JS Millionaire 1/10

Andy P. Jung

Jan 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/10/00

That Aaron Burr question has got to an in joke paying tribute to that old
Got Milk commerical where the radio station calls up this guy to give away
$10,000. He knew the answer but was in the middle of eating something and
had no milk to help him clear his mouth and lost out on $10,000.
http://pages.prodigy.net/apjung/rants/media.htm
(scroll down to the SOME COMMERICALS section)

Andy P. Jung
Metairie, Louisiana USA
Please visit my Home Page!
http://pages.prodigy.net/apjung/
To reply via e-mail, change the "dotnet.com" to ".net".

(original message, if any, is below)

Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria)
<jesoria75RE...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
> Monday, January 10, 2000
>
> For $16,000:
> What former vice president killed Alexander Hamilton in a gun duel?
> He says "Aaron Burr" not "George Clinton" and wins $16,000!

Jonathan Allen

Jan 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/10/00
> A. Summer Sanders
> B. Mia Hamm
> C. Wilma Rudolph
> D. Florence Griffith Joyner
>
> Correct order: C-D-A-B (84-88-92-96, I assume - please correct me if I am
> wrong.)

Rudolph claimed the gold in 1960, not 1984.

Jonathan Allen
ICQ #10231971
Allen Report 2000, with a poll question this week about the big money game
shows--http://members.xoom.com/allenreport

Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria)

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00
WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
Monday, January 10, 2000

Today is Marcus ("Buff") Bagwell's birthday! Who is he? He's a very cute and
very available (Erica who?) wrestler in World Championship Wrestling. And
wouldn't luck have it, Buff is scheduled to be in the area this coming weekend
for a Custom Auto Show, and it's my birthday - where I've already planned to
be out of town the ENTIRE weekend!

But enough grousing from me. The West Coasters have something to chew on while
we discuss what happened PREVIOUSLY ON MILLIONAIRE:

Jim Meyer from Missouri climbs into the Hot Seat and captures $32,000 before
being led astray by his enemy quiz bowl coach, Vicki. I'm sure she won't get a
cut of the money!

Joe Roberts of New Jersey is the second contestant this run, and he burns up
all three LifeLines by the ninth question. He attacks the tenth question...
and locks in $32,000. Three more questions stand in front of him like statues
- but he plows through them... to bump his total up to $250,000. He becomes
the sixth member of the Thirteen Club, winners of $250,000.

David Fite of San Antonio, TX, becomes the third contestant... and he has two
LifeLines left as he begins the second stack of five on his journey to answer
the question...

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?

David loves New York, and there's no place like it. In his Chinese meal last
night, he had a fortune cookie that said "Prosperity is in your future." Could
that be a very prophetic fortune cookie? I guess we'll find out soon.

Let's play. For $2000:
What popular singer is known to her fans as "The Divine Miss M"?
With confidence, he says Bette Midler, and he has $2000.

For $4000:
The '83 film "National Lampoon's Vacation" features the family Griswold on
their way to what fun park?
Confidently answering "Wally World" he wins $4000!

For $8000:
What is the anatomical term for the breastbone?
He sees it... it's "sternum", pointing to his chest.
He's got $8000!

For $16,000:
What former vice president killed Alexander Hamilton in a gun duel?
He says "Aaron Burr" not "George Clinton" and wins $16,000!

We break away and we find out they're rebroadcasting "Andy Kaufman: I'm From
Hollywood" on Comedy Central... and hopefully, this will get you to watch "Man
on the Moon" still in theatres everywhere.

And after that, it's "Muhammad Ali: King of the World" -- ABC tonight, 9/8C.

David isn't married, and he hasn't slept around... in a bed. He sleeps on the
couch, reading books all the while.

He's got a new fence for $1000. ("We could have chipped in and got you a
fenceů We can't tell you how thrilled we are," says Regis.) For $32,000, he's
going to buy a new computer. And if he gets to $64,000, he can buy a new sofa!

Well, David has got nine questions right... and the next one is to lock in
$32,000. And here it is:
What classic arcade game featured ghost characters nicknamed Inky, Blinky, and
Clyde?
His computer games knowledge gives him "Pac-Man" and he locks in THIRTY-TWO
THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $64,000:
How many US states border California?
He says 3 (OR, NV, AZ), sweating it out with 3...
... and he's got SIXTY-FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS!

He's locked in a new sofa! For $125,000:
Which of the following does the "c" represent in the equation "E=mc^2"?
He explains that when first went to college and wanted to be a physicist...
and his nuclear physics knowledge knows that the "c" stands for "speed of
light", his final answer.
(Regis: "It better be after all that!")

Well, he's got ONE HUNDRED TWENTY-FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS!

He's got a fence, a computer, a new sofa, and now a whole new living room! Bob
Barker, eat your heart out! Can he add on maybe a dining room, a kitchen, and
a bedroom to all that? And cat food for his two cats?

We'll find out as we ask David this $250,000 question:
What painter's later works depict the sands and adobes of New Mexico, where
she made her home?
A. Georgia O'Keeffe B. Maya Lin
C. Vanessa Bell D. Mary Cassatt

He's sure, even though he studied science, he's kinda sure that... when he
started boning up on his humanitiesů

He verbally knocks out B, he doesn't know if it's C or A (he doesn't know who
C is), and he doesn't like D. He likes A a lot. Her work is popular in the
southwest - but he doesn't know her history.

He sweats it out for a long time... whether he'd feel confident - but not
certain. He wants to save up his LifeLines. He likes A. He knows if he misses,
the game's over, but if he's right, he's got $250,000 and 2 LifeLines left.

So he sticks with A.

That is his final answer.

It's a $93,000 flyer.

We all hold our breathů..

ů. Andůů

Regis is watching the correct answer light up on his screen.

HE'S GOT IT! TWO HUNDRED FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS!

Now, for $500,000:
Which of the following philosophers taught Alexander the Great when he was a
teenager?
A. Socrates B. Aristotle C. Pythagoras D. Plato
(David corrects Reege on his pronunciation of "Pythagoras"ů "Pith-a-gore-us"ů)

He is mulling it over.

He will knock out two wrong answers to leave:

B. Aristotle D. Plato

He will risk a lot of loot on (B) Aristotle.

And so...

That's his final answer.

<B Aristotle> lights up in orange.

We're all rootin' for ya, David...

And...

Regis sees on his screen...

That the item flashing green on his screen...

Is....

<B Aristotle> AND DAVID HAS FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS!

So, after this break from your local ABC stations, [WVEC Hampton/Norfolk - 13
Means... Means.... damn, what does it mean, anyway?] we have David on the
brink of getting a whole new house and car and cat food and stuff... or just a
new sofa.

This fifteenth and final question is worth ONE MILLION DOLLARS. Only the third
time this has happened in the history of this series in the States.

So... with only his Phone-a-Friend remaining, David Fite is going to be asked
the following question:

In what language was Anne Frank's original diary first published?
A. Dutch B. English C. French D. German

This was one of the few books that David has not read. She was hidden in
Holland, but that's what the people who hid her spoke.

He is not quite sure here at the Million Dollar Question. So, in the words of
the New Age Outlaws, "OH, YOU DIDN'T KNOW? YOU BETTER CALLLLLL
SOME-BODYYYYYY!" So David calls his mother.

Mom states that she was hidden in Hollandů and she says German as time
expires.

Mom didn't sound certain. He's not certain. What is certain is that the game
is over, because he's taking the money.

But what of this guess? Just for kicks, he guesses Frenchů..

ůand it would have been wrong. It was in Dutch.

But David still has a new car, a new house, a new living room, and most
importantly, a new kitchen, as he takes home FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS.

We have had three contestants already, and the take from them has been - get
ready -- $782,000.

FASTEST FINGER FIRST:

Place these athletes in order by the year they won their first Olympic gold
medal, starting with the earliest.

A. Summer Sanders
B. Mia Hamm
C. Wilma Rudolph
D. Florence Griffith Joyner

Correct order: C-D-A-B (84-88-92-96, I assume - please correct me if I am
wrong.)

Winner and time: Dale Masel, 4.32 seconds!

Dale Masel is from Athens, Ohio. And he's a teacher at Ohio University. His
partner Roberto is in the audience. And he spent his New Year's Eve in Las
Vegas listening to Barbra Streisand.

Well, it's time to start that climb again. For $100:
Which of the following building materials was used by the Three Little Pigs.
Straw gets him $100.

For $200:
What ancient Greek word translates to mean "I have found it"?
Eureka gets him $200.

For $300:
If you follow the song's directions,what will you do at the end of "Ring
around the Rosie"?
"Fall down" wins $300.

for $500:
What famous nickname was given to British soldiers during the American
Revolution?
"Redcoats" wins $500.

For a guaranteed $1000:
How long does it take the Earth to make one full orbit around the sun?
He says "one year" for $1000.

For $2000:
According to the Book of Revelations, what is the number of the beast?
He says "666" not "777" for $2000.

For $4000:
For what crime was gangster Al Capone was sentenced to 11 years in prison?
He says "tax evasion" for $4000.

For $8000:
What famous baseball player did Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel include in their
song "Mrs. Robinson"?
He says Joe DiMaggio and wins $8000!

For $16,000:
What is the capital of Australia?
A. Canberra B. Sydney C. Melbourne D. Perth

Gasp. We might catch him with this question.

He Asks the Audience: 16-47-35-2

Silence.

He goes with the audience.

Sydney is his final answer.

Now...

What is that sound I'm hearing?

It's the sound of...

... Dale choking.

The correct answer is (A) Canberra.

So, he leaves us with $1000.

FASTEST FINGER FIRST:

Place these movies in order of when the war they depict occurred, starting
with the earliest.

A. Apocalypse Now
B. Gettysburg
C. Three Kings
D. The Thin Red Line

Correct answer: B-D-A-C (US Civil War - WWII - Vietnam - Gulf War)
Winner/Time: Jeff Wilkie in 7.02 seconds!

Jeff Wilkie is from Anaheim, California. He's a machinist, and he can't
believe he's in the Hot Seat. His friend Aaron has been competing for this
spot - but Jeff got there first. He'll buy Aaron some hair if he wins the
million.

For $100:
In "Arabian Nights," what password did Ali Baba use to enter the magic cave?
"Open Sesame" not "clap on clap off" wins $100.

For $200:
In most US cities, what three-digit number is designated for emergencies?
"911" wins $200.

For $300:
Which fo the following is NOT a member of the legendary Kennedy Family?
He says "Courtney Love", the obvious one, for $300.

For $500:
What spokesperson implored "please don't squeeze the Charmin!"?
He remembers Mr. Whipple and wins $500.

For $1000:
"If youlike dogs and "vice versa", which of the following is definitely true?
A. You don't like dogs
B. Dogs like you
C. Dogs Don't like you
D. You like cats

He chooses B...

...and wins $1000!

For $2000:
What is the subject of the '79 film The China Syndrome?
A. Viral Epidemic
B. Political Kidnapping
C. Nuclear Power Plant Accident
D. Military Spying

Well, since he didn't know, he better call somebody, like his Phone-a-Friend
Dennis. He gives him 100% confidence that it's C.

So he goes with his friend.

And he helped him out! He's got $2000.

**AH-WHOOOOO!**

I haven't felt this much excitement on a Monday night since I was at the live
Raw TV Tapings in Hampton back in April 1998! And Raw is War hasn't even
started to air yet tonight!

Anyway, would you like to try for the million? Then call 1-800-433-8321 ...
and try your luck! You get one shot at it, so make it count! Full rules are at
abc.go.com.

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE? was created by David Briggs with Michael
Whitehill and Steve Knight for Celador Productions, and is produced in the
United States by Valleycrest Productions for Buena Vista Television.
MILLIONAIRE?: Copyright 2000
Valleycrest Productions and Buena Vista Television.
This Update is Copyright 2000 Jeremy Soria.
All Rights Reserved.

All game material contained herein remains the property of Valleycrest and
BVTV. Opinions expressed in this update are solely those of the compiler.

ATGS' own Jason Block is taping his show tonight as I type this. Will he be in
the Hot Seat? Tune in tomorrow! From Virginia Beach - Good night everybody!

- Jeremy "Leave the light on. I'm coming home." - Mankind

--
jesoria75 (at) | "You treat me like a dog and you expect me | AUSTIN
mindspring (dot) com | to smile? You remind me of a JACKASS~!" - SCSA | 3:16

Andre, Kerry, Eddie, Flyin' Brian, Gorilla Monsoon, Owen Hart ... Sigh ...

Message has been deleted

James Allen

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00
>That Aaron Burr question has got to an in joke paying tribute to that old
>Got Milk commerical where the radio station calls up this guy to give away
>$10,000. He knew the answer but was in the middle of eating something and
>had no milk to help him clear his mouth and lost out on $10,000.
>
>Andy P. Jung

Ha ha! The reason I immediately knew the answer was because of the "Got Milk"
commercial. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the question writers also had it
in mind.

Paul Duca

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00

"Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria)" wrote:FASTEST FINGER FIRST:

> Place these athletes in order by the year they won their first Olympic gold
> medal, starting with the earliest.
>
> A. Summer Sanders
> B. Mia Hamm
> C. Wilma Rudolph
> D. Florence Griffith Joyner
>
> Correct order: C-D-A-B (84-88-92-96, I assume - please correct me if I am
> wrong.)

Wilma Rudolph won her gold in Rome, 1960.

And thanks for the full update...I worked tonight and I HAD to tape "Freaks &
Geeks"

Paul Duca

To...@fred.net

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00
On 11 Jan 2000 05:22:17 GMT, on a very special episode of "Disney's 'The Sopranos'", James Allen responded :
:>That Aaron Burr question has got to an in joke paying tribute to that old

Too bad he didn't make a peanut Butter Sandwich and Milk quip. >:)

But I'll say that range of questions were a lot harder than John
Carpenter's run...

--
To...@Fred.Net http://www.fred.net/tomr
* "Faith Manages...... But Willow is in Tech Support"

Mary Kay Bergman 1961-1999

Zach Horan

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00
>Ha ha! The reason I immediately knew the answer was because of the "Got Milk"
>commercial. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the question writers also had
>it
>in mind.

That Aaron Burr question is a $200 level J! question, at most. I knew that long
before the Got Milk commercial featuring that radio contest question, which
hasn't been that many years ago(early 90s)

Zach Horan

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00
>But I'll say that range of questions were a lot harder than John
>Carpenter's run...

A lot of them were easy. The first somewhat hard one was the $500K Question
about Alexander the Great and Aristotle.

wrest...@my-deja.com

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00
In article <387b9922...@news.mindspring.com>,
jeso...@mindspring.com wrote:

We had that question last night on the pub quiz as well. I wonder if
Peter Malone [our quizmaster] was watching the show...

> We break away and we find out they're rebroadcasting "Andy Kaufman:
I'm From
> Hollywood" on Comedy Central... and hopefully, this will get you to
watch "Man
> on the Moon" still in theatres everywhere.

One must say this: For all that that whole Kaufman-Lawler situation
was, the guy [Kaufman] was a master at getting heat. Most wrestlers
today would kill for the heat he got in that feud. But we digress.

> He's got a new fence for $1000. ("We could have chipped in and got
you a
> fenceů We can't tell you how thrilled we are," says Regis.) For
$32,000, he's
> going to buy a new computer. And if he gets to $64,000, he can buy a
new sofa!

Wow -- he must be thinking that the tax bite on that is going to be
immense.

> Well, David has got nine questions right... and the next one is to
lock in
> $32,000. And here it is:
> What classic arcade game featured ghost characters nicknamed Inky,
Blinky, and
> Clyde?
> His computer games knowledge gives him "Pac-Man" and he locks in
THIRTY-TWO
> THOUSAND DOLLARS!

YES SIR!!!

One comment: I thought they were going to toughen the questions a bit
this series. It's not evident here, yet.

> For $64,000:
> How many US states border California?
> He says 3 (OR, NV, AZ), sweating it out with 3...
> ... and he's got SIXTY-FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS!

We've had that question before on a pub quiz too. Not a bad question,
at a lower level, but for 64K??

> He's locked in a new sofa! For $125,000:
> Which of the following does the "c" represent in the
equation "E=mc^2"?
> He explains that when first went to college and wanted to be a
physicist...
> and his nuclear physics knowledge knows that the "c" stands
for "speed of
> light", his final answer.
> (Regis: "It better be after all that!")

It is... E is energy, and m is the amount of matter, and c is the
constant that Einstein came up with...

> Well, he's got ONE HUNDRED TWENTY-FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS!

... the speed of light.

> He's got a fence, a computer, a new sofa, and now a whole new living
room! Bob
> Barker, eat your heart out! Can he add on maybe a dining room, a
kitchen, and
> a bedroom to all that? And cat food for his two cats?

Now let's take a look at something -- he has two lifelines left, and he
had used the first one on the very first question [the duck-goose
one]... Is this prophetic about people who use their lifelines on
question 1? Are you listening Robby Roseman? :)

> We'll find out as we ask David this $250,000 question:
> What painter's later works depict the sands and adobes of New Mexico,
where
> she made her home?
> A. Georgia O'Keeffe B. Maya Lin
> C. Vanessa Bell D. Mary Cassatt

AIEEE!! HELP!!!!!

> He's sure, even though he studied science, he's kinda sure that...
when he
> started boning up on his humanitiesů
>
> He verbally knocks out B, he doesn't know if it's C or A (he doesn't
know who
> C is), and he doesn't like D. He likes A a lot. Her work is popular
in the
> southwest - but he doesn't know her history.
>
> He sweats it out for a long time... whether he'd feel confident - but
not
> certain. He wants to save up his LifeLines. He likes A. He knows if
he misses,
> the game's over, but if he's right, he's got $250,000 and 2 LifeLines
left.

> So he sticks with A.
>
> That is his final answer.

Well, it ate some of the message -- he got that one, and the next one...

So he's got $250K now ...

Make that $500K on the Aristotle one [probably would've gotten that one
after the 50-50].

So, for the third time in the series, we have a one million dollar
question, and he has the phone-a-friend to save him if he needs it...

So, for one million dollars....

I did not see the show, and only just saw the question -- my guess
would be Dutch -- not certain enough to risk all that money, but I do
remember she was from the Netherlands...

And it would've been correct... But what a third contestant...

$782000 in only 3 contestants... This is getting nuts...

$500K Saturday night, $360K Sunday night, and $782K these two nights...

In just about 2 hours and 30 minutes of television, they've given away
over $1.6 million, including 2 half-million dollar prizes and a quarter-
million dollar one... This is what they wanted when they put it on the
table.

*yawn* Wake me when he gets something interesting. I mean, Good God,
the questions on the phone-in would be million dollar questions if they
used this kind of levelling...

> For $8000:
> What famous baseball player did Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel include
in their
> song "Mrs. Robinson"?
> He says Joe DiMaggio and wins $8000!
>
> For $16,000:
> What is the capital of Australia?
> A. Canberra B. Sydney C. Melbourne D. Perth
>
> Gasp. We might catch him with this question.

We might... Yes.... (It's A!)

> He Asks the Audience: 16-47-35-2

AIEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh did the audience screw up on this one...

> Silence.
>
> He goes with the audience.
>
> Sydney is his final answer.
>
> Now...
>
> What is that sound I'm hearing?

A vacuum cleaner taking most of the guy's money.

> It's the sound of...

> ... Dale choking.

I like the idea of mine a little better, Jeremy, but yes I can see that
too.

> The correct answer is (A) Canberra.

Yep.

> So, he leaves us with $1000.
>
> FASTEST FINGER FIRST:
>
> Place these movies in order of when the war they depict occurred,
starting
> with the earliest.
>
> A. Apocalypse Now
> B. Gettysburg
> C. Three Kings
> D. The Thin Red Line

I HATE MOVIE TRIVIA!! Every damn time I call in it's either authors,
movies, or history or geography. BLEH!

Wait... For $1K???? If you're going to make people run around the
mulberry bush for a question like this...

(Answer's B, right??)

> He chooses B...
>
> ...and wins $1000!
>
> For $2000:
> What is the subject of the '79 film The China Syndrome?
> A. Viral Epidemic
> B. Political Kidnapping
> C. Nuclear Power Plant Accident
> D. Military Spying
>
> Well, since he didn't know, he better call somebody, like his Phone-a-
Friend
> Dennis. He gives him 100% confidence that it's C.
>
> So he goes with his friend.
>
> And he helped him out! He's got $2000.
>
> **AH-WHOOOOO!**
>
> I haven't felt this much excitement on a Monday night since I was at
the live
> Raw TV Tapings in Hampton back in April 1998! And Raw is War hasn't
even
> started to air yet tonight!

That was a hot night...

WF

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

wrest...@my-deja.com

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00
In article <20000111101814...@ng-fd1.aol.com>,

Agreed -- another easy stack. Could've well won the million on that
myself with a judicious Phone a Friend on the painting one and the 50-
50 on the 500K...

js

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00

wrest...@my-deja.com wrote in message <85fm6t$afe$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

>In article <20000111101814...@ng-fd1.aol.com>,
> zach...@aol.com (Zach Horan) wrote:
>> >But I'll say that range of questions were a lot harder than John
>> >Carpenter's run...
>>
>> A lot of them were easy. The first somewhat hard one was the $500K
>Question
>> about Alexander the Great and Aristotle.
>
>Agreed -- another easy stack. Could've well won the million on that
>myself with a judicious Phone a Friend on the painting one and the 50-
>50 on the 500K...

What do you think would have been the choices on the Anne Frank question
with a 50/50

mattma...@my-deja.com

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
It assuredly would have been English and Dutch. Frankly, I thought it
was a pretty darn easy stack. For an art history question (admittedly,
of lesser dollar value than mine) the Georgia O'Keefe one was easy. I
woulda used all three lifelines on the last one, and probably woulda
gotten it. Ah, well.

SKY C

Jan 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/15/00
"Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria)" wrote:

> WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
> Monday, January 10, 2000
>

> Dale Masel is from Athens, Ohio. And he's a teacher at Ohio University. His
> partner Roberto is in the audience. And he spent his New Year's Eve in Las
> Vegas listening to Barbra Streisand.

I wonder whether Celine Dion performed a song with Barbra that night.

> For $16,000:
> What is the capital of Australia?
> A. Canberra B. Sydney C. Melbourne D. Perth
>
> Gasp. We might catch him with this question.
>
> He Asks the Audience: 16-47-35-2
>
> Silence.
>
> He goes with the audience.
>
> Sydney is his final answer.
>
> Now...
>
> What is that sound I'm hearing?
>
> It's the sound of...

> ... Dale choking.
>
> The correct answer is (A) Canberra.
>
> So, he leaves us with $1000.

Hey, a lot of people might have got that wrong. I guess because Sydney host the
Olympics this year, they might probably assume that this is right.

Francis Chu
Sydney, Australia
sf...@tig.com.au