JS Millionaire 11/22

Dave Mackey

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
DLettermen <dlett...@aol.com> wrote in message
news:19991122223759...@ng-fi1.aol.com...
> I just "blindly" would not have known this, but, through a little
deduction of
> going through a few fairly common Hawaiian words (aloha, knocks out H,
Maui,
> knocks out M, and I didn't have an exact word to knock out N, but, I know
> theres some words with -ana- in it) , I got the answer "T" fairly quickly.
> Maybe she was too nervous to "think" like that, cause she seems to just go
> right away after the question was asked "I don't know!" (I didn't notice
that
> it looked edited there).

The word "mahini" came immediately to mind. I don't know if that's a real
Hawaiian word, but I could have figured it out.

--
WARNING: Do not add me to ANY
consent. Failure to heed this warning

Jeremy Soria

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
Monday, November 22, 1999

West Coast, just wait.

PREVIOUSLY ON MILLIONAIRE:

We gave away two checks for $32,000... and another check for at least $32,000
is on the way.

STATS FOR WEEK 2:

Not counting Bob Ehrenberg, these are the stats:

There were 14 contestants, winning a combined $2,101,000, an average of a
little over $150,000 per contestant. The average Fastest Finger First time was
5.404 seconds. These contestants averaged getting 10.9286 questions correctly.

From the 14 contestants, 6 of them passed their last question, 7 missed it,
and 1 of them answered their last question correctly for the million. From
those who missed, only TWO contestants this time had at least one LifeLine
remaining. Of the other five who had no LifeLines, only ONE had nothing at
risk.

The most successful contestant, of course, was John Carpenter, who won the
million. After him were two contestants picking up $250,000, Toby Moore and
Matt Marcotte. The least successful contestant was John Capolongo, who
answered seven questions correctly before choking on the Charlie's Angels.

And now, from New York, Night 16 of...

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?

Jane Oviatt has $32,000 under her belt, and what seems to be the least helpful
LifeLine left, Ask the Audience. Will it help her here? We shall find out.

For $64,000:
Who was the first gymnast to score a perfect 10 in the Olympics?
She's a big Olympics fan, and she chooses Nadia Comaneci.
And... she just won SIXTY-FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $125,000:
Which artist popularized the sculpure with movable parts known as the mobile?
A. Pablo Picasso
B. Alexander Calder
C. Auguste Rodin
D. Henry Moore

Ask the Audience may or may not help when we get:
20-55-8-17

She will go with the Audience. I hope they're right.

They're flashing something up there now...

It's...

ALEXANDER CALDER for ONE HUNDRED TWENTY-FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS!

After these words from AT&T and McDonald's, we get a chance for $250,000...

And this is it:
Which of the following letters does not exist in the traditional Hawaiian
alphabet?
A. H
B. M
C. N
D. T

She doesn't know, and neither does Regis. So she bails out, considering she
doesn't know and it'd be a total guess.

We are now up over three million with $3,116,000 from 31 contestants.

FASTEST FINGER FIRST:

Place these family-led groups in the order of their FIRST ALBUM, starting with
the earliest.

A. Everly Brothers
B. Van Halen
C. Pointer Sisters
D. Hanson

Correct answer: A-C-B-D
Winner and time: David Patrick in 5.04 seconds!

David Patrick is from Seattle, Washington. He teaches math at the University
of Washington. Calculus.

For $100:
According to a popular '80s, what kind of food don't "real men" eat?
He chooses Quiche for $100. (I didn't know this question.)

For $200:
Which of the following instruments do you have to blow into to play?
He chooses trumpet for $200. (NC)

For $300:
In what general direction are you travelling if you fly from Oklahoma City to
Los Angeles?
He says West for $300.

For $500:
What number is the ultimate goal when playing Blackjack?
He chooses 21 for $500.

For $1000:
Which of the following is not an example of computer hardware?
He says web browser -- which is software -- for $1000.

Who are these interestingly good-looking Italian guys with New York accents on
Nitro?

For $2000:
In ballet, howmany dancers participate in a traditional pas de deux?
A. 2 B. 3 C. 4 D. 1
He chooses 2 from the French for 2.

...and he's won $2000!

For $4000:
What of the following roads is often described to describe the ad industry?
He chooses Madison Avenue for $4000.

For $8000:
What's a Portuguese man-of-war? (hint: it's not a wrestler)
A. Card Game B. Jellyfish B. Battleship D. Climbing Plant

He chooses Jellyfish and wins $8000.

For $16,000:
Who is the last character to be eaten by the shark in the movie "Jaws"?
A. Ellen Brody B. Quint C. Hooper D. Sheriff Brody

Ask the Audience, and we get: 5-65-15-15

He's sticking with the audience.

I also just read about this in Mick Foley's book. So he's got $16,000!

For $32,000:
In 1993, "Take Our Daughters to Work Day" was created by what organization?

A. League of Women Voters
B. Girl Scouts
C. Better Business Bureau
D. Ms. Foundation for Women

A lot of mulling it over results in the 50/50, which leaves:

A. League of Women Voters
D. Ms. Foundation of Women

He risks his Phone-a-Friend on Ms. Foundation of Women...

And...

He's got it! THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!

[I think by now everyone in Hampton Roads knows the Lone Star Steakhouse State
Of Mind jingle now.

Jingles. After all these years, they're still the best way to get your brand
name across. This announcement furnished by Jonathan Wolfert for JAM Creative
Productions.]

[WVEC's countdown to 2000: 42 days. WVEC-TV Hampton/Norfolk.]

For $64,000:
Which of the following topics is the focus of the popular PBS show hosted by
English nun Sister Wendy Beckett?
A. Fine Art
B. Gardening
C. Haute cuisine
D. Bird-watching

He risks his LifeLine on Fine Art...

... and he's got $64,000!

For $125,000:
Which of these countries is NOT on the equator?
A. Kenya B. Ecuador C. Chile D. Indonesia

Well, his watching Carmen Sandiego hasn't paid off, for he is Phoning His
Friend Scott, who did watch Carmen Sandiego a lot. Scott is not sure, but he
guesses Chile.

Will he go for it?

Well...

No.

Remember what we said, it's only easy if you know the answer. And for me, it
was a piece of cake. The answer is Chile, which is south of Ecuador.

Well, David's got $64,000. We need to get back Pyramid. Get a picture.

Total after 32 contestants: $3,180,000.

FASTEST FINGER FIRST:

Place these Bruce Willis movies in order of their theatrical release, starting
with the MOST RECENT:

A. The Fifth Element
B. Death Becomes Her
C. The Sixth Sense
D. Blind Date

Correct order: C-A-B-D
Winner and time: Rob Berman in 5.70 seconds!

Rob Berman is from Brooklyn, working on a Broadway project. He is also
part-owner of a restaurant open for 10 weeks.

For $100:
According to Christmas tradition, you will get kissed if you stand under what?
He says mistletoe - not yule log - for $100.

For $200:
What does "Mardi Gras" mean in English?
He says "Fat Tuesday" for $200.

For $300:
What animal is covered with sharp quills?
He says porcupine - llama wasn't one of the choices - for $300.

For $500:
According to Joyce Kilmer poem, who alone can make a tree?
A. Mother B. Sunlight C. God D. Mr. Acorn
He will Ask the Audience. I would too. We get:
3-11-75-11

So he sticks with the Audience and...

... we get $500.

For $1000:
A Japanese pagoda is which of the following?
He says building for $1000.

Damn, here we go again with the interestingly handsome Italian dudes on Nitro.

Hmmm. Jeff Jarrett calls Mike Tenay "Slappy." (Enough with the singin'
already!)

For $2000:
What Latin phrase commonly refers to an attorney's services being offered for
free?
He chooses "Pro bono" ...

... and he's won $2000!

For $4000:
What TV family lived in the "Little House on the Prairie"?
He never saw the show, but he chooses Ingalls for $4000.

For $8000:
In a matriarchy, who controls familial and political rule?
He chooses women for $8000:

For $16,000:
Which of the following movies was NOT based on a novel?

A. The Shining
B. Message in a Bottle
C. Men in Black
D. Ordinary People

Men in Black was a comic book. Does it count as a novel?

Apparently, it doesn't, and he's won $16,000!

For $32,000:
At sea level, water freezes at what temperature (degrees Farenheit)?
A. 32 B. 0 C. 64 D. 12

He may be reading too much into the question, cause the 50/50 leaves:

A. 32 B. 0

He still is mulling it over.

He chooses 32...

And...

He's got THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!

Can his Phone-a-Friend help him go higher on the ladder? Find out.

For $64,000:
What Pulitzer Prize-winning Broadway play features the character Willy Loman?
He immediately says "Death of a Salesman" and wins SIXTY-FOUR THOUSAND
DOLLARS!

For $125,000:
Pop artist Roy Lichtenstein's best known papintings most closely resemble what
part of a newspaper?
He says comic strip with confidence...

... and... he's got...

ONE HUNDRED TWENTY-FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $250,000:
Which of the following is the patron saint of lost causes?

A. St. Ignatius of Loyola
B. St. Christopher
C. St. Jude
D. St. Francis of Assisi

He will Phone his mom. (applause)
Unfortunately, she doesn't know.

$125,000 is a big chunk of money, and he takes it.

The correct answer is St. Jude.

From 33 contestants, the winnings are now at:

$3,305,000.

FASTEST FINGER FIRST:

Place these world capitals in order from Washington, DC, starting with the
closest.

A. Mexico City
B. London
C. Ottawa
D. Warsaw

Correct answer: C-A-B-D
Winner and time: Chad Harp in 4.97 seconds!

Chad Harp is going to go for the million. He's from Muskogee, Oklahoma. His
parents went to that concert. He's a teacher at a high school.

For $100:
In the nursery rhyme "Jack, Be Nimble", what does the title character jump
over?
He says candlestick for $100.

For $200:
Which of the following foods do you have to "shuck" before eating?
A. Guava B. Zucchini C. Oysters D. Carrots

The 50/50 leaves:

C. Oysters D. Carrots

He goes with oysters... and he's right for $200.

**AH-WHOOOOO!!**

Well, we are up over $3 million, on our way to $4 million... will we get there
by Wednesday? find out tomorrow...

We'll see you right here again, 8pm/7pm Central - see you then!

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE? was created by David Briggs with Michael
Whitehill and Steve Knight for Celador Productions, and is produced in the
United States by Valleycrest Productions for Buena Vista Television.
MILLIONAIRE?: Copyright 1999
Valleycrest Productions and Buena Vista Television.
This Update is Copyright 1999 Jeremy Soria.
All Rights Reserved.

All game material contained herein remains the property of Valleycrest and
BVTV. Opinions expressed in this update are solely those of the compiler.

- Jeremy "The McMahon/Austin feud... could easily be interpreted
as a story of love gone wrong." - Heidi McDonald

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE? Watch ABC and find out.
--
jesoria75 (at) | GSN: Have you | If you think Reggie White is | AUSTIN
mindspring (dot) com | played today? | a jackass, gimme a HELL YEAH~! | 3:16

Andre, Kerry, Eddie, Flyin' Brian, Gorilla Monsoon, Owen Hart ... Sigh ...

DLettermen

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
>Which of the following letters does not exist in the traditional Hawaiian
>alphabet?
>A. H
>B. M
>C. N
>D. T
>
>She doesn't know, and neither does Regis. So she bails out, considering she
>doesn't know and it'd be a total

I didn't get the feeling Regis didn't know, I don't think he wants to come out
and say "oh, well *I* knew and make a contestant feel stupid" (at least I don't
think so).

Reuben Kincaid

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
On 23 Nov 1999 03:37:59 GMT, dlett...@aol.com (DLettermen) wrote:

>>Which of the following letters does not exist in the traditional Hawaiian
>>alphabet?
>>A. H
>>B. M
>>C. N
>>D. T
>>
>>She doesn't know, and neither does Regis. So she bails out, considering she
>>doesn't know and it'd be a total
>

>I didn't get the feeling Regis didn't know, I don't think he wants to come out
>and say "oh, well *I* knew and make a contestant feel stupid" (at least I don't
>think so).
>
>I just "blindly" would not have known this, but, through a little deduction of
>going through a few fairly common Hawaiian words (aloha, knocks out H, Maui,
>knocks out M, and I didn't have an exact word to knock out N, but, I know
>theres some words with -ana- in it) , I got the answer "T" fairly quickly.
>Maybe she was too nervous to "think" like that, cause she seems to just go
>right away after the question was asked "I don't know!" (I didn't notice that
>it looked edited there).

The island of Maui knocks out M.

Mr. Kincaid

Leszek Pawlowicz

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
Think simpler than that - Honolulu.

"Dave Mackey" <Xdma...@raven.cybercomm.net> wrote:

>DLettermen <dlett...@aol.com> wrote in message

>> I just "blindly" would not have known this, but, through a little
>deduction of
>> going through a few fairly common Hawaiian words (aloha, knocks out H,
>Maui,
>> knocks out M, and I didn't have an exact word to knock out N, but, I know
>> theres some words with -ana- in it) , I got the answer "T" fairly quickly.
>> Maybe she was too nervous to "think" like that, cause she seems to just go
>> right away after the question was asked "I don't know!" (I didn't notice
>that
>> it looked edited there).

Dave Mackey

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
Leszek Pawlowicz <les...@nospam.pobox.com> wrote in message

> Think simpler than that - Honolulu.

And your M from Maui. I tried to come up with a single word that had the
three "good" Hawaiian consonants.

Athlon 1GHz

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
On Tue, 23 Nov 1999 06:30:55 -0500, "Dave Mackey"
<Xdma...@raven.cybercomm.net> wrote:
>And your M from Maui. I tried to come up with a single word that had the
>three "good" Hawaiian consonants.

Some words used daily here in Hawaii are menehune (local leprechaun)
and malahini (newcomer or tourist). May be a case like the Pokemon
question, where the schoolkids could come up with the answer faster
than adults.

Some adults may confuse the fact that Hawaii was settled by
Polynesians from places like Tahiti, Tuvalu, Tonga, Tokelau etc.,
where you are more likely than not to encounter people and places
with a "T" in their name.

Tuki Tuki

Jeff Boice

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
What does one make of the 11% of the audience that said "Mr. Acorn"
can make a tree? Illiterate slobs or sarcastic bastards?

MSTieScott

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99

> For $16,000:
> Which of the following movies was NOT based on a novel?
>
> A. The Shining
> B. Message in a Bottle
> C. Men in Black
> D. Ordinary People
>
> Men in Black was a comic book. Does it count as a novel?
>
> Apparently, it doesn't, and he's won $16,000!

Well, comic book collectors might argue that comic books are also called
"graphic novels"...

--
Scott Robinson
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Set/9859/