UK Millionaire, November 18

Iain Weaver

Nov 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/18/00
Last time, on Who Does That Person Look Like?

#260 Jane Rider... looks like last time's contestant... guesses to
£32,000... and fails The Free Shot.

Looks like #240 Caroline Hughes on Contestant's Row, of whom more in
the break.

#261 Darren Symonds... looks like Frank Jr from Friends... using two
lifelines to £1000 doesn't help matters... guesses to £8000... and no
further.

Chris Tarrant. Looks like a Saturday morning kids' show host from
twenty years ago.

#262 Rowland Hughes... an unremarkable climb to £64,000, with PAF...
looks a bit like a potential millionaire... maybe.

ITV2 repeat 10:30 tomorrow.

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?
November 18, 2000; Edition 121
Series 8 Episode 34

So, having put the kybosh on Rowland, his blue shirt looks awfully
familiar. Chris is in burgundy shirt and tie, the usual grey suit.
Rowland and son Ben were last at the bar after taping, making "a small
dent" into his winnings.

£125,000: Which official post was held by Earl Grey, after whom the
variety of tea is named?
A) British Prime Minister B) Viceroy of India
C) Ambassador to China D) Lord Mayor of London
"Very unsure, comes to don't know."
After prompting, he suspects Prime Minister.
David is the F to P.
"Goodness gracious me! Lucky chap! I must borrow some money from him."
Rowland fills a little, cutting the time to 15 seconds.
David has a long think.
"I have no idea. Could you say them again?"
Not within time.
"I'll take the money."

Rowland Hughes leaves with £64,000. The right answer, just for
interest, was British Prime Minister.

So, time to meet some new people. Four ladies, one visible minority.

FFF: Order these words to title a John le Carre novel.
A) Soldier B) Tailor
C) Tinker D) Spy

C-B-A-D

Fastest of eight, a lot around 6.8 seconds, but 3.87 seconds does it
for Paulette Newman. She's 35 or so, blonde hair, bright pink top, bank
official from Southampton; husband Ray in the audience, baby Amber with
the grandparents. Mel Gibson gets snowbound in a log cabin with a
million. (They allow this before the watershed? Blimey!)

£100: A rare occurrence happens once in a..?
A) Green sun B) Purple star C) Blue moon D) Pink planet
C)

£200: Which of these is a pair of trousers with very narrow legs?
A) Dustbins B) Drainpipes C) Water butts D) Bottle banks
B)

£300: Which three letters are written to acknowledge a debt?
A) BLT B) TUC C) IOU D) YHA
C)

Others: bacon, lettuce and tomato; trades union congress; youth hostel
association.

£500: Which of these words describes an intellectual person?
A) Highbrow B) Highlip C) Highcheek D) Highchin
A)

£1000: Complete the tv drama: Starsky and ..?
"Hutch"
A) Lacey B) Makepeace C) Hutch D) Wife
C)

Paulette's thousand is safe. If she needs some ideas on how to spend
it, here come the commercials.

---<break>---

Caroline Hughes was the roll-over contestant on October 29 and 30. She
took £32,000 before failing on The Free Shot. She thought Queen
Victoria's family name was Windsor, not Hanover.

Chris Dickson pointed out the slow pace of Thursday's show. It's not
unprecedented to spend one part of the show on three late questions, as
Jane did in part 1. Darren used his lifelines early, which does take
time. I noted at the time how the first two parts flew past in just 23
minutes.
There's a choice between having Rowland gunning for a high prize at the
start of next episode, and starting on (say) a £300 question with a new
contestant. In terms of ratings, bringing Rowland back makes sense.

---<brand new: barrymore: sunday @ 6:30>---

Chris' voice is going again. Paulette is a little better.

£2000: Which of these Olympic events is the longest?
A) 20km walk B) Marathon
C) 10,000 metres D) Steeplechase
"It's marathon. 26 miles."
Final answer.
B) Marathon
Right answer.

Marathon is 42km, Steeplechase 3km.

£4000: What was the name of Dorothy's dog in "The Wizard Of Oz"?
A) Toto B) Beethoven C) Snowy D) Lassie
Going with her early idea
A) Toto

£8000: Which of these garden tools has tines?
A) Hoe B) Trowel C) Spade D) Fork
Ray mows the lawns, but Paulette does the digging.
Have they had this question before, or was that a rake?
"It's a fork."
Final answer.
D) Fork
"Which bit are the tines?"
"The forky bits."
No need to use that language! It's still before the watershed.

£16,000: Which of these is known as the sport of kings?
A) Horse racing B) Tennis C) Golf D) Polo
Paulette mutters under her breath.
"Pretty sure I know what it is... but... 50/50."
To leave
A) Horse racing D) Polo
Her thought is still there. Horse racing.
"Want to play?"
Think.
Sigh.
"Play."
A) Horse racing
"Confident?"
"Mm-hum. Ish. I've got a feeling."
"It's good."

£32,000: In which country is the Mojave Desert?
A) Mexico B) Australia C) Tunisia D) USA
"Umm."
Time to call a friend. Alan in Fareham is the lucky chap.
A shorter question leaves Alan 22 seconds.
"I think it's the USA, not 100% confident, but 75%. If you have a
guess, go for that one."
It's not Paulette's original thought.
"I was never any good at geography."
Out of desperation, Paulette will ask the audience.
A) Mexico 26% B) Australia 4%
C) Tunisia 19% D) USA 51%
"I thought it might be Mexico."
"Still might. It's your call."
"I can't decide if it's at the bottom of the USA or in Mexico."
"I'm really tempted to go with what Alan said."
Another sigh.
"I'll play. USA."
"Sure?"
Silence.
"No, Chris, I'm not sure."
Another think.
"I'm taking the money."
"Final answer?"
"Final answer."
"Sure?"
Another pause
"What part of sure don't I understand?"
"There's no time pressure, you're not against the clock, though I would
like to be home for Sunday."
Paulette thinks a little more.
"No, I'll take the money."
It *is* her final answer.
So, Paulette walks with £16,000. She would have doubled it if she had
said USA.

Let's take the break.

Southern California, next to the Colorado desert.

Very minor controversy for WWTBAM this week. It turns out that people
over 60 have been barred from the studio audience since the opening
series. The producers thought that they might have trouble negotiating
the steep steps. *Strictly* from a game show point of view, surely this
acts against the contestants on High Culture ATA questions, removing
some knowledge from the studio.

---<stockbrokers turn 40: cold feet: sunday @ 9>---

FFF: Bible books, alphabetical order
A) Exodus B) Ecclesiastes
C) Esther D) Ezra

B-C-A-D

Fastest of four, 9.50 seconds, Dave Chapman. Pity the person who took
9.52. Dave's in a red shirt, short brown hair, 35-ish. Warehouse
supervisor from Leeds, sister Karen in the audience. He'd like to go
back and get the law degree he never finished, and take Goldie Hawn to
The Station in Leeds, to impress his mates. He once appeared as a cub
scout on Sunday Service.

£100: Which of these was a successful US composer?
A) Rock Carrier B) Cole Porter C) Clay Mover D) Brick Shifter
B)

£200: Which breakfast item is a slang term for a prison sentence?
A) Marmalade B) Porridge C) Cornflakes D) Hash browns
B)

£300: Which of these is an inflamed swelling on the skin?
A) Grill B) Roast C) Bake D) Boil
D)

£500: Which part of the body shares its name with a type of orange?
A) Septum B) Navel C) Pelvis D) Bicep
Dave wants to ATA.
The audience says 24-62-3-11
"I'm gonna go with them."
B) Navel

£1000: Which of these is not a sparkling wine?
A) Asti spumante B) Cava C) Champagne D) Rioja
This is a £1000 question?!
Time to phone a friend. Sue.
"I didn't hear the beginning."
It's *so* not Dave's question.
"Roja? How do you spell it?"
"R-I-O-J-A."
"Yeah, rio-ja. That one."
D) Rioja

"They're only easy if you know the answers."

£2000: What was the first name taken by Williams, who wrote "Cat on a
Hot Tin Roof"
A) Alabama B) Mississippi C) Nevada D) Tennessee
D)

Thomas Lanier Williams

£4000: The Dalai Lama is a leader of which religion?
A) Islam B) Hinduism C) Buddhism D) Christianity
C)

£8000: Which of these words is most associated with Archimedes?
A) Hoi polloi B) Omega C) Eureka D) Olympus
C)

Feeling a lot better.

£16,000: "The Day of the Jackal" features a plot to kill which leader?
"De Gaulle"
A) Colonel Qadaffi B) John F Kennedy
C) Menachim Begin D) Charles de Gaulle

Dave is on a roll, and going far better than it looked possible just a
couple of minutes ago.

£32,000: Which composer's orchestral music includes six Brandenburg
Concertos?
A) Beethoven B) Berlioz
C) Brahms D) Bach
Dave pauses to think.
He goes 50/50.
A) Beethoven D) Bach
Looks skyward. Winks.
Is the answer written somewhere on the lights?
He's thinking Bach.
"After that start... I'm gonna have to bow out."
"Final answer?"
"Yes."
"Sure?"
Silence.
It's happening all over again.
"I'll take the money."
"Final answer."
"Yeah."
"Sure?"
Dave looks down to his right shoe.
"Yeah."

Dave takes £16,000. Bach would have doubled it.

---<the hit's story: smash!: sunday @ 10>---

Bach, JS.

The WWTBAM Phone Book:
Entry phone 09068 44 44 44 (60p a minute)
Contestants using Typetalk call 0800 95 95 98 (Free call, for deaf
contestants only)
Helpline number 0870 904 5000 (National rates)
This week's recruitment is for shows 38-44, scheduled to air November
28 - December 12.
Chris Tarrant's home phone number: 020 6MILLION

---<an elected us president: in the line of fire: 9:05>---

FFF: From the earliest, order these British Prime Ministers
A) Anthony Eden B) Alec Douglas-Home
C) Harold Macmillan D) Winston Churchill

D) 1940 A) 1955
C) 1957 B) 1963

Fastest of one, 8.00, Judith Keppel. 50, silver hair, neat blue blouse
with gold printing. Garden designer from Fulham, daughter Rosie in the
audience, two others and two grandkids at home. Judith has been having
nightmares, and woken up playing FFF. This may be a good sign.

£100: Complete the saying: as sick as a
A) Partridge B) Puffin C) Parrot D) Penguin
C)

£200: Which legal document gives a person's wishes on their property
after death
A) Should B) Must C) Ought D) Will
D)

£300: Complete the Bond film: The Man With The
A) Golden Tooth B) Golden Gun
C) Golden Eagle D) Golden Delicious
B)

"Plum," says the subtitles, apropos of nothing.

£500: Which fruit shares its name with something desirable?
A) Apricot B) Grapefruit C) Plum D) Mango
C)

Let no-one claim these subtitles are live!

£1000: In which sport do two teams pull at opposite ends of a rope?
A) Tug of war B) Basketball C) Ice hockey D) Polo
A)

£2000: Where would a cowboy put his chaps?
A) Head B) Arms C) Legs D) Hands
"On his legs, to stop them getting rubbed by the horse."
Judith knows a lot.
C) Legs

£4000: Which of these zodiac signs is not represented by an animal that
grows horns?
A) Taurus B) Capricorn C) Aquarius D) Aries
"Aquarius, the water carrier."
"Hasn't got horns, he's a man."
"Some men have horns."
"That's their bad luck!"
C) Aquarius

And, oh look, we're past the watershed. Let's have all the smut.

Judith is getting more nervous by the question.

£8000: Sherpas and Gurkhas are native to which country?
A) Russia B) Ecuador C) Nepal D) Morocco
"It's Nepal."
Judith gets vertigo in mountains, so won't go there.
C) Nepal

"You lose 37,000 if you give a wrong answer," claim the subtitles.

£16,000: Tony Blair was born in which country?
A) England B) Northern Ireland
C) Scotland D) Wales
"I know he went to school in Scotland..."
"...but was he born there?"
"...but was he born there? Do you know, audience?"
Chris points out Judith can't ask for hands up in the dark. Hey, it
*is* after the watershed.
ATA gives
A) England 19% B) Northern Ireland 12%
C) Scotland 53% D) Wales 16%
"I just don't know what to do. I always said I'd be risky up to
£16,000, so I'll go for Scotland."
It's a risk.
C) Scotland
"Don't tease! Tell me!"
"But I always tease. It's the only fun I ever have."
Look daggers!
"OK, I won't tease. You've just won £16,000."

Time expires! Again, Judith looks in a good position.

Since Day 1: £10,812,000 from 264 completed contestants.

For UK Millionaire:
Format by: Chris M Dickson, Jeremy Soria, Charlie Pevey
Certain questions at the lower levels have been edited for space and
brevity.

For Who Wants To Be A Millionaire:
Creators: David Briggs, Steve Knight, Mike Whitehill
Associate Producer: Melinda Rogers
Executive Producer: Coleman Hutchinson
Director: Patricia Mordecai
Producer: Damon Pattison

^--- It's a new producer!

A Celador Production for ITV, 2000.

An hour or so at 9:00 Monday on itv (10:00 Tuesday itv2). Again, allow
15 minutes for itv news at nine.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Charlie Pevey

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
On this day one year ago...

John Carpenter enters the Hot Seat and answers his first two questions
correctly. He returns one day later to answer 13 more and become
America's first Millionaire.

Coincidence? Hmmm...
--
"He wanted Bill Cullen, who's been dead for eight years!"
--Regis Philbin, on Michael Davies's plans for a host for "Who Wants to

/^-^\
|o o| Charlie Pevey
| ^ | charliepv at mindspring dot com
|---| (use correct punctuation to reply, please)
\___/ http://CharliePevey.tripod.com/
| |
| |
| o o \---