UK Millionaire: November 12

Iain Weaver

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
On Wednesday, this happened...

“Good heavens! Not *the* Chris Tarrant!”
“Well, it is, actually. Are you *the* Brian Whitlock of Crouch End?”
“Nothing ventured, nothing gained.”
Daughter Liz Whitlock made £32,000 thanks to everyone shouting
“Argentina”, but missed “Sudan” for £64,000.

Pete Walsh steers his way through London’s boat race to £32,000, but
falls short on his knowledge of French painters of ballet dancers.

Chris: “You’re frightening the hell out of me.”
Barbara McGee is ecstatic to get the nod, and staggers to £64,000 in 13
minutes 15 seconds when time expires.

Season 5, Episode 7; November 11, 1999

Rugby bumpers again. We’re a full hour again tonight.

No lifelines remain for Barbara, so this looks set to be a fleeting
visit.

Today’s outfits: Barbara’s in a blue top, but has added black trousers
overnight - it was a dress yesterday. Chris is in a black suit, white
shirt and gold tie, with a poppy in his lapel. No womin on the UK
edition has ever won £125,000 according to Chris, and Barbara is coming
in off just three hours sleep. Hope she cat-napped during the day.

£125,000: What was the name of Angus Deayton’s character in the sitcom
“One Foot In The Grave”?
A) Peter B) Philip
C) Patrick D) Paul
She’s smiling, but she’s not certain. Not even a good idea. She doesn’t
watch it, and will take the money.

C) Patrick was correct, but she’s done well. Just 100 seconds tonight,
a total on-screen time of 14:55.

The Series Scoreboard:
1) Ben Bartle 125000
Gerry Lennon 125000
3) Dave Ferguson 64000
* Barbara McGee 64000
5) Liz Whitlock 32000
Pete Walsh 32000
7) Calum Davison 16000
8) Garry Wilkins 8000
Rick Lawless 8000
Keith Rumney 8000
Craig Jefford 8000
12) David Crombleholme 4000

Total prize money so far: £494,000 from twelve contestants.

Gene is a lady:
Alan Freear - Lancashire
John Taylor - Sheffield
Bernard Marco - Essex
Peter Burnes - Merseyside
Gene Hunt - Essex
Chris Blamey - Kent
Peter Boakes - Essex
Steve Daly - Lancashire
Henryk Tomaszewski - Kent
Bert Thompson - Lincolnshire

FFF moment: Starting with the earliest, order these Liz Taylor husbands.
A) Richard Burton B) Larry Fortenski
C) Nick Hilton D) Eddie Fisher

C) 1950 D) 1959
A) 1964, 75 B) 1991

Husband #9?
Bernard Marco - 10.42

Bernard’s in his 60s, seriously balding, wearing a dark green cardigan
and pink shirt. Wife Mavis is in the audience, two children in the
country. He served in the RAF during the war, and is a retired betting
shop manager. One time, at Lingfield race course, he bumped into a
lady, and said “Don’t I know you from somewhere?” The Queen Mother (for
it was she) knew him afterwards.

£100: Which of these is the name of a popular ballet?
C) Swan Lake. Though with my skills, D) Duck Pond is right.

£200: Which of these is a feature of a snooker table?
B) Cushion

£300: Who designed St Paul’s Cathedral?
B) Wren

£500: Which of these alternative therapies involves the insertion of
needle tips into the skin?
B) Acupuncture.

£1000: What was the name of the Royal yacht that was decomissioned in
1997?
B) Britannia.

So far, so good. That £1000 is now safe, three lifelines intact.

£2000: The adjective “Gallic” means of or relating to which country?
D) France.

£4000: Liza Minelli is the daughter of which Hollywood legend?
A) Judy Garland

£8000: What is the name of the volcano on the island of Sicily?
A) Etna.
He’s darned sure.

£16,000: In 1997, who became the first female Secretary of State in the
US?
C) Madeline Albright. Not Reno, Clinton or Ferraro.

£32,000: In the dish “devils on horseback”, bacon is wrapped around
which food?
“Not so certain of this one.”
50/50, thinking it’s prunes, leaves
C) Prunes D) Eggs
Mavis looks dead worried.
But he’s going with C) Prunes. Or is he. No, he’s going to Ask The
Audience.
C) Prunes 85% D) Eggs 15%
“I fancy prunes. They fancy prunes. I’m going with it.”
C) Prunes. The correct answer. It’s taken him 2:23 to get through this
question, but it’s worth it.

The Audience Average is .917 (11/12); 75.83% correct.

Join us after this break.

[department store, grocery, yoghurt, “Babe”]

Matters arising. One common barometer of fame is that you’re mentioned
on Channel 4’s braintwisting quiz, “Fifteen To One”. Rewind to 4:06
this afternoon, when this happened.
Host William G. Stewart: “Celador Productions has won many awards for a
show they make for ITV. Which show is that?”
Contestant Andrew: “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.”

“Chris Tarrant” is the usual answer. In addition to his million for
presenting this show for the next few years, he’s signed a 3 million
quid contract to present Capital Radio’s breakfast show for the next
two years. And Capital’s Birmingham outlet, BRMB, will start a million
pound giveaway on Monday. Reports to follow.

Welcome back. Bernard Marco is on a guaranteed £32,000 with phone a
friend remaining, and Mavis will get a diamond ring out of this.

£64,000: Which of these is a unit of temperature measurement?
A) Mole B) Candela
C) Kelvin D) Ampere
And he thinks. We see 15 seconds, it could well have been a lot longer.
Decides to phone Melvin. Some quick editing here; we’ll see why in part
3.
Bernard and Melvin talk at slightly crossed purposes, but “Kelvin” is
the chosen answer.
C) Kelvin is his choice. And it’s a good one. Mavis is clapping like a
performing seal.

£125,000: Who designed the Guggenheim Museum in New York?
A) Frank Lloyd Wright B) Raymond M Hood
C) Cass Gilbert D) Walter Gropius
“I haven’t a clue. At a guess, I’d go with A, but I’ll take the money.”
Frank Lloyd Wright was the correct answer, but, again, Bernard will
enjoy his earnings. He kisses and hugs Mavis before they leave the
studio, arm in arm. A touching end to his 12 minutes 20 of fame.
Aaaaah, warm and fuzzies.

The Series Scoreboard:
1) Ben Bartle 125000
Gerry Lennon 125000
3) Dave Ferguson 64000
Barbara McGee 64000
* Bernard Marco 64000
6) Liz Whitlock 32000
Pete Walsh 32000
8) Calum Davison 16000
9) Garry Wilkins 8000
Rick Lawless 8000
Keith Rumney 8000
Craig Jefford 8000
13) David Crombleholme 4000

Total prize money so far: £558,000 from thirteen contestants.

Order these places from South to North:
A) Barnsley B) Shrewsbury
C) Carlisle D) Reading

D - B - A - C is the order.

Right!
Peter Burnes - 6.78
Gene Hunt - 6.07
Chris Blamey - 9.86
Steve Daly - 7.65
Bert Thompson - 9.54

Gene Hunt is our one lady of the night; she’s in her 40s, frizzy blonde-
white hair, glasses, white jacket and blue blouse. She’s a secretary
from Essex, and is wearing her lucky pendant of Egyptian hieroglyphics.
Husband John is in the audience, two children are at home, along with
two grand-children. She intends to shop till she drops. “Car, house,
the list is endless.”

£100: What is the common name for a frankfurter with mustard, eaten in
a long roll?
B) Hot dog.

£200: Which surname links tennis player Billie Jean and Nobel prize
winner Martin Luther?
B) King.

£300: Complete the title of this Shakespeare play “The Merry Wives
Of...”
B) Windsor. Not Oldham or Huddersfield.

£500: Isaac Singer is associated with the development of which
household item?
B) Sewing machine.

£1000: What is Blackadder’s first name?
B) Edmund.

In the bank, and three lifelines remain.

£2000: In Greek mythology, which race of giants had one eye in the
middle of their foreheads?
C) Cyclops
“Not 100%, but I’ll go with it.”
Lifelines? She goes with it. And is correct.

£4000: Who was the father of Queen Elizabeth II?
Audience?
A) Edward VIII 7% B) George VI 76%
C) Edward VII 4% D) George V 13%
Gene goes with the audience, and is correct.

The Audience Average is .917 (12/13); 75.85% correct.

£8000: Which of these musicals was not composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber.
50/50?
C) Chess D) Aspects Of Love
C) Chess is the final answer. Composed by Benny and Bjorn out of ABBA.

£16,000: Which of these groups was named after its drummer and bass
player?
A) Wilson Phillips B) Fleetwood Mac
C) Manfred Mann D) Steely Dan
Phone Joanne.
“I don’t know. I’d only be guessing. Sorry.”
Gene takes the money. Fleetwood Mac is the correct answer. It’s been a
flying 7:20 for Gene. Fastest Fingers after the break.

Wilson Phillips was named after its singers, Manfred Mann its founder,
and Steely Dan just sounded good.

The Series Scoreboard:
1) Ben Bartle 125000
Gerry Lennon 125000
3) Dave Ferguson 64000
Barbara McGee 64000
Bernard Marco 64000
6) Liz Whitlock 32000
Pete Walsh 32000
8) Calum Davison 16000
9) Garry Wilkins 8000
Rick Lawless 8000
Keith Rumney 8000
Craig Jefford 8000
* Gene Hunt 8000
14) David Crombleholme 4000

Total prize money so far: £566,000 from fourteen contestants.

[kytv - where there’s no way of watching itv; investment trusts;
breakfast cereal; petrol]

FFF: Starting with the largest, put these standard string instruments
in order of size.
A) Cello B) Guitar
C) Violin D) Double bass

D-A-B-C is the order they’re looking for.

Right!
Alan Freear - 8.11
Peter Burnes - 6.47
Peter Boakes - 10.03

Peter Burnes is a youthful-looking 40, from the Wirral, with well-
groomed blond hair and a light tan shirt. Wife Sue would have been with
us, but can’t leave the special needs children she works with. Peter
started a new job yesterday, and is taking time off already.

£100: With which sport is Frank Bruno associated?
C) Boxing. Not netball, oddly.

£200: Which of these names is commonly given to the religious southern
states of the US?
C) Bible Belt.

£300: With which of the following events is Guy Fawkes most associated?
A) Gunpowder plot.

£500: Which of these songs topped the charts for Madonna in 1986?
C) Papa Don’t Preach. Not her other classic, Oh Mein Papa.

£1000: In “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland”, who is the sleepy
character at the Mad Hatter’s tea party.
C) Dormouse. He’s hesitant, but correct.

That’s banked; three lifelines remain.

£2000: In which European capital city is the Colosseum?
D) Rome.

£4000: Which professor was played by Rex Harrison in the film musical
“My Fair Lady”?
C) Professor Higgins.

£8000: The word “gastric” relates to which part of the body?
D) Stomach.

£16,000: What was established by Alan Pinkerton in the 1850s?
A) Detective agency. Good answer.

£32,000: Elizabeth Barrett married which poet?
D) Robert Browning.
Peter is confident, and remembers the information from school. Good
memory.

£32,000 is safe, and all three lifelines are intact. Could the million
go here? He’s one cool customer. It’s just six minutes to climb this
high.

£64,000: Whom did the British fight at the Battle of Rourke’s Drift in
1879?
He knows it, again from school.
A) Boers B) Zulus
C) French D) Turks
B) Zulus. He remembers well.

£125,000: Which Shakespeare play features a clown called Touchstone?
A) As You Like It B) Much Ado About Nothing
C) Love’s Labours Lost D) Comedy of Errors
That’s got him thinking.
50/50 is called for. He has an inkling, must be playing smart.
A) As You Like It B) Much Ado About Nothing
Hasn’t helped at all.
Audience? No pressure at all.
A) As You Like It 65% B) Much Ado About Nothing 35%
No pressure, no real majority. No decision. Phone a friend. Joan, her
mother-in-law gets the call.
She thinks it’s “As You Like It”, but it’s still a guess.
Peter elects to take the money, stopping his clock at 13:05 - 5:04 on
this last question alone. Seeing as how the show can’t split questions
over recording sessions (it’s not fair on the contestant, for
starters), we had to finish what we’d started. That explains the
cutting of Bernard’s latter stages in part 2.
The correct answer was “As You Like It.”

The Audience Average is .929 (13/14); 75.07% correct.

The Series Scoreboard:
1) Ben Bartle 125000
Gerry Lennon 125000
3) Dave Ferguson 64000
Barbara McGee 64000
Bernard Marco 64000
* Peter Burnes 64000
7) Liz Whitlock 32000
Pete Walsh 32000
9) Calum Davison 16000
10) Garry Wilkins 8000
Rick Lawless 8000
Keith Rumney 8000
Craig Jefford 8000
Gene Hunt 8000
15) David Crombleholme 4000

Total prize money so far: £630,000 from fifteen contestants.

That’s all for tonight. Just 30 minutes tomorrow, at 20:00 (23:00 on
the DTTV and cable channel ITV2). On opposite the BBC’s well-rated
“Ground Force” programme, and Channel 5’s “Cops In The Sky”. According
to my listings mag, that’s a fly-on-the-wall documentary. Surely they
mean a fly-on-the-fly documentary. But I digress.

Warming up their digits already:
Ian Wright - Leicestershire
Mary Randall - Surrey
David Shill - Middlesex
John Stainton - Suffolk
Richard Norton - Leeds
Ian Copland - Cambridgeshire
John Stephenson - Glasgow
Michael Banks - Berkshire
Zulma Dudgeon - Cambridgeshire
Derek Cunningham - Lanarkshire

To enter, call now 09002 44 44 44. Premium rate call, 50p per minute,
maximum of two minutes. Contestants must be 16 years or older. Lines
close midday on Monday 15 November. Summary of the rules on ITV
teletext p 375, full rules on ITV’s website www.itv.co.uk, or by
sending a stamped addressed envelope to Millionaire Rules, PO Box 4444,
London WC2E 9TA.

“Who Wants To Be A Millionaire”
Host: Chris Tarrant
Devised by: David Briggs, Steve Knight, Mike Whitehill
Director: Patricia Mordecai
Producer: Coleman Hutcheson
Copyright Celador Productions 1999.

“Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Summary”
Written by: Iain Weaver
From a format by: Jeremy Soria
Written at Weaver Towers, somewhere in the Central region.
Copyright Iain Weaver 1999.
All views are those of the author, and are not shared by any other
person or organisation. Game material remains the property of Celador
Productions.

--
All these summaries at:
http://www.geocities.com/wvrnews/