more, ahem, "fertile" imagination.

> He knew the egg was coming.

You have to give Gary Burghoff some credit. I don't know if I could
take the anticipation. I guess for a little $$$ I could stand it...