JS Millionaire 11/23

Jason Wuthrich

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
Jeremy Soria <jesoriaREMO...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:383b4d54...@news.mindspring.com...
> WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
> Tuesday, November 23, 1999
>
> West Coast, enjoy the lead time you have in waiting.

That includes you, Randy.

Let's play...

> WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?

Chad has always used the 50:50 Lifeline on the $200 question.

> For $1000?
> Whose music are you fan of if you call yourself a "Parrothead"?
> A. Grateful Dead B. Limp Biskit C. Calypso D. Jimmy Buffett
> Asking the audience: 3-9-14-74
> He goes with the audience and wins $1000.

Yikes. Two Lifelines burnt on the first five questions. It's going to be a
rough ride.

> For $2000:
> Which of the following is *NOT* a type of pastry?
> He chooses "flan" for $2000.

What is a flan, anyway?

> For $16,000:
> What photographic technology did Edwin H. Landintroduce in 1947?
> A. Xerox copying B. Color Film C. Color Slides D. Polaroid camera
> He phones his friend Mike. He gives him an affirmative on D.
> That's it, and he wins $16,000.

Yes, but he's out of Lifelines.

> For $32,000:
> What is the largest denomination of US currency to be issued since 1969?
> A. $100 B. $500 C. $1000 D. $10,000
>
> He knocks out A and B, and goes for D.
>
> His final answer is a $15,000 flyer.
>
> And the result...
>
> BRICK. Correct answer is A.

It's been _that long_ since the $500s and up were retired?

> So the total from 34 contestants is now $3,306,000.

We're averaging just under $100,000 a pop.

> And so, the next FASTEST FINGER FIRST is:
>
> Place these human bones in order from HEAD to TOE:
>
> A. Fibula
> B. Clavicle
> C. Cranium
> D. Rib
>
> Correct answer: C-B-D-A
> Winner and time: Jason Francis in 5.18 seconds!

As usual, I was wrong _and_ too slow.

> For $500:
> According to the theme song of her TV show, "who can turn the world on
with
> her smile"?
> Troy Diggs is livid right now as he Asks the Audience:
> A. Murphy Brown B. Mary Tyler Moore C. Rhoda D. Roseanne
> We get: 1-95-1-3 (laughter)
> So he goes with the audience on this one. He gets $500.

I think that's the most lopsided audience poll in this series. BTW, I'd
like to meet that 3% that said Roseanne...

> For a guaranteed $32,000:
> By what name does blues legend BB King call his Gibson guitar?
> A. Mona B. Thriller C. Lucille D. Diddley
>
> Hmmm. Looks like the 50/50 will leave:
>
> C. Lucille D. Diddley
>
> He thinks it's C, but he wants to Phone a Friend to make sure. It will be
> Gary, his uncle. Gary gives him a positive on Lucille.
>
> Final answer...
>
> ... and it's worth THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!

Ten down, five to go. Again, however, no Lifelines left.

> For $64,000:
> Whose image will be on the new U.S. $1 coin, scheduled to be introduced in
> 2000?
> Regis pronounces Sacajawea "Socka-wocky"! And that's good for $64,000.

I prefer Tom Bergeron's pronunciation better--Sacajawa.

> FASTEST FINGER FIRST:
>
> Place these Brad Pitt movies in order of release, starting with EARLIEST:
>
> A. Kalifornia
> B. Seven Years in Tibet
> C. Fight Club
> D. Thelma & Louise
>
> Correct answer: D-A-B-C

Wrong again. I had B first.

> For $200:
> In "Miracle on 34th Street", what legendary figure must stand trial in
court?
> He chooses Kris Kringle for $200.

We'll see that movie ad naseum throughout the next 32 days.

> For $32,000:
> What legendary hazz vocalist was known as "Lady Day"?
> A. Ella Fitzgerald B. Mahalia Jackson
> C. Billy Holiday D. Lena Horne
>
> The 50/50 leaves:
>
> A. Ella Fitzgerald C. Billy Holiday
>
> With $15,000 on the line....
>
> And with little knowledge of jazz music...
>
> He takes the $15,000 flyer on A.
>
> Nope. He's got $1000.

I would have gone with A, too. (Of course, this is all academic considering
I rarely get past the Fastest Finger.)

> FASTEST FINGER FIRST:

Speaking of which...

> Place these cities in the order they observe the arrival of New Year's
Day,
> first to last:
>
> A. Paris B. Moscow C. Honolulu D. New York
>
> Correct Order:
> B-A-D-C

Finally, I got it right...

> Winner and time: Lauren Kelner in a close call! 5.25 seconds!

...but not fast enough. At least we've got another woman in the Hot Seat!

> WFor $200:
> Who is credited with inventing the sandwich?
> She chooses 4th Earl of Sandwich, from the other choices of Subway and 1st
> Duke of Reuben, and Jonathon Club III. $200.

:-D Gotta hand it to the researchers for coming up with those choices.

> For $500:
> Party animal Spuds McKenzie was a pitch dog for which of thefollowing
drinks?
> A. Bud Light B. Miller Lite C. Coors Light D. Kibbles & Brew
> She will Ask the Audience. We get:
> 88-7-1-4
> And she sticks with Bud Light, talking it out. Even though she didn't
drink
> beer, she remembers the commercials, I'm sure, now.
> That's her final answer...
> and it's worth $500.

I don't drink, either, but I knew that one anyway.

> **AH-WHOOOOOO!**

Remember, tomorrow night is the final show of this series! Good night from
Kalamazoo.

> WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE? was created by David Briggs with Michael
> Whitehill and Steve Knight for Celador Productions, and is produced in the
> United States by Valleycrest Productions for Buena Vista Television.
> MILLIONAIRE?: Copyright 1999
> Valleycrest Productions and Buena Vista Television.
> This Update is Copyright 1999 Jeremy Soria.
> All Rights Reserved.
>
> All game material contained herein remains the property of Valleycrest and
> BVTV. Opinions expressed in this update are solely those of the compiler.

And as always, all of my opinions are mine and mine alone.

(c) 1999 Jason Wuthrich All rights reserved

Jeremy Soria

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
Tuesday, November 23, 1999

West Coast, enjoy the lead time you have in waiting.

PREVIOUSLY ON MILLIONAIRE:

Jane Oviatt gets a big check for $125,000 from her visit and becomes so far
the most successful woman on this show!

David Patrick is rueing the days he didn't watch Where in the World is Carmen
Sandiego? because his knowing of where Chile is on the globe could have netted
*him* $125,000. Remember, it's only easy if you know the answer!

Rob Berman from Brooklyn takes his own sweet time working his way up to
$32,000... and then continues on to pick up more money for a total of
$125,000!

And now, Chad Harp is in the Hot Seat. Let's hope his climb for the million
goes far as we find out:

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?

For $300:
What two groups does the PTA join?
He should know this one - Parents and Teachers, for $300.

For $500:
In which of the following places would you most likely find the condiment
holder called a "lazy Susan"?
He says "on top of a table" for $500.

For $1000?
Whose music are you fan of if you call yourself a "Parrothead"?
A. Grateful Dead B. Limp Biskit C. Calypso D. Jimmy Buffett
Asking the audience: 3-9-14-74
He goes with the audience and wins $1000.

For $2000:

Which of the following is *NOT* a type of pastry?
He chooses "flan" for $2000.

For $4000:
Living human beings are composed primarily of which of the following?
He says water for $4000.

For $8000:
Who is known as "Mr. Television"?
He chooses Milton Berle for $8000.

For $16,000:
What photographic technology did Edwin H. Landintroduce in 1947?
A. Xerox copying B. Color Film C. Color Slides D. Polaroid camera
He phones his friend Mike. He gives him an affirmative on D.
That's it, and he wins $16,000.

For $32,000:

What is the largest denomination of US currency to be issued since 1969?
A. $100 B. $500 C. $1000 D. $10,000

He knocks out A and B, and goes for D.

His final answer is a $15,000 flyer.

And the result...

BRICK. Correct answer is A.

And he looks somewhat relieved that he's leaving the hot seat, considering
that he looked constipated and not wanting to be in there in the first place.

Personally, I think that question was poorly worded; "largest denomination of
US currency **still in use today**" would have been a bit more helpful. Then
again, that would have been giving the contestant a bit too much help, I
guess?

So the total from 34 contestants is now $3,306,000.

And so, the next FASTEST FINGER FIRST is:

Place these human bones in order from HEAD to TOE:

A. Fibula
B. Clavicle
C. Cranium
D. Rib

Correct answer: C-B-D-A
Winner and time: Jason Francis in 5.18 seconds!

Jason Francis is from Newark, Delaware, and was a DJ in college. He's
currently sells furniture.

For $100:
In "Jack and the Beanstalk" which of the following did Jack steal from the
giant?
He chooses bags of gold for $100.

For $200:
According to an old proverb, what is "thicker than water"?
He says blood and gets $200.

For $300:
What kind of bird is the animated character "Chilly Willy"?
He says penguin for $300.

For $500:
According to the theme song of her TV show, "who can turn the world on with
her smile"?
Troy Diggs is livid right now as he Asks the Audience:
A. Murphy Brown B. Mary Tyler Moore C. Rhoda D. Roseanne
We get: 1-95-1-3 (laughter)
So he goes with the audience on this one. He gets $500.

For $1000:
On which of the following would you most likely find the letters RSVP?
He says invitation for $1000.

For $2000:
What professional sport does Mia Hamm play?
With extreme confidence, he says soccer and wins $2000.

For $4000:
The juice of what plant is traditionally used to soothe dry skin and minor
burns?
He chooses aloe for $4000.

For $8000:
Hippocrates is recognized as the father of what field?
He says Medicine, considering that doctors take the Hippocratic Oath.
He wins $8000.

For $16,000:
What is the tallest mountain in the US?
A. Mt. Shasta B. Mt. Rainier C. Mt. McKinley D. Mt. Whitney
He chooses Mt. McKinley...
... we didn't fool him! He has $16,000!

For a guaranteed $32,000:
By what name does blues legend BB King call his Gibson guitar?
A. Mona B. Thriller C. Lucille D. Diddley

Hmmm. Looks like the 50/50 will leave:

C. Lucille D. Diddley

He thinks it's C, but he wants to Phone a Friend to make sure. It will be
Gary, his uncle. Gary gives him a positive on Lucille.

Final answer...

... and it's worth THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $64,000:

Whose image will be on the new U.S. $1 coin, scheduled to be introduced in
2000?
Regis pronounces Sacajawea "Socka-wocky"! And that's good for $64,000.

For $125,000:
"Death, be not proud" is an poening of a sonnet by which of the following
poets?
A. John Donne
B. Robert Frost
C. William Butler Yeats
D. Francis Bacon

It's a total guess, so he takes the money. A guess on A would have given him
$125,000. But he got a good check for $64,000.

The total now from 35 contestants is $3,370,000.

FASTEST FINGER FIRST:

Place these Brad Pitt movies in order of release, starting with EARLIEST:

A. Kalifornia
B. Seven Years in Tibet
C. Fight Club
D. Thelma & Louise

Correct answer: D-A-B-C
Winner & time: Shawn Borgosz in 7.28 seconds!

Shawn Borgosz is from Pew, New York, outside of Buffalo. He's a volunteer
firefighter.

For $100:
What target did William Tell split in half while it sat on his son's head?
He chooses apple for $100.

For $200:
In "Miracle on 34th Street", what legendary figure must stand trial in court?
He chooses Kris Kringle for $200.

For $300:
A business that's in debt is in the what?
He says "red" for $300.

For $500:
By definition, what sport do you participate in if you are an "angler"?
He chooses fishing for $500.

For $1000:
How many face cards in a standard US deck of 52 cards?
He says 12 (3 x 4) for $1000.

For $2000:
Which squad of TV commandos-for-hire would you seek out to find Mr. T?
He remembers The A-Team - not The Brady Bunch - for $2000.

For $4000:
Seventeenth century French monk dom Perignon is considered the father of what?
He's hoping it's champagne...
... and he's won $4000.

For $8000:
What constellation is known as the Hunter?
A. Orion B. Andromeda
C. Cassiopeia D. Draco
Asking the audience, we get 86-8-4-2.
So he goes with the audience and we get...

... the correct answer for $8000!

For $16,000:
What is the pen name of Samuel Langhorne Clemens?
A. Mark Twain B. Thomas Wolfe C. Jack London D. Henry Miller

He hates to use up a LifeLine this early--- especially his Phone-a-Friend,
Sharon. She immediately chooses Mark Twain.

Shawn:
"Are you positive?"

Sharon:
"Yes, dear."

Regis:
"Sounds like a very close teacher-student relationship there. All in front of
your wife!"

He sticks with his teacher...

... and gets $16,000!

Quickly, let's Insert the Legal ID here!
WVEC's Countdown to 2000: 39 days. WVEC-TV Hampton/Norfolk.

For $32,000:
What legendary hazz vocalist was known as "Lady Day"?
A. Ella Fitzgerald B. Mahalia Jackson
C. Billy Holiday D. Lena Horne

The 50/50 leaves:

A. Ella Fitzgerald C. Billy Holiday

With $15,000 on the line....

And with little knowledge of jazz music...

He takes the $15,000 flyer on A.

Will it pay off?

Nope. He's got $1000.

The total from 36 contestants is now $3,371,000.

FASTEST FINGER FIRST:

Place these cities in the order they observe the arrival of New Year's Day,
first to last:

A. Paris B. Moscow C. Honolulu D. New York

Correct Order:
B-A-D-C

Winner and time: Lauren Kelner in a close call! 5.25 seconds!

Lauren Kelner works at a children's hospital in Plymouth, MN. His son got his
mom to call... and got her on the show, basically!

For $100:
In "Peter Pan" where does Peter live?
She laughs, but she chooses Neverland. Good for $100.

WFor $200:
Who is credited with inventing the sandwich?
She chooses 4th Earl of Sandwich, from the other choices of Subway and 1st
Duke of Reuben, and Jonathon Club III. $200.

For $300:
what is the name of the tuft of hair that surrounds the head of a male lion?
She chooses mane for $300.

For $500:
Party animal Spuds McKenzie was a pitch dog for which of thefollowing drinks?
A. Bud Light B. Miller Lite C. Coors Light D. Kibbles & Brew
She will Ask the Audience. We get:
88-7-1-4
And she sticks with Bud Light, talking it out. Even though she didn't drink
beer, she remembers the commercials, I'm sure, now.
That's her final answer...
and it's worth $500.

**AH-WHOOOOOO!**

We'll do it to it, one more time, tomorrow night, 8pm/7pm Central. From New
York and Virginia Beach - GOODNIGHT EVERYBODY!

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE? was created by David Briggs with Michael
Whitehill and Steve Knight for Celador Productions, and is produced in the
United States by Valleycrest Productions for Buena Vista Television.
MILLIONAIRE?: Copyright 1999
Valleycrest Productions and Buena Vista Television.
This Update is Copyright 1999 Jeremy Soria.
All Rights Reserved.

All game material contained herein remains the property of Valleycrest and
BVTV. Opinions expressed in this update are solely those of the compiler.

- Jeremy "The McMahon/Austin feud... could easily be interpreted
as a story of love gone wrong." - Heidi McDonald

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE? Watch ABC and find out.
--
jesoria75 (at) | GSN: Have you | If you think Reggie White is | AUSTIN
mindspring (dot) com | played today? | a jackass, gimme a HELL YEAH~! | 3:16

Andre, Kerry, Eddie, Flyin' Brian, Gorilla Monsoon, Owen Hart ... Sigh ...

DCrosby

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
>For $500:
>Party animal Spuds McKenzie was a pitch dog for which of thefollowing drinks?
>A. Bud Light B. Miller Lite C. Coors Light D. Kibbles & Brew
>She will Ask the Audience. We get:
>88-7-1-4
>And she sticks with Bud Light, talking it out. Even though she didn't drink
>beer, she remembers the commercials, I'm sure, now.
>That's her final answer...
>and it's worth $500.

What gets me here is that some of the people in the audience actually went with
"Kibbles and Brew" as their choice (4%). Makes you wonder if some people in the
audience aren't serious with their answers as this is obviously a "joke" answer.

To reply to this post, remove the numbers from my e-mail address.

dcrosby at primenet dot com

C22316

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
>For $32,000:
>What is the largest denomination of US currency to be issued since 1969?
>A. $100 B. $500 C. $1000 D. $10,000
>
>He knocks out A and B, and goes for D.
>
>His final answer is a $15,000 flyer.
>
>And the result...
>
>BRICK. Correct answer is A.
>
>And he looks somewhat relieved that he's leaving the hot seat, considering
>that he looked constipated and not wanting to be in there in the first place.
>
>Personally, I think that question was poorly worded; "largest denomination of
>US currency **still in use today**" would have been a bit more helpful. Then
>again, that would have been giving the contestant a bit too much help, I
>guess?

If they had worded it like you said, then they'd probably be in for a
controversy since $1000 bills still exist, and are still legal tender (at least
I think they are).

Leszek Pawlowicz

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
Is it just me, or have an absurdly large number of contestants had to
use a Lifeline for sub-$1000 questions? On the first series, I thought
only one contestant had to do that (llama-boy) .....

Miss Arlene Francis

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
In article <383b4d54...@news.mindspring.com>,
jesoriaREMO...@mindspring.com (Jeremy Soria) writes:

>For $32,000:
>What is the largest denomination of US currency to be issued since 1969?
>A. $100 B. $500 C. $1000 D. $10,000
>

>Personally, I think that question was poorly worded; "largest denomination of
>US currency **still in use today**" would have been a bit more helpful. Then
>again, that would have been giving the contestant a bit too much help, I
>guess?

That's not the question. You're factually correct, yes, but that wasn't the
question.
About the only way I would change the question is to take the last two words
and move it to the front of the question. (E.g., "Since 1969, what is the
largest...")

'Brian

"Gay at last. Gay at last! Thanks heavens to Betsy, I am GAY AT LAST!"
-- Member of the "Sodomobile", seen on Michael Moore's "The Awful Truth"

Phoebe9294

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
>> For $2000:
>> Which of the following is *NOT* a type of pastry?
>> He chooses "flan" for $2000.
>
>What is a flan, anyway?

Type of custard served in Mexican restaurants.

>I prefer Tom Bergeron's pronunciation better--Sacajawa.

Ben Stein called him on that, too. If I'd been in the hot seat and heard
Sockywocky, I'd have said, "Yes, REGGIS." (Except for all we know, that IS how
Regis is pronounced.)

I had to have my memory jogged on which beer Spuds McKenzie was spokesdog for,
but it wasn't as bad as 11 years ago during the commercial's run when in an
article I almost linked him to Heineken -- about a year before a rumored
sighting of him drinking Heineken became a "Bloom County" plot point.
Teetotalers are such fun with "obvious" beer questions -- we had one writer
refer to a well-known beer as "PAPS Blue Ribbon Beer." "That's Paps Blue Ribbon
Smear!" yelled one wag on the desk.

Gene Rayburn at end of episode: "What can we do in 28 seconds?"
Brett Somers: "The same thing you used to do in 28 minutes!"
-- "Match Game 1974"

Miss Arlene Francis

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
In article <19991124012001...@ng-cj1.aol.com>, c22...@aol.comNOSPAM
(C22316) writes:

>>Personally, I think that question was poorly worded; "largest denomination
>of
>>US currency **still in use today**" would have been a bit more helpful. Then
>>again, that would have been giving the contestant a bit too much help, I
>>guess?
>>

>If they had worded it like you said, then they'd probably be in for a
>controversy since $1000 bills still exist, and are still legal tender (at
>least
>I think they are).

You are correct on both accounts. When a bank encounters someone with a $1,000
bill, they will send it back to the Federal Reserve and get it removed from
circulation.

noclu...@hotmail.com

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 02:28:49 GMT, jesoriaREMO...@mindspring.com
(Jeremy Soria) wrote:
>For $8000:
>What constellation is known as the Hunter?
>A. Orion B. Andromeda
>C. Cassiopeia D. Draco
>Asking the audience, we get 86-8-4-2.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who cringed when he said something
like, "Dang, an astrology question!"

Bennet K. Langlotz

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
phoeb...@aol.com (Phoebe9294) wrote:

>>What is a flan, anyway?
>

>Type of custard served in Mexican restaurants.

And originating in Spain.
--
Bennet K. Langlotz
ne...@langlotz.com

Dave Legler

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
In article <qBJ_3.99838$YB4.3...@typ12.nn.bcandid.com>, "Jason Wuthrich"
<tdwu...@wmis.net> writes:

>> For $32,000:
>> What legendary hazz vocalist was known as "Lady Day"?
>> A. Ella Fitzgerald B. Mahalia Jackson
>> C. Billy Holiday D. Lena Horne
>>
>> The 50/50 leaves:
>>
>> A. Ella Fitzgerald C. Billy Holiday
>>
>> With $15,000 on the line....
>>
>> And with little knowledge of jazz music...
>>
>> He takes the $15,000 flyer on A.
>>
>> Nope. He's got $1000.
>
>I would have gone with A, too. (Of course, this is all academic considering
>I rarely get past the Fastest Finger.)

Well, look at the question and the answers again. If you are going to
guess(like this contestant did), give it more thought. Considering "Day" is
part of the correct answers last name, this would have been the most
appropriate 'guess' if you didn't know.

Ray Delahanty

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
>>> For $32,000:
>>> What legendary hazz vocalist was known as "Lady Day"?
>>> A. Ella Fitzgerald B. Mahalia Jackson
>>> C. Billy Holiday D. Lena Horne
>>>
>>> The 50/50 leaves:
>>>
>>> A. Ella Fitzgerald C. Billy Holiday
>>>
>>> With $15,000 on the line....
>>>
>>> And with little knowledge of jazz music...
>>>
>>> He takes the $15,000 flyer on A.
>>>
>>> Nope. He's got $1000.
>>
>>I would have gone with A, too. (Of course, this is all academic considering
>>I rarely get past the Fastest Finger.)
>>

>Well, look at the question and the answers again. If you are going to
>guess(like this contestant did), give it more thought. Considering "Day" is
>part of the correct answers last name, this would have been the most
>appropriate 'guess' if you didn't know.

Contestant said, well, Ella Fitzgerald is a jazz singer, so I'll go with that.
Obviously, he had no idea who Billie Holiday was. (He also thought the
question about constellations was an "astrology" question!)

RJD

Carrie I Castro

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
Jason Wuthrich wrote:

> Jeremy Soria <jesoriaREMO...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > For $2000:
> > Which of the following is *NOT* a type of pastry?
> > He chooses "flan" for $2000.
>
> What is a flan, anyway?

It's a custardy type of dessert. Quite yummy! :)

Carrie
--
Carrie I. Castro (sia...@fruitbat.org)
Mom of Alexander David Castro born 8/8/97

Phoebe9294

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
>Obviously, he had no idea who Billie Holiday was.

I'd like to think he had her mixed up with Judy Holliday ("Born Yesterday"),
but that's my usual optimism.

Miss Lane

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
>>Obviously, he had no idea who Billie Holiday was.

I think he thought Billie was a man. During his musings, he said something
emphasizing the "Lady" in lady day. Sigh.

Dave Mackey

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
Miss Lane <miss...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >>Obviously, he had no idea who Billie Holiday was.
>
> I think he thought Billie was a man. During his musings, he said something
> emphasizing the "Lady" in lady day. Sigh.

He must have been thinking of Billy Tipton, who thought she was a man as
well...

--
WARNING: Do not add me to ANY
consent. Failure to heed this warning