UK Millionaire, November 25

Iain Weaver

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00
Last time, on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

#266 Chris Elliot... lightning doesn't strike twice... nor does the
Peasant's Revolt... he takes £125,000.

No-one knows the sequence in which traffic lights change. Remind me to
keep *well* off the roads.

#267 Jim Parker... "they're my initials"... "I drink it"... Jim's luck
runs out at The Free Shot, guessing a bandicoot is a rodent, not a
marsupial.

#268 Ben Whitehead... student... young... manages to ride his luck...
"Norwich"... "wine"... "Switzerland"... £125,000 and no lifelines.

ITV2 repeat was 10:30 Sunday.

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?
November 25, 2000; Edition 124
Series 8 Episode 37

Ben Whitehead, student from Liverpool, is unexpectedly knocking on The
Thirteen Club. He's still in suede jacket, white t-shirt. Chris' colour
is dark blue. Ben's parents needed scraping off the ceiling, not least
because they don't need to subsidise him any more. He and friend Brendan
went to a Leicester Square restaurant, and flirted with an Australian
waitress that he'd been in the hot seat. Didn't work. Did leave his
biggest tip ever, a whole £10.

£250,000 - The "cuckoo" pint is a wild plant with which alternative
name?
A) Lords and ladies B) Kings and queens
C) Dukes and duchesses D) Princes and princesses
"I've no idea, I'm pleased to say."
Doesn't even have an inkling.
Ben retires with £125,000.

The right answer is Lords and ladies.

So, time to meet tonight's top ten. Twelve million in total, over
£95,000 per show. Two ladies, one pierced eyebrow, and one guy almost
caught picking his nose.

FFF: Trumpton firemen in the roll call
A) Barney McGrew B) Grubb
C) Cuthbert D) Dibble

It's Pugh, Pugh, A) Barney McGrew C) Cuthbert D) Dibble B) Grubb

Fastest of one, 13.87 seconds, Linda Allan. About 50, but looks 40, in
brown top with darker brown scarf. Part-time art teacher in York,
husband Robin in the audience, four kids at various parts in the UK.
She's hit the age where she wants to scare herself silly, having been on
a helicopter trip before. She also wants to expand the dining room, to
cater for grandkids. Trace of a Scottish accent.

£100 - In "Rub-a-dub-dub," who joined the butcher and the baker in the
tub?
A) Vicar B) MP C) Candlestick maker D) Little Miss Muffet
C)

£200 - Which type of oil do you burn if you stay up late?
A) Olive B) Castor C) Midnight D) Baby
B)

£300 - Terry Jones and Graham Chapman were members of which Flying
Circus?
A) Michael Anaconda B) Maurice Cobra
C) Monty Python D) Morgan Puff-Adder
C)

£500 - If you look after something temporarily, you're holding the
A) Garrison B) Fort C) Castle D) Citadel
B)

£1000 - Which of these forms of transport might have a pillion
passenger?
A) Skateboard B) Taxicab C) Motorcycle D) Supermarket trolley
C)

£2000 - Which of these countries is landlocked?
A) Australia B) Belarus C) Chile D) Denmark
"I ought to know this."
"It's not Chile, the narrow one down the west coast."
"I think I need to ask the audience, I can't think where Belarus is."
Yes, let's ATA
A) Australia 9% B) Belarus 73%
C) Chile 7% D) Denmark 11%
Linda will go with the audience.
B) Belarus
"It's the right answer!"

Belarus, former Soviet Republic, capital Minsk, north of Ukraine.

---<commercials here>---

Linda's frightened, but not thrilled.

£4000 - Who starred in the 1996 film "The Nutty Professor"?
A) Eddie Murphy B) Robin Williams
C) Will Smith D) Billy Crystal
Not one Linda saw.
"Don't think it was Billy Crystal. I'm trying to remember what it was
about."
Time to phone a friend. Hannah. Future daughter-in-law.
"It was Eddie Murphy. Positive."
Going with the in-laws
A) Eddie Murphy
"It's good."

£8000 - Which of these is a type of bat?
A) Flying mouse B) Flying fox C) Flying wolf D) Flying hare
"There's not a flying wolf, and I can't imagine a flying hare."
"Bat is a kind of mouse-type creature, so I'll go for flying fox."
That's confused Chris.
B) Flying fox
"So why not flying mouse?"
"It just... Fox is what it is."
"It is what it is."
And it's right.

£16,000 - In the poem by Coleridge, which bird was killed by the Ancient
Mariner?
A) Kittiwake B) Puffin C) Gull D) Albatross
"It's an albatross, Chris."
A) Albatross
"It's the right answer."

Up and down inside 30 seconds. Chris' summary after the question takes
longer.

£32,000 - Delia Smith is a director of which football club?
A) Cambridge United B) Norwich City
C) Ipswich Town D) Notts County
Linda is grinning, she thinks she knows.
"I think it's Norwich City."
"If you're wrong..."
"Not only that, but my husband and sons won't speak to me again."
All big footy fans, apparently.
Chris repeats the question.
Linda saw an article where the tv chef spoke of her association.
"I seem to remember it was a City."
"Wanna play?"
"Yes. Norwich City."
B) Norwich City
"There's no going back..."
Three, four seconds of pause.
"You've just won £32,000."

*Now* it's a thrill. 50/50 remains.

£64,000 - Which year is represented in Roman numerals as MDCLXVI?
A) 1536 B) 1666 C) 1746 D) 1856
We did Roman numbers for a FFF on Thursday.
Linda works it out. Slowly.
Can't quite handle the math, so goes 50/50
B) 1666 D) 1856
"I think it's 1666."
Not sure how she got there.
"No, I think it's 1856."
"Why have you suddenly changed your mind."
"Looks like 16 at the end."
So she goes for
D) 1856

Find out which is right after the

---<commercials>---

On Thursday, we went 1/10 in a FFF on Roman numerals. On Saturday, Linda
Allen has gone 0/1 on Roman numerals. 1666 was the right answer.

FFF: Starting with the most populous, order these countries.
A) England B) Mexico
C) Australia D) Switzerland

B-A-C-D looks good. In millions: 81-46-17-7

Fastest of three, 6.70 seconds, Martine Knight. Bright pink blouse,
utterly gobsmacked, dark hair, maybe 45. Police station enquiry officer
from Helston, Cornwall. Father Grenville in the audience, husband Chris
and four children at home. Martine used to be a "very nice" traffic
warden, and once won a colander. Hoping for as many holes in tonight's
cheque.

£100 - Which of these follows a wedding?
A) Blue moon B) Honeymoon C) New moon D) Keith Moon
B)

£200 - What is the traditional wafer container for ice cream?
A) Tuba B) Trumpet C) Trombone D) Cornet
D)

£300 - Which type of comedy gets its laughs from knockabout humour?
A) Slapstick B) Yardstick C) Cleftstick D) Lollystick
A)

£500 - What type of animal is a wild boar?
A) Pig B) Sheep C) Cat D) Goat
A)

£1000 - Which bone in the body is called the crazy bone in the USA?
A) Kneecap B) Skull C) Funny bone D) Collarbone
C)

£2000 - What type of transport is Budgie, the character created by the
Duchess of York?
A) Hovercraft B) Bus C) Submarine D) Helicopter
D)

The books are a little beyond Martine.

£4000 - Which band released the album "The Wall"?
A) Black Sabbath B) Pink Floyd C) Green Day D) Orange Juice
B)

£8000 - If Monday's child is fair of face, which day's child works hard
for a living?
A) Thursday B) Friday C) Saturday D) Sunday
Here comes a long think.
Reciting the rhyme.
"Friday"
Reciting the rhyme in public.
"Friday's child works hard for a living,
"Saturday's child is loving and giving."
B) Friday
"It's the wrong answer."
It's Saturday
"Friday's child is loving and giving,
"Saturday's child works hard for a living."

Another FFF after these

---<commercials>---

FFF: Starting with the lowest, order these properties from UK Monopoly
by value.
A) Park Lane B) Pentonville Road
C) Piccadilly D) Pall Mall

B-D-C-A
120-140-280-350

Fastest of three, 5.34 seconds, John Randall. 45-ish, glasses,
pink-purple shirt. Horse racing statistician from Kent; mother Betty in
the audience. He'd like to buy the skeleton of Eclipse, an 18th century
horse. He'd also like to own some racehorses; Fastest, Finger and First.
John doesn't bet, though he would like to take Hugh Grant to Antarctica
and bury him under the snow. And give his mother, at least 70, a crash
course in bungee jumping.

£100 - Which of these is a film company?
17th Century Rabbit 18th Century Chicken
19th Century Wolf 20th Century Fox
D)

£200 - Someone completely deceived has "swallowed it..."
A) Hook line and sinker B) Bell book and candle
C) Lock stock and barrel D) Blood sweat and tears
A)

£300 - What are listed against numbers to help solve crossword puzzles?
A) Hints B) Clues C) Facts D) Red herrings
B)

£500 - Which of these is a butterfly?
A) Green captain B) Orange commander C) Red admiral D) Blue lieutenant
C)

£1000 - What is the first name of the female singer Morissette?
A) Mariah B) Sheryl C) Alanis D) Tori
C)

£2000 - In North America, what term is applied to women's thin nylon
tights?
A) Pantaloons B) Pantyhose C) Pantalettes D) Pantsuit
"Pantyhose."
"How do you know."
"I'd not like to say."
B) Pantyhose
It's right.

£4000 - From 1945 to 1969, Matt Busby managed which football club?
A) Manchester United B) Blackburn Rovers
C) Manchester City D) Bolton Wanderers
Sir Matt, as he became.
A) Manchester United

"He's got £4000, Betty."
"Ah, well."
Not impressed.

£8000 - Which island has a parliament called the Tynwald?
A) Jersey B) Holy Island C) St Michael's Mount D) Isle of Man
He's never visited, but read about it on
D) Isle of Man

£16,000 - Bysshe was the middle name of which poet?
A) Byron B) Keats C) Wordsworth D) Shelly
"Shelly. Percy Bysshe Shelly."
D) Shelly
"You've just won £16,000."

All going very swimmingly. I think he could do *very* well.

£32,000 - Which Hollywood film was re-made as the musical "High
Society"?
A) It's A Wonderful Life B) Bringing Up Baby
C) The Philadelphia Story D) Casablanca
"The Philadelphia Story."
Nothing Chris says will change that.
C) The Philadelphia Story
Correct.

Time expires.

John will be back next time, going for the free shot with three
lifelines.
"Is that good, Betty?"
"Yes, I suppose so."

Since Day 1: £12,127,000 from 270 completed contestants.

For UK Millionaire:
Format by: Chris M Dickson, Jeremy Soria, Charlie Pevey
Certain questions at the lower levels have been edited for space and
brevity.

For Who Wants To Be A Millionaire:

Creators: David Briggs, Steve Knight, Mike Whitehill
Associate Producer: Melinda Rogers
Executive Producer: Coleman Hutchinson
Director: Jonathan Bullen
Producer: Damon Pattison

A Celador Production for ITV, 2000.

An hour at 8:00 Monday on itv (10:00 Tuesday itv2).

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.