VS Millionaire - 03/01

vicste...@mailexcite.com

Mar 1, 2001, 8:44:19 PM3/1/01
As time ran out on Wednesday, Jack Bowers found his way to the
hotseat, and
effortlessly got to the $200 level. No lifelines used, as the jackpot
makes the big roll over. 2 million dollars.

Jack is from Montclair, NJ. He is a financial consultant, and works at
home. As
does his wife Karen. He also does some work for the Yogi Berra museum.

Let's Play!

For $300: In the U.S., it is customary to applaud at which of these
times?

B) End of a play.

For $500: Which of the following chewing gum brand names means "three
teeth"?

A) Trident

For $1000: Cuban President Fidel Castro is famous for wearing which of
these articles of clothing?

A) Black robes B) Dashiki
C) Green fatigues D) Riding Pants

C) Green fatigues. For 1K.

For $2000: What is the relationship between country music stars Naomi
and
Wynonna Judd?

A) Sisters B) Cousins
C) Mother & Daughter C) Aunt & Niece

C) Mother & Daughter.

FOr $4000: By definition, what kind of area does a beltway surround?

A) Agricultural B) Urban
C) Coastal D) Wilderness

That would be B) Urban. Final answer.

And a right answer.

For $8000: In the television ratings device known as the "V-chip",
what does the "V" stand for?

A) Violence B) Values
C) Video D) Viewer-control

He decides to go to the audience for this one. 19-7-18-56. He was
leaning towards D), and he goes along with the audience as his final
answer.
.
And he may want to unleash some A) Violence on the audience, since
that was the correct answer. Now wouldn't that make a more
interesting "Ripped From The Headlines" Law & Order as opposed to
that reality TV episode last night?

Fastest Finger: Put these TV series in the order of their original
debut, starting with the most recent.

A) I Spy
B) The X-Files
C) The Mole
D) Moonlighting

CBDA is the correct order. 8 of the 10 get it, many with times under
6.00. But Tom Hatfield, of Stevens Point, WI, is under 4.00 with
a time of 3.67.

(ad break)

Tom has been married for 3 years. He has been part of the World's
Largest Trivia contest, which takes place at UWisconsin:Stevens
Point every April.

And, if fellow recapper Steven Sousa's prediction is right, that
should make him toast in short order.

For $100; Which ofthe following slang phrases means extremely
unconventional?

C) Off-the-wall. Not D) "Next on Jerry Springer!"

For $200: On what part of the body would a person most likely
wear a toupee?

C) Head.

For $300: An abandoned settlement found in the western U.S. is
called what?

B) Ghost town. Not necessarily D) Tourist Trap.

For $500: In Bram Stoker's famous novel, Dracula can turn into
what?

A) Bat.

For $1000: Which of these brands of mints comes in a tin?

A) Clorets B) Tic Tac
C) Mentos D) Altoids
D) Altoids.

For $2000: What two items of clothing commonly make up a "twin
set"?

A) Cardigan & Pullover B) Tunic & Sash
C) Dickey & Vest D) Cape & Hat

84-4-5-7 is the result of the poll. That seems overwhelming
enough to make A) a final answer.

And this time, the audience got it right!

For $4000: In 1999, the R&B group Destiny's Child had a hit
single about what everyday annoyance?

A) Siblings B) Traffic
C) Bills D) Bosses

He's going to call a friend, and will hope that Dave can help him
out with this question.

Dave relays the question.

And time expires.

50/50 time, and C) & D) are left.

He'll take a guess at C).

And C) is worth $4000.

(ad break)

Tom works a for a 1-900 sports information hotline.

For $8000: The Kentucky Derby is held in what U.S. city?

A) Lexington B) Louisville
C) Bowling Green D) Paducah

A) Lexington is his final answer.

And he should call his line 1-900-WrongAnswer.

B) Louisville was right.

Fastest Finger: Put these world cities on geographic order,
starting in the north.

A) Amsterdam B) Auckland
C) Manila D) Cairo

From North to South, you get A-D-C-B. Your winnr is Gary Gambino,
with a time of 3.82 seconds.

Gary is from Illinois, and his father Larry is in the relationship
seat. Gary works as a for operations planner at an oil company.

For $100: Fur that gets caught in a cat's stomach as a result
of licking its coat is called what?

B) Hairball.
Not D) Cousin Itt.

For $200: A person that constantly caters to another's needs
is said to wait on him how?

B) Hand and foot.

For $300: By definition, which of the following words means a
way of bypassing a difficulty?

C) Loophole.
Although I endorse D) Call in sick.

For $500: By definition, which of the following shapes is most
like a tube?

D) Cylinder

For $1000: Which of these candies has peanuts inside?

A) Snickers B) 3 Musketeets
C) Kit Kat D) York Peppermint Pattie

"Packed with Peanuts" - A) Snickers.

For $2000: What punctuation mark immediately follows the http in a
website
address?

A) Backslash B) Colon
C) Period D) Hyphen

http://www.b-wastherightanswer.com

For $4000: The bank robbers in the 2001 movie "Sugar and Spice" are
all
what?

A) Chefs B) Singers
C) Old ladies D) Cheeleaders

He hasn't seen the movie, but caught the previews for it. D)
Cheerleaders
is C-O-R-R-E-C-T!

What do we want? An ad break!

For $8000: What is the medical term for high pressure?

A) Hypertension B) Hypoglycemia
C) Nauralagia D) Algina

This question won't be getting his blood pressure up, since he
answers A) almost immediately.

A) Hypertension.

For $16000: What is the name of the Native American that accompanied
Lewis & Clark across the Rockies?

A) Pocahontas B) Sagaunash
C) Sacagawea D) Squanto

Always a favourite of Regis, the final answer, and correct answer
is C) Sacagawea.

For $32000: The autobiography of "Saturday Night Live" star Gilda
Radner is titled "It's Always" what?

A) Funny B) Gilda
C) Nothing D) Something

He has an idea, but wants to see what kind of ideas were running
through
the heads of the audience. 12-22-3-63. That looks reassuring. D) is
his final answer.

The audience just helped him win something.

$32,000!

For $64000: A "tercel" is the male of what animal?

A) Hawk B) Whale
C) Mosquito D) Crocodile

"Toyota's not up there"

But his 50/50 is, and it removes B) and C).

AFter that, he gives a quick answer. A) Hawk.

His free shot
.
.
.
is good!

For 125,000: Who is the only U.S. President to serve on the U.S.
Supreme Court?

A) Grover Cleveland B) William Howard Taft
C) Martin Van Buren D) James Buchanan

"I'm going to say William Howard Taft. And make that my final
answer." - Gary.

"RIGHT! For $125,000!" - Regis

(ad break)

Regis thinks that Gary sounds like Ray Romano. So does the
audience.

For $250,000: What children's author wrote mathematical works
under his given name, Charles Lutwidge Dodgson?

A) C.S. Lewis B) J.M. Barrie
C) Lewis Carroll D) A.A. Milne

He's read articles about this person, and is pretty sure that
it is Lewis Carroll.

He'll risk it, and leave the lifeline on the table.
.
.
.
.
That lifeline might have come in handy
.
.
.
.
But he didn't need it! He's right!

For $500,000: What was the first American TV series to film an
entire episode in the former Soviet Union?

A) Perfect Strangers B) Family Ties
C) Murphy Brown D) Head of the Class

He recalls that Head of the Class did have an episode that
took place in Russia. He knows that Perfect Strangers
wouldn't go there, since Balki was from Mypos. And he can't
remember a Murphy Brown or Family Ties episode from the
former Soviet Union.

He recalls the HotC, which saw the class take on a Russian
quiz bowl team.

Head of the Class is his final answer.
.
.
.
And he goes
.
.
.
to the Head of the Class with that answer!

(Ad break)

Regis recaps the Carpenter win. Regis shows off a pair of
million dollar checks, and it is now time for the question.

For $2 million: Who is the only winner of the Nobel Peace
Prize to decline the prize?

A) Albert Schweitzer B) Le Duc Tho
C) Andrei Sakharov D) Aung San Suu Kyi

Time to use that final lifeline, and he will phone his
friend, Mark. Mark has a Ph.D in chemistry.

Gary relates the question. He repeats the options, and
has 14 seconds left. Mark thinks it was A) Albert
Schweitzer, and time runs out before he can offer
a percentage.

He talks like he is going to walk away, thinking
that the money could be invested nicely in the market.

He continues to debate. And now, Schweitzer seems plausible.

"I just don't know enough to risk that much. I'd hate
to walk away and have it be Schweitzer".

More debate. More talking. He wonders why someone might
decline the Peace Prize.

"Maybe someone's going to win 2.01 million the next show."

He's walking.
.
.
.
.
If he'd said D), he would have fallen to $32K.
.
.
.
If he'd said C), he would have fallen to $32K.
.
.
.
If he'd gone with Mark, and said A)
.
.
.
Instead of walking away with $500,000
.
.
.
He would have been the
.
.
.
.
first contestant
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
crash and burn on the 15th question! B) was right. So
Gary leaves happily with 500K!

Fastest Finger: Put these 2001 Oscar-nominated
actresses in order of their birth, starting with the
most recent.

A) Joan Allen
B) Kate Hudsom
C) Ellen Burstyn
D) Julia Roberts

BDAC is the right order. And on his way to the hotseat, is
Peter Kiplinger with a time of 3.97. Mother Carol is in his
relationship seat, but we have to get right down to
business.

For $100: A parachute would most likely be used during which
of these activities?

A) Skydiving

For $200: which of these grocery items is commonly labeled
"not from concentrate"?

A) Orange juice.

****AH-WOOOOOO!****
-----
The above e-mail address exists solely as a spam catcher. If
you wish to respond, do so via the newsgroup.

DLettermen

Mar 1, 2001, 10:06:08 PM3/1/01
It took me about 5 seconds to find the answer on the Nobel Peace prize page in
the World Almanac.

All I know is that if I get on the show, I'll have one "group of people
lifeline", and buy about 5 Almanacs (and maybe one computer person), all you
have to do is pagemark important lists in the almanac (Acadamy Awards, World
Capitals, US Presidents list, etc), and with one phrase ("Nobel Prizes") you
can have someone at the answer almost immediately.

Victor L. Romany

Mar 2, 2001, 1:46:35 AM3/2/01
I admit, this one had me completely stumped. In which part of the
country does this phrase originate? I am a West Coast boy, and have
never even seen "twin set" in dept. store ads or in-store display,
other than in reference to bed sheets.

How is a cardigan and pullover a twin set? I am stumped, please
enlighten...

VicRoma

Eugene Kim

Mar 2, 2001, 2:00:08 AM3/2/01
I was 95% sure it was Le Duc Tho - I remembered he was named co-recipient of the
Nobel Peace Prize with Henry Kissinger, who did NOT turn it down.

Eugene Kim

Mar 2, 2001, 2:06:10 AM3/2/01
"vicste...@mailexcite.com" wrote:

> For $16000: What is the name of the Native American that accompanied
> Lewis & Clark across the Rockies?
>
> A) Pocahontas B) Sagaunash
> C) Sacagawea D) Squanto
>
> Always a favourite of Regis, the final answer, and correct answer
> is C) Sacagawea.

Yes. I remember how, the last time the name came up, Mr. Philbin
pronounced it "Socka-wocky."

Nothing against Mr. Gambino, but I thought these questions were a bit too
easy for the $125,000 and $250,000 levels.

I knew the answer to the $2,000,000 question, but the "Head of the Class"
question that preceded it would have tripped me up.

Bill Bonde

Mar 2, 2001, 3:28:43 AM3/2/01

If you do this --and David Letterman makes 12 million dollars a year so
I doubt you need to bother-- you should build up a speaker phone that
clearly tells your helpers the question and then have one person speak
it back to you using a normal handset. This is not an ordinary speaker
phone, of course, but it will save the five to seven seconds of
repeating the question which is so stupid.

Brett A. Pasternack

Mar 2, 2001, 5:14:58 PM3/2/01
Eugene Kim wrote:

> "vicste...@mailexcite.com" wrote:

I agree, but I thought "tercel" at $64000 was really hard for that
level, so it did kind of balance out. And the Head Of The Class question
was certainly a difficult one. So it was still a pretty impressive run
despite some strange ranking of questions.

Victor L. Romany

Mar 2, 2001, 6:21:40 PM3/2/01
On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 17:14:58 -0500, "Brett A. Pasternack" >>
>> Nothing against Mr. Gambino, but I thought these questions were a bit too
>> easy for the $125,000 and $250,000 levels.
>
>I agree, but I thought "tercel" at $64000 was really hard for that
>level, so it did kind of balance out. And the Head Of The Class question
>was certainly a difficult one. So it was still a pretty impressive run
>despite some strange ranking of questions.

I thought "tercel" was easy ONCE the 50-50 was used. When carmakers
use animal names, they invariably choose fast / fierce / aggressive /
"macho" animals. A hawk is, crocodile is not.

Gary Gambino deserves a lot of credit for doing something few have!

VicRoma

DLettermen

Mar 2, 2001, 7:13:49 PM3/2/01
"Tercel" was the kind of question though that you need to think about the fact
that theres a car model - the Toyota Tercel. Which would a car company name a
car after - a hawk, crocidile, whale, I don't remember the other but it didn't
make much sense. Out of those 4, really only a hawk is something you'd want to
name a car after.

Chris & Kelly Otto

Mar 2, 2001, 10:28:08 PM3/2/01
> On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 17:14:58 -0500, "Brett A. Pasternack" >>
> >> Nothing against Mr. Gambino, but I thought these questions were a bit
too
> >> easy for the $125,000 and $250,000 levels.
> >
> >I agree, but I thought "tercel" at $64000 was really hard for that
> >level, so it did kind of balance out. >
> I thought "tercel" was easy ONCE the 50-50 was used. When carmakers
> use animal names, they invariably choose fast / fierce / aggressive /
> "macho" animals. A hawk is, crocodile is not.

I had a different strategy for wild-ass-guessing that one. "Tercel" has a
sort of Norman French-Middle English ring to it. If that's really the
origin, only hawk would make sense.

And now, after tercel, leveret, drake and probably many others, I think it
behooves us to study a list like the one at
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/animals/Animalbabies.shtml

(hmm. I didn't know a baby llama was called a cria...)

Bill Bonde

Mar 3, 2001, 10:16:15 PM3/3/01

"Victor L. Romany" wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 17:14:58 -0500, "Brett A. Pasternack" >>
> >> Nothing against Mr. Gambino, but I thought these questions were a bit too
> >> easy for the $125,000 and $250,000 levels.
> >
> >I agree, but I thought "tercel" at $64000 was really hard for that
> >level, so it did kind of balance out. And the Head Of The Class question
> >was certainly a difficult one. So it was still a pretty impressive run
> >despite some strange ranking of questions.
>
> I thought "tercel" was easy ONCE the 50-50 was used. When carmakers
> use animal names, they invariably choose fast / fierce / aggressive /
> "macho" animals. A hawk is, crocodile is not.

You don't think that crocodiles are fast, fierce and aggressive? I would
really rather fight a hawk any day.

Regarding car names: What is the deal with the Toyota Tacoma?

Jennifer Kremer

Mar 4, 2001, 5:04:15 PM3/4/01

Victor L. Romany <vic...@westmik.net> wrote in message

> I admit, this one had me completely stumped. In which part of the
> country does this phrase originate? I am a West Coast boy, and have
> never even seen "twin set" in dept. store ads or in-store display,
> other than in reference to bed sheets.
>
> How is a cardigan and pullover a twin set? I am stumped, please
> enlighten...
>
> VicRoma

As with many questions, I think the wording is a little off on this one. A
women's twin set is a cardigan sweater, with a matching color short sleeve
top underneath. You can take the sweater off, or tie it around your
shoulders. I wouldn't exactly call the top a pullover, because that usually
implies a big knitted sweater. A twin set is usally a thin cotton, often in
pastel colors for spring. Consult your local J.C. Penney for more
information.

-Jen

Dean Scungio

Mar 5, 2001, 1:09:56 AM3/5/01
Comments and many "Pop-Ups" below.

. o O ( Just before the show, ABC aired a promo naming one of the
contestants and proclaiming he would play for $2,000,000. )

Gee, if that's not giving it away, I don't know what is.

. o O ( Date: 3/1/2001 )
. o O ( Jackpot: $2,000,000! )

. o O ( Question #15 is not a quadruple-or-nothing situation. )
. o O ( Rather, it's quadruple-or-0.064. )

<vicste...@mailexcite.com> wrote in message

> As time ran out on Wednesday, Jack Bowers found his way to the
> hotseat, and
> effortlessly got to the $200 level. No lifelines used, as the jackpot
> makes the big roll over. 2 million dollars.

. o O ( The FOX game show "Greed" originally began with a progressive
jackpot. )
. o O ( It started at $2,000,000 and added $50,000 for each team that did
not win. )
. o O ( That rule was eventually dropped for insurance reasons. )

> Jack is from Montclair, NJ. He is a financial consultant, and works at
> home. As
> does his wife Karen. He also does some work for the Yogi Berra museum.

. o O ( Famous "Yogi-isms": )

> Let's Play!

. o O ( "When you come to a fork in the road, take it." )

. o O ( "It gets late early out here." )

. o O ( "It's deja vu all over again." )

. o O ( "The future ain't what it used to be." )

. o O ( "You can observe a lot by watching." )

. o O ( "I really didn't say everything I said." )

> For $300: In the U.S., it is customary to applaud at which of these
> times?
>
> B) End of a play.

Or after a question is answered correctly on this show.

. o O ( APPLAUSE )

> For $500: Which of the following chewing gum brand names means "three
> teeth"?
>
> A) Trident

. o O ( There was a joke relating to Trident's classic slogan when the show
debuted. )

. o O ( Who wants to be a millionaire? )
. o O ( "I do! I do!" )

. o O ( http://kamarade.platomic.com/images/photo/person/castro/fidel2.jpg )
. o O ( http://kamarade.platomic.com/images/photo/person/castro/fidel3.jpg )

> For $2000: What is the relationship between country music stars Naomi
> and
> Wynonna Judd?
>
> A) Sisters B) Cousins
> C) Mother & Daughter C) Aunt & Niece
>
> C) Mother & Daughter.

. o O ( Naomi and Wynonna Judd began their music career in 1979 and released
their debut album "The Judds: Wynonna and Naomi" in 1984. )
. o O ( In October 1990, Naomi was diagnosed with Hepatitis C and had to
retire in 1991. )
. o O ( Wynonna went on to a very successful solo career starting in 1992. )
. o O ( Naomi's younger daughter, Ashley, is an actress. )

> FOr $4000: By definition, what kind of area does a beltway surround?
>
> A) Agricultural B) Urban
> C) Coastal D) Wilderness
>
> That would be B) Urban. Final answer.
>
> And a right answer.

. o O ( beltway: a high-speed highway that encircles or skirts an urban
area )

> For $8000: In the television ratings device known as the "V-chip",
> what does the "V" stand for?
>
> A) Violence B) Values
> C) Video D) Viewer-control

. o O ( All TV sets 13 inches or larger and manufactured after January 1,
2000, must include the V-chip. )
. o O ( The V-chip detects and blocks out TV programming according to the
"TV Parental Guidelines" and the Motion Picture Association of America movie
ratings. )
. o O ( Tonight's episode was rated TV-G. )

> He decides to go to the audience for this one. 19-7-18-56. He was
> leaning towards D), and he goes along with the audience as his final
> answer.
> .
> And he may want to unleash some A) Violence on the audience, since
> that was the correct answer.

. o O ( The device was proposed after studies showed a possible link between
TV violence and aggressive behavior in children. )
. o O ( Hence the name, "Violence-chip". )

> Now wouldn't that make a more
> interesting "Ripped From The Headlines" Law & Order as opposed to
> that reality TV episode last night?

. o O ( Earlier tonight, "Survivor" castaway Michael Skupin suffered 3rd
degree burns to his hands after inhaling smoke and falling onto a
campfire. )
. o O ( Besides some scars, he has fully recovered. )

> Fastest Finger: Put these TV series in the order of their original
> debut, starting with the most recent.
>
> A) I Spy
> B) The X-Files
> C) The Mole
> D) Moonlighting
>
> CBDA is the correct order.

. o O ( 2001; 1993; 1985; 1965 )

. o O ( http://momsfamilies.com/trivia/ )

> And, if fellow recapper Steven Sousa's prediction is right, that
> should make him toast in short order.
>
> For $100; Which ofthe following slang phrases means extremely
> unconventional?
>
> C) Off-the-wall. Not D) "Next on Jerry Springer!"

. o O ( Jerry Springer has gotten into the reality-TV craze with his new
"Springer-Cam". )
. o O ( His show's guests are given a video camera so they can record all
their dysfunctional glory for the show. )

> For $200: On what part of the body would a person most likely
> wear a toupee?
>
> C) Head.
>
> For $300: An abandoned settlement found in the western U.S. is
> called what?
>
> B) Ghost town. Not necessarily D) Tourist Trap.

. o O ( Some ghost towns are truly abandoned, while others have become
tourist destinations. )

> For $500: In Bram Stoker's famous novel, Dracula can turn into
> what?
>
> A) Bat.
>
> For $1000: Which of these brands of mints comes in a tin?
>
> A) Clorets B) Tic Tac
> C) Mentos D) Altoids
> D) Altoids.

. o O ( Altoids were originally sold in small cardboard boxes. )
. o O ( In the 1920's, tin boxes were introduced to protect the mints. )

> For $2000: What two items of clothing commonly make up a "twin
> set"?
>
> A) Cardigan & Pullover B) Tunic & Sash
> C) Dickey & Vest D) Cape & Hat
>
> 84-4-5-7 is the result of the poll. That seems overwhelming
> enough to make A) a final answer.
>
> And this time, the audience got it right!

I've never heard of it.

> For $4000: In 1999, the R&B group Destiny's Child had a hit
> single about what everyday annoyance?
>
> A) Siblings B) Traffic
> C) Bills D) Bosses

. o O ( There are no siblings in the group. )
. o O ( However, Beyoncé Knowles and Kelly Rowland are cousins. )

> He's going to call a friend, and will hope that Dave can help him
> out with this question.
>
> Dave relays the question.
>
> And time expires.
>
> 50/50 time, and C) & D) are left.
>
> He'll take a guess at C).

. o O ( On-air time to answer: 2:02 )

> And C) is worth $4000.

. o O ( "Bills, Bills, Bills" was the first single off their second album
"The Writing's on the Wall". )
. o O ( In 1999, the song spent nine weeks at No. 1. )

> (ad break)
>
> Tom works a for a 1-900 sports information hotline.
>
> For $8000: The Kentucky Derby is held in what U.S. city?

. o O ( The Derby has taken place at the Churchill Downs Racetrack since
1875. )
. o O ( It is always run on the first Saturday of May. )
. o O ( May 5, 2001, will see the 127th "Run for the Roses". )

> A) Lexington B) Louisville
> C) Bowling Green D) Paducah
>
> A) Lexington is his final answer.
>
> And he should call his line 1-900-WrongAnswer.
>
> B) Louisville was right.

. o O ( Louisville is also the home of the "Louisville Slugger" baseball
bat. )

OOPS! That's embarrassing. He talked about working for a sports hotline,
then he blows a question about sports!

> Fastest Finger: Put these world cities on geographic order,
> starting in the north.
>
> A) Amsterdam B) Auckland
> C) Manila D) Cairo
>
> From North to South, you get A-D-C-B.

. o O ( The Netherlands; Egypt; The Philippines; New Zealand )

> Your winnr is Gary Gambino, with a time of 3.82 seconds.

He almost sits in Regis' chair!

. o O ( http://www.fortunecity.com/bennyhills/pun/190/cousinitto3.jpg )

> For $200: A person that constantly caters to another's needs
> is said to wait on him how?
>
> B) Hand and foot.
>
> For $300: By definition, which of the following words means a
> way of bypassing a difficulty?
>
> C) Loophole.
> Although I endorse D) Call in sick.
>
> For $500: By definition, which of the following shapes is most
> like a tube?
>
> D) Cylinder

. o O ( Volume of a cylinder = pi * radius^2 * height )
. o O ( Surface area = (2 * pi * radius^2) + (2 * pi * radius * height) )

> For $1000: Which of these candies has peanuts inside?
>
> A) Snickers B) 3 Musketeets
> C) Kit Kat D) York Peppermint Pattie
>
> "Packed with Peanuts" - A) Snickers.

. o O ( "...really satisfies." )

> For $2000: What punctuation mark immediately follows the http in a
> website
> address?
>
> A) Backslash B) Colon
> C) Period D) Hyphen

. o O ( "\"; ":"; "."; "-" )
. o O ( "/" is a slash; "\" is a backslash. )

. o O ( http://abc.go.com/primetime/millionaire/millionaire_home.html )
. o O ( http://www.phone-a-friend.com )

> For $4000: The bank robbers in the 2001 movie "Sugar and Spice" are
> all
> what?
>
> A) Chefs B) Singers
> C) Old ladies D) Cheeleaders
>
> He hasn't seen the movie, but caught the previews for it. D)
> Cheerleaders
> is C-O-R-R-E-C-T!
>
> What do we want? An ad break!
>
> For $8000: What is the medical term for high pressure?
>
> A) Hypertension B) Hypoglycemia
> C) Nauralagia D) Algina
>
> This question won't be getting his blood pressure up, since he
> answers A) almost immediately.
>
> A) Hypertension.

. o O ( hypertension: abnormally elevated blood pressure )
. o O ( hypoglycemia: an abnormally low blood sugar level )
. o O ( neuralgia: acute spasmodic pain along the course of one or more
nerves )
. o O ( angina: any disease of the throat marked by spasmodic attacks of
intense suffocative pain )
. o O ( angina pectoris: a heart condition marked by chest pain due to
reduced oxygen to the heart )

> For $16000: What is the name of the Native American that accompanied
> Lewis & Clark across the Rockies?
>
> A) Pocahontas B) Sagaunash
> C) Sacagawea D) Squanto
>
> Always a favourite of Regis, the final answer, and correct answer
> is C) Sacagawea.

Easy question. She's one of the most famous Native Americans ever.

. o O ( Regis has previously mispronounced Sacagawea as "socky-wocky". )
. o O ( "Hollywood Squares" host Tom Bergeron said it as "saka-jawa". )

> For $32000: The autobiography of "Saturday Night Live" star Gilda
> Radner is titled "It's Always" what?
>
> A) Funny B) Gilda
> C) Nothing D) Something
>
> He has an idea, but wants to see what kind of ideas were running
> through
> the heads of the audience. 12-22-3-63. That looks reassuring. D) is
> his final answer.

. o O ( On-air time to answer: 0:42 )

> The audience just helped him win something.
>
> $32,000!

. o O ( Published in 1989, "It's Always Something" was about Gilda Radner's
struggle with ovarian cancer. )

. o O ( The $64,000 question (Q#11) is a free guess because nothing is at
risk. )
. o O ( If he is wrong, he still has $32,000. )

> For $64000: A "tercel" is the male of what animal?
>
> A) Hawk B) Whale
> C) Mosquito D) Crocodile
>
> "Toyota's not up there"

. o O ( The Toyota Tercel was taken out of production in 1998. )

Why would they name a car after a mosquito anyway? Bad alternate choices
with mosquito and whale up there.

> But his 50/50 is, and it removes B) and C).
>
> AFter that, he gives a quick answer. A) Hawk.

. o O ( On-air time to answer: 0:28 )

> His free shot
> .
> .
> .
> is good!

. o O ( $32,000 at risk... )

> For 125,000: Who is the only U.S. President to serve on the U.S.
> Supreme Court?
>
> A) Grover Cleveland B) William Howard Taft
> C) Martin Van Buren D) James Buchanan
>
> "I'm going to say William Howard Taft. And make that my final
> answer." - Gary.

. o O ( On-air time to answer: 8 seconds )

> "RIGHT! For $125,000!" - Regis

Easy, if you know your presidents.

. o O ( Taft was nominated to the Supreme Court by Warren Harding. )
. o O ( He served as Chief Justice from 1921 to 1930, one month before he
died. )
. o O ( He loved his Chief Justice position more than being President
claiming, "I don't remember that I ever was President." )

> (ad break)
>
> Regis thinks that Gary sounds like Ray Romano. So does the
> audience.

. o O ( Ray Romano "won" $125,000 in the first Celebrity "Millionaire"
series. )

. o O ( $93,000 at risk... )

> For $250,000: What children's author wrote mathematical works
> under his given name, Charles Lutwidge Dodgson?
>
> A) C.S. Lewis B) J.M. Barrie
> C) Lewis Carroll D) A.A. Milne

Easy question! It's one of the most famous pseudonyms in literature.

. o O ( Samuel Langhorne Clemens, a.k.a. Mark Twain. )

> He's read articles about this person, and is pretty sure that
> it is Lewis Carroll.
>
> He'll risk it, and leave the lifeline on the table.

. o O ( On-air time to answer: 0:45 )

> .
> .

. o O ( A.A. Milne: Alan Alexander Milne )
. o O ( He was a playwright who later wrote "Winnie-the-Pooh" and "The House
at Pooh Corner". )

> .
> .

. o O ( J.M. Barrie: James Matthew Barrie )
. o O ( He was another playwright who later wrote "Peter Pan". )

> That lifeline might have come in handy
> .
> .
> .

. o O ( C.S. Lewis: Clive Staples Lewis )
. o O ( Known for his 7-volume work, "Chronicles of Narnia", published from
1950 to 1956. )

> .
> But he didn't need it! He's right!

. o O ( Dodgson was a professor, mathematician, photographer and author. )

. o O ( $218,000 at risk... )

> For $500,000: What was the first American TV series to film an
> entire episode in the former Soviet Union?
>
> A) Perfect Strangers B) Family Ties
> C) Murphy Brown D) Head of the Class

. o O ( The tape was stopped because Gary was reading into the question too
much. )
. o O ( To quote Gary: )
. o O ( "My problem with this question was the phrase "Former Soviet Union".
For all the shows listed, it would have been the "current" Soviet Union at
the time they were produced. The clarification was that the intent of the
question was around a show filmed in the geographical area now known as the
"Former Soviet Union"." )

Thanks, Gary and Jay.

> He recalls that Head of the Class did have an episode that
> took place in Russia. He knows that Perfect Strangers
> wouldn't go there, since Balki was from Mypos. And he can't
> remember a Murphy Brown or Family Ties episode from the
> former Soviet Union.

. o O ( A first season episode of "Murphy Brown" featured Murphy sharing a
TV broadcast with a Soviet news correspondent. )
. o O ( A fourth season episode of "Family Ties" featured Alex Keaton
playing chess against a Soviet opponent. )

> He recalls the HotC, which saw the class take on a Russian
> quiz bowl team.
>
> Head of the Class is his final answer.

. o O ( On-air time to answer: 1:28 )

> .
> .
> .
> And he goes
> .
> .

. o O ( 7 people have missed Question #14. )

> .
> to the Head of the Class with that answer!

. o O ( He was correct. The episode was centered around a "U.S. vs.
U.S.S.R." quiz bowl-type event. )
. o O ( The match ended in a draw. )

> (Ad break)

Oh boy! I get to "pop-up" Question #15!

. o O ( This is the first time Question #15 has been seen since the
progressive jackpot was started on January 4. )

> Regis recaps the Carpenter win.

. o O ( John Carpenter went through all 15 questions, only using a lifeline
to call up his father to tell him he would win the million dollars. )

> Regis shows off a pair of
> million dollar checks, and it is now time for the question.

. o O ( This is not the first time there has been a question worth $2
million on a game show. )

. o O ( 5/12/2000: Phyllis Harris, Lauren Griswold and David Juliano all
split a $2 million prize on a special "Super Greed" show. )
. o O ( They later passed on the option to answer a $4 million question. )
. o O ( 4/28/2000: John Epperson and Lisa Stigers bailed out on a $2 million
question on "Super Greed". )
. o O ( 11/18/1999: Dan Avila attempted to answer a question worth $2.2
million on "Greed". )
. o O ( He was wrong and lost everything. )

> For $2 million: Who is the only winner of the Nobel Peace
> Prize to decline the prize?
>
> A) Albert Schweitzer B) Le Duc Tho
> C) Andrei Sakharov D) Aung San Suu Kyi

. o O ( The Nobel Prizes are awarded "to those who...shall have conferred
the greatest benefit on mankind". )

> Time to use that final lifeline, and he will phone his
> friend, Mark. Mark has a Ph.D in chemistry.
>
> Gary relates the question. He repeats the options, and
> has 14 seconds left. Mark thinks it was A) Albert
> Schweitzer, and time runs out before he can offer
> a percentage.
>
> He talks like he is going to walk away, thinking
> that the money could be invested nicely in the market.
>
> He continues to debate. And now, Schweitzer seems plausible.

. o O ( $468,000 at risk... )

> "I just don't know enough to risk that much. I'd hate
> to walk away and have it be Schweitzer".
>
> More debate. More talking. He wonders why someone might
> decline the Peace Prize.

. o O ( The answer felt he did not deserve it because a war was still going
on at the time. )

> "Maybe someone's going to win 2.01 million the next show."
>
> He's walking.
> .

. o O ( On air-time for this question: 5:06 )

> .
> .
> .
> If he'd said D), he would have fallen to $32K.
> .
> .

. o O ( Aung San Suu Kyi was a human rights activist from Burma. )
. o O ( He received the Prize in 1991. )

> .
> If he'd said C), he would have fallen to $32K.
> .
> .

. o O ( Andrei Sakharov campaigned for human rights. )
. o O ( He received the Prize in 1975. )

. o O ( Albert Schweitzer was a missionary surgeon who founded the Lambaréné
Hospital in Gabon. )
. o O ( He received the Prize in 1952. )

> B) was right.

. o O ( The 1973 Peace Prize was jointly awarded to Henry Kissinger and Le
Duc Tho for the negotiation of a Vietnamese cease-fire. )
. o O ( Tho rejected the Prize, claiming that "peace has not really been
established". )

> So Gary leaves happily with 500K!

. o O ( Excluding special editions... )
. o O ( He is the 13th $500,000 winner. )
. o O ( Current record for Q#15: 6 wins, 13 passes, no losses )

Let's keep that loss total at zero, everyone.

> Fastest Finger: Put these 2001 Oscar-nominated
> actresses in order of their birth, starting with the
> most recent.
>
> A) Joan Allen
> B) Kate Hudsom
> C) Ellen Burstyn
> D) Julia Roberts
>
> BDAC is the right order.

. o O ( 1979; 1967; 1956; 1932 )

> And on his way to the hotseat, is
> Peter Kiplinger with a time of 3.97. Mother Carol is in his
> relationship seat, but we have to get right down to
> business.
>
> For $100: A parachute would most likely be used during which
> of these activities?
>
> A) Skydiving

. o O ( Leonardo da Vinci sketched a parachute in one of his notebooks in
1485. )
. o O ( He wrote that such a device could allow someone to "jump from any
great height whatsoever without injury". )
. o O ( In June 2000, a parachute made from da Vinci's design was tested
over South Africa. )
. o O ( It worked perfectly. )

> For $200: which of these grocery items is commonly labeled
> "not from concentrate"?
>
> A) Orange juice.

. o O ( "From concentrate" means the juice has had its water content removed
and it requires water to be added before serving. )
. o O ( "Not from concentrate" means the juice was processed without the
removal of water and is ready-to-serve. )

> ****AH-WOOOOOO!****
> -----
> The above e-mail address exists solely as a spam catcher. If
> you wish to respond, do so via the newsgroup.

. o O ( "Pop-Up Video" is a trademark of VH-1, Viacom and Spin the Bottle
Productions. )

. o O ( POP! )

--
Dean Scungio
dscu...@worldnet.att.net

"It's not how much we give away,
it's the way we do it." -Monty Hall

Steven Sousa

Mar 5, 2001, 1:53:28 PM3/5/01

vicste...@mailexcite.com wrote in message
<3a9efa6e...@news1.sympatico.ca>...

>Tom has been married for 3 years. He has been part of the World's
>Largest Trivia contest, which takes place at UWisconsin:Stevens
>Point every April.
>
>And, if fellow recapper Steven Sousa's prediction is right, that
>should make him toast in short order.

I'm going to amend a previous post, and make this rule #2 of SCS
Millionaire. "Never, ever, under any circumstances, no matter how hard Regis
tries to bring up the subject, say anything about your trivia prowess. No
other game shows you've been on, no other trivia bowls you've been in. You
will never, EVER, win the big money."

>For $8000: The Kentucky Derby is held in what U.S. city?
>
>A) Lexington B) Louisville
>C) Bowling Green D) Paducah
>
>A) Lexington is his final answer.
>
>And he should call his line 1-900-WrongAnswer.
>
>B) Louisville was right.

You attribute a prediction to me, and then don't give me props for getting
it right? What's up with that?

. o O (Stories I'll tell if I'm ever in the hot seat:)

. o O (I took the test for Jeopardy! twice, and failed both times.)

. o O (I applied for undergraduate admission to MIT, but was turned down.)

. o O ( I was surprised when I arrived in New York, because I thought the
phone qualification process was to be a contestant on Whose Line Is It
Anyway.)

. o O (I once told my wife that her sister is very pretty.)

. o O (I voted for George W. Bush.)

Steve Sousa

Victor L. Romany

Mar 5, 2001, 3:19:05 PM3/5/01
Thanks for the explanation.

VicRoma

Gary Gambino

Mar 5, 2001, 7:07:10 PM3/5/01
"Dean Scungio" <dscu...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> Comments and many "Pop-Ups" below.

> . o O ( Aung San Suu Kyi was a human rights activist from Burma. )

.oO (The country's name was changed to Myanmar in 1989.)

> . o O ( He received the Prize in 1991. )

.oO (Aung San Suu Kyi is a woman.)

.oO (Regis pronounced her name "Ang Sun Suu Kyi".)

Chris & Kelly Otto

Mar 5, 2001, 10:52:18 PM3/5/01
> I'm going to amend a previous post, and make this rule #2 of SCS
> Millionaire. "Never, ever, under any circumstances, no matter how hard
Regis
> tries to bring up the subject, say anything about your trivia prowess. No
> other game shows you've been on, no other trivia bowls you've been in. You
> will never, EVER, win the big money."

A corollary of sorts I've been wondering about: "If you show off too much --
If you brag about how much you know about the choices you don't pick -- you
will die soon." I call it the phosphorescent potato rule.

So whaddaya think?? Opinions, anyone??

Brett A. Pasternack

Mar 6, 2001, 2:25:14 PM3/6/01

I don't know, but in the case of the phosphorescent potato rule, the
contestant *had* properly worked out the logic of the question--his only
problem was that the writers had written a faulty question! They asked
what *vegetable* had been made to glow, and he quite properly reasoned
that no one would make a potato glow because it's underground and no one
could see it. It was given as the right answer--but he was correct, no
one *would* make a potato glow. It was actually potato *leaves* that
glow, and I've never considered that a vegetable. So he was a victim of
bad writing, not his own hubris. B^)

Chris & Kelly Otto

Mar 6, 2001, 11:26:28 PM3/6/01
> I don't know, but in the case of the phosphorescent
>potato rule, the contestant *had* properly worked out
>the logic of the question . . .
>. . .
> . . . So he was a victim of bad writing, not his own
>hubris. B^)

Okay, I see your point, although IMO it wasn't *that* poorly written,
especially if you think in terms of "the vegetable kingdom" instead of "the
non-sugary things in the produce isle".

However, I wasn't referring to his strategy in answering that question. I
think that particular question was difficult and obscure for its level
($16,000 IIRC...) In answering the questions before that one, I thought the
guy was showing off way too much. He was visibly stunned when the potato
question appeared.

I won't go so far as to say that the producers play with the question stack
in mid-game, even though they have the technology to do that. I'm just
suggestin' that it might be bad luck to show off, like someone else suggests
it's bad luck to break into song when you're in the hot seat...

Brett A. Pasternack

Mar 6, 2001, 11:47:14 PM3/6/01
Chris & Kelly Otto wrote:

> > I don't know, but in the case of the phosphorescent
> >potato rule, the contestant *had* properly worked out
> >the logic of the question . . .
> >. . .
> > . . . So he was a victim of bad writing, not his own
> >hubris. B^)
>
> Okay, I see your point, although IMO it wasn't *that* poorly written,
> especially if you think in terms of "the vegetable kingdom" instead of "the
> non-sugary things in the produce isle".

The kingdom is "the plant kingdom". The question should have asked "What
plant..." and it would have been fine. "Vegetable" by definition refers
to the food.

> However, I wasn't referring to his strategy in answering that question. I
> think that particular question was difficult and obscure for its level
> ($16,000 IIRC...) In answering the questions before that one, I thought the
> guy was showing off way too much. He was visibly stunned when the potato
> question appeared.

Fair enough.

Bill Bonde

Mar 7, 2001, 12:26:58 AM3/7/01

Chris & Kelly Otto wrote:

> > I don't know, but in the case of the phosphorescent
> >potato rule, the contestant *had* properly worked out
> >the logic of the question . . .
> >. . .
> > . . . So he was a victim of bad writing, not his own
> >hubris. B^)
>
> Okay, I see your point, although IMO it wasn't *that* poorly written,
> especially if you think in terms of "the vegetable kingdom" instead of "the
> non-sugary things in the produce isle".
>
> However, I wasn't referring to his strategy in answering that question. I
> think that particular question was difficult and obscure for its level
> ($16,000 IIRC...) In answering the questions before that one, I thought the
> guy was showing off way too much. He was visibly stunned when the potato
> question appeared.
>
> I won't go so far as to say that the producers play with the question stack
> in mid-game, even though they have the technology to do that.

IF they do that, they are doing nothing different from what was done in
quiz show scandals in the past.

> I'm just
> suggestin' that it might be bad luck to show off, like someone else suggests
> it's bad luck to break into song when you're in the hot seat...

Is it wrong to explain the logic of your choices? If it turns out to be
faulty, which is sometimes the case, at least you can claim there was a
reason for your mistake.

Dave Legler

Mar 7, 2001, 7:39:39 PM3/7/01
In article <OSVo6.4542$yv4.3...@bgtnsc07-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, "Gary
Gambino" <gamb...@worldnet.att.net> writes:

>> . o O ( Aung San Suu Kyi was a human rights activist from Burma. )
>
>.oO (The country's name was changed to Myanmar in 1989.)

"You probably know it as Myanmar, but it will always be Burma to me."

John Sergent

Mar 9, 2001, 5:14:52 PM3/9/01
"Brett A. Pasternack" wrote:

> Chris & Kelly Otto wrote:
> >
> > > I don't know, but in the case of the phosphorescent
> > >potato rule, the contestant *had* properly worked out
> > >the logic of the question . . .
> > >. . .
> > > . . . So he was a victim of bad writing, not his own
> > >hubris. B^)
> >
> > Okay, I see your point, although IMO it wasn't *that* poorly written,
> > especially if you think in terms of "the vegetable kingdom" instead of "the
> > non-sugary things in the produce isle".
>
> The kingdom is "the plant kingdom". The question should have asked "What
> plant..." and it would have been fine. "Vegetable" by definition refers
> to the food.

vegetable
noun
1.a.A usually herbaceous plant cultivated for an edible part, as roots,
stems, leaves, or flowers.

b. The edible part of such a plant.

2. An organism classified as a plant.

3. A person who leads a monotonous, passive, or merely physical existence.

--
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's
too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx

Bill Bonde

Mar 9, 2001, 8:43:13 PM3/9/01

Actually, it is still 'Burma' to the United States because the United
States doesn't recognize he military government currently in charge or
their name change.

Chris & Kelly Otto

Mar 9, 2001, 11:01:02 PM3/9/01
Thanks for the definitions...anyway, after watching that annoying third-year
law student, I'm starting to doubt the validity of that stupid rule I made
up. He went pretty far.

So I was thinkin' of another spurious rule. Maybe something about ugly
people getting difficult questions tossed their way to get rid of them. That
one was disproven by the next contestant. I give up...

...It's a little comforting to me, though, seeing that there's hope for the
arrogant and ugly. ;-)