JS Millionaire 1/23

Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria)

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
Sunday, January 23, 2000

PREVIOUSLY ON MILLIONAIRE:

Moscow. A Plum. Red. Hemoglobin.

Those four correct answers caused four contestants to meet their demise in the
Hot Seat.

Nathaniel Zylstra is in the chair, and so far he's done well. He's on his way
to securing himself some serious money, with two more questions from the
$32,000 mark. Can he win some big money tonight? We'll see tonight on...

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?

For $16,000:
Which of these states regularly flies the confederate battle flag over its
Capitol building?
A. Tennessee B. North Carolina C. South Carolina D. Alabama

South Carolina is his choice, given the news.

And...

... IT'S GOOD! $16,000!

For $32,000:
What ancient written language did the Rosetta Stone help decipher?
He explains that it helped decipher Egyptian, with confidence, and he WINS
THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS! (Da da-da da-da-da-da-DAAAAAAAA!)

For $64,000:
In "Jerry Maguire", what team finally showed Cuba Gooding Jr's character the
money?
I remember it, it was the Arizona Cardinals. He remembers it too, and he WINS
SIXTY-FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $125,000:
The Newbery Medal is awarded for excellent in what field?
A. Poetry B. Nonfiction C. Children's Literature D. Science Fiction

He's taking a lot of time in thinking about this question. Is he confident
enough about the answer? Or will he use a LifeLine to knock out some
possibilities?

The 50/50 leaves:

C. Children's Literature D. Science Fiction

He will go with Children's Literature.

And...

YEAH! HE HAS ONE HUNDRED TWENTY-FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $250,000:
Which of the following architects is known for coining the phrase "Form
follows function?"
A. Frank Lloyd Wright B. Louis Sullivan
C. Charles LeCorbusier D. Dankmar Adler

Nathaniel is going to Phone His Friend Kyle, who's in Hawaii on vacation.
Kyle guesses LeCorbusier.

What the hell, he'll go with Charles LeCorbusier.

But sadly, it's Louis Sullivan. But hey! It's $32,000!

FASTEST FINGER FIRST: Place these cities in geographical order, EAST to WEST,
according to their nickname.

A. Twin Cities B. Motor City C. Emerald City D. Big Apple

Correct Answer: D-B-A-C (New York - Detroit - Minneapolis/St. Paul - Seattle)
Winner/Time: Rob Coughlin, 5.38 seconds!

Rob Coughlin from Shoreline, Washington, is the next contestant. He's a
research associate for a transit company. Back in the '80s, he lived in a
cabin in Alaska. :)

For $100:
A "breathalyzer" measures what in a person's breath?
He says alcohol for $100.

For $200:
What word refers to the color/texture of a person's skin?
Complexion for $200. Or in UK, Complection.

For $300:
what year came BEFORE the year 200 BC?
300 BC is good for $300.

For $500:
Which of these substances is used for pencil lead?
Graphite wins $500.

For $1000:
On "The Honeymooners" what was Ralph Kramden's profession?
He says bus driver - he works for a bus agency - for $1000.
Da-da-da da-da-da-da-DAAAAA!

For $2000:
Which of the following words precedes "With Mussolini" in the title of a '99
movie starring Cher?
He saw the movie - Tea for $2000.

For $4000:
Sancho Panza is the squire of what literary character?
He remembers "Man of La Mancha" and knows it's Don Quijote, and it's good for
$4000.

For $8000:
Which of the following is commonly used in fire extinguishers?
A. Flour B. Baking Soda C. Baking Powder D. Cornstarch
We ATA and get (4-65-24-7) a smile from Rob. He goes with Baking soda...

... and wins $8000.

For $16,000:
What ruler was known as the "Sun King"?
He remembers King Louis XIV, the only King Louis listed here, and he wins
$16,000!

Mary and Rhoda reunite on February 7!

For $32,000:
What movie star's role was cut out of "The Big Chill" two weeks before the
film's release?
They refer to someone who passed away - the character was played by Kevin
Costner, according to Rob.

He's RIGHT for THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS! (Da da-da da-da-da-da-DAAAA!)

For $64,000:
What's the world's longest river?
A. Amazon B. Danube C. Nile D. Ganges

This one's a gimme. Or is it? He says the Nile.

And...

Y'know what?

HE'S RIGHT! SIXTY-FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $125,000:
Author William Faulkner's fictional Yoknapatawpha County is located in what
state?
He chooses Mississippi (Faulkner was from Mississippi) and wins ONE HUNDRED
TWENTY-FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $250,000:
Who was the first woman to serve as a US cabinet member?
A. Frances Perkins
B. Pamela Harriman
C. Jeane Kirkpatrick
D. Nellie Tayloe Ross

He chooses Frances Perkins, remembering that she was the first woman in the
cabinet under Franklin Roosevelt...

... and HE'S IN THE THIRTEEN CLUB!

For $500,000:
What is the desert home of Luke Skywalker in the movie "Star Wars"?
A. Hoth B. Endor C. Dantooine D. Tatooine

He's going to Phone His Friend Jim.
Jim gives him 100% assuredness that it's Tatooine.

He's going to lock in some money as he says Tatooine...

... and ...

This is it....

Can we get this man to half a million?

Well....

YES! FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!

And now, it's the Million Dollar Question:
In what country are all the US Major League baseballs currently manufactured?
A. Costa Rica B. Haiti C. Dominican Republic D. Cuba

The 50/50 leaves:

A. Costa Rica B. Haiti

"Why didn't they leave up Cuba?"

He thinks it's one of the two answers - but he'll regret it for having thrown
that bit of trivia he once knew away - so...

he's going to...

TAKE THE MONEY!

The pressure's off, and if he had to guess, he would have guessed Haiti.

Nice country...

And...

It's...

WRONG. It was Costa Rica.

So Rob has joined David and Michael in the 14 Club, taking home $500,000.

FASTEST FINGER FIRST: Place these TV shows in order of the time period they
depict, starting with the earliest.

A. Happy Days B. The Wonder Years C. Star Trek D. Hogan's Heroes

Correct answer: D-A-B-C
Winner/Time: Kurt Warkenthien, 5.83 seconds!

Kurt Warkenthien has a nice wife. He also has five children. And like in many
other families, this show is appointment television to watch the TV for this
show.

For $100:
Which of these professions is not mentioned in the rhyme about "Three Men in a
Tub"?
Quiz show host for $100.

For $200:
What did J. Edgar Hoover run for nearly 50 years?
The FBI for $200.

For $300:
Which of these islands was once a major point of entry for immigrants to the
US?
Ellis Island for $300.

For $500:
What bug's bite can transmit Lyme disease?
Tick (SPOOOOOON!) for $500.

For $1000:
Which of the following cities is home to the famous Sears Tower?
He says Chicago - because he's from Chicago - and wins $1000.
(Da-da-da da-da-da-da-DAAAAAA!)

For $2000:
What mathematical tool is used to measure angles in drawings?
A. Abacus B. French Curve C. Compass D. Protractor
He's unsure, so he will AT friendly New York A who say (5-2-9-84) D for $2000.

For $4000:
What part of the cinnamon tree is the spice cinnamon made from?
A. Leaf B. Seed C. Bark D. Root
The 50/50 leaves:
B. Seed C. Bark

He's going to go with the C - Bark.

He isn't too confident, but that's his final answer...

And he has $4000!

For $8000:
The '56 film "The King and I" features a performance of what American Literary
classic?

A. Huckleberry Finn
B. Uncle Tom's Cabin
C. Gone With the Wind
D. Little Women

Can he remember the performance? He'll guess B.

And he's got...

$8000!

**AH-WHOOOOOO**

- Jeremy "Leave the light on. I'm coming home." - Mankind

--
jesoria75 (at) | "You treat me like a dog and you expect me | AUSTIN
mindspring (dot) com | to smile? You remind me of a JACKASS~!" - SCSA | 3:16

Andre, Kerry, Eddie, Flyin' Brian, Gorilla Monsoon, Owen Hart ... Sigh ...

Dolfan500

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
>In "Jerry Maguire", what team finally showed Cuba Gooding Jr's character the
>money?

I can't believe they gave a gimme no-answer by including a team that wasn't
around when the movie came out.

Guy

Dolfan500

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
>orrect Answer: D-B-A-C (New York - Detroit - Minneapolis/St. Paul - Seattle)
>Winner/Time: Rob Coughlin, 5.38 seconds!

Am I missing where they post the fast times? I never remember seeing it posted?

Guy