JS Millionaire 11/24

Jeremy Soria

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
Wednesday, November 24, 1999

For the last time, West Coast, wait up for three months -- I mean three weeks
-- argh, no - THREE HOURS! It's just one more night.

PREVIOUSLY ON MILLIONAIRE:

Chad Harp does somewhat well on the game until he gets to his second
milestone. A little too much money results in money taken away from him to
leave $1000.

Jason Francis does quite better on his run, and takes it all the way up to
$64,000.

Shawn Borogosz did okay, but it was a little bit of inattention that cost him
$15,000.

Laura Kelner is a wonderful female giggling at almost every gag answer :) and
is on her way to at least $1000. We'll see what happens on the very last night
of this run of...

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?

Lauren Kelner, not Laura, made a promise to her daughter Lee that she wouldn't
mention her name on television. But she does anyway. It's spelled "Leigh" not
"Lee" :)

On his 45th birthday, coming up on New Year's Day, he wants a red Corvette.
But now, he wants a Jaguar.

For $1000:
Which department store sponsors the Thanksgiving Day parade in New York?
She says Macy's for $1000!

For $2000:
What kind of cooking instrument is a wok?
She says a pan for $2000.

For $4000:
How long is a fortnight?
A. 1 week B. 1 month C. 2 weeks D. 5 days
She says 2 weeks...
...and she's right for $4000!

For $8000:
The african festival Kwanzaa is celebrated for one week after which of the
following holidays?
She says Christmas with a lot of confidence...
... and picks up $8000!

For $16,000:
What group of people is referred to collectively as "the fourth estate"?
A. Press B. Clergy C. Teachers D. Military
This is the first time she's heard "the fourth estate". So she will Phone Her
Friend Marsha.
They discuss the question... and she says "the press" with no certainty.

Marsha is a journalist, so I guess the press went with her.

She sticks with The Press...

... and ....

... it's good for $16,000!

For $32,000:
The term "natural selection" was coined by which scientist?
She looks confident in Darwin.

... and she wins THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $64,000:
What is the current annual salary of the president of the United States?
A. $200,000 B. $250,000 C. $300,000 D. $500,000

She will risk only her 50/50 on $200,000.

She's right! She has SIXTY-FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $125,000:
Which of these cities is NOT a U.S. State Capital?
A. Pierre B. Chicago C. Olympia D. Lincoln
She says Chicago immediately...

... and wins ONE HUNDRED TWENTY-FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS!

Drugs are bad, m'kay?

Hey! What's gotten into that cat?

For $250,000:
In what city was Rosa Parks arrested in 1955 for refusing to give up her seat
on a bus?
A. Selma, AL B. Little Rock, AR C. Amarillo, TX D. Montgomery, AL
The 50/50 will not help as it leaves:
A. Selma, AL D. Montgomery, AL

She knows Alabama, but not what city.

So she keeps the money!
Hey, she's got $125,000!

The total from 38 contestants is now $3,495,000. Let's keep going!

FASTEST FINGER FIRST:

Place these TV news personalities in order of their birth, starting with the
earliest.

A. Bryant Gumbel
B. Barbara Walters
C. Matt Lauer
D. Ted Koppell

Correct answer: B-D-A-C
Winner and time: Neil Larrimore in 5.96 seconds!

Neil Larrimore is from Plymouth Meeting, PA, and he's assistant PD at a radio
station in Philadelphia. He does DJing around the place, and he's just now a
new father. However, Regis throws at him the expression "stacks of wax" and
gets a nonplussed reaction from Neil. :)

For $100:
In Hans Cristian Andersen's tale, the "new clothes" the emperor wore in the
parade were made from what?

Hmmm... he doesn't know this one, actually! Don't be ashamed, that's what the
LifeLines are for!

The choices are:
A. Lycra B. Silk C. Nothing at all D. Gold
Ask the audience and we get 1-19-63-17...
He goes with the audience and gets $100.

For $200:
What mechanical "animal" did John Travolta ride in "Urban Cowboy"?
He says "bull" and it's good! $200.

For $300:
In a standard game of golf, what piece of equipment is officially used to hit
the ball?
Neil: "The way *I* play?"
He says club for t$300.

For $500:
Which of these industries existed BEFORE 1850?
He says coal mining and gets $500.

For $1000:
Which of the following types of triangles has three equal sides?
He says "equilateral" - his dad said to the TV at that point, "DON'T ASK A
MATH QUESTION!" - and gets $1000.

For $2000:
Which of these musical instruments is NOT in the brass family?
He says clarinet - a woodwind - for $2000.

For $4000:
What animated TV show began as a series of vignettes on the Tracey Ullman
show?
He says The Simpsons - someone asked him that earlier in the week - and gets
$4000!

For $8000:
What is the score of a perfect bowling game?
He says 300 for $8000!

For $16,000:
How often does the Earth complete one full rotation on its axis?
We didn't fool him with "every year" - he said "every day" and it's good for
$16,000!

For $32,000:
In terms of land area, what is the largest state in the United States?
A. Colorado B. Texas C. Alaska D. California

Neil: "Is this continental US or all 50 states?"
Regis: "What are you, a wise guy? (with emphasis) In the United States.
(shrugs) I do that because... I'm not sure!" (laughter)
Neil: "I believe that in the 50 United States... you know what...
it's either..."
Regis: "the 50 United States."
Neil: "I believe the answer will be (C) Alaska."
(Regis, looking at Neil, thinking silently.)
Neil: "However, that is not my final answer. (laughter) I'm going to use
my Phone-a-Friend."

Neil Phones his Friend Darryl in Tennessee:

(Neil reads the question and the 4 possibilities)

Darryl:
"That's a great question, Neil. (laughter) I wanted to say Texas when you
brought it up, but I'm not sure. (as time expires) I love you, man!"

(laughter and applause)

Regis:
"(sarcastically) Yeah, and Darryl, we love you too, man! And thanks a lot. How
come on the radio, you guys know everything? I'm going to say it again, the 50
United States, which is the largest state in terms of land area?"

Neil:
"Since Darryl was NO HELP WHATSOEVER, I'm going to say Alaska, and *that* is
my final answer."

He finally chooses Alaska...

... and wins THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!

If he wins a lot more money, he's going to get a Ford Mustang. Then he'll try
for a trip for Australia. For Darryl ... Squat-tah!

For $64,000:
By definition, if you are a viticulturist, which of the following woudl you
grow?
A. Grapes B. Oranges C. Olives D. Figs

The 50/50 leaves:
A. Grapes C. Olives

He takes a guess on grapes. For $64,000, is it grapes?

YES! for SIXTY-FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $125,000:
Who was the only US president never to marry?
A. Franklin Pierce B. Chester Arthur C. James Buchanan D. James Polk
Says immediately James Buchanan for ONE HUNDRED TWENTY-FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $250,000:
What character in Greek mythology was condemned to continuously roll a heavy
stone up a hill?
A. Hercules B. Sisyphus C. Prometheus D. Apollo

I'm thinking he's using Process of Elimination for Sisyphus as his final
answer.

As you know, a guess is as good as any... and this is an educated guess
considering he eliminated A, C, and D verbally...

Again, Sisyphus is his final answer...

... and ...

Well...

He's got TWO HUNDRED FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!

Insert Legal ID here:
WVEC's countdown to 2000: 38 days.
WVEC-TV Hampton/Norfolk.

For $500,000:
Which of the following actors has NOT portrayed Jesus Christ in the movies?
A. Max von Sydow B. Willem Dafoe C. Jeffrey Hunter D. Charlton Heston

Here's the situation: Two of 'em have - he doesn't know about the other two.
Willem Dafoe and Charlton Heston he thinks.

But he can't risk the money. He takes home $250,000!

The final total from 39 contestants is $3,745,000.

Let's roll that highlight reel!

Hey - the correct answer to the final question is Charlton Heston, if you were
wondering.

The pecking order of the 39 contestants is as follows:

(Most to least money won; number of questions answered correctly, LifeLines
left at the end, and Fastest Finger times breaks ties, respectively.)

Contestant Winnings Right Life FFF nth player
John Carpenter $1,000,000 15 2 5.42 26
Matt Marcotte $250,000 13 0 3.41 29
Neil Larrimore $250,000 13 0 5.96 39
Toby Moore $250,000 13 0 6.14 23
Gary Levine $250,000 13 0 17.11 11
John Lamantia $125,000 12 0 4.18 12
Tim Reilley $125,000 12 0 5.24 24
Lauren Kelner $125,000 12 0 5.25 38
Jane Oviatt $125,000 12 0 5.40 32
Rob Berman $125,000 12 0 5.70 34
Andres Rivera $125,000 12 0 6.41 17
Al Metz $125,000 12 0 7.30 25
Jeff Siehl $64,000 11 0 3.41 5
Mike Feinberg $64,000 11 0 3.70 13
Joel Winkelsas $64,000 11 0 4.97 7
David Patrick $64,000 11 0 5.04 33
Jason Francis $64,000 11 0 5.18 36
Rick Grimes $64,000 11 0 5.19 15
Jennifer Mullins $64,000 11 0 5.85 21
Beth Plummer $64,000 11 0 6.52 10
Tom Pajak $32,000 12 0 5.82 16
Brent Austin $32,000 11 0 4.35 19
John Nelson $32,000 11 0 5.21 30
Ted Patchell $32,000 11 1 5.08 8
Dan Dagey $32,000 10 0 4.92 20
Darrin Despain $32,000 10 0 5.52 18
John Cuthbertson $32,000 10 1 6.05 2
Bob Ehrenberg $32,000 10 2 4.99 31
Stephen Fox $32,000 10 2 5.28 27
Joel McElvain $32,000 10 3 4.25 6
Adam Fine $16,000 9 0 3.35 14
John Christiansen $16,000 9 0 5.49 4
Chad Harp $1,000 9 0 4.97 35
Shawn Borgosz $1,000 9 0 7.28 37
Clark Hantzmon $1,000 9 1 5.33 9
Mark Megarian $1,000 9 3 5.13 1
Meredith Mansfield $1,000 8 0 6.76 22
John Capolongo $1,000 7 3 3.85 28
Jim Baird $1,000 6 2 2.80 3

--Final stats for Week 3--

Total winnings this week: $787,000
Number of contestants: 9
Average Fastest Finger: 5.53 seconds
Average winnings: $87,444
Average correct answers: 11
Missed/Passed Ratio: 3/6

Two contestants had money on the line when they missed; the other had only two
of his LifeLines at risk.

Most successful: Neil Larrymore, $250,000 on 13 questions

Least successful:
Chad Harp and Shawn Borgoz, both $1000 on 9 questions and no LifeLines left

--Final stats for November 1999--

Total winnings this series: $3,745,000
Grand total from all series: $5,179,000
Number of contestants: 39
Average winnings: $96,051
Average correct answers: 10.744
Average Fastest Finger: 5.482 seconds

And let's roll the short credits:

Host
REGIS PHILBIN

Executive Producers
MICHAEL PAUL
DAVIES SMITH
(US) (UK)

Producer
VINCENT RUBINO

Director
MARK GENTILE

Supervising Producer
ANN MILLER

Senior Producer
TERRENCE McDONNELL

Portions of the program not affecting the outcome of the game have been
edited. Contestants must meet eligibility requirements to win annonuced
prizes. Promotional consideration paid for by AT&T.

Executive in Charge of Production
THERESA MOORE-KING

Recorded at
ABC TELEVISION CENTER
NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK
(I think they moved it, though)

For the Millionaire Updates:

Inspired by
CHRIS M. DICKSON
ROBAIR MACKEY

Producer/Editor/Creator
JEREMY SORIA

Computer
PROTEVA <www.proteva.com>

ISP
MindSpring <www.mindspring.com>

VIRGINIA'S ABC AFFILIATES

WVEC 13 Norfolk <www.wvec.com>
WRIC 8 Richmond <www.wric.com>
WSET 13 Lynchburg/Roanoke <www.wset.com>
WKPT 19 Kingsport/Bristol
WHSV 3 Harrisonburg/Charlottesville
<www.whsv.com>
WJLA 7 Washington DC <www.abc7dc.com>

Special Thanks To
JASON BLOCK
EVAN STEWART
BRIAN HAMBURG
and the rest of the gang at ALT.TV.GAME-SHOWS

Produced at
JS World HQ
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Visit Jeremy's Lair at
http://members.xoom.com/jesoria/

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?

was created by

DAVID BRIGGS

with

MICHAEL STEVE
WHITEHILL KNIGHT

for

CELADOR PRODUCTIONS

and is produced
in the United States by

VALLEYCREST PRODUCTIONS

for

BUENA VISTA TELEVISION

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?:
Copyright 1999 Valleycrest Productions and Buena Vista Television.
This Update is Copyright 1999 Jeremy Soria.
All Rights Reserved.

All game material contained herein remains the property of Valleycrest and
BVTV. Opinions expressed in this update are solely those of the compiler.

Once again, it's been my pleasure to run down the events of the past 18
days... a lot of fun, surprises, controversy, enjoyment was had by all.

We shall do it again next time around... in the new millenium!

- Jeremy "The McMahon/Austin feud... could easily be interpreted
as a story of love gone wrong." - Heidi McDonald

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE? Watch ABC and find out.
--
jesoria75 (at) | GSN: Have you | If you think Reggie White is | AUSTIN
mindspring (dot) com | played today? | a jackass, gimme a HELL YEAH~! | 3:16

Andre, Kerry, Eddie, Flyin' Brian, Gorilla Monsoon, Owen Hart ... Sigh ...

Jason Wuthrich

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
Jeremy Soria <jesoriaREMO...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
> Wednesday, November 24, 1999

And now, join us from New York for the final night of ...

> WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
>

> On [Lauren's husband's] 45th birthday, coming up on New Year's Day, he

> wants a red Corvette. But now, he wants a Jaguar.

Winning a lot of money can do that to a person.

> For $1000:
> Which department store sponsors the Thanksgiving Day parade in New York?
> She says Macy's for $1000!

How appropriate.

> For $2000:
> What kind of cooking instrument is a wok?
> She says a pan for $2000.

I would have said strainer. Rats.

> For $64,000:
> What is the current annual salary of the president of the United States?
> A. $200,000 B. $250,000 C. $300,000 D. $500,000
>
> She will risk only her 50/50 on $200,000.
>
> She's right! She has SIXTY-FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS!

BTW, it will be doubled to $400,000 in 2001.

> Hey! What's gotten into that cat?

I've got four--and two dogs--at home for Thanksgiving. That's 24 legs!

> FASTEST FINGER FIRST:
>
> Place these TV news personalities in order of their birth, starting with
the
> earliest.
>
> A. Bryant Gumbel
> B. Barbara Walters
> C. Matt Lauer
> D. Ted Koppell
>
> Correct answer: B-D-A-C
> Winner and time: Neil Larrimore in 5.96 seconds!

I finally got this one right! Maybe next series I can concentrate on speed.

> Neil Larrimore is from Plymouth Meeting, PA, and he's assistant PD at a
radio
> station in Philadelphia. He does DJing around the place, and he's just now
> new father. However, Regis throws at him the expression "stacks of wax"
and
> gets a nonplussed reaction from Neil. :)

That expression is older than "The Neighbors."

> For $100:
> In Hans Cristian Andersen's tale, the "new clothes" the emperor wore in
the
> parade were made from what?
>
> Hmmm... he doesn't know this one, actually! Don't be ashamed, that's what
the
> LifeLines are for!

Worked for Robby Roseman...yeah, right.

> The choices are:
> A. Lycra B. Silk C. Nothing at all D. Gold
> Ask the audience and we get 1-19-63-17...
> He goes with the audience and gets $100.

I'd like to meet the 1% that said lycra...

> For $300:
> In a standard game of golf, what piece of equipment is officially used to
hit
> the ball?
> Neil: "The way *I* play?"
> He says club for t$300.

I need a baseball bat. :-)

> Darryl:
> "That's a great question, Neil. (laughter) I wanted to say Texas when you
> brought it up, but I'm not sure. (as time expires) I love you, man!"
>
> (laughter and applause)

:-D ROFL

> For $250,000:
> What character in Greek mythology was condemned to continuously roll a
heavy
> stone up a hill?
> A. Hercules B. Sisyphus C. Prometheus D. Apollo

<snip>

> As you know, a guess is as good as any... and this is an educated guess
> considering he eliminated A, C, and D verbally...
>
> Again, Sisyphus is his final answer...

> He's got TWO HUNDRED FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!

Wow. I would have bailed out here.

> The final total from 39 contestants is $3,745,000.

> --Final stats for November 1999--

> Total winnings this series: $3,745,000
> Grand total from all series: $5,179,000

Final answer? It's $5,178,000.

> VIRGINIA'S ABC AFFILIATES
>
> WVEC 13 Norfolk <www.wvec.com>
> WRIC 8 Richmond <www.wric.com>
> WSET 13 Lynchburg/Roanoke <www.wset.com>
> WKPT 19 Kingsport/Bristol
> WHSV 3 Harrisonburg/Charlottesville
> <www.whsv.com>
> WJLA 7 Washington DC <www.abc7dc.com>

Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo/Battle Creek's ABC stations:

WOTV 41 (www.wotv.com) and WZZM 13 (www.wzzm.com)

> All game material contained herein remains the property of Valleycrest and
> BVTV. Opinions expressed in this update are solely those of the compiler.

And as always, my opinions are mine and mine alone.

We'll see you the new millennium. Until then, in the words of Wild
Orchid...

Adios...
Sayonara...
Buh-bye!!!

Written and edited by
JASON WUTHRICH

Produced at:
MY HOUSE
Kalamazoo, MI

(c) 1999 Jason Wuthrich All rights reserved.

DLettermen

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
> The choices are:
> A. Lycra B. Silk C. Nothing at all D. Gold
> Ask the audience and we get 1-19-63-17...
> He goes with the audience and gets $100.

I was semi-shocked that only 63% tho put in the right answer. Does this mean
this question was actually much more difficult than it would seem, maybe should
have been in the middle level? Or was it just an audience of idiots?