DL Millionaire 4/22

Dave Legler

May 5, 2001, 8:34:51 PM5/5/01
Returning contest Jane Charnin-Aker if from Syosset, NY. She is a sports
reporter. Husband Jack is with her. He's a former New York Yankee. She
correctly answered the $2000 question last time.

Let's Play!

$4K Which of the following phrases is an example of a hyperbole?

a. Love is a rose
b. This book weighs a ton
c. I like pie
d. Baby on board

She quickly answers b, which is correct.

$8K According to Medieval legend, what is the Holy Grail?

a. Cup
b. Sword
c. Staff
d. Book

She's pretty sure it's a, and it is.

$16K Which of the following television characters has a blue collar job?

a. Phillip Banks
b. Ling Woo
c. Niles Crane
d. Cliff Clavin

She knows that b and c are professionals. She's going to go with d).
Cliff was a postal carrier, making him the right answer.

$32K Amino acids are the building blocks of which of these organic substances?

a. DNA
b. Proteins
c. Lipids
d. Carbohydrates

She settles on b...

and she's guaranteed 32K.

$64K Which of these cities is located on the southern tip of Africa?

a. Mogadishu
b. Cape Town
c. Johannesburg
d. Casablanca

Her sister just went to b so she's sure that's not it. She goes with b...

Correct for 64K.

$125K What 1848 novel features a manipulative woman named Becky Sharp?

a. Great Expectations
b. Wuthering Heights
c. Middlemarch
d. Vanity Fair

She's read two of these books and not the other two. She says Becky wasn't in
Wuthering Heights. She uses her PAF to call Jenny, a woman Jane met on her
previous, unsuccessful Millionaire appearance. Jenny is 100% certain D is
correct.

Jane goes with Jenny...

and she was right!

$250K What rock band first recorded the sports arena song "Na Na Hey Hey (Kiss
Him Goodbye)?

a. Traffic
b. Free
c. Steam
d. Foghat

Jane uses ATA: A-26% B-20% C-34% D-20%

Unconvinced, Jane uses her 50/50: A and D are removed.

She decides to gamble and goes with c...

which is correct!

$500K In 1832, what American city played host to the first national Democratic
convention?

a. Philadelphia
b. Baltimore
c. Richmond
d. Boston

Out of lifelines, Jane decides to walk with $250K.

b was correct.

FASTEST FINGER: Put these classic movies in order of their first theatrical
release; starting with the most recent:

a. On The Waterfront
b. Duck Soup
c. American Graffiti
d. Blade Runner

DCAB

Steve Perry is the fastest of 5 with a time of 6.73. He is from
Charlottesville, VA and is a first year law student at UVA. Steve was a PAF
for Matt Marcotte and got a laptop for his help.

Let's play!

$100 Which of these words rhymes with "fat"?

a. Dish
b. Hat
c. Tree
d. Large pizza

b is correct

$200 When someone is completely wrong about something, he is said to be "way
off" what?

a. Basket
b. Net
c. Base
d. I-95

c is correct

$300 In order to scowl, a person furrows what part of his body?
a. Brow b. Jaw
c. Elbow d. Personality

a is correct

$500 Clubs whose members swim in cold weather are named for what animal?

a. Salmon
b. Polar bear
c. Husky
d. Loon

b is correct

$1K How long does it take for the Earth to rotate once on its axis?

a. 365 days
b. 24 hours
c. 1 month
d. 10 years

b guarantees him $1K.

$2K The classic Easy-Bake Oven toy uses what heat source to bake cakes?

a. Sunlight
b. Candle
c. Hot water
d. Light bulb

He quickly settles on the correct answer, d.

$4K The celebration of Oktoberfest is commonly associated with what country?

a. Italy
b. Spain
c. Germany
d. United States

His answer of c is correct.

$8K In the 1999 movie "Never Been Kissed", Drew Barrymore plays a reporter
going undercover as what?

a. High school student
b. Aspiring model
c. Teen pop star
d. Driving instructor

He thinks it's a...

and a is correct.

$16K Clifford Holland is most famous for designing what 20th century structure?

a. Bridge
b. Tunnel
c. Cathedral
d. Factory

He's thinking it the Holland Tunnel...

and he's right.

$32K What Jewish system of theology is a mystical method of interpreting the
Scriptures?

a. Cabala
b. Docetism
c. Eschatology
d. Hasidism

He says it is not c and d. He's pretty sure its a...

and he's guaranteed at least $32K.

$64K Legendary guitarist Eric Clapton was never a member of which of the
following bands?

a. The Yardbirds
b. Cream
c. Traffic
d. Derek and the Dominoes

He knows Clapton was part of a, b, and d. So his answer is c...

and he's right.

$125K Which of these states currently has two female US Senators?

a. Louisiana
b. Maine
c. Vermont
d. Maryland

He names the two female senators from Maine (Olympia Snow and Susan Collins)
and makes b his final answer...

he's right!

$250K In 1999, which of these men was aboard the first hot-air balloon to
circumnavigate the globe nonstop?

a. Bertrand Piccard
b. Richard Branson
c. Steve Fossett
d. Per Lindstrom

He thinks he knows this. He thinks b and c failed. He's not heard d
associated with ballooning and he's pretty sure he remembers reading that it
was a, final answer...

SWISH!

$500K Java man was the first discovered example of what species?

a. Neanderthalensis
b. Homo sapiens
c. Homo erectus
d. Homo habilis

He says it is not a or b, and he doesn't think it is d either. He's pretty
sure it's c, final answer...

EN FUEGO!

$1MIL In the TV series "The Brady Bunch", what is Carol Brady's maiden name?

a. Martin
b. Tyler
c. Nelson
d. Franklin

He correctly starts with ATA

A-33% B-14% C-34% D-19%

He next uses 50/50, removing a and c.

He phones Mike, Steve's designated expert on Carol Brady's maiden name. Steve
prompts Mike to make an internet search, but spends too much time spelling and
gets no answer in time.

Steve decides to walk with half a million. His guess would have been d...

and it would have cost him $468K. b was correct.

FASTEST FINGER: Put these US political leaders in order of their birth;
starting with the earliest:

a. Jefferson Davis
b. Samuel Adams
c. Barbara Boxer
d. Adlai Stevenson

BADC

Jason Scott is the fastest of five, with time of 4.58 seconds. He gives Regis
a big bear hug.
He's from Alexander City, AL. He's a youth minister .

$100 What is the name for the group of women who commonly attend the bride at a
wedding?

a. Bridesmaids
b. Groomsmen
c. Honeymooners
d. Resentful

a is correct.

$200 According to a well known phrase, a person who makes a getaway has "flown
the" what?

a. Trap
b. Coop
c. Flap
d. Helicopter

b is correct.

$300 Which of the following foods is traditionally served well below room
temperature?

a. Gravy
b. Pizza
c. Ice cream
d. Sizzlin' fajitas

c is correct.

$500 When does a person most commonly receive severence pay?

a. During a strike
b. After being laid off
c. While on vacation
d. During job training

b is correct.

$1K Which of these aquatic mammals spends all of its life in the water?

a. Otter
b. Seal
c. Whale
d. Walrus

His answer of c guarantees him $1K.

AWHOOO!

Jason will be back on Tuesday's show.

Bill Bonde

May 5, 2001, 11:10:42 PM5/5/01

Dave Legler wrote:

> Returning contest Jane Charnin-Aker if from Syosset, NY. She is a sports
> reporter. Husband Jack is with her. He's a former New York Yankee. She
> correctly answered the $2000 question last time.
>
> Let's Play!
>
> $4K Which of the following phrases is an example of a hyperbole?
>
> a. Love is a rose
> b. This book weighs a ton
> c. I like pie
> d. Baby on board

e. "This reporter has been in the Korean war, the Vietnam war and the
war with Iraq and can confidentially say that this is a million
times worse than all of them combined."

Brett A. Pasternack

May 6, 2001, 2:38:58 PM5/6/01
. o O ( Episode 257 )

Dave Legler wrote:

> Returning contest Jane Charnin-Aker if from Syosset, NY. She is a sports
> reporter. Husband Jack is with her. He's a former New York Yankee.

. o O ( He also played for the A's, Pilots, Cubs, Braves and Mets. )

. o O ( Jane's brief biography of her husband is available at
http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/baseball/bol/ballplayers/A/Aker_Jack.html )

> She
> correctly answered the $2000 question last time.
>
> Let's Play!
>
> $4K Which of the following phrases is an example of a hyperbole?
>
> a. Love is a rose
> b. This book weighs a ton
> c. I like pie
> d. Baby on board
>
> She quickly answers b, which is correct.

. o O ( Jack Aker was one of the original members of the Seattle Pilots
expansion team. )
. o O ( Leroy Anderson wrote in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer that the
team's first game "had all the drama, excitement, and taut suspense of a
seventh-game showdown in the World Series". )

> $8K According to Medieval legend, what is the Holy Grail?
>
> a. Cup
> b. Sword
> c. Staff
> d. Book

. o O ( We've already got one. It's very nice. )

> She's pretty sure it's a, and it is.

. o O ( <aside> I told them we already got one. )

> $16K Which of the following television characters has a blue collar job?
>
> a. Phillip Banks
> b. Ling Woo
> c. Niles Crane
> d. Cliff Clavin
>
> She knows that b and c are professionals.

. o O ( On Ally McBeal, Ling Woo is a laywer. )
. o O ( On Frasier, Niles Crane is a psychiatrist. )

> She's going to go with d).
> Cliff was a postal carrier, making him the right answer.

. o O ( On Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air, Phillip Banks was a lawyer. )

> $32K Amino acids are the building blocks of which of these organic substances?
>
> a. DNA
> b. Proteins
> c. Lipids
> d. Carbohydrates
>
> She settles on b...
>
> and she's guaranteed 32K.

. o O ( Twenty different naturally occuring amino acids make the basic
building blocks of life. )
. o O ( In 1953, Stanley Miller became the first person to create amino
acids, in an experiment designed to replicate the conditions in which
life first originated. )

> $64K Which of these cities is located on the southern tip of Africa?
>
> a. Mogadishu
> b. Cape Town
> c. Johannesburg
> d. Casablanca
>
> Her sister just went to b so she's sure that's not it. She goes with b...
>
> Correct for 64K.
>
> $125K What 1848 novel features a manipulative woman named Becky Sharp?

. o O ( Jane was an English major at Brown University. )

> a. Great Expectations
> b. Wuthering Heights
> c. Middlemarch
> d. Vanity Fair
>
> She's read two of these books and not the other two. She says Becky wasn't in
> Wuthering Heights. She uses her PAF to call Jenny, a woman Jane met on her
> previous, unsuccessful Millionaire appearance. Jenny is 100% certain D is
> correct.
>
> Jane goes with Jenny...
>
> and she was right!

. o O ( The phrase "vanity fair" originates in The Pilgim's Progress by
John Bunyan, where the town of Vanity has a fair established by
Beelzebub, Apollyon and Legion. It is open throughout the year and
offers all sorts of earthly delights. )
. o O ( The Pilgrim's Progress was voted the most boring classic in
literature in 1950. )

> $250K What rock band first recorded the sports arena song "Na Na Hey Hey (Kiss
> Him Goodbye)?

. o O ( Although Millionaire added these parentheses to the title, there
were no parentheses in the original title. )

> a. Traffic
> b. Free
> c. Steam
> d. Foghat
>
> Jane uses ATA: A-26% B-20% C-34% D-20%
>
> Unconvinced, Jane uses her 50/50: A and D are removed.
>
> She decides to gamble and goes with c...
>
> which is correct!

. o O ( Steam, a trio of New York area studio musicians, were convinced
that they had a huge hit on their hands. )
. o O ( They worried that if the flipside of the single was any good, it
could distract attention from the hit side, so they purposely set out to
make the worst flipside they could, complete with repetitive lyrics,
vocalists coming in and out at odd times, and an overly-long title that
didn't exactly reflect the lyrics of the song. )
. o O ( "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" was that flipside, and it
became a number one smash, while no one ever noticed the song they were
so proud of, "It's The Magic In You Girl". )
. o O ( The band was so upset that all three members quit, and a
completely different Steam group went on tour. )

> $500K In 1832, what American city played host to the first national Democratic
> convention?

. o O ( It was actually the Democratic-Republican Party convention; the
party voted to shorten the name at its third convention, in 1840. )

> a. Philadelphia
> b. Baltimore
> c. Richmond
> d. Boston
>
> Out of lifelines, Jane decides to walk with $250K.
>
> b was correct.

. o O ( State legislatures had already renominated President Andrew
Jackson, but the convention chose his running mate, Martin Van Buren,
who had been secretary of state during part of Jackson's first term,
when John C. Calhoun was vice president. )

> FASTEST FINGER: Put these classic movies in order of their first theatrical
> release; starting with the most recent:
>
> a. On The Waterfront
> b. Duck Soup
> c. American Graffiti
> d. Blade Runner

. o O ( Harrison Ford played Bob Falfa in American Graffitti and Rick
Deckard in Blade Runner. )

> DCAB

. o O ( 1982; 1973; 1954; 1933 )

. o O ( There was also a 1927 Laurel and Hardy short titled "Duck Soup".
)

. o O ( Airdate: 4/22/01... )

> $1K How long does it take for the Earth to rotate once on its axis?
>
> a. 365 days
> b. 24 hours
> c. 1 month
> d. 10 years
>
> b guarantees him $1K.

. o O ( ...Earth Day )

> $2K The classic Easy-Bake Oven toy uses what heat source to bake cakes?
>
> a. Sunlight
> b. Candle
> c. Hot water
> d. Light bulb
>
> He quickly settles on the correct answer, d.

. o O ( "Lights" was a hit for Journey in 1978--their first year with
Steve Perry as lead singer. )

> $4K The celebration of Oktoberfest is commonly associated with what country?
>
> a. Italy
> b. Spain
> c. Germany
> d. United States
>
> His answer of c is correct.
>
> $8K In the 1999 movie "Never Been Kissed", Drew Barrymore plays a reporter
> going undercover as what?

. o O ( The most kissed person in a film was John Barrymore in the title
role of the 1926 version of Don Juan. He is kissed 127 times. )

> a. High school student
> b. Aspiring model
> c. Teen pop star
> d. Driving instructor
>
> He thinks it's a...
>
> and a is correct.

. o O ( At the movie's climax, she goes onto the field of the local
baseball stadium and asks that a certain amount of time be put on the
clock, giving the boy she likes that much time to come out and finally
kiss her. )
. o O ( Baseball does not employ a clock. )

> $16K Clifford Holland is most famous for designing what 20th century structure?
>
> a. Bridge
> b. Tunnel
> c. Cathedral
> d. Factory
>
> He's thinking it the Holland Tunnel...
>
> and he's right.

. o O ( The toll for cars through the Holland Tunnel was recently
increased from $4 to $6. )
. o O ( That's going into New York--there is no toll going into New
Jersey. )

> $32K What Jewish system of theology is a mystical method of interpreting the
> Scriptures?
>
> a. Cabala
> b. Docetism
> c. Eschatology
> d. Hasidism
>
> He says it is not c and d.

. o O ( eschatology: the branch of theology dealing with beliefs about
the end of the world. )
. o O ( Hasidism: An Orthodox Jewish sect founded in the 18th Century,
based around a resistance to secularization and joyous religious
expression through music and dance. )

> He's pretty sure its a...
>
> and he's guaranteed at least $32K.

. o O ( Docetism: the beleif that Jesus had no human body, and only
appeared to die on the cross. )

. o O ( The cabalah--more commonly spelled "kabbalah"--was a major
influence on the rise of Hasidism. )

> $64K Legendary guitarist Eric Clapton was never a member of which of the
> following bands?
>
> a. The Yardbirds
> b. Cream
> c. Traffic
> d. Derek and the Dominoes
>
> He knows Clapton was part of a, b, and d. So his answer is c...
>
> and he's right.

. o O ( The lead singer of Traffic, Steve Winwood, was also the lead
singer of two groups, The Powerhouse and Blind Faith, that Clapton
played guitar in. )
. o O ( Clapton is the only three-time member of the Rock And Roll Hall
Of Fame, having been honored for his solo career and as a member of The
Yardbirds and Cream. )

> $125K Which of these states currently has two female US Senators?
>
> a. Louisiana
> b. Maine
> c. Vermont
> d. Maryland
>
> He names the two female senators from Maine (Olympia Snow and Susan Collins)
> and makes b his final answer...
>
> he's right!

. o O ( Steve Perry the singer was born in Hanford, California. )
. o O ( California also has two female senators, one of whom is Dianne
Feinstein. )

> $250K In 1999, which of these men was aboard the first hot-air balloon to
> circumnavigate the globe nonstop?
>
> a. Bertrand Piccard
> b. Richard Branson
> c. Steve Fossett
> d. Per Lindstrom
>
> He thinks he knows this. He thinks b and c failed. He's not heard d
> associated with ballooning and he's pretty sure he remembers reading that it
> was a, final answer...
>
> SWISH!

. o O ( Piccard and his co-pilot, Brian Jones, touched down in the
Egyptian desert on March 21, 1999 to complete the journey. )
. o O ( "Brian Jones" was also the name of an original member of the
Rolling Stones. )

. o O ( The first person to reach the stratosphere in a hot-air balloon
was Auguste Piccard--Bertrand's grandfather. )

> $500K Java man was the first discovered example of what species?
>
> a. Neanderthalensis
> b. Homo sapiens
> c. Homo erectus
> d. Homo habilis
>
> He says it is not a or b, and he doesn't think it is d either. He's pretty
> sure it's c, final answer...
>
> EN FUEGO!

. o O ( Eugene Dubois, who made the discovery, had designated it as
pithecanthropus erectus. )
. o O ( Initial reports of his discovery, in 1894, caused such an outcry
that he re-buried the remains at his own house, leaving them there for
30 years. )

> $1MIL In the TV series "The Brady Bunch", what is Carol Brady's maiden name?
>
> a. Martin
> b. Tyler
> c. Nelson
> d. Franklin
>
> He correctly starts with ATA
>
> A-33% B-14% C-34% D-19%
>
> He next uses 50/50, removing a and c.
>
> He phones Mike, Steve's designated expert on Carol Brady's maiden name. Steve
> prompts Mike to make an internet search, but spends too much time spelling and
> gets no answer in time.

. o O ( A Google search for "Carol Brady maiden name" gets a link for
www.funtrivia.com that no longer has the topic up, and one for
www.netbox.com that incorrectly gives the answer as a. )

> Steve decides to walk with half a million. His guess would have been d...
>
> and it would have cost him $468K. b was correct.

. o O ( Tyler was her maiden name, and Martin was her name during her
first marriage. )
. o O ( The series never explained whether she was divorced or widowed.
In the movie version, Mr. Martin, long thought dead, returns. )

> FASTEST FINGER: Put these US political leaders in order of their birth;
> starting with the earliest:
>
> a. Jefferson Davis
> b. Samuel Adams
> c. Barbara Boxer

. o O ( Barbara Boxer is the other female senator from California. )

> d. Adlai Stevenson
>
> BADC

. o O ( 1722; 1808; 1900; 1940 )

. o O ( Davis himself was not quite sure of the year of his birth: "I am
not a competent witness in the case, having once supposed the year to
have been 1807, I was subsequently corrected by being informed it was
1808, and have rested upon that point because it was just as good, and
no better than another." )

> Jason Scott is the fastest of five, with time of 4.58 seconds. He gives Regis
> a big bear hug.
> He's from Alexander City, AL. He's a youth minister .
>
> $100 What is the name for the group of women who commonly attend the bride at a
> wedding?
>
> a. Bridesmaids
> b. Groomsmen
> c. Honeymooners
> d. Resentful
>
> a is correct.

. o O ( The phrase "always a bridesmaid, never a bride" originated in
advertisements for Listerine mouthwash. )

> $200 According to a well known phrase, a person who makes a getaway has "flown
> the" what?
>
> a. Trap
> b. Coop
> c. Flap
> d. Helicopter
>
> b is correct.

. o O ( Which is literally what the heroes are trying to do in the film
"Chicken Run". )

> $300 Which of the following foods is traditionally served well below room
> temperature?
>
> a. Gravy
> b. Pizza
> c. Ice cream
> d. Sizzlin' fajitas
>
> c is correct.
>
> $500 When does a person most commonly receive severence pay?
>
> a. During a strike
> b. After being laid off
> c. While on vacation
> d. During job training
>
> b is correct.
>
> $1K Which of these aquatic mammals spends all of its life in the water?
>
> a. Otter
> b. Seal
> c. Whale
> d. Walrus
>
> His answer of c guarantees him $1K.
>
> AWHOOO!
>
> Jason will be back on Tuesday's show.

. o O ( Total winnings this episode: $750,000 )
. o O ( Total winnings to date: $55,224,000 )

. o O ( "Pop-Up Video" is a trademark of VH-1, Viacom, and Spin the
Bottle Productions. )

. o O ( Adapted for atgs by Dean Scungio. )

. o O ( POP! )