BAP Millionaire 8/25

Brett A. Pasternack

Aug 31, 2001, 10:53:29 PM8/31/01
Well, John Sergent said he messed up his tape of this, so I've finally
taken the plunge of putting aside my pop-up hat and giving it a go as a
recapper. Any chance you might want to do the pop-ups, John? If not, I
hope Dean or someone will, but I don't think I'll pop myself up. Anyway,
this was kind of fun, and not too bad timewise although I still wish I
had a keyboard and a TV in the same room.

Delayed slightly by the postgame show for the Little League World
Series, but shown in its entirety nonetheless, here's our show!

No opening, as Christopher Young of Wretham, Mass is in the hot seat,
having used only his ATA lifeline.

$16,000: What dessert is often prepared with a small blowtorch?

A. Teramisu B. Creme Brulee
C. Cobbler D. Mousse

He'll call Todd, a fellow editor. Todd says B.

Christopher says B.

So does Regis' little screen!

$32,000: Which of the following Central American countries does not have
a coastline on the Pacific Ocean?

A. Guatemala B. El Salvador
C. Nicaragua D. Belize

The 50/50 is used, and takes away A and B.

He studied maps last night to prepare, but it doesn't seem that he paid
a lot of attention...

But he believes it's Belize...

And it is!

$64,000 and no lifelines: "Penholder" and "shakehands" are the two most
common grip styles in what sport?

A. Ping Pong B. Golf
C. Badminton D. Fencing

He fairly quickly decides on A...

Right!

After an ad break, $125,000: Viewers never learned the first name of
which of these TV crimestoppers?

A. Matlock B. Columbo
C. Banacek D. Mannix

He thinks he knows, but not enough to risk it.

Regis, oddly, fails to ask what his guess was, so we don't know if he
knew it was Columbo.

We meet the ten:

Kathleen Probe, Doylestown PA
Elaine Chun, Dublin OH
Fred Lindsay, Clinton MS
Adam Cole, Myrtly Point OR
Kelli Anderson, The Bronx NY (How come people from Manhattan are listed
as "New York City", but she's not?)
Joslyn Marksbury, Colleyville TX
Douglas Collum, Venice CA
Matt Miley, Snowflake AZ
Dee Phillips, Miami FL

Oops, that's only nine, but that's all there is.

FF1: Put these songs in order by the number in the title, starting with
the highest:

A. At Seventeen B. 96 Tears
C. 1999 D. Nothing Compares 2 U

Obviously that's CBAD. Hmmm, two songs written by Prince. They should
have added "I Would Die 4 U" and "7" and at least shown some signs of
putting effort and/or creativity into the question. (It still would be
ridiculously easy, but you can't have everything, where would you put
it?)

The winner is Kelli Anderson, a cute second-year high school teacher
from the Bronx. Rumor has it she's two years older than she claimed to
the producers.

$100: According to a common expression, which of these "speak louder
than words"?

A. Circumstances B. Facts
C. Actions D. Yelling

She's nervous, but she comes up with C.

$200: Which of the following is a slang term for a scapegoat?

A. Spring chicken B. Fall guy
C. Loose cannon D. Little brother

B.

$300: By definition, an underwriter promises which kind of support?

A. Military B. Emotional
C. Financial D. All Day

C.

$500: In a traditional game of Spin The Bottle, what happens to a player
when the bottle points at him?

A. Gets a kiss B. Tells a secret
C. Wins a dollar D. Hides in a corner

A.

$1000: What are the fibers that form tufts on ears of corn called?

A. Chintz B. Lace
C. Silk D. Satin

C.

$2000: Chum is usually used to attract which of these animals?

A. Lion B. Shark
C. Dog D. Vulture

B. She doesn't seem as nervous as she did at the beginning.

$4000: Which of the following words is commonly used to describe a
particular length of pearl necklace? (So tempting to take this re-cap
out of the realm of TV-G here!)

A. Rodeo B. Tennis
C. Picnic D. Opera

She uses her first lifeline: ATA

They go a pretty convincing 8-18-2-72. So she'll follow their lead and
take opera...

...and the fat lady...

...hasn't sung for her yet!

Ad break, and we meet her sister Jamie in the relationship seat, who
isn't quite as cute. Kelli dreams of joining the cast of Sesame Street.
She loves working with little kids. I'm liking her more and more.

$8000: Guitarist Angus Young of the rock group AC/DC is known for
performing while dressed as a what?

A. Policeman B. Schoolboy
C. Doctor D. Wizard

No hesitation at all. B.

$16,000: Which of these colonial American leaders was once jailed in the
Tower of London for his religious beliefs?

A. Samuel Adams B. Roger Williams
C. William Penn D. Patrick Henry

Her school visited the Tower, but she didn't pay enough attention on the
tour. 50/50 takes away A and D, which is exactly what I expected, but
it's enough to shake something loose, and she goes for C.

And she's correct.

$32,000: The title of restaurant critic Ruth Reichl's 2001 book is
"Comfort Me With" what?

A. Cake B. Pasta
C. Apples D. Bread

She doesn't know..never mind that Reichl is best known for writing for
the New York Times, so you'd think she'd have some kind of home field
advantage. She does, however, like the alliteration of "Comfort Me With
Cake".

She'll phone Brian, her "cousin-in-law", a music teacher.

He thinks it's pasta.

She still thinks it's cake.

I'm thinking it's bread.

She seems like she's going to walk, but she really wants to say cake.

She decides to go for it, with cake.

Brian was wrong.

I was wrong. (So much for my local advantage crack, I read the Times and
I didn't know it!)
.
.
.
.
.
So was Kelli. Reichl wants to be comforted with apples.

FF2: Put these movies in order by the time period they depict, starting
with the earliest:

A. Almost Famous B. The Endless Patient
C. Gladiator D. Amadeus

Hey, this question sounds familiar...let's pull out one of my pop-ups of
one of Vic's recaps:

> "Put these 2000 movies in order by the time periods in which they
> are set, starting with the earliest"
>
> A) The Patriot
> B) The Perfect Storm
> C) Gladiator
> D) Almost Famous

. o O ( Peter Frampton was an advisor to "Almost Famous", and appeared
briefly in it, as the manager of his real-life band, Humble Pie. )
. o O ( His most visible movie appearance was as part of "Sgt. Pepper's
Lonely Hearts Club Band".... )
. o O ( ...with the Bee Gees. )

> CADB is right.

. o O ( 180; 1776; 1973; 1991 )

That was from February 9 of this year. Same basic question with two of
the same movies. Sloppy.

This time, CDBA is the order. Doug from Venice, a director of
commercials and music videos who once tried to become a stuntman, is
your winner. In the relationship is his EX-girlfriend, Theresa.

$100: Disposible chopsticks are typically made of which of the
following?

A. Stone B. Metal
C. Wood D. Cubic Zirconia

C.

$200: Which of these household objects would most likely have an
amplifier?

A. Blender B. Stereo
C. Lawn mower D. Cat

B.

$300: A person who is not making any progress is said to be "going
around in" what?

A. Squares B. Circles
C. Triangles D. Graduate School

B.

$500: A dehumidifier is designed to remove what from the air?

A. Moisture B. Smoke
C. Bugs D. Odor

A.

$1000: Which of these animals has tusks?

A. Hippopotumus B. Seal
C. Warthog D. Tiger

Not the answer choices you were expecting, eh? Him either, but after a
moment he realizes it's C, and he completes the first five sweep as we
head to a break.

He's the first person ever to bring an ex-girlfriend into the
relationship seat. She implies they may get back together at some point.
Regis hopes this show will bring them back together.

$2000: What citrus fruit is also known as a mandarin orange?

A. Lemon B. Lime
C. Tangerine D. Grapefruit

C. I didn't know that...and I have to admit, I probably would never have
tried "Tangerine Slice" soda.

$4000: What TV show's ratings dropped sharply in 1999 when its lead
character got a drastic haircut?

A. Dharma and Greg B. Felicity
C. Buffy The Vampire Slayer D. Ally McBeal E. Kojak

He'll "consult" the audience. They go 2-67-15-16.

He thinks for a while, since he doesn't watch the shows, and says that
if he's wrong he hopes they'll find a category under which he'd get an
invitation back, and finally makes B his final answer.

and it's correct.

$8000: The word "astronaut" is dervied from the Greek words for "star"
and what?

A. Travel B. Explore
C. Sailor D. Discover

He's agonizing again. Guessing, he says, is not part of his program. But
he doesn't want to use his PAF either. After what seems like forever, he
asks for the 50/50, which leaves B and C.

Doug keeps discussing his feelings about his various options (without
saying word one about why each answer might or might not be right),
until Regis says he feels like he's Doug's therapist. Doug shoots back,
"I'm sure you've been to many". Ow! Regis says he's never been to one,
and Doug backtracks, insisting he meant that Regis has been a therapist
to many. Sure, whatever. Regis now understands why Theresa isn't with
Doug anymore.

Doug says C, and thanks the show for a great time.

He needn't have, as he had the right answer. (If he'd said the word
"nautical" in there somewhere, he'd probably have been sure.)

Ad break, and Regis tells us how adventurous Doug was in his life, until
he arrived in the hot seat.

$16000: What classic rock song asks, "Scaramouche, scaramouche, will you
do the fandango?"

A. Dancing Queen B. Bohemian Rhapsody
C. Stairway To Heaven D. Dream On

Um, "Dancing Queen" a classic rock song? Better not try to play it on a
classic rock radio station!

Anyway, for once Doug doesn't feel like discussing his program. B,
final, correct.

$32000: The World War I invasion of Gallipolli took place in what
country?

A. Australia B. Turkey
C. Germany D. New Zealand

He thinks he knows, but he wants to use his PAF now, because he believes
the questions get easier after you have the $32K secure. Whatever, dude!
He insists his friend, also named Doug, is a genius.

This Doug immediately says Turkey.

Our Doug thought it was something else, but he'll make Turkey his final
answer.

The right answer!

$64000 and no lifelines: What is the term for a large basin-shaped
crater formed by a collapsed volcano?

A. Caldera B. Esker
C. Moraine D. Pogonip

Does he still think the later questions are easier? Doesn't seem so, and
he notes forlornly that he had a good geography PAF.

He'll go with A. He feels good about it.
.
.
.
.
.
He should feel good about it...he's right!

$125,000: Which of these Stephen King novels does not take place in the
fictional town of Castle Rock?

A. Cujo B. Needful Things
C. The Dead Zone D. Pet Sematary

He's still bucking for an invitation back...but he won't risk his money.
His guess would be A.

Correct answer was D. And we'll take a break.

FF3: Put these TV series in order by the number in their titles,
starting with the highest.

A. Party Of Five B. 227
C. Car 54, Where Are You? D. Three's Company

BCAD gets emergency room nurse Dee Phillips of Miami into the hot seat.

$100: A tough and unrelenting person is said to be "as tough as" what?

A. Pencils B. Nails
C. Candy D. Calculus E. That last fastest finger question

B.

$200: When a movie storyline gets more complicated, it is said that "the
plot" does what?

A. Thins B. Mutates
C. Thickens D. Self-destructs

C.

$300: A football player punts the ball by doing what to it?

A. Catching B. Kicking
C. Throwing D. Deepfrying

B.

$500: Which of the following vehicles might commonly be
"glass-bottomed"?

A. Train B. Plane
C. Boat D. Bus

C.

$1000: Which of these TV series consists mainly of impovisational
comedy?

A. Drew Carey Show B. Malcolm In The Middle
C. Will and Grace D. Whose Line Is It Anyway

And Dee gets to say her own name as the correct answer.

AH-WOOOO!!

Regis reminds us to watch The Practice, and then the voiceover plugs The
Wayne Brady Show, featuring one of the stars of that last correct answer
there. Hmmmmmmmmm.....

Samer Ismail

Sep 1, 2001, 1:02:50 PM9/1/01

> $32,000: The title of restaurant critic Ruth Reichl's 2001 book is
> "Comfort Me With" what?
>
> A. Cake B. Pasta
> C. Apples D. Bread
>

> She'll phone Brian, her "cousin-in-law", a music teacher.
> He thinks it's pasta. She still thinks it's cake. I'm thinking it's bread.
> She seems like she's going to walk, but she really wants to say cake.
> She decides to go for it, with cake.
> Brian was wrong.
> I was wrong. (So much for my local advantage crack, I read the Times and
> I didn't know it!)

> So was Kelli. Reichl wants to be comforted with apples.

Personally, I don't know if this was at the right level or not: I would have
known it, though, because I have heard the quote from the Bible on which it is
based.

"Stay me with flagons, *comfort me with apples,* for I am sick of love."
--Song of Solomon 2.3

--STI

John Sergent

Sep 1, 2001, 1:13:11 PM9/1/01
Thanks! I couldn't do good pop-ups; they take skill!

John Isles, iv

Sep 3, 2001, 4:54:14 AM9/3/01
Since I'm gonna start doing more of these (and hopefully finishing those
that need it before too long), I have decided to ditch "remarks" and rename
the posts "QXZ Pop-up Millionaire".

New name. Same B-grade quality.
-----
Brett Alan Pasternack writes:

>Well, John Sergent said he messed up his tape of this, so I've finally taken
>the plunge of putting aside my pop-up hat and giving it a go as a recapper.
>Any chance you might want to do the pop-ups, John?

.oO(With pleasure!)

>If not, I hope Dean or someone will, but I don't think I'll pop myself up.
>Anyway, this was kind of fun, and not too bad timewise although I still wish I
>had a keyboard and a TV in the same room.

.oO(But I have a handful more to complete after I am done with this one.)
-----

>Delayed slightly by the postgame show for the Little League World Series, but
>shown in its entirety nonetheless, here's our show!

.oO(And, thanks to the Dominican republic, the Rolando Paulino All Stars
have been given the big DQ.)
.oO(Not a Dairy Queen, mind you.)
.oO(Including all wins...)
.oO(...Their bronze-level effort...)
.oO(...And Danny Almonte's perfect game.)
.oO(Which means "don't mess with the U.S.!")
-----
>No opening, as Christopher Young of Wretham, Mass, is in the hot seat, having

>used only his ATA lifeline.

.oO(Leaving the two most vital intact.)

>$16,000: What dessert is often prepared with a small blowtorch?

>A. Teramisu B. Creme Brulee
>C. Cobbler D. Mousse

>He'll call Todd, a fellow editor. Todd says B. Christopher says B. So does
>Regis' little screen!

.oO(Crème Brûlée: Burnt Cream.)

.oO(Teramisu has lady fingers as ingredient...)
.oO(...And is Hannibal Lecter's favorite dessert.)
.oO("Hello, Clarice. You look good enough to eat....")
-----

>$32,000: Which of the following Central American countries does not have a
>coastline on the Pacific Ocean?

>A. Guatemala B. El Salvador
>C. Nicaragua D. Belize

>The 50/50 is used, and takes away A and B.

>He studied maps last night to prepare, but it doesn't seem that he paid a lot
>of attention... But he believes it's Belize... And it is!

.oO(No, he Belize it's Belize.)
.oO(And Belize is on the Atlantic coast.)
-----

>$64,000 and no lifelines: "Penholder" and "shakehands" are the two most common
>grip styles in what sport?

>A. Ping Pong B. Golf
>C. Badminton D. Fencing

>He fairly quickly decides on A... Right!

.oO(AKA table tennis.)
-----
AD BREAK

The only reason the man and the ram were butting heads wasn't a fight for a
can of Mountain Dew. It's that the ram wanted the same thing the man
wanted-- to make love to a sheep.
-----

>After an ad break, $125,000: Viewers never learned the first name of which of
>these TV crimestoppers?

>A. Matlock B. Columbo
>C. Banacek D. Mannix

.oO(A. Andy Griffith; Ben.)

.oO(B. Peter Falk; Ranked Inspector and Lieutenant; No first name given.)
.oO(/Family Matters/ had a character named Lieutenant Murtaugh-- Lieutenant
was his lega first name.)

.oO(C. George /A-Team/ Peppard; Thomas.)

.oO(D. Mike Connors; Joe Mannix.)

>He thinks he knows, but not enough to risk it. Regis, oddly, fails to ask what
>his guess was, so we don't know if he knew it was Columbo.

.oO(Or if Anne Robinson would have entered the room.)
-----
>We meet the ten:

>€Kathleen Probe, Doylestown PA
>€Elaine Chun, Dublin OH
>€Fred Lindsay, Clinton MS
>€Adam Cole, Myrtly Point OR
>€Kelli Anderson, The Bronx NY (How come people from Manhattan are listed as
>"New York City", but she's not?)

.oO(Because a buying land for $24 shouldn't qualify Manhattan as a city.)

>€Joslyn Marksbury, Colleyville TX

>€Douglas Collum, Venice CA
>€Matt Miley, Snowflake AZ
>€Dee Phillips, Miami FL

>Oops, that's only nine, but that's all there is.

>FF1: Put these songs in order by the number in the title, starting with the
>highest:

>A. "At Seventeen" B. "96 Tears"
>C. "1999" D. "Nothing Compares 2 U"

.oO(Janis Ian; Prince; Prince; Sinead O'Connor.)
.oO(I cheated: I looked below.)

>Obviously that's CBAD. Hmmm, two songs written by Prince. They should have
>added "I Would Die 4 U" and "7" and at least shown some signs of putting effort
>and/or creativity into the question. (It still would be ridiculously easy, but
>you can't have everything, where would you put it?)

>The winner is Kelli Anderson, a cute second-year high school teacher from the
>Bronx. Rumor has it she's two years older than she claimed to the producers.

.oO(Just the opposite of the recent Little League scandal.)
-----

>$100: According to a common expression, which of these "speak louder than
>words"?

.oO(Guns was another possible answer.)

>A. Circumstances B. Facts
>C. Actions D. Yelling

>She's nervous, but she comes up with C.

.oO(Verbs.)
-----

>$200: Which of the following is a slang term for a scapegoat?

.oO(Video games. Especially the more violent ones.)

>A. Spring chicken B. Fall guy
>C. Loose cannon D. Little brother

>B.

.oO(TV series starring Lee Majors.)
-----

>$300: By definition, an underwriter promises which kind of support?

>A. Military B. Emotional
>C. Financial D. All Day

>C.

.oO(Like those UL tags you see on the electrical appliances.)
-----

>$500: In a traditional game of Spin The Bottle, what happens to a player when
>the bottle points at him?

>A. Gets a kiss B. Tells a secret
>C. Wins a dollar D. Hides in a corner

>A.

.oO(.)
-----
>$1,000: What are the fibers that form tufts on ears of corn called?

>A. Chintz B. Lace
>C. Silk D. Satin

>C.

.oO(The outer shell is a husk.)
-----
>$2,000: Chum is usually used to attract which of these animals?

.oO(Chum is usually made of fish guts.)
.oO(Hannibal would easily make chum out of his used-to-be chums....)

>A. Lion B. Shark
>C. Dog D. Vulture

>B. She doesn't seem as nervous as she did at the beginning.

.oO(Must've seen /Jaws/ ahead of time.)
-----
>$4,000: Which of the following words is commonly used to describe a particular

>length of pearl necklace? (So tempting to take this re-cap out of the realm of
>TV-G here!)

>A. Rodeo B. Tennis
>C. Picnic D. Opera

>She uses her first lifeline: ATA. They go a pretty convincing 8-18-2-72. So
>she'll follow their lead and take opera... and the fat lady... hasn't sung for
>her yet!

.oO(If going to a stage production of /Grease/...)
.oO(It's over when Rizzo sings.)
.oO(That fat lady...)
.oO(IS ROSIE O'DONNELL!!!)
-----

>Ad break, and we meet her sister Jamie in the relationship seat, who isn't
>quite as cute. Kelli dreams of joining the cast of Sesame Street. She loves
>working with little kids. I'm liking her more and more.

/Sesame Street/ has been brought to you by the letter E (as in Elmo) and Q
(for quality, which has severely been damaged by Elmo's presence). And the
number zero (as in the number of NORMAL people who can actually tolerate
Elmo).
-----
>$8,000: Guitarist Angus Young of the rock group AC/DC is known for performing

>while dressed as a what?

>A. Policeman B. Schoolboy
>C. Doctor D. Wizard

>No hesitation at all. B.

.oO(The policeman is a member of the Village People.)
.oO(And doesn't play guitar.)
.oO(Just a guess, but he must like getting handcuffed by the mariner.)

.oO(The Seattle Mariners are handcuffing the American League.)
.oO(Record after 2001.9.2: 98-39 [.715].)
-----

>$16,000: Which of these colonial American leaders was once jailed in the Tower
>of London for his religious beliefs?

>A. Samuel Adams B. Roger Williams
>C. William Penn D. Patrick Henry

>Her school visited the Tower, but she didn't pay enough attention on the tour.
>50/50 takes away A and D, which is exactly what I expected, but it's enough to
>shake something loose, and she goes for C. And she's correct.

.oO(Quaker.)
.oO(He is on the Quaker Oats box.)

.oO(Sam Adams was a drunkard.)
.oO(There is a beer named after him. Possible coicidence?)

.oO(Patrick Henry wanted liberty or wanted to die without it.)
.oO(Despite Henry's liberty, he died anyway.)
-----

>$32,000: The title of restaurant critic Ruth Reichl's 2001 book is "Comfort Me
>With" what?

>A. Cake B. Pasta
>C. Apples D. Bread

.oO(Pasta is credited to the Italians.)
.oO(Pasta is actually Chinese in origin.)

>She doesn't know... never mind that Reichl is best known for writing for the
>/New York Times/, so you'd think she'd have some kind of home field advantage.
>She does, however, like the alliteration of /Comfort Me With Cake/.

>She'll phone Brian, her "cousin-in-law", a music teacher. He thinks it's
>pasta. She still thinks it's cake. I'm thinking it's bread. She seems like
>she's going to walk, but she really wants to say cake. She decides to go for
>it, with cake.

>Brian was wrong. I was wrong. (So much for my local advantage crack, I read
>the Times and I didn't know it!)

>So was Kelli. Reichl wants to be comforted with apples.

.oO(That's because Macs are so user-friendly.)
.oO(UP YOURS, PC MAKERS!)

.oO(Marie Antoinette said "Let them eat cake.")
.oO(And lost her head for it.)
.oO(All Kelli did was lose a game.)
.oO(And $15,000; $31,000 if you count this question.)
.oO($999,000 of the highest possible score.)
.oO(Looks like she's only gonna be comforted with $1,000 worth of bread.)
-----

>FF2: Put these movies in order by the time period they depict, starting with
>the earliest:

>A. /Almost Famous/ B. /The Endless Patient/
>C. /Gladiator/ D. /Amadeus/

>Hey, this question sounds familiar... let's pull out one of my pop-ups of one
>of Vic's recaps:

>>"Put these 2000 movies in order by the time periods in which they are set,
>>starting with the earliest"

>>A) /The Patriot/ B) /The Perfect Storm/
>>C) /Gladiator/ D) /Almost Famous/

>. o O ( Peter Frampton was an advisor to /Almost Famous/, and appeared briefly

>in it, as the manager of his real-life band, Humble Pie. )

>. o O ( His most visible movie appearance was as part of /Sgt. Pepper's Lonely
>Hearts Club Band/.... )

>. o O ( ...with the Bee Gees. )

>>CADB is right.

>. o O ( 180; 1776; 1973; 1991 )

.oO(Pop-ups adjusted to the width of 80 characters per line.)
.oO(Movie titles were altered in the above, with /faux italics/ in place of
quotation marks.)

>That was from February 9 of this year. Same basic question with two of the
>same movies. Sloppy.

>This time, CDBA is the order. Doug from Venice, a director of commercials and
>music videos who once tried to become a stuntman, is your winner. In the
>relationship is his EX-girlfriend, Theresa.

.oO(I'm not touching this one with a 10ft. pole.)
-----

>$100: Disposible chopsticks are typically made of which of the following?

>A. Stone B. Metal
>C. Wood D. Cubic Zirconia

>C.

.oO(Commonly found at Chinese restaurants.)
.oO(Which aren't really Chinese.)
.oO(Apparently, the modern "Chinese food" originated in San Francisco.)
.oO(Hey, if it's on the History Channel, it's likely to be true.)
-----

>$200: Which of these household objects would most likely have an amplifier?

.oO(My father's butt after eating a lot of beans.)

>A. Blender B. Stereo
>C. Lawn mower D. Cat

>B.

.oO(Those who turn their car stereos up high are likely to develop deafness.)
.oO(And they also need to pump up their stereos further.)
.oO(They can't hear it unless turned up an EXTRA 30Db.)
-----

>$300: A person who is not making any progress is said to be "going around in"
>what?

>A. Squares B. Circles
>C. Triangles D. Graduate School

.oO(Or on a treadmill.)

>B.

.oO(WHAT?! D should be "high school"!)
-----

>$500: A dehumidifier is designed to remove what from the air?

>A. Moisture B. Smoke
>C. Bugs D. Odor

>A.

.oO(Humidity in the air; Not sweat.)
.oO(In this summer heat, it won't help making anyone comfortable.)
.oO(Use a fan.)
.oO(If you live in CA, like moi, get a folding fan.)
-----
>$1,000: Which of these animals has tusks?

>A. Hippopotumus B. Seal
>C. Warthog D. Tiger

.oO(A: "Nile horse"; Rosie you-know-who.)
.oO(Oddly, I got "Nile Horse" off /Jeopardy!/)
.oO(Which I rarely choose to watch any more.)

>Not the answer choices you were expecting, eh? Him either, but after a moment
>he realizes it's C, and he completes the first five sweep as we head to a
>break.

.oO(RO'D isn't just a warthog...)
.oO(She's a [boar/bore], too.)
-----

>He's the first person ever to bring an ex-girlfriend into the relationship
>seat. She implies they may get back together at some point. Regis hopes this
>show will bring them back together.

.oO(IF he wins the million.)
.oO(If not, Whammy time!)
.oO("I cannot tell a lie-- YOU LOSE!")
-----

>$2000: What citrus fruit is also known as a mandarin orange?

>A. Lemon B. Lime
>C. Tangerine D. Grapefruit

.oO(A + B = Sprite or 7-up.)
.oO(D = eye wash.)

>C. I didn't know that...and I have to admit, I probably would never have tried
>"Tangerine Slice" soda.

.oO(Which was originally "Mandarin Orange Slice".)
-----
>$4,000: What TV show's ratings dropped sharply in 1999 when its lead character
>got a drastic haircut?

.oO(/Baywatch/?)
.oO(No. That show died after the famous couple of Pam Anderson left.)
.oO(And every pubescent teenage boy also "dropped" after their departure.)

>A. /Dharma and Greg/ B. /Felicity/
>C. /Buffy The Vampire Slayer/ D. /Ally McBeal/
>E. /Kojak/

.oO(E: WHAT hair?)

>He'll "consult" the audience. They go 2-67-15-16. He thinks for a while,
>since he doesn't watch the shows, and says that if he's wrong he hopes they'll

>find a category under which he'd get an invitation back...

.oO(What? The "thousandaire" show?)

.oO(Something begs to fill in this blank: _____ CAT [five letters].)
-----
>$8,000: The word "astronaut" is dervied from the Greek words for "star" and
>what?

>A. Travel B. Explore
>C. Sailor D. Discover

>He's agonizing again. Guessing, he says, is not part of his program. But he
>doesn't want to use his PAF either. After what seems like forever, he asks for
>the 50/50, which leaves B and C.

>Doug keeps discussing his feelings about his various options (without saying
>word one about why each answer might or might not be right), until Regis says
>he feels like he's Doug's therapist. Doug shoots back, "I'm sure you've been
>to many". Ow! Regis says he's never been to one, and Doug backtracks,
>insisting he meant that Regis has been a therapist to many. Sure, whatever.
>Regis now understands why Theresa isn't with Doug anymore.

>Doug says C, and thanks the show for a great time.

>He needn't have, as he had the right answer. (If he'd said the word "nautical"
>in there somewhere, he'd probably have been sure.)

.oO(ASTRONAUT dervies from the Russian COSMONAUT.)
.oO(The first astronaut is Senator John Glenn. Remember: ASTRONAUT is
American; COSMONAUT is Russian.)

.oO(The film /Apollo 13/ has three astronauts-- James Lovell, Fred Haise,
and Jack Swigert-- in trouble in space, en route to the moon.)
.oO(Respectively: Tom Hanks; Bill Paxton; Kevin Bacon.)

.oO(Larry Hagman plays Major Anthony Nelson on /I Dream of Jeannie/.
.oO(Barbara Eden still has light brown hair.)

.oO(Lee Majors mentioned twice in the same QXZ Pop-up Millionaire?)
.oO(Yes!)
.oO(Lee Majors plays astronaut Col. Steve Austin on /The $6,000,000 Man/.)
.oO(Written "$6,000,000" as opposed to "six million" because of space concerns.)
.oO(As opposed to Stone Cold Steve Austin.)
.oO(Unless Majors' biogenetic components freeze-- THEN you can call him
Stone Cold Steve Austin.)

.oO(Neil Armstrong was the first to walk on the moon [July 19, 1969].)

.oO(Converting 'NAUT and MOON to Japanese creates /Sailor Moon/.)
.oO(Full title, Romanized from Jpns: /Bishôjo Senshi Sêrâ Mûn/ [or /Pretty
Soldier.../].)
.oO(Created in 1992 by Naoko Takeuchi as a manga [comic book] turned
animated series.)

.oO(Shine on, shine on, harvest moon, up in the sky...)

.oO(I think I just shot the moon with all the mess.)
.oO(Back to your regularly scheduled ad break.)
-----

>Ad break, and Regis tells us how adventurous Doug was in his life, until he
>arrived in the hot seat.

Brought to you by Apple's iDVD. Now, you can record all your home movies
onto one DVD and save shelf space, too. What used to be thirty humiliating
VHS and Beta tapes of your family now becomes only a mere couple of
humiliating DVDs. Apple-- think different (now, in a monochrome silver).
-----
>$16,000: What classic rock song asks, "Scaramouche, scaramouche, will you do
>the fandango?"

.oO(ONE OF MY FAVORITE SONGS!)

>A. "Dancing Queen B. "Bohemian Rhapsody"
>C. "Stairway To Heaven" D. "Dream On"

>Um, "Dancing Queen" a classic rock song? Better not try to play it on a

>classic rock radio station!...

.oO(File it under DISCO.)

>...Anyway, for once Doug doesn't feel like discussing his program. B, final,
>correct.

.oO(Good thing Doug didn't "take a chance on" Abba.)
.oO(Or ABBA, for you spoil sports.)
.oO(And it's "Money, Money, Money" for this guy.)

.oO(MTV's short-lived /Idiot Savants/ had a category devoted to this song!)
.oO(How we all miss that show!)
.oO(Last words in the song: "Any way the wind blows....")
.oO(Not "nothing really matters to me....")

.oO(And in the video[s], you don't see any dancing Queen members....)
.oO(...But Mike Myers and Dana Carvey head-banging.)

.oO(It jumped into the top ten in two eras.)
.oO(Its initial release in 1975...)
.oO(...And upon the release of /Wayne's World/, seventeen years later, in 1992.)
.oO(It could be called "Bohemian Rhapsody"'s "Radio Ga Ga" for Gen X.)
-----
>$32,000: The World War I invasion of Gallipolli took place in what country?

.oO(GALLIPOLI is the correct spelling.)

>A. Australia B. Turkey
>C. Germany D. New Zealand

>He thinks he knows, but he wants to use his PAF now, because he believes the
>questions get easier after you have the $32K secure. Whatever, dude! He
>insists his friend, also named Doug, is a genius. This Doug immediately says
>Turkey.

.oO(In Spanish, this team sounds like "Doug y Doug".)
.oO(Sounds frighteningly similar to Doug E. Doug.)

>Our Doug thought it was something else, but he'll make Turkey his final answer.

.oO(For Thanksgiving!)

>The right answer!

.oO(Actually, my Grolier CD reads in the head paragraph:)
.oO("The Gallipoli campaign of 1915 was an Allied attempt to knock Ottoman
Turkey out of WORLD WAR I and reopen a supply route to Russia.")
.oO(I never knew Ottoman turkeys were ever in season.)
-----
>$64,000 and no lifelines: What is the term for a large basin-shaped crater

>formed by a collapsed volcano?

.oO(Besides a pimple?)

>A. Caldera B. Esker
>C. Moraine D. Pogonip

>Does he still think the later questions are easier? Doesn't seem so, and he
>notes forlornly that he had a good geography PAF. He'll go with A. He feels
>good about it.

>He should feel good about it... he's right!

.oO(Fill it with water, charge $50 for one day, and you've got a feature
water park.)

.oO(B: A long, sinuous, low ridge composed of glacial sand and gravel)

.oO(C: Accumulation of boulders, stones, or other debris carried and
deposited by a glacier.)
.oO(Also a sign of a major flood-- a 90% chance of moraine.)

.oO(D: I couldn't find a definition. Please help!)
-----

>$125,000: Which of these Stephen King novels does not take place in the
>fictional town of Castle Rock?

.oO(Also the name of a non-fictional movie company-- Castle Rock Entertainment.)

>A. /Cujo/ B. /Needful Things/
>C. /The Dead Zone/ D. /Pet Sematary/

.oO(You Stephen King fans need to help me out on this one.)

>He's still bucking for an invitation back...but he won't risk his money. His
>guess would be A.

>Correct answer was D. And we'll take a break.

-----
AD BREAK

Viagra Racing. That's not the car's built-in stick shift he's using to
swtich gears, nor are his hands on the steering wheel....
-----

>FF3: Put these TV series in order by the number in their titles, starting
with the highest.

.oO(AGAIN?!?!?! WTF?!?!?!)

>A. /Party Of Five/ B. /227/
>C. /Car 54, Where Are You?/ D. /Three's Company/

>BCAD gets emergency room nurse Dee Phillips of Miami into the hot seat.

.oO($1,000,000 could sure be the start of her own hospital...)
.oO(...Or be MORE than enough to revive her from a $1,000,000-induced heart
attack.)
-----

>$100: A tough and unrelenting person is said to be "as tough as" what?

>A. Pencils B. Nails
>C. Candy D. Calculus
>E. That last fastest finger question

.oO(F: A fresh fruitcake around Christmas.)
.oO(G: Stale bread.)
.oO(H: Finding out what the average IQ of every New Yorker who voted from
Hillary Clinton was.)
.oO(Two hints for H: At their lowest, it's zero; At their highest, it's
nine; It's a single-digit number.)

>B.

.oO(/NFL Blitz/ Commercial:)
.oO(They just don't pump iron, they EAT it.)
.oO(Scene: NFL players muching on bowls of rusted iron as if it were cereal.)
-----

>$200: When a movie storyline gets more complicated, it is said that "the plot"
>does what?

>A. Thins B. Mutates
>C. Thickens D. Self-destructs

>C.

.oO(While the plot thickens, the tape that dishes the mission briefing
self-destructs.)
.oO(On /Inspector Gadget/, the letter with the mission briefing self-destructs.)
.oO(Poor Quimby!)
-----

>$300: A football player punts the ball by doing what to it?

>A. Catching B. Kicking
>C. Throwing D. Deep-frying

.oO(At least they didn't have "fart" as an answer.)
.oO(Deep-fried pig skins are called pork rinds.)

>B.

.oO(Kicking scores 3pts. for a field goal; One for a conversion.)
.oO(Penalties:)
.oO(Running into the kicker [def]: 5yds.)
.oO(Roughing the kicker [def]: 15yds.)
.oO(A kicker [or other player] simulating being roughed [off]: 15yds.)
-----

>$500: Which of the following vehicles might commonly be "glass-bottomed"?

>A. Train B. Plane
>C. Boat D. Bus

>C.

.oO(In Tex Avery's animated short "Car of Tomorrow"...)
.oO(A car with wide bumpers used specially for mowing down pedestrians...)
.oO(Has a transparent bottom.)
.oO(So you can see if one of the victims was an old friend.)
.oO("Nice knowin' ya.")
-----
>$1,000: Which of these TV series consists mainly of impovisational comedy?

>A. /Drew Carey Show/ B. /Malcolm In The Middle/
>C. /Will and Grace/ D. /Whose Line Is It Anyway?/

>And Dee gets to say her own name as the correct answer.

.oO(CHEATER!)
.oO(/Whose Line Is It Anyway?/ has a question mark in the title.)
.oO(/Who Wants to be a Millionaire?/ should be written as I mentioned.)
.oO(/Drew Carey/ has also been about improvisational comedy on occasion.)
-----
Now, I have 5+ remarks pages to finish.

--
From the mind of John Isles, iv <q...@as.net>

John Isles, iv

Sep 3, 2001, 8:20:55 AM9/3/01
I wrote (>> is Brett Pasternack's writing):

>>Viewers never learned the first name of which of these TV crimestoppers?

>.oO(/Family Matters/ had a character named Lieutenant Murtaugh-- Lieutenant

>was his lega first name.)

Should be spelled LEGAL.

-----
>>$500: In a traditional game of Spin The Bottle, what happens to a player when
>>the bottle points at him?

.
.
.
>.oO(.)

I could not think of anything at time of post.

-----
>>Ad break, and we meet her sister Jamie in the relationship seat, who isn't
>>quite as cute. Kelli dreams of joining the cast of Sesame Street. She loves
>>working with little kids. I'm liking her more and more.

Forgot faux italics for /Sesame Street/.

-----
>>$200: Which of these household objects would most likely have an amplifier?
.

.

.
>.oO(Those who turn their car stereos up high are likely to develop deafness.)
>.oO(And they also need to pump up their stereos further.)
>.oO(They can't hear it unless turned up an EXTRA 30Db.)

.oO(And the primary music played so loud: [c]Rap.)

-----
>>$8,000: The word "astronaut" is dervied from the Greek words for "star" and
>>what?

.
.
.

>.oO(Converting 'NAUT and MOON to Japanese creates /Sailor Moon/.)
>.oO(Full title, Romanized from Jpns: /Bishôjo Senshi Sêrâ Mûn/ [or /Pretty
>Soldier.../].)
>.oO(Created in 1992 by Naoko Takeuchi as a manga [comic book] turned
>animated series.)

.oO(Five of the six series were released in North America in 1995 [1-3],
1997 [3, delayed two years], and 2000 [4 & 5].)

-----
>>$16,000: What classic rock song asks, "Scaramouche, scaramouche, will you do
>>the fandango?"
.

.
.

>>A. "Dancing Queen B. "Bohemian Rhapsody"
>>C. "Stairway To Heaven" D. "Dream On"

>.oO(And in the video[s], you don't see any dancing Queen members....)

>.oO(...But Mike Myers and Dana Carvey head-banging.)

.oO(Speaking of, when Wayne buys his spazzy new guitar, there is a sign, in
the music store, that reads, "No Stairway to Heaven".)
-----
>AD BREAK

>Viagra Racing. That's not the car's built-in stick shift he's using to
>swtich gears, nor are his hands on the steering wheel....

.oO(Who were you expecting? Bob Dole?)

-----
>>$100: A tough and unrelenting person is said to be "as tough as" what?

.
.
.

>.oO(H: Finding out what the average IQ of every New Yorker who voted from
>Hillary Clinton was.)
>.oO(Two hints for H: At their lowest, it's zero; At their highest, it's
>nine; It's a single-digit number.)

Even bigger hint: The number, when written out, is three letters in
length. That leaves 1, 2, and 6.

-----
>>$300: A football player punts the ball by doing what to it?

.
.

.
>.oO(Kicking scores 3pts. for a field goal; One for a conversion.)
>.oO(Penalties:)
>.oO(Running into the kicker [def]: 5yds.)
>.oO(Roughing the kicker [def]: 15yds.)
>.oO(A kicker [or other player] simulating being roughed [off]: 15yds.)

Also could have added that returned punts can not be called for safeties.

-----
>>$1,000: Which of these TV series consists mainly of impovisational comedy?

.
.
.

>.oO(/Whose Line Is It Anyway?/ has a question mark in the title.)
>.oO(/Who Wants to be a Millionaire?/ should be written as I mentioned.)
>.oO(/Drew Carey/ has also been about improvisational comedy on occasion.)

/Who Wants to be a Millionaire?/ is missing. Everyone believes the show is
unrehearsed... or is it...?

-----
>Now, I have 5+ remarks pages to finish.

Nine, actually.

--
From the mind of John Isles, iv <q...@as.net>

Press START to continue...

Dean Scungio

Sep 3, 2001, 1:45:20 PM9/3/01
Great job, John. With three "Pop-Up" recappers, and two shows a week coming
this fall, I can retire!

Extra stuff below...

> Since I'm gonna start doing more of these (and hopefully finishing those
> that need it before too long), I have decided to ditch "remarks" and
rename
> the posts "QXZ Pop-up Millionaire".

. o O ( In Scrabble... )
. o O ( Q: 10 points )
. o O ( X: 8 points )
. o O ( Z: 10 points) )
. o O ( MILLIONAIRE: 13 points )
. o O ( Playable by placing "AIRE" after the word MILLION... )
. o O ( Or "IONAIRE" after MILL, or "MIL" and "AIRE" to LION and scoring a
50-point "bingo" bonus in the process by using all seven tiles. )
. o O ( And don't forget the premium scoring squares. )

> >$200: Which of the following is a slang term for a scapegoat?
>
> .oO(Video games. Especially the more violent ones.)

Yeah!

. o O ( A recent study by the Harvard School of Public Health reported that
35 of out 55 [selected from a list of 672!] ESRB E-rated video games
featured some form of violence and rewarded young players for "aggressive
behavior." )

Listen, Mario stomping on a Koopa troopa is not going to make kids go psycho
later in life. You have too much time on your hands, okay?

> >$2,000: Chum is usually used to attract which of these animals?
>
> .oO(Chum is usually made of fish guts.)
> .oO(Hannibal would easily make chum out of his used-to-be chums....)

LOL!

> >$16,000: Which of these colonial American leaders was once jailed in the
Tower
> >of London for his religious beliefs?
>
> >A. Samuel Adams B. Roger Williams
> >C. William Penn D. Patrick Henry
>
> >Her school visited the Tower, but she didn't pay enough attention on the
tour.
> >50/50 takes away A and D, which is exactly what I expected, but it's
enough to
> >shake something loose, and she goes for C. And she's correct.
>
> .oO(Quaker.)
> .oO(He is on the Quaker Oats box.)

Wrong.

. o O ( http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mquaker.html )

> >>"Put these 2000 movies in order by the time periods in which they are
set,
> >>starting with the earliest"
>
> >>A) /The Patriot/ B) /The Perfect Storm/
> >>C) /Gladiator/ D) /Almost Famous/
>
> >. o O ( Peter Frampton was an advisor to /Almost Famous/, and appeared
briefly
> >in it, as the manager of his real-life band, Humble Pie. )
> >. o O ( His most visible movie appearance was as part of /Sgt. Pepper's
Lonely
> >Hearts Club Band/.... )
> >. o O ( ...with the Bee Gees. )
>
> >>CADB is right.
>
> >. o O ( 180; 1776; 1973; 1991 )
>
> .oO(Pop-ups adjusted to the width of 80 characters per line.)
> .oO(Movie titles were altered in the above, with /faux italics/ in place
of
> quotation marks.)

I never knew that. I was wondering why those slashes were there. That
makes sense.

> >$100: Disposible chopsticks are typically made of which of the
following?

> >A. Stone B. Metal
> >C. Wood D. Cubic Zirconia
>
> >C.
>
> .oO(Commonly found at Chinese restaurants.)
> .oO(Which aren't really Chinese.)
> .oO(Apparently, the modern "Chinese food" originated in San Francisco.)

. o O ( Also, *real* Chinese food is much healther than what is served at
restaurants. )

> .oO(Hey, if it's on the History Channel, it's likely to be true.)

Send your cards and letters to the History Channel to get "History IQ" back
on the air!

> >$1,000: Which of these animals has tusks?
>
> >A. Hippopotumus B. Seal
> >C. Warthog D. Tiger
>
> .oO(A: "Nile horse"; Rosie you-know-who.)
> .oO(Oddly, I got "Nile Horse" off /Jeopardy!/)

. o O ( Referring to a "Final Jeopardy!" answer/question from the 2000 Teen
Tournament. )

> >He's the first person ever to bring an ex-girlfriend into the
relationship
> >seat. She implies they may get back together at some point. Regis hopes
this
> >show will bring them back together.
>
> .oO(IF he wins the million.)
> .oO(If not, Whammy time!)
> .oO("I cannot tell a lie-- YOU LOSE!")

A previous show featured a contestant who is now the ex-girlfriend of a
former contestant. I couldn't find out who that was.

> >He'll "consult" the audience. They go 2-67-15-16. He thinks for a
while,
> >since he doesn't watch the shows, and says that if he's wrong he hopes
they'll
> >find a category under which he'd get an invitation back...
>
> .oO(What? The "thousandaire" show?)

. o O ( To date, over 200 regular contestants have won only $1,000. )
. o O ( 13 "Zero Dollar Winners" were invited back for a second chance to
play in 2001. )

While watching this guy, I kept wondering, "What the hell is he talking
about been invited back?"

. o O ( Some contestants have been invited back only after gross errors by
the show. )
. o O ( ...mostly due to faulty research. )

. o O ( astro-: from "astron", Greek for "star" )
. o O ( cosmo-: from "kosmos", Greek for "universe" )
. o O ( -naut: from "nautes", Greek for "sailor" )

> >$16,000: What classic rock song asks, "Scaramouche, scaramouche, will
you do
> >the fandango?"
>
> .oO(ONE OF MY FAVORITE SONGS!)

Me too.

> >A. "Dancing Queen B. "Bohemian Rhapsody"
> >C. "Stairway To Heaven" D. "Dream On"
>
> >Um, "Dancing Queen" a classic rock song? Better not try to play it on a
> >classic rock radio station!...
>
> .oO(File it under DISCO.)
>
> >...Anyway, for once Doug doesn't feel like discussing his program. B,
final,
> >correct.
>
> .oO(Good thing Doug didn't "take a chance on" Abba.)
> .oO(Or ABBA, for you spoil sports.)
> .oO(And it's "Money, Money, Money" for this guy.)
>
> .oO(MTV's short-lived /Idiot Savants/ had a category devoted to this
song!)
> .oO(How we all miss that show!)

. o O ( Chico Alexander currently runs a popular "'Net Idiot Savants" Net
game. )

> .oO(Last words in the song: "Any way the wind blows....")
> .oO(Not "nothing really matters to me....")
>
> .oO(And in the video[s], you don't see any dancing Queen members....)
> .oO(...But Mike Myers and Dana Carvey head-banging.)
>
> .oO(It jumped into the top ten in two eras.)
> .oO(Its initial release in 1975...)

. o O ( ...when it spent 9 weeks at #1 on the U.K. Billboard charts. )

> .oO(...And upon the release of /Wayne's World/, seventeen years later, in
1992.)

. o O ( ...when it reached the #2 spot on the U.S. Billboard charts. )

> >$64,000 and no lifelines: What is the term for a large basin-shaped
crater
> >formed by a collapsed volcano?
>
> .oO(Besides a pimple?)
>
> >A. Caldera B. Esker
> >C. Moraine D. Pogonip
>
> >Does he still think the later questions are easier? Doesn't seem so, and
he
> >notes forlornly that he had a good geography PAF. He'll go with A. He
feels
> >good about it.
>
> >He should feel good about it... he's right!
>
> .oO(Fill it with water, charge $50 for one day, and you've got a feature
> water park.)
>
> .oO(B: A long, sinuous, low ridge composed of glacial sand and gravel)
>
> .oO(C: Accumulation of boulders, stones, or other debris carried and
> deposited by a glacier.)
> .oO(Also a sign of a major flood-- a 90% chance of moraine.)
>
> .oO(D: I couldn't find a definition. Please help!)

. o O ( pogonip: see also "ice fog" )
. o O ( ice fog: a dense winter fog containing frozen particles that is
formed in deep mountain valleys of the western U.S., also called "pogonip" )

> -----
> >$125,000: Which of these Stephen King novels does not take place in the
> >fictional town of Castle Rock?
>
> .oO(Also the name of a non-fictional movie company-- Castle Rock
Entertainment.)

> >A. /Cujo/ B. /Needful Things/
> >C. /The Dead Zone/ D. /Pet Sematary/
>
> .oO(You Stephen King fans need to help me out on this one.)

Sorry, I don't read Steven King novels.

> >$300: A football player punts the ball by doing what to it?
>
> >A. Catching B. Kicking
> >C. Throwing D. Deep-frying
>
> .oO(At least they didn't have "fart" as an answer.)
> .oO(Deep-fried pig skins are called pork rinds.)
>
> >B.
>
> .oO(Kicking scores 3pts. for a field goal; One for a conversion.)
> .oO(Penalties:)
> .oO(Running into the kicker [def]: 5yds.)
> .oO(Roughing the kicker [def]: 15yds.)
> .oO(A kicker [or other player] simulating being roughed [off]: 15yds.)

I never knew there was such a penalty.

> >$1,000: Which of these TV series consists mainly of impovisational
comedy?

> >A. /Drew Carey Show/ B. /Malcolm In The Middle/
> >C. /Will and Grace/ D. /Whose Line Is It Anyway?/
>
> >And Dee gets to say her own name as the correct answer.
>
> .oO(CHEATER!)
> .oO(/Whose Line Is It Anyway?/ has a question mark in the title.)
> .oO(/Who Wants to be a Millionaire?/ should be written as I mentioned.)

Yes, it should have the "?", but...

. o O ( The producers of the U.S. WWTBAM show dropped the question mark from
the title. )
. o O ( Probably because it's a no-brainer of a question... )
. o O ( "Who wants to be a millionaire? ME! Duh." )
. o O ( The original U.K. show's title still has the question mark. )

. o O ( "Pop-Up Video" is a trademark of VH-1, Viacom and Spin the Bottle
Productions. )

. o O ( POP! )

--
Dean Scungio
dscu...@worldnet.att.net

"It's not how much we give away,
it's the way we do it." -Monty Hall

Brett A. Pasternack

Sep 6, 2001, 1:55:42 AM9/6/01
John Isles, iv wrote:

> >FF1: Put these songs in order by the number in the title, starting with the
> >highest:
>
> >A. "At Seventeen" B. "96 Tears"
> >C. "1999" D. "Nothing Compares 2 U"
>
> .oO(Janis Ian; Prince; Prince; Sinead O'Connor.)
> .oO(I cheated: I looked below.)

No, actually, the two songs Prince wrote were C and D. Prince wrote
"Nothing Compares 2 U" for a group called The Family, and Sinead heard
that version and did her own, which of course became the big hit. Prince
later did his own version for a greatest-hits set.

"96 Tears" was a 1966 #1 for ? (Question Mark) and the Mysterians.

> >Obviously that's CBAD. Hmmm, two songs written by Prince. They should have
> >added "I Would Die 4 U" and "7" and at least shown some signs of putting effort
> >and/or creativity into the question. (It still would be ridiculously easy, but
> >you can't have everything, where would you put it?)
>
> >The winner is Kelli Anderson, a cute second-year high school teacher from the
> >Bronx. Rumor has it she's two years older than she claimed to the producers.
>
> .oO(Just the opposite of the recent Little League scandal.)

No, exactly the same as the recent scandal--Danny Almonte was two years
older than he claimed.

> >$2000: What citrus fruit is also known as a mandarin orange?
>
> >A. Lemon B. Lime
> >C. Tangerine D. Grapefruit
>
> .oO(A + B = Sprite or 7-up.)
> .oO(D = eye wash.)
>
> >C. I didn't know that...and I have to admit, I probably would never have tried
> >"Tangerine Slice" soda.
>
> .oO(Which was originally "Mandarin Orange Slice".)

Still is. That's the point, you see.

> -----
> >$4,000: What TV show's ratings dropped sharply in 1999 when its lead character
> >got a drastic haircut?
>
> .oO(/Baywatch/?)
> .oO(No. That show died after the famous couple of Pam Anderson left.)
> .oO(And every pubescent teenage boy also "dropped" after their departure.)
>
> >A. /Dharma and Greg/ B. /Felicity/
> >C. /Buffy The Vampire Slayer/ D. /Ally McBeal/
> >E. /Kojak/
>
> .oO(E: WHAT hair?)

That's the point too! Jeez, tough room. These are the jokes, folks!

Brett A. Pasternack

Sep 6, 2001, 1:57:09 AM9/6/01
John Isles, iv wrote:

> >.oO(H: Finding out what the average IQ of every New Yorker who voted from
> >Hillary Clinton was.)
> >.oO(Two hints for H: At their lowest, it's zero; At their highest, it's
> >nine; It's a single-digit number.)
>
> Even bigger hint: The number, when written out, is three letters in
> length. That leaves 1, 2, and 6.

That's fine. It's still higher than that of the Republican nominee for
President.

John Isles, iv

Sep 6, 2001, 4:48:05 AM9/6/01
Brett A. Pasternack writes:

>John Isles, iv wrote:

No. I'm willing to give Bush two three-letter digits. And that leaves
either 11 or 22-- I'm not allowing 66, as it's just WAY too high.

But I still think New Yorkers are gullibe idiots for electing Hillary "Miss
Gullible" Clinton to Senate.

And the answer: One. At least the New Yorkers who gullibly voted for Miss
Clinton were smart enough to punch the ballot correctly. That's the only
IQ point they have.

--
From the mind of John Isles, iv <q...@as.net>

Brought to you by the letters J, H, and I, and the number 13.

John Isles, iv

Sep 6, 2001, 4:51:15 AM9/6/01
Brett Alan Pasternack writes:

>John Isles, iv wrote:

>>>The winner is Kelli Anderson, a cute second-year high school teacher from the
>>>Bronx. Rumor has it she's two years older than she claimed to the producers.

>>.oO(Just the opposite of the recent Little League scandal.)

>No, exactly the same as the recent scandal--Danny Almonte was two years
>older than he claimed.

I see that now.

--
From the mind of John Isles, iv <q...@as.net>

"Read my lips: No new taxes. You know, it's funny, when you
read my lips, it looks like I'm saying, `No nude actresses`."
--Ben Stein